• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Can't believe it is almost 14 years now. For those who are too young to remember, this all starts with the emergence of a blog site Alliwantforxmasisapsp.com , a thinly veiled advertising blog that is disguised to be maintained by a kid named Charlie who is trying to help his friend Jeremy and other kids to get a PSP for Christmas. The blog was obviously targeted for kids, with the site owner providing helps and ideas to tell their parents to buy a PSP for them for Chrismas. After a while it was discovered that this site is created by Zipatoni, a marketing company hired by Sony in secret.

The viral marketing stunt backfired so horribly, that Sony quickly removed the blog and all associated contents in an attempt to erase its entire existence, with many sites covering the story.

The above video is probably the biggest gem out from the site. Its been more than a decades and I still remember it. You can still find traces of the story on the internet if you search for alliwantforxmasisapsp

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
My friend told me about it at work. I laughed so hard and not only will I not forget the ad campaign, but I can't forget my friend's performance of it.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This, the horribly racist "it's like a nut you can play outside" ads, that "white is coming" billboard...christ, it's actually kind of a minor miracle that the PSP actually managed to sell as well as it did with all of Sony's marketing fuck ups.

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, all I remember about this was the "t3xT SpE4K" and the absolute insistence that it wasn't marketing, even after being almost immediately rumbled.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only PSP commercials I remember were the crazy squirrels. Or was that a fever dream.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'll never forget this PSP ad

1-2jdJ5cphyokXuc6VCk-hjWmC96hsL2iiql7szbwv0.jpg

Or the people who defended it as "not racist".

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Games so crazy
They totally amaze me
Gotta ask my mom for one
For sheezy

Mar 31, 2018
Well that was absolutely cringeworthy. I guess that was the point?
I'm assuming the kid in the video never mentions this to anyone these days.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Fun fact- it was (alongside IloveBees) the topic of my master's thesis on viral games marketing. Thanks for my degree, "Charlie" :)

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the white is coming ad, but I didn't know about the xmas viral campaign.

I got confused about how the video in the OP was related to the story because the dude in it doesn't even look like a kid or a teenager, but I just read that apparently that was one of the things that people called out too back then.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
games so crazy

they totally amaze me

gotta ask my mum for one

foooooor shizzy

*fucks a ladder*

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Yeah, it was the first time I saw a gaming company astroturf. Imagine how easy it is for them to do it nowadays without getting caught? I'm sure it happens right under our noses.

Oct 25, 2017
Flailing chaotic early PS3/PSP era Sony sure was something. Between the squirrels, crying babies, All I want for Christmas, WHITE IS COMING, and Chad Warden (a fan hoax I know but still the cherry on top of all of this), it was a... memorable era for sure.

Oh and remember this stunt?

8e7eaffbb11bd1adee9de489d86ce355.jpg

g5XgWywJ2U9dn4Axfuiooidp3uaM05d5IVLZOD6HURDT8CpE0ap-Q_A71XTzX3likszvALzAlvvJARO5F8TFo_sBoYzHBX-M7sykfnf_B42DaPZnlYY0h_HuXg

sonypspgraffitiresponse.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
I like that someone apparently went "those streetartists are totally tolerant, they won`t mind if we put up some fake art that is really a badly-designed commercial".

Yeah, because people spraying and tagging do NOT care about their canvas.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
What's fun about the impending arrival of cloud services is that they could all use a device with really amazing gaming controls to run on...

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was the first time I saw a gaming company astroturf. Imagine how easy it is for them to do it nowadays without getting caught? I'm sure it happens right under our noses.
Now I guess they use the communities to manufacture the content and share it "organically" :v
Or like those cringy Sony GIFs recreating popular memes using the official engines and 3D models.

There was also a brief pre-release time where a Final Fantasy XV image of the protagonists in a car was being used as a funny:
MzSC1Zu.jpg

But then Square-Enix officially released an official art asset to create your own memes! Which killed any traction the image had... :v
oZbZgzc.png

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
To be fair, this was not just Sony in those days. Looking back there is so much cringe-worthy advertising in the gaming industry as a whole. I'm curious if this was all from one advertising sector at Sony or some outside company making kewl sik adz..