• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
It really would. Toggles have helped me in the past for certain games.

I mean, if I had 50 quarters back in the arcade days there's not much difference there. Credits are just another way of saying, "how much money are you pouring into this machine to stay alive?" A regular game at least boots you to a menu or the title that you can continue from, an arcade game ceases to function for you without money.
I guess I was specifically talking about arcade collections on modern consoles. Something like the Capcom Arcade Collection or Beat Em Up collections or any of the Hamster stuff. They allow you to keep pressing the credit button to continue. I didn't know if, in that case, you would just continue until you beat the game.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I guess I was specifically talking about arcade collections on modern consoles. Something like the Capcom Arcade Collection or Beat Em Up collections or any of the Hamster stuff. They allow you to keep pressing the credit button to continue. I didn't know if, in that case, you would just continue until you beat the game.

Basically, which is kinda why I don't find many arcade games very fun outside of their original context. It expects me to keep going through the grind and in an arcade I remember feeling the rush with that. But otherwise I'm just blazing through things otherwise, nothing can stop me because the game says I have the money to keep going forever.

No, you don't get to "see? your disagreement proves I was right" out of this one.
There's literally nothing devs can do to keep you from compulsively cheating yourself out of satisfaction, and it's also not their responsibility to prevent you from doing so.
This disagreement proves I was right that no one gives a damn. It doesn't convince them of my problem.

A simple on/off button for their feature that wasn't part of these games in the first place is all I want. Some people don't want to/ or can't deal with the difficulty of these old games vanilla, fine, I think that's valid. I do.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I completely get it, OP. When I play games for the first time, if I already have heard about some gamebreaking strategy or something like that that trivializes a lot of the game, it takes a lot of willpower to not do it, to the point that it hampers my enjoyment of the game to an extent. Something about feeling like I'm wasting my time not playing optimally or something even though I know it doesn't matter. It's really gross that people in this thread are acting like they know your brain better than you do, sometimes peoples' brains are pretty much unexplainable. I don't see how having the option would hurt anyone tbh

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I put it into sleep mode, a menu will pop up to ask me if I want to reset the mapping. Otherwise it's a bit of a slog to trek through controller menus.

I like that. That sounds cool.
Sounds like that's your best bet in terms of what you can do to prevent the game from triggering your impulses.
From there, I think it'll do good to recognize those intrusive thoughts when you start to become aware of them. If "activating the rewind" is the thought that leads to doing it, then you can practice recognizing that thought as intrusive.

Mindfulness exercises have really helped me get a better grip over my immediate, impulsive thoughts.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite reaction.

I wish rewind was in every difficult game.

I would have abused the fuck out of it playing Metroid Dread. And probably Elden Rings too when I get it later this year.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Sounds like that's your best bet in terms of what you can do to prevent the game from triggering your impulses.
From there, I think it'll do good to recognize those intrusive thoughts when you start to become aware of them. If "activating the rewind" is the thought that leads to doing it, then you can practice recognizing that thought as intrusive.

Mindfulness exercises have really helped me get a better grip over my immediate, impulsive thoughts.

Yeah mindfulness exercises really do help me when I do them, I have to practice them more. I appreciate the advice.

I wish they had rewind for the N64 games so I wouldn't abuse save states

It's funny, I actually like the N64 one for this reason. It's too inconvenient for me to abuse save states, so I feel I'm getting the vanilla experience I want.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Yeah? Well that's more likely to be resolved than what I want at some point.

As it should be, since unlike the rewind features we don't have a choice in putting up with the borders or not.

I get that you don't like the idea of rewind being so ready and accessible to you, but I can see why Nintendo wouldn't want to hide it from people that would otherwise easily get frustrated and quit.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
As it should be, since unlike the rewind features we don't have a choice in putting up with the borders or not.

I get that you don't like the idea of rewind being so ready and accessible to you, but I can see why Nintendo wouldn't want to hide it from people that would otherwise easily get frustrated and quit.

Don't get me wrong, I think the borders are a bigger issue. And would put it ahead of my problem because it has a wider effect. I was mostly expressing my frustration at the immediate dismissal I knew was coming.

It's not even the the dismissal, it's the fact the FIRST 3 posts outright ignored my subject to peddle their jokes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's fun watching people rush in to delegitimize the OP's issue; that this can't be that big a deal to him, that his suggestions would never work and he'd keep doing it anyway; it's almost as if some people think they understand OP's brain better than he does! Not to mention the immediate thread derailment from two moderators in the first two replies.

Accessibility discussions on Era are doomed to fail because few are actively willing to put themselves in the shoes of others.

Sure, the lack of border options is something that bothers a lot more people; that should be addressed; but it doesn't mean the OP's request couldn't also be addressed. Not that I think either will be fixed anytime soon; the barebones options seems to be a feature in Nintendo's eyes; but it's still worth talking about it.

As for the issue itself, I agree that temporarily disabling the triggers using the Switch's button remapping feature is the easiest thing you could do for now, OP; if you want to keep using the NSO apps at least.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
A simple on/off button for their feature that wasn't part of these games in the first place is all I want. Some people don't want to/ or can't deal with the difficulty of these old games vanilla, fine, I think that's valid. I do.
The thing is you're asking for devs to put in more work on something that's going to be just as easily crossable as simply not doing it. And as MondoMega said above is easily implemented by disabling the triggers. I think that's generally why people aren't taking your complaint seriously.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's as basic as that. I don't mind the option being there, and I believe it has made playing a lot of games from the 16-bit and 8-bit era more accessible to me, but then there have been other game experiences it made me feel more unfulfilled by. I have poor self-control and addictive problems, that pace-breakers like deaths in most modern games serve as a very good break off point for me when playing certain games. And some games, I feel like are just not satisfying when I blitz through them with it.

Yeah, you can make fun of me for having poor self-control. I admit it, but it just is what it is. And I find that rewind feature incredibly intruisive for me in certain games. Replaying a lot of SEGA Genesis and SNES games and reaching moments of death or punishment are usually just wiped away for me and I overcome intense obstacles with kind of a lot of brute forcing. I know with certain games like Mean Bean Machine I've escaped losing so many times just through this strat, and I don't feel good for it. I feel like I just wasted a few minutes beating my head against a wall repeatedly.

Granted, there are certain games that I really appreciate the feature in, ESPECIALLY on the Genesis side of the platform. There's no denying there was a lot of BS design made back then just to extend the length of a game, and not all the obstacles are made to be fair. I know I wouldn't have enjoyed playing Ecco the Dolphin half as much without the rewind feature to make up for all the blindsiding I took in that game.

I just wish I could manually turn it off and on for some experiences. As it is now, it's so conveniently placed I find myself brute forcing myself through challenges rather than just adapting and growing from them. And I just find that has sucked out a lot of the fun of these games for me.

I've been able to use the system remapping to disable the trigger buttons, but then that means I'm also losing menu access and save-states which is quite annoying. I just want a simple on and off button.
I feel the same way about difficulty options in games too, one of the reasons I enjoy fromsoftware games

The rewind is just another form of difficulty option

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
The thing is you're asking for devs to work on an extra step that's going to be just as easily crossable as simply not doing it.

You really don't know me when you say stuff like that. I tell you it would help, and I know what would help me. I even remarked to someone else I like that N64 doesn't have it because it means I'm playing normally.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Then I guess I don't see what discussion there is to be had.

That doesn't invalidate you discussing here. You don't understand my problem, which is fine; it's a very specific one. There are some here who do and understand. And hey, it makes me not feel so alone in this issue, but it's good to just let people even people like you know that I'm here, even if you dismiss me.

There's just as much worth as there is in complaining about games having or not having accessibility options and how that affects your experience.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry you're being dismissed in your own thread, even potentially having it derailed by staff. Great look there, mods.

I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you, BossDumDrum.

I had more to say, but my god, what a wonderfully "inclusive" forum ERA has become while I've been away.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
That doesn't invalidate you discussing here. You don't understand my problem, which is fine; it's a very specific one. There are some here who do and understand. And hey, it makes me not feel so alone in this issue, but it's good to just let people even people like you know that I'm here, even if you dismiss me.

There's just as much worth as there is in complaining about games having or not having accessibility options and how that affects your experience.
I think disabling the triggers using the Switch's button mapping options would help with your issue a lot, just replying to your post so it's more visible to you.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I think disabling the triggers using the Switch's button mapping options would help with your issue a lot, just replying to your post so it's more visible to you.

Oh yeah, that's what I do right now. And I wrote that I do it like that in my first post. I don't like that I need to do it like that, but oh well.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with giving into your unconscious whims and rewinding some old game, it's your body trying to tell you something, listen to it. It's just games, they don't matter.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
There's nothing wrong with giving into your unconscious whims and rewinding some old game, it's your body trying to tell you something, listen to it. It's just games, they don't matter.

... I don't have fun that way for certain games. Others I'm fine with when I do my research and know which ones are just relying on bullshit rather than substantial difficulty (like Ecco the Dolphin.) But then I play Donkey Kong Country 3 and I'm trying to enjoy a normal playthrough and constantly the rewind becomes a problem of me stop-start-stop-start-stop-start.

That's not fun to me. And I don't consider that fun.

More power to people who find it enjoyable that way. I'm not one of them.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
... I don't have fun that way for certain games. Others I'm fine with when I do my research and know which ones are just relying on bullshit rather than substantial difficulty (like Ecco the Dolphin.) But then I play Donkey Kong Country 3 and I'm trying to enjoy a normal playthrough and constantly the rewind becomes a problem of me stop-start-stop-start-stop-start.

That's not fun to me. And I don't consider that fun.

More power to people who find it enjoyable that way. I'm not one of them.
Where does the problem lie? In the game or in yourself?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
But you can turn it off:
When playing in a online lobby, any of the NSO apps have the rewind function disabled.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I'm just saying, unless the option is removed altogether, it's still an issue of impulse control. If you can't stop yourself from pushing a button, it's not a stretch to expect you to not enable an option in the long run.

OP admitted to a lack of self-control.
Friction will alway trump self-control issues. People will go through the path of least resistance, so disabling it from an external menu could help.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Where does the problem lie? In the game or in yourself?

The game. If difficulty is a legit problem for people and they have the option to pick from thousands of other games but still want to play a certain game but are gated off by difficulty then I think my complaint is valid.

But you can turn it off:
When playing in a online lobby, any of the NSO apps have the rewind function disabled.

That's nice. I never knew that. Doesn't your internet affect performance even if you're in lobby mode?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Goddamn this thread... "improve your self-control" yeah it never crossed OP's mind at all

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Least resistance is turning the feature back on and avoiding the wasted time of replaying over and over again.

You consider it wasted time, I consider it a learning experience and getting new perspectives on levels. Especially coming back much later.

At least when it's well balanced and not relying on cheapshots.

May 15, 2019
Those apps in general could use a lot more features. I've definitely used the rewind a few times while trying to beat a game "legitimately" because I felt for one reason or another that specific rewind was justified.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like you flat out want the feature removed...
If you lack self control the ability to turn off the ability to turn on/off the feature wouldn't make any difference

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I *kind of* know what you mean OP. I haven't been playing NSO, but I've been (finally) playing through the Black Eagles route of FE3H on Hard/Classic and I kind of wonder what the game would be like without the rewind feature. Yes, I could just not use it, but I wish there was an option to start the game with the feature disabled, and you couldn't enable it until you finish that route for the save file. It's just too convenient to not use otherwise.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Antagonizing other users, dismissing concerns surrounding accessibility features, history of hostility towards other users and inflammatory comparisons in sensitive threads.
Not a fan of people posturing to defense of OP as if this is an "accessibility flaw" on the level of lack of colorblind mode or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i get where you're coming from OP, a toggle would be very nice for most of the NSO features, even under the guise of wanting a less involved emulation experience! don't mind folks being weird and rude

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If you're having issues with impulse control, would you not just turn the feature back on? Or do you want to be able to turn it off and never be able to re-enable it on specific save files?

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucking weird ganging up on OP for opening on us on an issue that may seem like a nothingburger for most, but can actually impact the enjoyment for some, I can see where you're coming from as I had some similar issues on other occasions.

Just like the borders, nothing will ever get done for the NSO apps besides adding more games and fixing the emulation here and there, I'm still waiting for the ability to remap the controls. (No, the system wide settings don't count.)

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
It sounds like you flat out want the feature removed...
If you lack self control the ability to turn off the ability to turn on/off the feature wouldn't make any difference

It sounds like? When I outright said I want an on/off button.
And you certainly aren't the person to tell me it wouldn't make a difference.

If you're having issues with impulse control, would you not just turn the feature back on? Or do you want to be able to turn it off and never be able to re-enable it on specific save files?

The disconnect of fishing through menus helps with the self control for me. It's why I don't abuse save-states when I could.

Not a fan of people posturing to defense of OP as if this is an "accessibility flaw" on the level of lack of colorblind mode or something.

If difficulty can be counted by some as an accessibility flaw on that level, I don't know why mine suddenly doesn't count. Colourblindness is certainly more important, but then again, I'm not saying mine is more important there. There's a lot more important features to add, but that shouldn't invalidate my issues.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Starting an online lobby is a pretty clever workaround for this particular issue, but there's no harm in there being a way to disable access to the feature under regular conditions. Just a little proof of concept of how the existing options and available features could be greatly expanded:

T31mZff.png

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
If this is a concern for you I'd honestly recommend not using NSO, just emulate stuff. Not all emulators have rewind and on some you can disable it as an option.

In a perfect world it'd be nice if Nintendo can give you options to choose to enable/disable rewind or save states at the start of a playthrough and make it so that option can't be reversed, but I realistically I can't see them ever bothering with something like this. It's such a niche thing I don't think Nintendo's emulation teams would even think of it.

It's already an optional feature. If you had some way to turn it off "more", whatever that means, you would just as easily be able to turn it back on again.

I just don't understand the premise here.

OP claims he has poor impulse control. It's not much different than someone not being able to resist eating sweets or drinking alcohol when put right in front of them despite knowing they're bad for you. Some people gotta remove the temptation entirely to control themselves.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Oh, this again. I am begging people to please stop going out of their way to read every attempt at empathy as "posturing". You may as well be calling everyone virtue signalers or some shit. It is not wrong to tell people to stop writing off problems and emotions just because you can't relate to them.

Consider what the word "impulse" actually implies. Yes, if you could turn the feature on and off from a deeper menu you'd need to get back to, it would absolutely help. For example, if it were an option you could only toggle from the NSO launcher without a game loaded or something. Or for my example of the cheats in Final Fantasy ports, make it a choice you make when you start the save file. There are absolutely simple ways around this and it's very frustrating to see a bunch of people shoot them down with "well I don't think it would help you". Like, I'm TELLING you it would. Why do you think you understand my problem better than I do?

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
If this is a concern for you I'd honestly recommend not using NSO, just emulate stuff. Not all emulators have rewind and on some you can disable it as an option.

In a perfect world it'd be nice if Nintendo can give you options to choose to enable/disable rewind or save states at the start of a playthrough and make it so that option can't be reversed, but I realistically I can't see them ever bothering with something like this. It's such a niche thing I don't think Nintendo's emulation teams would even think of it.

I'm sure I'm mostly talking to open air when it comes to something being done, but I'm at least glad to get the thing off my chest and I am glad to see others have experienced similar things. It's just nice to not feel alone there, especially when a lot of this forum seems to dismiss "compulsive problems" so readily.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the feature can only be turned back on from the main menu and not mid-game, that would not be an issue because OP's impulse control seems to only be "in the moment", meaning they can resist quitting the game to enable the feature (which is a process that would take up to a minute or more), as opposed to being unable to resist pressing a button while playing, which is an action that is instantaneous.

Pretty fucking weird ganging up on OP for opening on us on an issue that may seem like a nothingburger for most, but can actually impact the enjoyment for some, I can see where you're coming from as I had some similar issues on other occasions.
There is a contingent of people out there who do not understand neurological issues at all. It's the same people who would tell someone with ADD: "why don't you try, like, concentrating when trying to read, you know?" Might as well go tell a guy with a broken leg: "if you really apply yourself, you can totally go do that marathon. It's just a matter of will!"

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Pretty fucking weird ganging up on OP for opening on us on an issue that may seem like a nothingburger for most, but can actually impact the enjoyment for some
Pretty fucking weird for people like you to keep dismissing the criticism of OP putting the blame on the developers instead of themselves.

Nobody should be mean to each other. Everybody's issues are valid.
I, like OP, feel dissatisfied when I use a cheat or save state to beat a level that I was able to beat as a kid on the original hardware no problem.

But that doesn't make OP invincible to criticism when he starts saying it's a problem entirely on the shoulders of the developers.
This isn't a binary zero-sum issue. Calling out OP for demanding that developers fix this for him instead of, you know, just finding a way around it (like playing online so that rewind isn't available, or creating an NSO button mapping that disables the triggers) is not the same as saying "get over your lack of self-control".

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is way off the rails and is being locked.

staff post

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
This thread is now unlocked. Lets tidy it up going forward so we don't have to lock it up again.

Official Staff Communication
Self control can mean a lot of different things to different people. It is not always easy and can have many other factors at play that most people never experience. Be open minded. Those who suffer poor self control often need help and support, you see this clearly with addiction victims for example. It isn't always simple and there is no need to downplay it.

Disagreements and constructive criticism is fine. Don't be an asshole to each other.

A month minimum for those I find trying to be cute and using this thread to dismiss concerns about accessibility.