• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooohhh right right. I remember now. That was bad.

And is that so? Perhaps I've been unfairly overlooking it. Still not happy about housewife Hinata but eh...

I mean, I never really delved into feasible Naruto ships before that debacle (HakuHina ftw), but, if so, wrow. That's awful.

Eh, Housewife Hinata hasn't been that bad actually. She's had her moments too, especially in recent episodes. Also, Boruto delivered some awesome Sakura moments, and Shino's been more relevant in Boruto than he ever was in Naruto.

OP, are you really that surprised that weebs like stereotyped shy girls who only get a little more assertive after the protagonist puts a part of himself inside her?

Hey woah. Not only are you taking this scene completely out of context (Naruto put a part of himself in her BECAUSE she was assertive) but she also got assertive like 600 chapters ago.

Of course, she spent like 400 of those 600 chapters being ignored. >.>

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so people don't complain about how Sakura was poorly written, out of focus, lacked fights, and her wife status?
People are pretty specific about their Sakura complaints and you keep broadening certain things to fit Hinata in.

For example, poorly written is a general thing that can be said about anyone. I can point to specific moments that made people dislike Sakura.

You say both Sakura and Hinata exist for a boy, but Hinata's love interest is likable and never tried to kill and isn't an unhealthy relationship.

Both Hinata and Sakura have personalities. With Hinata, not everyone had patience for her shyness. Sakura's thing in part one was dumping on Naruto while oogling Sasuke, while she herself couldn't do much, which made her dumping on Naruto kind of dumb.

Your point about her losing to give Naruto motivation is fair, but I can't say I dislike her for that and I don't see how that applies to Sakura.

See how your points lose ground when you hold a magnifying glass to them?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
On top of that Sakura fullfills the dedicated single-mom-that-isn't-actually-single trope. Her husband is always away doing work that's "more important" than spending time with her and his child, but oh well that's ok cause her husband is the best.

That's ignoring Sasuke is a vicious criminal that never got punished for his crimes, but whatever.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
She's creepy, isn't she?
Just think about how many times those poor animators had to draw this because she's so one dimensional:
3463163_1391771399932.33res_400_300.jpg

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Just think about how many times those poor animators had to draw this because she's so one dimensional:
3463163_1391771399932.33res_400_300.jpg

Poor animators, having to animate their shows (actually considering how little animation goes into standing behind a tree, she's probably a godsend for them).

Also that stopped less than halfway into the series, so it's a very odd point to latch onto. "Remember when she was, like, 12 and was shy about a crush? So awful"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow, I doubt it.

The poster explained what their thoughts were regarding why people liked Hinata, that unlike Sakura, at least she liked someone that wasn't awful like Sasuke was.

Then even goes on to say that despite her still being a terrible character overall, at least she isn't as bad as Sakura, so I also don't see how he put their respective affections on the same level.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
The poster explained what their thoughts were regarding why people liked Hinata, that unlike Sakura, at least she liked someone that wasn't awful like Sasuke was.

Then even goes on to say that despite her still being a terrible character overall, at least she isn't as bad as Sakura, so I also don't see how he put their respective affections on the same level.

For starters, they didn't actually explain how she was terrible in the first place. Then they say "clearly" directly after the part where they give, by comparison, a glowing recommendation, but whatever.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
On top of that Sakura fullfills the dedicated single-mom-that-isn't-actually-single trope. Her husband is always away doing work that's "more important" than spending time with her and his child, but oh well that's ok cause her husband is the best.

That's ignoring Sasuke is a vicious criminal that never got punished for his crimes, but whatever.
And repeatedly tried to kill her and showed absolutely no interest in her at all. The only interaction they had before boning was sasuke saying she's annoying and stabbing her

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Poor animators, having to animate their shows (actually considering how little animation goes into standing behind a tree, she's probably a godsend for them).

Also that stopped less than halfway into the series, so it's a very odd point to latch onto. "Remember when she was, like, 12 and was shy about a crush? So awful"
There's being 12 and shy about a crush and then there's the stalker type of love that was Hinata's characterization.

Arguably the amount of shit Naruto is willing to forgive is ridiculous and sorta speaks volumes about his regard for human life.
JM4XamP.png

eHzecva.jpg

He's nowhere near as bad as Sasuke but goddamn is he an irrational person. The romances of the series are generally poorly written. What happened when the series ended was hilarious:
source.gif

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's being 12 and shy about a crush and then there's the stalker type of love that was Hinata's characterization.

Arguably the amount of shit Naruto is willing to forgive is ridiculous and sorta speaks volumes about his regard for human life.
JM4XamP.png

eHzecva.jpg

He's nowhere near as bad as Sasuke but goddamn is he an irrational person.

I mean, didn't Orochimaru get everything he ever wanted?

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018

It stops when she stops being 12. She grows up a bit, she doesn't see Naruto for about 2 years, and while she's still shy there's nothing stalker about her when she gains a spine.

Everything and the kitchen sink.

And Naruto the Hokage just goes "we're keeping an eye on you...!" while he does his mad scientist shit.

Honestly that is the most jarring part about Boruto to me. Even Kabuto and Sasuke's Inferior Friends have an attempt at redemption.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"lEts lITerAllY gIvE kAbuTo A Small Army oF kidS wItH shaRiNGAns AnD leT OROChimarU COntInuE EXpERIMENtInG oN HuMAns"

It stops when she stops being 12. She grows up a bit, she doesn't see Naruto for about 2 years, and while she's still shy there's nothing stalker about her when she gains a spine.
I'm having trouble recalling a crucial moment where her characterization didn't solely revolve around Naruto.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Hinata's only saving grace is that she's barely in the manga and that she's not Sakura. Kishi should never have bothered with any romance shit when he knows full well he can't write it. Oda and Toriyama knew the deal on how to handle that shit.

That said the meltdowns after the final chapter were glorious, and Kishi could have redeemed himself if Sakura actually got cucked by Karin.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's explained in Chapter 3, she wanted acknowledgment, something he could relate to.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. He did say he liked her before that, so it did start with ''I think she is pretty''.

Edit: which is fine btw, I was just trying to remember if there was something else.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JM4XamP.png

eHzecva.jpg

He's nowhere near as bad as Sasuke but goddamn is he an irrational person. The romances of the series are generally poorly written. What happened when the series ended was hilarious:
source.gif

And this is why I stopped reading this stupid series.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
...the Chunin Exams?

The one arc this place never stops fellating about? It's the Dragon Ball of Naruto here.
If we only look to canon, then, the Chuunin Exams. Was all about proving herself to her family. Yes, Naruto cheered her on but that's more Naruto's characterization now being about her, innit?
You mean the fight where Naruto yelled at her from the sidelines which gave her the motivation to fight after 8 minutes of her being roasted by Neji, followed by her literally quoting Naruto in the middle of the fight.?

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
You mean the fight where Naruto yelled at her from the sidelines which gave her the motivation to fight after 8 minutes of her being roasted by Neji, followed by her literally quoting Naruto in the middle of the fight.?

Yeah, I mean the fight where Hinata physically and metaphorically struggled with her insecurities as a ninja and the fucked-up politics of her clan.

Well I guess Naruto says some things so obviously there's no character there.

That's aside the fact that Naruto being the only, literally the only person in that scene to support her, much like how she was the only one who ever liked Naruto for being Naruto, would incidentally add some depth to their apparently obviously shallow relationship...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we only look to canon, then, the Chuunin Exams. Was all about proving herself to her family. Yes, Naruto cheered her on but that's more Naruto's characterization now being about her, innit?

The wiki is so sad. Like so much of the shit she does is apparently filler

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Cause she's not Sakura. She's not the greatest female character in the series, that's Konan, she got a nice arc of character growth so pretty much the opposite of Sakura.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I mean the fight where Hinata physically and metaphorically struggled with her insecurities as a ninja and the fucked-up politics of her clan.

Well I guess Naruto says some things so obviously there's no character there.
Yes, it's bad that she's so weak in terms of characterization that hey, Naruto of all people saying a couple lines is enough to fix everything. Like there's seriously no depth to their relationship because of how little screentime she actually gets and how little of that screentime is spent establishing Hinata as anything more than "Shy girl who loves Naruto." Like are you genuinely going to argue that their relationship has depth when it took a literal hallucination to make Naruto even acknowledge their history.

That's honestly a Sakura tier L.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Hinata's only saving grace is that she's barely in the manga and that she's not Sakura. Kishi should never have bothered with any romance shit when he knows full well he can't write it. Oda and Toriyama knew the deal on how to handle that shit.

That said the meltdowns after the final chapter were glorious, and Kishi could have redeemed himself if Sakura actually got cucked by Karin.

Karin secretly being Sarada's mom would have elevated this series to masterpiece just because of the massive L Sakura would have taken for that to exist. It would have been like the giant crushing palm technique at the end of Kung Fu Hustle only it's an L.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Cause she's not Sakura. She's not the greatest female character in the series, that's Konan, she got a nice arc of character growth so pretty much the opposite of Sakura.
Konan is passable, if her character didn't revolve around Nagato she could be good.
but yeah no contest compared to any other female characters in the manga or anime.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both characters are poorly written. It's like a bad trope showing if a female character waits patient enough, eventually they'll get their man, no matter how abusive or charming they might be. The guy ignores you? Don't worry, just obsess over him for years and he'll come around. Oh, he tried to kill you? Maybe he'll change? Cuuuuuuz, people change, right? The guy is a nine tailed fox? I'm sure that's legal in some leaf villages.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's bad that she's so weak in terms of characterization that hey, Naruto of all people saying a couple lines is enough to fix everything. Like there's seriously no depth to their relationship because of how little screentime she actually gets and how little of that screentime is spent establishing Hinata as anything more than "Shy girl who loves Naruto." Like are you genuinely going to argue that their relationship has depth when it took a literal hallucination to make Naruto even acknowledge their history.

Y'know, that is a bit of a plot hole, Kuruma was supposed to make Naruto immune to genjutsus so this shouldn't have even affected him.