• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so it's not just me then.
Even my faves from 7 and 8 (Erk and Lute) are pretty much "yup, it's a mage"
Granted you go too far the other direction and you get the Nohr kingdom so I'll take these over that.
Yeah like I don't dislike the designs from the GBA era, but they're practically stock.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
More early TCG images. Shamelessly generic, but it owns the look anyway.

gok86.jpg

vvjn1.jpg

kakfn.jpg

qukz7.jpg

mhkm4.jpg

e3ks1.jpg

znkx1.jpg

yskjq.jpg

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Look at this guy. He is Will, the first archer you have in Fire Emblem Blazing Sword.

Tell me something that stands out in him over any other fantasy archer.

latest

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
yeah. i miss the personality of the GBA era games tbh. three houses looked fine'ish, but i still ended up turning off animations.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
I used to feel the same way too until I looked back at the designs for the earlier ones. They're also really generic - tbh, more generic. The new characters have way more personality.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Most likely nostalgia talking but FE6 and 7 are my absolute favourites. I would love a remake combining both games. I appreciated the relative simplicity of the older games. Skills and some of the mechanics found in the more modern games don't add much to the game to me.

Three Houses nailed the characters imo but I found the story really generic and the maps kind of sucked.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Let's get the best of all worlds in a potential perfect Fire Emblem game:
  • Chara-design: the one from Shadow of Valencia.
  • Battle animations: back to 2D, but this time it's 2D just like the latest Guilty Gear games!
  • Story: the Path of Radiance scenarist told a pretty solid story. Too bad it was badly handled in the sequel imho. We need something new, something fresh, something that is not something like Fates (*shudders*). Three Houses was a step in the right direction, at least.
  • No more "My unit" or a silent protagonist.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
There is no need to go back to GBA or whatever when three years ago we got this:

Unless you means the design of the generic characters, aka the fodders?
Thank God someone posted this, Hidari is a genius

And while I agree that the attack animations in the GBA are gorgeous, the character design was just a bit above average.
Three houses' art is pretty bland imho

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The characters look fine, the attack animations were a lot better in the 3DS games than 3 houses though

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
FE3H is my biggest gaming disappointment of the last few years. We used to travel the lands amassing a team of warriors, now we go to the dorm between each mission. I was really, really expecting to set off and travel the land at the midpoint of the game. The first mission post-even was the best, and I was very disappointed the initial systems kept going until the end. I hope they tone down the personal life simulator aspect of it in future games.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the character designs it was the animation that made GBA FE look good.

Otherwise you'd include the Ike era games too.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I know a lot of people don't like it, but deciding that in new games most characters have a recognizable quirk (and then a few minor ones) is a good idea from a design point of view.

When you have so many characters in a game and some of them spend so little time, you have to find some way to make them recognizable.

Let's compare the "two knights" of Blazing Sword and Three Houses. One is serious, stoic and professional. The other is a ladies' man, laid back, and a joker.

latest

latest
latest

In Three Houses those features look much better to the naked eye with the design.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Fire Emblem is the textbook example of a series that strictly follows the designs of the anime industry of the time so I don't know what they could change really.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Do you mean character designs? Because if so I would hard disagree. They looked pretty good before but I believe the character designs of the Three Houses cast are the best in the series, especially the post time skip designs (though some characters like Byleth leave something to be desired). The design of the three Lords are the highlight of the series imo.

If you mean the design of generic units, meh they are pretty much the same to me. GBA animations are amazing though, I think Three Houses went a bit backwards compared to Shadow of Valentia.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the game selling much better now? And there houses was fantastic. I get nostalgia and longing for better days but if they're producing something that is doing well commercially and critically why go back.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
ITT ppl arguing over different anime styles

I agree with OP that the GBA games were stylish and colorful AF. The critical hit animations were god tier over the top.

But it's a combo of art, animation, sound effects, and camera movements.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Before seeing the timeskip designs in 3H I would've said Tellius had the best character designs because 3DS FE was more often a miss as far as character designs. But the timeskip designs are so good, and SoV had amazing designs as well. GBA FE has some good ones but a lot are forgettable tbh.

As for animations, while I love the GBA ones I think SoV and even Fates were pretty good in that regard. 3H also has some very cool ones, especially for the lords.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I just want good animations again. Starting from Shadow Dragon, the crits suck ass. I just turn off animations immediately now.

Nov 1, 2017
Things that I miss from the GBA the most are bright colors and snappy animations. When Awakening came out I felt like there was a bit of a shift from both those things, although when you look at the franchise as a whole then maybe the GBA is the outliers. At this point even if they go back to a brighter color palette I think nailing the animations is going to be tough. I've moved to a point where I turn off the battle animations because the time taken to transition and play it out takes way too long. If they can somehow keep the snapiness or just make the "animations off" setting somehow a little more satisfying I'd be happy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking animations or designs?

Animation-wise, Berwick Saga is top dog IMO, followed closely by Tear RIng Saga. (If you haven't played either of those, you should!) With regard to Fire Emblems specifically, I think the GBA & SNES entries are the best, each having pros and cons. The continuous battlefields of the SNES are more immersive, but the flashier animations of the GBA are very endearing.

Character design-wise, Shadows of Valentia was the best of the modern games, but I greatly prefer Three Houses to Awakening/Fates. Three Houses' lords in particular are all top tier designs. (Three Houses also has some absolutely stand-out animations -- e.g. Edelgard's post-skip shield toss, harkening back to GBA's style -- but they're rather rare.)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The two GBA games are the only ones I've played, and the art style and animation are fantastic

Great games

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Fire Emblem has long been one of my favorite series but nah lol the character designs were super bland on the GBA and earlier. Good sprites and great animations though for sure.

Best designs are probably in Echoes (funny enough, also my least-favorite game in the series). Three Houses also has good designs. Awakening and Fates are up and down but overall I'd still take them over the pre-Tellius designs pretty easily. The Tellius games do have good designs and and felt like a more natural evolution of the previous art style so I guess I'd be fine going back to that look.

I'm pretty okay with them going to new artists for newer games.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
those games are 3d rendered, bud
... Huh. I thought they used 2D models? Unless I got confused with other similar fighting games (such as Persona 4 Arena). Granted, I only watched a few videos of these games, and I thought the artstyle was fantastic. So, they use 3D rendering to make 2D-looking animation... That's impressive. Well, I learned something today.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I miss GBA-style Fire Emblem battle animations so much. There are like two crit animations in Three Houses that actually feel stylish and cool and they're still nowhere near the artistic majesty of the sprite-based Fire Emblem animations.

3D models just don't work well for this kind of stuff, or at least the way IntSys rigs and animates 3D models isn't well-suited for it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The sprite animations are dope in older games but the variety in character design in 3 houses is pretty great

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Haha I just realized that the first image in the OP isn't even from a GBA Fire Emblem game, it's a fan edit of Sharena from Fire Emblem Heroes fighting Bartre from Binding Blade/Blazing Blade.

Aren't similar and common traits especially in regards to character designs being the same but just variances in color scheme the very different of "Generic" as opposed to entirely unique character models or sprite designs.

Seems like Generic is the incorrect context to use this case as per the OP.

Er, yes? That's the point, the GBA games by and large do not have unique character models or sprite designs in combat, just different tints.

Oct 27, 2017
yea.....
I like the graphics for the GBA games but tbh i found pre-Awakeing FE to have very generic designs outside of Ike
Im glad with what we have now tbh

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Play đź‘Ź Berwick đź‘Ź Saga đź‘Ź

gZmJv9.gif

5QNyNB.gif

Jy36Gl.gif

1WJwmo.gif

Also, watch its short intro sequence! iI's beautiful:

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the animation the sprites have dots for eyes, what's so amazing about that?

Looks like FE always been anime af.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
... Huh. I thought they used 2D models? Unless I got confused with other similar fighting games (such as Persona 4 Arena). Granted, I only watched a few videos of these games, and I thought the artstyle was fantastic. So, they use 3D rendering to make 2D-looking animation... That's impressive. Well, I learned something today.

Guilty Gear Xrd and Strive are both 3D, yep. So is Dragon Ball FighterZ and Granblue Fantasy Versus. They're all made to look as close to 2D animation as possible.