• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Lego minifigures are iconic.

LMFGLDC79577.jpg

LEGO-Jurassic-World-75936-Jurassic-Park-T.-rex-Rampage-Review-65-1024x538.jpg

LEGO-Stranger-Things-75810-The-Upside-Down-Review-71-1024x538.jpg

LEGO%20Minifigures%20The%20Wizard%20of%20Oz%2003.jpg

LEGO-Simpsons-Minifigures.jpg

23466171554_7724957f72_4k.jpg

71022-Harry-Potter-Fantastic-Beasts-Collectible-Minifigures-100.jpg

lord-rings-guide-journey-middle-earth.jpg

LEGO-Star-Wars-75290-Mos-Eisley-Cantina-TBB-Review-76-1536x806.jpg

Lego minifigures are one of the greatest forms of collectibles when it comes to favorite characters from films, TV shows, games, etcetera. I would say the Lego minifigure is probably the most iconic way to represent a character in toy form, because I think Lego minifigures will be timeless toys, still relevant decades into the future.

The problem?
54246_box%20images%20(3).jpg

More often than not, people find themselves priced out of obtaining the minifigures, if the set itself is large. For instance, this Sesame Street set is $120. Another good example of this is the recently released Most Eisley Cantina from Star Wars. The set is priced at $350, with various new characters never before seen in Lego, who will likely remain exclusive to this set alone. There's a large, molded Dewback creature in this set as well, the which hasn't been released in years. But it's locked behind a $350 price tag, so most kids will never have that certain character or that certain creature in their collection.

I get it. I understand that it's a calculated marketing strategy to lock highly sought after characters behind pricier sets. It's a legitimate strategy, and it definitely works. I just wish there were another way. I've been looking to obtain some 'definitive' versions of Star Wars characters to display on my desk at home. As the sets are only on store shelves for 2 years, the aftermarket prices on both sets and individual minifigures is staggeringly high.

I believe Lego could make an absolute killing if they followed the Funko Pop formula and released far more Collectible Minifigure lines. They've dabbled in this a bit with series like Disney characters, the Simpsons, and Harry Potter. Lego Dimensions had various pop culture characters such as ET, Beetlejuice, Gizmo, and so forth. I'd like to see them really expand and see how well they can do on selling non blind bag characters. Have it where you know exactly who or what you are getting. They could even do them as the character plus a small, brick built diorama that suits that character, for 9.99 or 12.99, or simply 4.99-5.99 for just the character itself and a small tile plate to stand on.

Collectors would go nuts for every last shred of Star Wars characters.

They also seem to be hitting it off well with Nintendo. A Collectible minifigure line for Mario, or Nintendo as a whole would be insane. They could even launch a Mario Kart series with track building and working karts.

I'm rambling, but the gist of what I'm saying is that it would be great if Lego focused more on pushing individual Minifigures in a similar way to how many characters you can find represented in Funko Pops on store shelves.

Do you think this would destroy the marketing strategy for Lego's bigger, more expensive sets?

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when they launched that LEGO Ideas Doctor Who set, I was really hoping they would do a blind bag set with all the doctors and some popular companions.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Yes it would. Look are all those awful marvel sets. People buy them for the Minifigures not for the sets themselves and Lego knows it.

I'm all for selling them individually as long as they stop selling them in those bags.
You can also buy them individually on bricklink.

It's rumored that the next series will be
Looney toons and after that a marvel series.

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Would be cool. I have a few that were in those random bags (though you can still feel what is inside which made it easy to find the Steamboat Mickey and Minnie that I was after. I would buy more if they were easier to get. They aren't so I don't bother thus Lego doesn't get my money.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Would be cool. I have a few that were in those random bags (though you can still feel what is inside which made it easy to find the Steamboat Mickey and Minnie that I was after. I would buy more if they were easier to get. They aren't so I don't bother thus Lego doesn't get my money.

Before the pandemic the Lego store here would put labels on the bags with what character was inside.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The Dimensions (that worked with the video game) line of minifigs was great.

So many different franchises that never would have gotten minifigs. Gremlins, Portal, Mission Impossible, Knight Rider, etc.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I would love to see more minifigures. Honestly, they're probably my favorite part of lego sets. They've released some great individual minifigures for that "minifigures" series and it would be great to get more from other series, like Star Wars or Zelda, or yeah Nintendo as a whole.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I hate the blind bags.

I'm no good at feeling for them (not that I want to ever again after Covid), so it's worth it for me just to go to Bricklink and buy the exact one I want for a bit more money. Still cheaper than buying 6 blind bags and only getting one that I actually want (and duplicates of ones I don't want, haha).

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My local comic shop sells some third party minifigs that are pretty decent. My kids love them at least, and it's cool that they can get whatever obscure character they happen to be into atm.
Would buy official lego minifigs in a heartbeat though

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as the blind bags hit $5 I nope'd out. $3 was easy impulse-buy territory. $4 was somewhat passable.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of...I dunno...makes me sad? Not to put too fine a point on it but these are kids toys. I get that it's not the best business model but this kind of thing should be nowehere near blind bags, or locking popular licenced characters behind pricey sets.

I love Lego, I'd love it a lot more if they did less of this nonsense.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Feel like the collectors market for these is going up, on more than one occasion in the last several months I've noticed people rooting through store end caps of the Marvel or the Harry Potter mini figures.

I bought a couple of the HP ones a while back for the hell of it and got Dumbledore and Harry, got pretty lucky I guess.

I personally I'm a sucker for the minifigures in food suits. The guy in the banana suit, guy in the corn cob suit, guy in the hot dog suit. Those are my favorites.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I kind of prefer Lego doing their own thing, and not getting to bogged down in licenses. Their Ideas and Creator lines are the ones that I find catch the spirit of older Lego the best. I'm not immune to licenses, I've bought both the Doctor Who set and the NES, but I'm more excited with their modular buidings and stuff like the new Blacksmith set.

And blind bags are shit. They honestly have no place being peddled to kids.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I somewhat agree, but tbh I'd be way more excited if lego made more adult sets akin to the modular building sets. Lego Pirates and Lego Castle with that build quality would sell out instantly and constantly.

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
They're not allowed to for a lot of the licensed stuff. For example, Hasbro can make Star Wars action figures, not lego. So they have to sell them with full Lego sets to get around that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This is why Lego is a high theft item at places like Wal-mart. People frequently bust into the boxes to steal the mini figs. When I worked in claims once a day I'd have to inspect any damaged lego boxes to make sure everything was still in the box so we could sell it discounted, otherwise it had to be claimed.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
After collecting a handful of the earlier minifig series, I just purchase the ones I want for a couple of bucks more off eBay or BrickLink. Ain't got time for that bag feeling nonsense. The extra money spent is worth the time saved feeing bags and/or purchasing duplicates I don't want or need.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I'd love if they did more minifigs for the Spider-Man PS games. I won the Miles Morales, but the market for the Advanced Suit from the original is crazy.

VillX

Jun 19, 2018
Some people in this thread have gotten close some of the reasons why they don't, and OPs post even covers a big one being that having the highly desired minifigs in a set brings them in more money. The other big reason is they can't guarantee a line of blindbags (or non blindbag in this case) will sell well. I was privileged enough to get a decent view of how Lego retail trends works in the US for a while, and I was surprised to see just how bad some of the collectible lines sold. The only ones that sell consistently were either the original Lego brand ones (though that's not even a guarantee), or the highly desirable licensed brands, like HP and DC. The problem with the licensed ones selling is Lego is not making nearly enough off of them to justify the cost of making a new print and molds for the minifigs, and establishing the different distribution that blindbags call for, so with each line they make they're experimenting and guessing how much they should make so they don't end up with a situation where a line just lingers on shelves forever, which has happened before.

So, while it seems like a good idea on the surface, it's just not feasible for Lego because of how they operate. They're a very slow-moving and cautious company, for instance, they're only just now starting to make more sets aimed at adults. Meanwhile, Funko can get away with sending out a bunch of themed figures for everything under the sun, because even if some figures do bad, the others will recoup the cost easily because they're constantly moving on to the next thing non stop (Though I would love to get a view of how those margins works, because wow, they sure do make figures for everything). Lego on the other hand, is extremely picky about their quality, and needs every line to do at least decently for them to make back their investment. In the end, it's way safer to put those minifigs in sets and know that they'll get a bigger sale there. They can overcharge on a licensed set with less bricks in it but some highly desirable minifigs in it, and they recoup the license fee and then get extra money to reinvest into their original lines.

I could go on for a while about the inner machinations of how Lego goes about selling and deciding lines and such, but this isn't the place, and I think my explanation above is probably already confusing enough.

I guess to end this long ramble, I'll say that I too wish they would do more with collectable minifig lines, and even branch out into other cool collectable things, cause I'm sure there would be a market for them, but I also have had the chance to see how the Lego "machine" works, and I just don't see it happening. They'll just as soon end a line that is only doing okay to make sure they don't have extra sets sitting on a shelf a year later.

also my post above is just opinion and speculation, and doesn't represent Lego as a company etc etc.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Lego minifigures are iconic.

Collectors would go nuts for every last shred of Star Wars characters.

They also seem to be hitting it off well with Nintendo. A Collectible minifigure line for Mario, or Nintendo as a whole would be insane. They could even launch a Mario Kart series with track building and working karts.

I'm rambling, but the gist of what I'm saying is that it would be great if Lego focused more on pushing individual Minifigures in a similar way to how many characters you can find represented in Funko Pops on store shelves.

Do you think this would destroy the marketing strategy for Lego's bigger, more expensive sets?

They can't go hard on selling individual figures because then they are considered "action figures" and they don't have license to make action figures. That's why they have these throwaway $10-20 builds with 4 minifigures. Troop builder stuff. Notice they've never done a blind bag of Star Wars. So it is all about the license deal they work with the IP holder. Their own IP like Ninjago have smaller packers that are a bit more figure focused.

Bricklink can be your friend instead of buying the $200 set for a figure.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
They can't go hard on selling individual figures because then they are considered "action figures" and they don't have license to make action figures. That's why they have these throwaway $10-20 builds with 4 minifigures. Troop builder stuff. Notice they've never done a blind bag of Star Wars. So it is all about the license deal they work with the IP holder. Their own IP like Ninjago have smaller packers that are a bit more figure focused.

Bricklink can be your friend instead of buying the $200 set for a figure.

There are also magazines in Europe that include minifigures.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
I think they get away with that because they market it as a magazine with a promo. Also, I thought those were just mini-builds? I am in the US so I don't know what exactly they get.

They do have both mini-buils and figures. Not just for star-wars but for several lines. They used to have batman too.

brickset.com

LEGO Star Wars Magazine Gift

LEGO set database: LEGO Star Wars Magazine Gift

LSW-43-Cover.jpg

Last edited: