• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Found within game's files. I guess that design was deemed too 'street' for the global audience, that's why they scrapped it. Notice how they use Lady/Trish's DMC4 design on this one, as that was probably concieved early in development.

EDIT2:
Thank you, you descibed it way better than i could do. Let me set some things straight: I didn't accuse anyone about what they've may posted, i just wanted to clarify my position and thoughts, as i got some bizarre DM's on a Discord channel over this topic, only because certain people quickly rushed to interprete the subject of this thread on their own, without any context, making assumpions. But anyway, enough of that.

All i wanted to emphasize, is that this particular logo nods to the blaxploitation-style posters of the '70s, and that clearly shows from the way it depicts characters stylistically (sketchy-designed characters and art) "central" Nero on the forefront, Dante holding a weapon in combat pose, a menacing V looming behind them, with the ladies posing on the bottom left corner. You can even see the destroyed Red Grave City in smoke and flames on the background, with soldiers holding their rifles and buildings being burned from the demon invasion, along with an unknown demon on the right corner.

So, to sum up, didn't say it IS a blaxploitation poster, only that its a blaxploitation-styled one, or more presicely, similar to that particular type of a poster, a '70s movie, and old action movie, you call it. I mean even R* admitted that "old movie posters" inspired GTA 3 EU cover, so the same thing happening with Capcom and DMC5 wouldn't be surprising, or out of reach at all. But as they're a Japanese company, rather secluded like most of japanese devs, we might never find out from where exactly they took inspiration for this logo. With things being said, i hope i clarified my position on this one. Cheers.

EDIT: I never, anywhere, said that Capcom or design team ripped the logo off of a blaxploitation film. i just noted the similarities behind the art direction across the logos. i really don't get why "blaxploitation" or anything "black/urban" is raising so many flags around here these days.

ty9v1taj10r21.png
AVTjjh9.png

MV5BNDVmM2FmZDctMmQ3Zi00MTVkLWE3MjUtNTM5MmI3ODI1ZjJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg

81dp5xZrkUL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
UK
That is such a weird logo. It has DMC4 renders of Trish's EX and Lady's DMC3 costumes. Not even sure what that demon is on the right.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one we got is way better than that lol

Also I'm not seeing the blaxploitation influence, or how it's "street"

NovusTerminus

May 24, 2018
I've never been a big fan of double exposure images... Not a fan of this logo either, though with some clean up and proper not place holder art it could be improved upon, I still don't think it would convey Devil May Cry.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
That first logo looks like something you'd find on a Games Workshop box from two decades ago.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple exposure type of composition in logo treatments or key art was made famous by blaxploitation movies? Citation needed.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I think what the OP meant is that it's a design they've typically seen used by blaxploitation films in their experience and wasn't aware that it wasn't exactly a characteristic exclusive to, or even notable in regards to, blaxploitation films...

Personally, I prefer the logo we got, although I don't hate the one in the original post...

OP
OP
MBS

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I think what the OP meant is that it's a design they've typically seen used by blaxploitation films in their experience and wasn't aware that it wasn't exactly a characteristic exclusive to, or even notable in regards to, blaxploitation films...

Personally, I prefer the logo we got, although I don't hate the one in the original post...

Key is "blaxploitation style" that i wrote. I never said it was straight ripped off of a blaxploitation design. But the influence is there.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the "V" is cool, but the font is horrendous.

Also I wouldn't say this is blaxploitation in anyway. More like "film posters in the 70s". in general.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
can you express in words the similarities you see between the logo and the style you think you see?

because you just keep asserting it with nothing else

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Nah, that logo looks like something that belongs in a 2004-era forum signature. Man, should image signatures come back?...No. Definitely not.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I never, anywhere, said that Capcom or design team ripped the logo off of a blaxploitation film. i just noted the similarities behind the art direction across the logos. i really don't get why "blaxploitation" or anything "black/urban" is raising so many flags around here these days.

Are you trolling? What "flags"?

People have just said they don't see it.... I don't see it, it doesn't look at all like the examples you posted.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
OP said:

This is a pretty short thread so it's easy to see that nobody here has accused you of this or has made this claim. This seems like an odd thing to tack at the top of your OP when it doesn't seem to describe the reaction of anyone in this thread.

In any case, it might be more helpful if you describe the hallmarks of the aesthetic you are comparing. Obviously a lot of posters from the 1970s and 1980s used a similar sort of "montage" design that are well outside the genre you're describing. Such as:

It might be helpful to explain that montages like this were meant to advertise a sense of sensation. In the specific context of Blaxploitation cinema, this sensation came largely the sense of rebellion and empowerment by its lead characters. Because Blaxsploitation movies often featured an antihero and glorified violence, their advertising largely relied on sensationalizing its premise which gave way to an array of movie posters that featured this specific brand of "explosive collages." This is thematically similar to the DMCV logo, I believe. Although I haven't played DMC. Some more examples to accompany your own:

However, the DMCV doesn't particularly read like this aesthetic to me. The monochromatic pallet and the lack of a "central hero" towering over the rest of the cast don't make it immediately comparable IMO. So I don't blame people for not making the connection. The DMCV logo is like a small portion of one of these posters. Which makes sense because it's just a logo, not a poster. But I don't think the relationship is particularly strong or obvious.

Doesn't mean it's not a super cool logo that I would have hugely preferred to the one we got, though. I think it's much cooler.

OP
OP
MBS

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty short thread so it's easy to see that nobody here has accused you of this or has made this claim. This seems like an odd thing to tack at the top of your OP when it doesn't seem to describe the reaction of anyone in this thread.

In any case, it might be more helpful if you describe the hallmarks of the aesthetic you are comparing. Obviously a lot of posters from the 1970s and 1980s used a similar sort of "montage" design that are well outside the genre you're describing. Such as:

It might be helpful to explain that montages like this were meant to advertise a sense of sensation. In the specific context of Blaxploitation cinema, this sensation came largely the sense of rebellion and empowerment by its lead characters. Because Blaxsploitation movies often featured an antihero and glorified violence, their advertising largely relied on sensationalizing its premise which gave way to an array of movie posters that featured this specific brand of "explosive collages." This is thematically similar to the DMCV logo, I believe. Although I haven't played DMC. Some more examples to accompany your own:

However, the DMCV doesn't particularly read like this aesthetic to me. The monochromatic pallet and the lack of a "central hero" towering over the rest of the cast don't make it immediately comparable IMO. So I don't blame people for not making the connection. The DMCV logo is like a small portion of one of these posters. Which makes sense because it's just a logo, not a poster. But I don't think the relationship is particularly strong or obvious.

Doesn't mean it's not a super cool logo that I would have hugely preferred to the one we got, though. I think it's much cooler.

Thank you, you descibed it way better than i could do. Let me set some things straight: I didn't accuse anyone about what they've may posted, i just wanted to clarify my position and thoughts, as i got some bizarre DM's on a Discord channel over this topic, only because certain people quickly rushed to interprete the subject of this thread on their own, without any context, making assumpions. But anyway, enough of that.

All i wanted to emphasize, is that this particular logo nods to the blaxploitation-style posters of the '70s, and that clearly shows from the way it depicts characters stylistically (sketchy-designed characters and art) "central" Nero on the forefront, Dante holding a weapon in combat pose, a menacing V looming behind them, with the ladies posing on the bottom left corner. You can even see the destroyed Red Grave City in smoke and flames on the background, with soldiers holding their rifles and buildings being burned from the demon invasion, along with an unknown demon on the right corner.

So, to sum up, didn't say it IS a blaxploitation poster, only that its a blaxploitation-styled one, or more presicely, similar to that particular type of a poster, a '70s movie, and old action movie, you call it. I mean even R* admitted that "old movie posters" inspired GTA 3 EU cover, so the same thing happening with Capcom and DMC5 wouldn't be surprising, or out of reach at all. But as they're a Japanese company, rather secluded like most of japanese devs, we might never find out from where exactly they took inspiration for this logo. With things being said, i hope i clarified my position on this one. Cheers.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the font of the title? Because that looks nothing like blaxploitation or 70s. The actual montage image of the characters I can see some 70s movie poster influence, but it's been re-adopted so much throughout the 00s and beyond that it's sort it turned into its own style. I doubt that's even what they were going for when they they created that. The premise of influence seems super flimsy.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so that kind of design is called Blaxploitation? Or was used first on a Blaxploitation movie poster? Or What?

OP
OP
MBS

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the font of the title? Because that looks nothing like blaxploitation or 70s. The actual montage image of the characters I can see some 70s movie poster influence, but it's been re-adopted so much throughout the 00s and beyond that it's sort it turned into its own style. I doubt that's even what they were going for when they they created that. The premise of influence seems super flimsy.

Read edit2 on the OP.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's more 70s than blaxploitation. Blaxploitation movies just happened to be created in the 70s so there was a crossover there. Definitely not exclusive to just that genre.

MV5BYzEyMTY0OTktNWQyNi00NWUxLTgyMTMtMmEwMjBhYzk1ODUyL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg
Okay thanx. And is that type of poster in any way ever named "the blaxploitation style"? Because i sure know that style but never heard it called that way.
The way i'm reading you is that it's just a 70's style of poster design that we still see this day.