• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
When Nintendo had that Switch reveal presentation they showed a collage of publisher logos who were supporting the Switch. One of those was FROM and my immediate thought was "oh its gonna be a Dark Souls port." Well that turned out true but it wasn't even done by FROM.

I had no illusions that Sekiro or Elden Ring would/could come to Switch. The console isn't very powerful and FROM these days is known for making very pretty games at expense of performance. Which i'm not here to debate.
I remember hearing rumours about a potential in-house port of Dark Souls III by FROM which still would not satiate my hunger.

I know exclusives are a dirty word here on ERA, so I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not asking for an exclusive. Just a game specifically built for the Switch. It can come to as many platforms as FROM or publisher wants but the target platform would be Switch. FROM is no stranger to Nintendo either as they put out the Lost Kingdom games out on the Gamecube. They also released a few games on PSP and DS so they're no stranger to portables.

How about a Lost Kingdoms 3? Maybe a return of King's Field now informed by the spiritual Souls successors?
Or let Miyazaki flex his creative muscles and make something new? I think it's worth it because the Switch is very successful and like I said it doesn't HAVE to be exclusive. Octopath Traveler is a brilliant Switch game and it came to PC too eventually.

Do you think we might see a FROM game built for Switch and if so what would you like to see? Or is FROM too seduced by the raw sexual magnetism of Mark Cerny and Phil Spencer?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I wish many game developers would specifically make a game for Switch. Too bad it isn't the DS era anymore.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they should aim higher than that then port it down to Switch if it makes sense to do so.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Given how their games don't run particularly the best on modern base consoles, I don't think y'all will want to see them make something with Switch as the base lmao. All that's gonna happen is switch users complaining it'll run like booty

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Given how their games don't run particularly the best on modern base consoles, I don't think y'all will want to see them make something with Switch as the base lmao. All that's gonna happen is switch users complaining it'll run like booty

If they can prioritise it to run at least 720p 30fps docked I'd be fine with it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool but unlikely - the are too busy with their other projects. Also if a game runs on Switch there isn't much reason to not also have it on other system unless there is some kind of exclusive agreement or it's based on a Nintendo IP.

Yeah...that's not really how this works.
Unless you think would develop a exclusives with the mindset that I wouldn't perform well in that plattform.... which does make alot of sense.

Optimizing for one plattform is easier than for One, One X, PS4, Pro and PC.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah. Original games that take advantage of the system's features >>>> 480p ports of home console games.
I don't dislike all the ports on Switch, I just concede that the DS era was a special time when game production value was significantly ramping up and everyone saw the innovation and opportunity of the DS, a lower-end system with touch capabilities which you could outsource "DS versions" of big releases for for very low production cost.

The issue is that Switch is technically in the same league as PS4 and Xbox One, it's just a lower end version of what they do but it's also handheld and very popular so there's an incentive to produce for it but there's a much bigger hurdle in reappropriating games to run on it.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Would be cool but unlikely - the are too busy with their other projects. Also if a game runs on Switch there isn't much reason to not also have it on other system unless there is some kind of exclusive agreement or it's based on a Nintendo IP.

Yeah...that's not really how this works.
Unless you think would develop a exclusives with the mindset that I wouldn't perform well in that plattform.... which does make alot of sense.

Optimizing for one plattform is easier than for One, One X, PS4, Pro and PC.
Maybe I didn't phrase it right, but what came to my mind was Bloodborne running like ass on PS4, despite being an exclusive. And the fact that DS1,2 and 3 didn't run particularly well in their initial released forms on consoles. If they made a game with Switch as the base platform, I wouldn't trust it to have decent performance on said platform because of their track record lol.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you want a game made around the limitations of the weaker system? Unless it's a game whose mechanics are specifically built around portability, there's no sense whatsoever to just limit it to the lowest specs available. Just downport it instead from better hardware versions sacrificing graphic fidelity and stuff

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would they when they have gone mainstream.
Their energy and resources are better invested on something larger installbase can enjoy (PC+PS+Xbox) rather than a game specifically made for Switch using Joycon controllers. If it is not the Joycon then why gimp yourself on a weaker hardware ?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. I'd rather they spend their energies not exclusively designing around a Tegra processor.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Why would you want a game made around the limitations of the weaker system? Unless it's a game whose mechanics are specifically built around portability, there's no sense whatsoever to just limit it to the lowest specs available. Just downport it instead from better hardware versions sacrificing graphic fidelity and stuff
Famboism

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Idk, maybe because that person has a Nintendo Switch and likes it?

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
Didn't they say that they were working on a Switch game back when the console was announced ? Or was it just about the Dark Souls Remastered port ?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume if the price was right, they might do one. They did a PSVR exclusive, after all.

Then again, I would also assume that their time is extremely valuable and they would make more money on something multiplatform like Sekiro 2, and if they were going to do an exclusive Sony would probably outbid Nintendo to secure From's time (for BB2 obviously)

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Why would they when they have gone mainstream.
Their energy and resources are better invested on something larger installbase can enjoy (PC+PS+Xbox) rather than a game specifically made for Switch using Joycon controllers. If it is not the Joycon then why gimp yourself on a weaker hardware ?

Has Sekiro come to the Switch? Do you think Elden Ring will? I doubt it. The purpose of specifically building a game for the Switch is not to utilise any gimmick but to make a product they can sell to the Switch consumer base. I think up porting to PS4/XBO would be a lot easier than downporting a game made for those systems.

Oi 1v1me in Dark Souls III and I'll prove I'm not a fanboy! Seriously though how is it fanboyism to want to play games on your preferred system? I bought Sekiro for my PS4 and I'll buy Elden Ring for it too. The Switch is my favourite platform because it's a hybrid and I like FROM games.

No, I really don't wanna buy a switch right now. Shoot for the stars and port it down if necessary or possible.

What is with so many people not reading the full post? I specifically said it should be multiplat just with the Switch as the target platform.

Ecthel

Nov 20, 2017
How about a Lost Kingdoms 3?

I'll buy it at a high price!

It could work with the built-in multiplayer for the VS mode the originals had. Also enriches the growing catalog of jRPGs available on the platform. But it also works on any other platform really so I see no point of making it exclusive unless its Nintendo paying them to do it in a Bayonetta kind of deal.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I wish many game developers would specifically make a game for Switch. Too bad it isn't the DS era anymore.
The Switch's power provides pros and cons.

On one hand, it is powerful enough to get down-ports from the other consoles, so it gets a wider ranging catalogue of third party titles that previous Nintendo platforms would never have seen.

On the other hand, because of this, the incentive for third parties to make Switch-specific games like we saw in the DS era, is diminished.

Jan 21, 2019
Has Sekiro come to the Switch? Do you think Elden Ring will? I doubt it. The purpose of specifically building a game for the Switch is not to utilise any gimmick but to make a product they can sell to the Switch consumer base. I think up porting to PS4/XBO would be a lot easier than downporting a game made for those systems.

Oi 1v1me in Dark Souls III and I'll prove I'm not a fanboy! Seriously though how is it fanboyism to want to play games on your preferred system? I bought Sekiro for my PS4 and I'll buy Elden Ring for it too. The Switch is my favourite platform because it's a hybrid and I like FROM games.

What is with so many people not reading the full post? I specifically said it should be multiplat just with the Switch as the target platform.

Ah correct, my bad I seem to have skipped that part. Still, it would be a watered down experience for their main audience to make a game for the Switch. It would be annoying going from the beauty of Sekiro back to something that is slightly above DS2.

It would need to be a completely new direction as to not piss of the fan base. Something like deracine where people don't feel robbed (which is a stupid feeling to begin with).

Oct 24, 2019
User Warned: Platform Warring
In no way do I want From's vision to be hampered by catering to inferior hardware.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I only play exclusives on Switch because I am particularly sensitive to sub native resolutions. I would prefer 3rd parties make exclusives that take advantage of the Switches unique hardware rather than play a 480p port of a game.

I miss the DS/PSP to 3DS days where there were a bunch of unique handheld exclusives.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
There could be an interesting conversation on what a game from this developer would be like when made in collaboration with Nintendo staff producers/directors, much like the Platinum titles (so most likely a new series instead of "[Nintendo Series] Souls"), but this website probably isn't the place to have such a discussion.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I have 0 in anything Souls related, but I've been wanting Lost Kingdoms 3 for years. Absolutely adored that series back in the day.

Dec 8, 2018
With a new console generation right around the corner the chances of From making a game after the one they currently are developing with switch hardware (even weaker then the soon last gen consoles) as the priority is probably not likely one bit unless Nintendo pays for it as an exclusive and would probably be very expensive.
Basically not gonna happen.

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
In no way do I want From's vision to be hampered by catering to inferior hardware.

I'm not asking them to hamper anything? I'm asking them to make a game built from the Switch to begin with. I'm fine with stuff like Sekiro or Elden Ring not coming to Switch it's fine. What I'm suggesting is FROM to make a game with the Switch in mind. Not to conform an existing idea but to make a new one that can sold be to Switch fans.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Up Porting would be an entire new game basically or an inferior one by root. The Switch hardware obviously limits how much big or multiconnected seven areas can be. How dense or grand (among other million things I can assume) would depend on that. Up-porting that experience to PC would still be an inferior product shackled by limited hardware. It must not all be about adding particle effects, fancy aliasing techniques or just raising the texture for stronger hardware when Up-porting/downporting.

That is literally the thing people keeps talking about when Halo was said to be working on Xbox One as well as the new XBOX2.
Switch is amazing but it can't run physics simulations (etc) like PS/XB hardware which changes how developers design games.

I'm not asking them to hamper anything? I'm asking them to make a game built from the Switch to begin with. I'm fine with stuff like Sekiro or Elden Ring not coming to Switch it's fine. What I'm suggesting is FROM to make a game with the Switch in mind. Not to conform an existing idea but to make a new one that can sold be to Switch fans.
but what good will it do to FROM ?
Say Sekiro was built for Switch but every zone is 25% smaller. Would that same product sell well on other consoles too given it is less of a product than current Sekiro.

Oct 24, 2019

To each their own, I just don't really understand why you want that I suppose. It'd be like asking Michelangelo to do a painting on a dirty slab of rock instead of working on the Sistine Chapel

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
That Up Porting would be an entire new game basically or an inferior one by root. The Switch hardware obviously limits how much big or multiconnected seven areas can be. How dense or grand (among other million things I can assume) would depend on that. Up-porting that experience to PC would still be an inferior product shackled by limited hardware. It must not all be about adding particle effects, fancy aliasing techniques or just raising the texture for stronger hardware when Up-porting/downporting.

That is literally the thing people keeps talking about when Halo was said to be working on Xbox One as well as the new XBOX2.
Switch is amazing but it can't run physics simulations (etc) like PS/XB hardware which changes how developers design games.

but what good will it do to FROM ?
Say Sekiro was built for Switch but every zone is 25% smaller. Would that same product sell well on other consoles too given it is less of a product than current Sekiro.

This is why new IPs are a good idea. Who says it has to be Dark Souls lite? Make a new game and it's not a problem. Unless the idea of FROM doing something other than making Souls is sacrilege to you.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017

I kind of find comments like this targeting the Switch ironic, considering any developer creating a game for any console is dealing with inferior and outdated hardware compared to more contemporary hardware found on PC's. This is particularly true for a dev like From Software, where their console games already make sacrifices, even earlier on in the console generation when the base consoles were newer. By bringing Eldin Ring to Xbox One and PS4, for example, they are targeting mid-range PC hardware from 2013; so how is that considered okay yet building something for Switch is considered blasphemy? At the end of the day, the point of consoles is not to provide cutting edge hardware, but rather devices that are accessible (price wise) and convinient for customers, game developers that choose to develop for consoles already know that they have to design around them.

I believe if From wants to create a game with portability in mind and/or use the unique aspects of the system then there is nothing stopping them inherently on the Switch from making great experiences. Much like they have been able to on other consoles.

Jun 2, 2019

If The Witcher 3 could be downported without being mechanically compromised, I doubt a game developed exclusively for Switch could be a limited experience in any way

Switch isn't the Wii and this isn't the PS360 era

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is why new IPs are a good idea. Who says it has to be Dark Souls lite? Make a new game and it's not a problem. Unless the idea of FROM doing something other than making Souls is sacrilege to you.
Not at all but that brings me to my first point that FROM has gone mainstream.
Making the next BotW is not that beneficial (assuming they can do that) given how shiny graphics and larger scope can easily bring more people like me to their games. They gotta cater to larger install base first right.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want a new Armored Core. Whether it can be ported to Switch or not is irrelevant.

OP
OP
Velezcora

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So you want them to limit their scope and creative vision because you dont own other consoles/PC?

No. I own Sekiro on PS4 and Dark Souls III on PC. I wouldn't want them to limit their games for the Switch. What I want is for them to come up with an original game for the Switch built around the limitations of the hardware. You know... like Deracine was for VR.

Why are you people so afraid of this? FROM isn't going to stop making big boy AAA console games if they make a Switch game one time.

Not at all but that brings me to my first point that FROM has gone mainstream.
Making the next BotW is not that beneficial (assuming they can do that) given how shiny graphics and larger scope can easily bring more people like me to their games. They gotta cater to larger install base first right.

FROM Software survived until Dark Souls before going mainstream they could easily take a diversion in between big boy AAA games.