• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
b2a5fe2e1eb4b80721bcb7c34fa2322b.jpg

Why can't I rock a fedora without being associated with the lame atheist in the back row in class?
longform-original-10417-1449718424-3.jpg

Why can't it be cool wearing hats?

EDIT:
This isn't just about me wishing I could wear hats. I can stomach being laughed at when I'm going out.

This is more about hats being cool.

Societies are cooler with hats.

Men are cooler with hats.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Problem with fedoras in the modern era is that they don't work with modern clothes. If you wore a matching suit it could work. In other words it's not an every day hat.

Your best bet is a baseball hat or beanie.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Hats are very mainstream, It just needs to match the rest of your outfit.

If I wear a baseball cap with a suite, people wouldn't like the hat. But with a casual outfit it works great.

Fedoras work very well for very intention outfits, but not for tshirt and jeans.Link to google images for proof.

Edit: I'll also add that it's easier to pull off outfits if your better looking. It's not fair, but it's reality.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with fedoras in the modern era is that they don't work with modern clothes. If you wore a matching suit it could work. In other words it's not an every day hat.

Your best bet is a baseball hat or beanie.

Exactly. The more casual clothing of our era demands more casual hats to match. Baseball caps and whatnot are still very mainstream. Even bucket hats seem to have their moment occasionally (though I'm not a big fan personally).

He looks less lame with that hat.

Just wear your fedora, then. Seems you're too far gone to be reasoned with. :)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I was kinda thinking the same recently, but more especially 19th century fashion in general. From Victorian England to the wild west. Lots of dapper people.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I think of accessories like hats that should be something "additive" to a person's looks.

Jon Hamm looks better without a hat on and he's already very attractive. The hat doesn't make him more attractive but just highlights his ability to look good wearing one. Whereas something like a nice watch or the right pair of shoes can make someone more attractive.

99% of people don't look better wearing fedoras so there's no societal reason to wear one.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Fedoras could look cool with the right outfit, but I'm pretty sure the internet has ruined them for at least the next decade or so. They're too closely associated with being an asshat right now.

I can't think of a normal, socially acceptable hat for slightly nicer than casual clothes. Baseball caps and toques are fine for casual stuff, but wear anything nicer, and it's so uncommon that you instantly look like you have your head way up your own ass.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I love hats and it pisses me off I can't really wear them anywhere.

Edit: They day I turn 60 I'm going to wear one everyday. Old people get a lot more leeway with hats.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Just put your faith in that Adam Savage knows what he's doing.

And, well, wear what you want to wear.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
You're being "associated" with something regardless of what you wear, probably in a negative way. Just wear what you want. If you want to wear a fedora, just do it. You shouldn't give a shit about what some people might think if it's something you enjoy.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have no purpose for most people. You just don't need one. As far as accessories go its a very attention grabbing accessory. It's basically seen as a gimmick nowadays.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
But they are popular!

custom-maga-hat-hat-trump-rack-red_1024x1024.jpg

I see boomers wearing this shit every weekend I get groceries here in bumfuck PA!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with flashier hats like that is you can't just wear them with a regular old outfit and expect it to work. Flashier pieces generally require a subdued outfit to complement them otherwise you'll look like someone with no style who doesn't know how to dress themselves. Fedoras specifically can* work but only in very specific settings and with an outfit that otherwise complements them.

I think their reputation and association with atheist douchebags stems from people who have zero style being drawn to them and seeing them as a single item that can singlehandedly "upgrade" their style. Unfortunately, no hat can upgrade tthe style of someone who wears large cargo shorts and poorly fitting shirts with dumb text/graphics on them.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I see a person wearing a fedora or a red hat I will stay at a safe distance from that person .

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always wondered if it was a style thing or just that people couldn't wash or care for their hair as much and it was a crutch more than anything unless the sun is out then by all means wear hats, fuck the sun.

MV5BMTQ2MjgyNjk3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA3NTY5Mg@@._V1_UY1200_CR127,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I dunno, it seems mostly pointless a lot of the time so it's style mostly but do what you want to do.

People say hats are lame but I could say the same thing about Americans and baseball caps if I was to stereotype, are they born with them. Sun in a lot of places sure so fair enough in that regard.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
It's all about coordination.
The problem is that a lot of dudes wearing "classy" (emphasis on the quotation marks) hats are dressed like absolute dweebs.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Is the Fedora guy even a thing anymore? I thought all the "enlightened 'nice' guys" just all evolved into alt-right crazies by now.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
We did have a period 5 years ago where it was hip with wide brim fedoras (you know, with biker leather jacker, shirts all buttoned up and black skinny jeans).
I don't see it much anymore. Who knows though, maybe looking like Macklemore will be the shit in 2020.