• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm not mistaken I think Inafune said that they planned to do remakes of X2 and X3 had Maverick Hunter did well. I'm not sure what the reception of the game is here on ERA, but I liked it alot and the animated short film. The music was decent and I really liked the updated designs for the Mavericks, plus we got X's best voice actor to date (Sigma...not so much. At least not the laugh) Vile was a pretty dope addition and I enjoyed playing him as well.

Fond memories man...brb gonna go dust off my PSP

Oct 27, 2017
Well said,

Remember, the digital copy works on both Vita and PSTV, too!

(Still waiting for Megaman Powered Up digitally)

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I had never played X and considered that being my first foray into it; couldn't do it, it looks like complete ass. Like a prototype for all the awful mobile 3D remakes we were soon to receive.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maverick Hunter X tried very hard to make me dislike Mega Man X. What an ugly game, up there with the Rondo of Blood remake.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Liked the game. Being able to play as Vile was pretty cool and I liked the English voice acting.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I can certainly appreciate what it was trying to do, even if I will always prefer the 16-bit original.

But I will forever question Inafune and co.'s decision to make it (and Mega Man Powered Up, on the same token) a PSP game, when the PS2 and GC had proven themselves to be reliable options for releasing "console-quality" Mega Man games. The MMX Collection got neutered for nothing, basically.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Day of Sigma was sweet, I'd definitely take a small series like that OVA.
The game will forever* live in my Vita.

*While Sony's servers will it so

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for the time it was pretty great. but this was before the 2D/indie renaissance

if that was what they were sticking with i can't call it a total loss

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Yeah, it's a huge bummer. That we even got Mark Gatha as X was such a gift and a good apology for MM8/MMX4 dubs

The last encounter with Sigma was a highlight for me, that passion!

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The original MMX is still king, but I loved Maverick Hunter X in its own right and also wish it had done better so we could've gotten Maverick Hunter X2-X5 as planned.

The PSP's relative lack of market penetration at the time it was released (heart) tanked any chances it ever had, though. Deserved better. :(

And yeah, Mark Gatha was the *perfect* voice for X. Just amazing. I'm always gonna miss him and I hope they can find someone even half as appropriate if/when X9 finally happens.

They should stay far, far away from the guy who did his voice in MvC Infinite, though. Ugh.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. Seeing how well Vile Mode turned out, I was really jazzed for the inevitable Zero Modes Maverick Hunter X2/X3 would've brought with it.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Well... I don't know guys, but I always found all those Capcom projects on PSP aesthetically unappealing since day one. That type of polygons on MMX really doesn't work on the series imho.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why these Capcom games all stayed PSP exclusive. It's so unlike Capcom to spend time and money on a game and then lock it to one system.
I always expected Maverick Hunter, Powered Up and Ultimate G&G to appear on PS3/360, but never did.

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Maverick Hunter X and Powered Up are my two favorite titles in the series. I'm still upset we never got more in their respective styles.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maverick Hunter X was great and I wish they actually got to my favorite X-games in the remake series before giving up. Only one game just was not enough. :(

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
MHX is the de facto best version of MMX to me. I loved the remixes and thought the graphics were gorgeous for its time. But the best part hands-down was Vile Mode. I love it when devs make me something I didn't even know I wanted. That (and I think hard mode?) added tons of replayability to a game I had played to death and back.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I thought it was a really interesting approach to a remake, and it really threw me for a loop that some of the power-ups are located in different areas. I really need to play it again. Thankfully, I have it installed on my PlayStation TV.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would've done anything for X2 remake. :(

X2 is the only one of the early X-series games I don't really have any fondness for! I think I only rented it once? I had MMX on SNES and X3 on PC and X4 on PS1 but I never actually owned 2, so I don't really have the same nostalgia for it that I do for 3 and 4. But I know it's a lot of people's favorite X-game for sure.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I never understood why these Capcom games all stayed PSP exclusive. It's so unlike Capcom to spend time and money on a game and then lock it to one system.
I always expected Maverick Hunter, Powered Up and Ultimate G&G to appear on PS3/360, but never did.
Capcom did the same thing with many of their Sega Dreamcast games. Not sure why.

As for Maverick Hunter X, it was okay at best. While I appreciate what Capcom was trying to go for, they got way too ambitious and probably should've just put out a compilation of the Mega Man and Mega Man X games on the PSP.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
X2 is the only one of the early X-series games I don't really have any fondness for! I think I only rented it once? I had MMX on SNES and X3 on PC and X4 on PS1 but I never actually owned 2, so I don't really have the same nostalgia for it that I do for 3 and 4. But I know it's a lot of people's favorite X-game for sure.
I can understand that. Growing up, X2 and X3 were my go to games. I've got very good memories of X2, especially the Bubble Crab's stage theme.

Nov 18, 2017
Maverick Hunter X was the reason i bought a PSP and it was pretty much the only thing i played on it before trading it in.

It was my first introduction to MMX1, id only played X7 & X8 at that point and to be honest i freaking loved it.

So dissapointed they nevergave X2 the same treatment, ah well.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, I played a shiiiit load of this game. I was always disappointed it did so poorly. This and Gitaroo Man never left my PSP case.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Although I didn't enjoy it when I played it, I also wish it did well. The X series needs a serious overhaul to it's narrative.

Also really liked that they were finally giving X his due spotlight for his own series.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I like the original MMX much more, but the new bells and whistles of Maverick Hunter X were cool. I'd have been curious how they would have fixed MMX6 and X7 if they had gotten to them.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maverick Hunter X and especially Mega Man Powered Up deserved much better than the PSP.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked everything about Maverick Hunter X but it's art-style. That's cheap 3D model look was awful. I understand it was for the most part a budget PSP game in that regard, but it didn't help the game stand the test of time.

I liked pretty much everything else about and surrounding it.

Hell there's even dialog where X resolves to do his job as a fucking Maverick Hunter against his former allies, you HEAR the tone change in his voice after reason fails, it's really good shit.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I enjoyed both psp remakes and wish they had done better so they could continue the series. It would have been great to see that level creator keep getting improved upon with each release.

Mar 30, 2019
I liked it, but the original was just superior. I prefer that style for the classic series like Powered Up. The Zero and ZX series were the real spirit of the X series. I just want that type of action to come back. I won't say no to a Maverick Hunter 2 though. That would be really cool.