• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think Danganronpa 1 was a fantastic starting point. There was the novelty of its unique premise and setting. There was the compelling, multi-layered mystery unravelled throughout the game. And then the open-ended ending, where it was up to the audience to decide what the true nature of the world was, and how it didn't really matter because the point was that the characters decided to venture into their future no matter what.

I think it's after DR1 that the series starts to go downhill for me. Instead of treating this more as an anthology series—which I think is what should have happened—the creators decided to have each entry in the series closely tied to each other. DR2 decides to expand on the truth behind the "Ultimate Despair" and the outside world. It made for a great twist, but it also lead to a redundant mastermind and more unnecessary expansion of the outside world with the "Future Foundation."

Following this are the largely derided Another Episode and Danganronpa 3. What both of these had in common are their primary focus on world building and trying to flesh out aspects of Danganronpa which honestly did not need to be addressed. It's often stated that DR3 retroactively ruins and even contradicts important DR2 twists, and I tend to agree. Another Episode at least had an interesting cliffhanger, which also results in disappointment with how it just fizzles out in DR3.

And then is V3, which I think is the culmination of all the series' flaws. Every Danganronpa "killing game" since DR1 had obvious parallels, intentional or otherwise. Similar characters, similar cases, similar twists. But what the series tried to do is to use those obvious parallels as a jumping off point to subvert what you previously knew. Sometimes it worked (Makoto Naegi to Nagito Komaeda). Sometimes it didn't (the number of a case giving you an overview of what would happen).

What DR53 tries to do is put all of that together, and twist it into a "gotcha," ultimate ending, where it explains that the redundancy is inherent to the format and that it's also what the audience wants to see. It gives the ultimate explanation for how this world works, and the ultimate justification for why these killing games exist. It attempts to explain everything; the entire concept of "Danganronpa."

I think the fact that the series pushed itself into that corner, and only by the third mainline game, is pretty much the crux of my argument against how they went about things. The positive I have with the V3 ending is that, if they ever decide to make another game, they'll have to disassociate it from everything concerning the Danganronpa world which was established until now... right?

I haven't talked about the gameplay mishaps every single Danganronpa game somehow repeats over and over again either, but that's beside the overall plot.

tl;dr: The Danganronpa series lacked ambition, deciding to continuously build off of what came before instead of cutting the old stuff out to make each entry truly unique. I think this is a series which could have had something truly new to discover in each game, but decided instead to rely on superficial twists and subversions from what came before until the very end. It focused on the "world at large" so much when it could have instead have focused on unique circumstances behind each killing game without worrying so much about the "why."

Oct 25, 2017
My only problem with the series was the horrible anime that ended the story of the original games.

At least the ending of V3 was incredible, what a god damn crazy way to end a series.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At least the ending of V3 was incredible, what a god damn crazy way to end a series.
And I think that ending was merely a cop out because they had driven themselves into a corner when they kept focusing on "Ultimate Despair" that, "Future Foundation" this, and Junko Enoshima there. They had to nuke the whole thing, because all they did was continuously build on those concepts until it couldn't be sustained.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, the story was held up by its characters. Komaeda is the best character in the franchise and the series died with him.

Oct 27, 2017
Danganronpa is unfortunately yet another "niche franchise that lowered in quality after the generational gap."

Another Episode was really bad.
Danganronpa 3, even though it's an anime, was also, REALLY bad.
And then V3 while having some charming characters definitely got worse over time due to how convoluted some trials were, the attempt at being witty by being self-aware, and then finishing the franchise with honestly one of the worst endings I've ever seen in a video game.

It really had the potential to be this amazing horror mystery franchise, but instead its flaws grew in number and effect and here we are now.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Well, I disagree pretty strongly with your opinions re:V3.

And I think that ending was merely a cop out because they had driven themselves into a corner when they kept focusing on "Ultimate Despair" that, "Future Foundation" this, and Junko Enoshima there. They had to nuke the whole thing, because all they did was continuously build on those concepts until it couldn't be sustained.

...except they didn't back themselves into a corner at all? When V3 was being marketed, and throughout most of the game, it could be reasonably argued that it had *nothing* to do with the other games in the series. No, they chose to go the route that they went with. They most certainly didn't drive themselves into a corner, there.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I would have also preferred if they cut out the old stuff. The worst thing about the Danganronpa games were the main story. Like all that Junko shit, future foundation, etc was straight up garbage.

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree with the OP.

Danganronpa 1 was also the only game in the series that legitimately scared me. The isolation of the school, the bolted windows and the claustrophobia in the first-person 3D environments really added to the tension. Neither sequel really managed to replicate that, especially since they became progressively wackier.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
...except they didn't back themselves into a corner at all? When V3 was being marketed, and throughout most of the game, it could be reasonably argued that it had *nothing* to do with the other games in the series. No, they chose to go the route that they went with. They most certainly didn't drive themselves into a corner, there.
Because of the world building focus the series had followed since DR1, they did. Because they conditioned the audience to think, "why is this specifically happening again in this world?" or "Do these characters know about the previous killing games?" And thoughts akin to those, without V3 being able to stand on its own. By design, V3 is inherently tied to everything else, even when they tried to lie in promotion that V3 had nothing to do with the other Danganronpa works.

And, inevitably, "The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History" starts to reer its head close to the middle of the game, and the rest becomes about figuring out what this all means, which leads to the ending.

We have characters like the protagonist, who directly builds off of what we know from previous characters like Makoto/Hajime/Kyoko. We have Kokichi, who is Nagito Komaeda redux. We have Monokuma joined by the annoying ass Monokuma family because that concept needed some kind of fresh take. And then there was the intentional build of the cases being structured to mirror previous games' cases, and the game explicitly acknowledging this.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, whatever. I never really cared much for the main plot, all I wanted was fun characters and cases.I wish V3 had a stronger theme though, looking back the school was so... not memorable?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I thought the overarching story was pretty horrendous, but the moment to moment gameplay and the individual cases stayed strong throughout the three main games.

The ending of V3 was hilarious and genius to me as well, they could have made V3 it's own seperate thing if they wanted to, and I still believe it largely is, the V3 twist doesn't dampen the story of the other games, it's a twist solely for the story in V3.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree. The first one was really good and felt fresh but the main twist was the weak link and the other games all tried to flesh Junko and the worst event that happened to world and it started to go downhill. Starting with 2 they also increased the perverted garbage too. It doesn't help that the minigame got worst with each iterations. In V3 there is literally a minigame where you pick up call girls with a taxi haha.

V3 had a good ending and the message there was quite good. I agree that they will need to shake things up if they want to do a sequel now.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, whatever. I never really cared much for the main plot, all I wanted was fun characters and cases.
I thought the overarching story was pretty horrendous, but the moment to moment gameplay and the individual cases stayed strong throughout the three main games.
And that's, in essence, my point. They didn't need to focus on the weak overarching story and the outside world. They could have focused more on what mattered: the setting, the characters, and the cases. That's how Ace Attorney has gone so far. Frankly, I don't need some big justification for why these killing games are happening. But Danganronpa decided to make the whole series all about why they're happening, and I think that was a mistake.

If it had branched away from that, each game could have been unique. They wouldn't have felt the need to "end" it like they did with V3.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Saying that "players expected V3 to be connected to the previous games" uh

kinda proves the whole ending correct? Idk, I loved the ending - and it'll never *not* be hilarious just how love it or hate it that ending turned out to be.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think focusing on why was the less interesting direction to go in yeah, since the appeal of the death game scenario is the moment to moment / the reality of it.

Plus their 'why' never really grew any more sophisticated through the games, it was always the same despair / entertainment idea.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the V3 hate. I thought the twist was some brilliant Black Mirror style horror. A reality show so popular that the audience doesn't mind that teenagers are getting killed.

DR3 was just so so bad. I think the worst aspect to me was revealing that the DR2 cast survived. Makoto did nothing wrong yet has to live with the horror of all his friends dying. Hajime helped Junko in her horror-show and he gets to live with all his friends on a tropical island.
Also anime brainwashing. ... Fuck.

I pretend DR3 never happened. Makes life easier. Hell V3 seems to be the same. Yes I know they still "count it" but they don't really reference it.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Saying that "players expected V3 to be connected to the previous games" uh

kinda proves the whole ending correct? Idk, I loved the ending - and it'll never *not* be hilarious just how love it or hate it that ending turned out to be.
Not when it actually was connected. People were hype at the idea that V3 would be its own thing back when it was announced. And then it wasn't. They couldn't not do that, because that's what the entire series has been. They couldn't make something standalone after DR1; it all had to be informed by a previous entry, with callbacks, fanservice, and repetition of what happened to the world and who did it.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally agree with FluxWaveZ. I enjoyed V3 for what it is, but the series has been way too suck on DR1. It never really grew past the first game. The world itself wasn't really interesting, it was the characters and how they would deal with their situation, and the limited information they had about the world that was fun. Problem is, when you keep building on that world, the player has a bunch of blanks filled in, meaning that we lose the sense of mystery and the difficult choices that the characters are stuck with. The self-referential nature of the series was a super weird add-on to everything that happened after DR1 and made it feel like everything was standing on DR1's legs, instead of their own.

For reference, I thought the ending was a good way to wrap up DR. If V3 has been the second game in the series (overall quality wise), I'd have a lot more hope (heh) for the future of the franchise. I only played V3 because with it I could just be done with DR and not worry about it again. Worked out pretty well in that regard I guess.

May 13, 2019
Were there any real reasons to keep bringing Junko back aside from her unintended* popularity? To me, that's one of the reason of why the series went down the drain.

* She was supposed to be an unlikable, love-to-hate kind of villain. To the best of my knowledge, her popularity took the developers by surprise. Allegedly, Monaka from Ultra Despair Girls is Junko done the way she was originally intended to be by the scenario writers.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
DR3 is an absolute travesty, but V3 is the perfect send-off for the franchise. I wouldn't change it in any way. It follows through on the promises from its predecessors while at the same time refuting them all completely.

I really don't think it attempts to "explain the concept of Danganronpa" at all - it pulls it down and dismantles it completely. It's a destruction of the series' concept, not a realization of it.

I love the franchise with all my heart, and I like the ending so much that I hope it doesn't come back.

DR2 makes the first game seem like a mere stepping stone as well, so I have nothing to complain about the series' trajectory either.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a question if you don't like the direction it went, where do you think it should go or should have gone?

Much like Ace Attorney the structure of the game is mainly the same and I think it's stronger for it. Don't fix what isn't broke. Thought V3's ending and "world building" was incredible but it does cause the issue of it basically making the overarching plot pointless and near impossible to follow up without going against the themes of V3's ending.

Feb 12, 2019
To quote something I put in that Spike Chunsoft sale thread:
I absolutely love Danganronpa V3's ending; I think it's the perfect escalation after how bonkers 2 was. There's something really bold about the way it salts the earth for any future installment, while fully acknowledging the limitations of the series format. I totally understand why that might be off-putting for some, but I also think Danganronpa 2 ended perfectly and I didn't need any sort of unnecessary continuation of that story or those characters. Anime? What anime?
So, here's the thing. I also kind of love Danganronpa 2's crazy bullshit response to DR1. However, I can totally understand where you're coming from when you say that the focus on continuity was a net negative for the series, and I think a lot of that carried through with the poor reception of stuff like Ultra Despair Girls and the Danganronpa 3 anime. Junko Enoshima was a fun twist villain in 1, but it definitely seems like the writers ruined her by actually trying to explain the "worst, most awful event in human history"

That said, I find the "Fuck You, we're going meta" ending of DR V3 so good that I think I'm going to generally disagree with you about wasted potential. I think the entire death game genre is pretty limited in the kinds of stories it can tell because characters spend a large portion of the plot without a ton of agency at the whims of some psychotic game master. Danganronpa's even more specific focus on "Ultimates" and anime high-school hijinks felt like it was starting to run a little dry even before I knew the twist in V3, and I'd rather they ended the series with a bang than trudge competently but unspectacularly along in the same manner as main-series Ace Attorney.

Bisonian

Oct 27, 2017
You can say a lot of things about the Danganronpa series, but lacks ambition? Really?

Danganronpa was an insane, beautiful ride from start to finish. It no doubt had its flaws but they never played it safe. I'm sad it's over, but the V3 ending was a fantastic cap to the series overall. I finished it, put the controller down, and just had to go take a walk for a while. It was awesome.

I love the franchise with all my heart, and I like the ending so much that I hope it doesn't come back.

This is the perfect quote to sum up my feelings.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I strongly disagree with V3 being a cop out. They didn't have to do it, everyone was already primed and ready for a big departure with the terrible anime closing the book on the original storyline, there was no corner they had to escape. V3 was the creator of the series putting a cap on his involvement with the series, he had nothing left in the tank and so you blow everything up and ride off into the sunset.

Until years later and someone drives a truck full of money to your house to make another one.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V3 also had an escalation problem where every trial had to really surprise the player. While it worked in some cases, others were too convoluted. Maybe the reception to Nagito's case made them think they had to top that somehow.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: DR2 is the only all around perfect DR game with best cast, best twists, best setting, and best cases.

I like 1, vehemently hate the 3 anime, like the Tokomaru interactions in UDG, and am conflicted on V3s ending and cast.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I thought the story, characters, and cases were great (even the third game). My issue with the series is all the minigames they have you do during the class trials, which is why the Ace Attorney series is what I prefer.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1 is kind of overrated for me. Once you get past the shock and novelty of the first two cases, the game settles into an incredibly passive pace that makes me realize the game works pretty hard to make its characters somewhat unlikable and one-note, and the big twist that it builds up to is no less of a cop out than anything else in the series to be honest. In fact I'd argue it's the biggest cop-out of them all, especially since it pulls the "I had a hidden twin sister" stunt with Junko.

2 was a way better execution of the similar concept, way more enjoyable characters, cases and setups that feel like they carry a lot more narrative heft, and an absolute banger of a satisfying finale. Thing is at that point it was somewhat obvious it could only really do the things it did because of the groundwork that was laid in the first game, it owes a lot to its predecessor despite being what I'd consider a way bigger improvement - and even though the final twist is still somewhat predictable, the ace in the hole is how it treats Hajime. Unlike the first game which had plot developments feel like contrivances, the second game feels like it's much more character driven and grounded despite taking place in a much more fantastical setting. There's times when you get a true sense that Hajime is almost his own autonomous person despite us being behind the controls, and I think his arc is great for a game of this kind.

I liked the setting of UDG a lot. This is strange to say but, in a vacuum and separated from the rest of the series, I kind of think it has one of the better Danganronpa narratives, but I wish it wasn't so bogged down by all that creepy fetish stuff.

V3 could have been the best game in the series but its biggest sin is how it completely wastes its characters by becoming a slave to its own subversions. I think the finale it builds up to is actually fine, it's an apt way to end a series which has always had its entire conceit rooted in metafiction and the fetishizing of murder as performance art (lest we forget this franchise was inspired by Illbleed), but god damn, it has the worst protagonist to try and make that point for us. Shuichi's arc is a total waste that gets resolved after the first chapter, which is a complete bummer after 2 did such a good job having a protagonist that actually felt like he had his own pathos and character to the very end, if even a little, whereas sir Ultimate Detective is basically slotted into the story so the game can just autopilot on him being "person who everyone confides in" and write every character as neutral towards you as possible.

It's why I'm still bullish on the idea that killing Kaede was a mistake. If she'd survived Case 1 while still having attempted (though failed) in murder, it'd make a lot of game mechanics and narrative hooks make more sense - it'd already highlight Kaito's blind optimism, why Kokichi has a liking towards you, why you can commit perjury in court, why people argue against you in court (seriously why does everyone trust Shuichi out of court yet argue against him in court when he's the most consistently trustworthy person in the group? would it not make sense for people to argue against your points if it's been proven once in the past that you're a bullshitter? plus it'd also explain why the standard game over screen always has the class vote for you because they know you have an inclination towards this), more interesting character dynamics, arguably even a more resonant finish if you stick to V3's twist where it framed Kaede as allegedly being a misanthrope perfect for the killing game. Even though it's implied that those tapes were selling the participants lies, it's way more believable of a lie since we'd at that point be playing a character that's run the gamut of being accused, solving killing game cases, attempting to kill, survived to this point, etc. A twist that basically says "yeah I'm perfect for this and want this" makes for way more of a better meta reflection of the player rather than the dumb thing they do with Shuichi and how "he joined the killing game so he could be a killer". Generally I feel even if you kept Shuichi but gave him all those glimpses of traits that Kaede exhibited, that would've worked miles better.

I really feel like the game needed a better vessel to carry that narrative to the end. As it stands, it ended up being a game I really enjoyed in the moment, and even enjoyed the audacity of the twist, but it had me reflecting on how it did not earn its attempt to make a stunt like that outside of the context of "Danganronpa is a big series and fans love it".

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the whole ride, but any bump in the road is justified because it led up to the most glorious finale to any franchise-spanning game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also I think the way V3 treats Miu is basically the biggest bullshit any character in this franchise has to go through but now I'm just getting into finer details

Jun 4, 2018
It was pretty much perfect for me, honestly. DR2 took a while to get going, though finished strong, and I barely remember anything that happened in the DR3 anime, but V3 was excellent start to finish. But yeah, that's up to you to say, really, since nobody can really tell you what you think better should be! In any event, I don't think that Danganronpa would necessarily need to distance itself from past entries, going forward, because it's ...a Japanese video game. There's plenty of amnesia to be had for everybody!

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this take misses the entire point of games like DR2 and V3. Saying DR1 was a great start, but you dont want it building off it directly is weird when 1 teases 2 directly with its open ending and V3 is more a commentary on structure than the world. Honestly weird critique

saboar

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, although I think they should try to have a somewhat believable explanation for the setup for the games. That's why I didn't like the last case of DR1, since it left everything completely open and you have to take at face value that two high school girls somehow managed to destroy the whole world. At least in DR2 takes place in the matrix, so all the oddities get a pass from me.

V3 is straight gutter trash and I wish I could get a refund on all the time I spent through it.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think this take misses the entire point of games like DR2 and V3. Saying DR1 was a great start, but you dont want it building off it directly is weird when 1 teases 2 directly with its open ending and V3 is more a commentary on structure than the world. Honestly weird critique
The whole point of an "open ending" is for it to be left "open." What comes after DR1 "closes" that ending because it explicitly explains, in very substantial detail, exactly what the DR1 ending entails. It is no longer an "open ending" when that happens. There was no tease for a sequel, but the sequel came and built off of it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was another character the creators were apparently surprised the audience really liked.
That doesn't surprise me. It feels like they went out of their way to make a character you wouldn't like, and while obnoxious, she kind of ended up becoming one of the more depressing/nuanced characters because of it. The fact that her death is mostly treated as a "well y'know we didn't like her but she didn't deserve it I guess" in the context of the game, only to then make a huge sobfest about Gonta is just one of the biggest "damn that's kinda eff'd up" reactions I had after letting the game stew for a bit.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped the OP because i noticed you talk about the third game and I haven't played it yet.

But I thought the first 2 Danganronpa's were some of the best games i've ever played ever, genre defining stuff.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the games but I agree that there was more they could have done in terms of mixing up the format. V3 was a great ending to the series, but after the first game, every time Despair/Hope got brought up as a theme again it made me want to punch something.

I would love to play a Death Game from the same developers that is divorced from the Despair and Junko plot lines and really focused on playing around with the Death Game concept.
I skipped the OP because i noticed you talk about the third game and I haven't played it yet.

But I thought the first 2 Danganronpa's were some of the best games i've ever played ever, genre defining stuff.
You should get out of this thread fast.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of an "open ending" is for it to be left "open." What comes after DR1 "closes" that ending because it explicitly explains, in very substantial detail, exactly what the DR1 ending entails. It is no longer an "open ending" when that happens. There was no tease for a sequel, but the sequel came and built off of it.
I dont see how that is not justified given the situation. An anthology series doesnt make it more ambitious or novel. Especially given 1 is the worst of the 3 main games

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly think the series got progressively better as it went on (with most of DR3 and AE being rather unfortunate missteps). V3 in particular I think is absolutely brilliant, but I also think that depends on what your takeaway on the game is? I found the ending to that game extremely affirming, others find it to be a giant "fuck you". It's honestly pretty neat just how divisive that game is.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
tl;dr: The Danganronpa series lacked ambition, deciding to continuously build off of what came before instead of cutting the old stuff out to make each entry truly unique. I think this is a series which could have had something truly new to discover in each game, but decided instead to rely on superficial twists and subversions from what came before until the very end. It focused on the "world at large" so much when it could have instead have focused on unique circumstances behind each killing game without worrying so much about the "why."...

& i agree completely. much like the zero escape series, i love, & have replayed, the first game, but have no use at all for the others...

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here is a question if you don't like the direction it went, where do you think it should go or should have gone?

Much like Ace Attorney the structure of the game is mainly the same and I think it's stronger for it. Don't fix what isn't broke. Thought V3's ending and "world building" was incredible but it does cause the issue of it basically making the overarching plot pointless and near impossible to follow up without going against the themes of V3's ending.
So regarding the structure, they obviously could have decided to improve their dreadful mini-game concept instead of adhering to it relentlessly for the worse. It says a lot when staff themselves wondered about why they needed the mini-games, and Kodaka thought players would be bored during trials without them.

For non-gameplay direction? I don't know. Much less of an emphasis on continuity would be nice. While Ace Attorney features familiar characters grounding each entry, it's like this. Final Fantasy and Persona are like this. In my mind, Danganronpa is a series which could have kept going with wildly unique twists on the "killing game" format, without worrying about an overarching plot. I don't need any world building outside of each games' respective ones, just like I don't need character arcs which unfold throughout multiple games.
I dont see how that is not justified given the situation. An anthology series doesnt make it more ambitious or novel. Especially given 1 is the worst of the 3 main games
What do you mean by justified? The theme of Danganronpa 1's ending was that even though the characters might be scared of what they find out next, what they have gone through has given them the resolve to find out and confront it, together. They make a big deal out of that, and what the outside is is left ambiguous (hence the framing for the final cutscene). That's it. What comes next uses it as a jumping off point. But what comes next didn't need to.

And I disagree. The easiest thing to do is just look at what was done before, and build off of it and recycle concepts from it instead of scrapping parts that people might have perceived to be "fundamental" to go in an entirely different direction.

What comes to mind here is Life is Strange 2. Not what people expected at all based on Life is Strange 1. But that ended up giving it a much more unique feel, and its own identity, all for the best.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by justified? The theme of Danganronpa 1's ending was that even though the characters might be scared of what they find out next, what they have gone through has given them the resolve to find out and confront it, together. They make a big deal out of that, and what the outside is is left ambiguous (hence the framing for the final cutscene). That's it. What comes next uses it as a jumping off point. But what comes next didn't need to.
I honestly do not get how this is a criticism at all. Just because it left something open doesnt mean a sequel cannot address it, especially when the 1st game basically flat out says the answer with Jack being the only one who can remember the events. The point was hope, not the unknown.