• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FFT?

• It's amazing

Votes: 173 74.2%
  • It's okay

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • It's not great

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
I'm on Chapter 3, and I just can't see any appeal in this game, except maybe it's story and job system.

Every turn takes ages to finish, there's so many button presses needed to just move a character to a space and wait, even "random" battles can take around 10-15 minutes, and tutorials about all the systems and how to actually change jobs are all tucked away in a menu rather than shown anywhere during gameplay

The story is so confusing. They introduce new characters so fast I can't keep track of anyone's motives in this political nightmare. Maybe I set it up for failure because I always heard how great FFT was, but it feels like a big waste of time

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Which version are you playing? The original PS1 version has an atrocious localization. The story makes way more sense in The War of the Lions, if you have access to that version.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I loved it when it first came out but it is definitely hard to go back to. The turns just take so long. I was playing my original copy so I'm sure there are newer/faster ways to play but I just couldnt get over how slow everything was.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Oh wow, Chapter 3 is decently deep into the game. I'd say if you weren't feeling the love by now, it might not be for you.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Best single player game with Final Fantasy in the title and it's not even close

OP
OP
MillionStabs

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
... So the two most important aspects of the game?
I left out the somewhat unique (to FF) battle system cause I think it sucks, but I know that's why some people like it
Which version are you playing? The original PS1 version has an atrocious localization. The story makes way more sense in The War of the Lions, if you have access to that version.
I am playing WOTL, but I still have trouble following the story cause characters will be like "oh that Gauloiux is behind it all" or whatever and I can't remember who that is cause he showed up once in a dialouge like 2 hours ago.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It might not be for you, OP, but WotL is very expertly plotted and while you might need to pay close attention to the shifting alliances and motives, it's all perfectly followable.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
yeah the game needs some serious QOL changes. I wish it had a remake like the PSP Tactics Ogre

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno what to say about the story being too confusing, but Tactics Ogre remake on PSP/Vita fixes all of those QoL problems you have.

It is a 23 year old game, afterall.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
FFT battles are nothing compared to Tactics Ogre fights, those last forever.
Replaying through TO now and as much as I absolutely love this game, I think that FFT has its systems down better and in general feels better to play. Also, maybe try out Fell Seal if you want a way more streamlined tactics RPG, it's great.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the best final fantasy game. The music, job system, characters and story were great. Looks like it just isn't for you OP.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
My buddy who adores this game tried to get me into it as well. Wasn't feeling it at all to be honest. The combat was awkward, he was trying to get me to cheese job points or whatever there called and I'm like bro I'm not gonna sit here and throw rocks at these fools just for some extra points (I'm not one for needless grinding in games.) The story came at a glacial pace, at least in the first 4-5 hours of the game. Probably doesn't help that I think this game was probably truly great for its time, but compared to some of the tactics games that I've played that have come after it I don't think it really holds up. So yea the modern day version of myself can't see what other people see in this game.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
It may be my favorite game of all time. At the very least, it's top 3. Story, job system, music are all 10/10.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely appreciate it, as it just looks and sounds so beautiful, but the problem is with me and my inability to do well at tactics/strategy games. The only one I've ever been able to crack was Mario + Rabbids, which I don't even know if that qualifies as being in the same genre, but maybe it is.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was okay but that's a game that can definitely use some quality of life improvements. As you said, turns take forever and gameplay in general just doesn't feel satisfying. Even the story didn't really do much for me.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
MatureUnluckyIndianglassfish-size_restricted.gif

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most strategy JRPGs are just so obnoxiously slow in processing turns and showing moves. Like get on with it already.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game. And more so war of the lions.

pro ti op. When you finish war of the lions get: Tactics Ogre: let us cling together.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Yep, couldn't get into it. It's slow and clunky. But somehow FFTA2 is one of my favorite DS games, even though it also has slow turns and other problems.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Every day I wish Square would port War of the Lions to a modern console. I can play it on my Vita but I want it on my big screen with trophies...

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I love the game, but yeah I wish they could tone down the random encounter rate or dial back the random enemies' level scaling. And maybe tone down the 'grinding for JP' aspect a little bit.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Amazing game. Saw some tweets of someone struggling with the game and it made me want to play it again so bad. Going through the WotL version with the speed patch and it's superb. Everything about the game is great imo, and finally being able to understand the story makes a big difference.

The fun is in the job system. Keep your party tight to Ramza and 4 hires to start, go for good abilities like Focus, JP plus, move+1, then switch to other classes. I love making builds in this game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
one of the GOATs but going into it blind in 2020 dunno what i'd think of it to be honest

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP... I still like the game but it's got so much filler and the strategy gameplay is just not that great. It's fun to try and minmax your characters though.

It's way better than Tactics Ogre though. That game has so many throwaway characters, so many convoluted systems, such overly long missions, and such an overdone pompous translation. Really don't understand what people see in that game, other than how it allows you to grind so much.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same way, this game and Tactics Ogre. They look so cool and seem so interesting and are such a slog to get into.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Have you tried the FFTA games? They're a lot more quick and pick-up-and-play friendly from what I played. The stories aren't anywhere comparable though.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
The matches just last too long.....but to counter disgaea at least From what I've played matches feel too fillery. Idk what a good balance is.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I liked Street Fighter

I've played some online matches and can't see any appeal except for the fighting

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I don't like srpgs( too slow, no exploration/sense of adventure), but I do like Final Fantasy Tactics, mostly because of its setting, story and music. I like the job system as well, but the battles are super slow and they can get pretty tedious, pretty fast. Luckily, the music is incredible and helps to push you through some of the tedium. Here are some standout tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NWKR5p3JNQ&list=PL5C894E719DEECEB2&index=6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmUsHH5lxsA&list=PL5C894E719DEECEB2&index=9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAerlH_sozg&list=PL5C894E719DEECEB2&index=28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq8Gq1-Nv44&list=PL5C894E719DEECEB2&index=71

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I'm playing it in this period (beginning of chapter 4) and as far as I'm concerned, this game is better than any other mainline FF.
Wiegraf battle though is really a bad designed one.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm not really sure if OP has a problem with FFT specifically or just aren't into srpgs in general.

If anything, try to play these older srpgs in an emulator for its frameskip functions.