• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I guess I always considered it a Shojo because of it being from Kagome's perspective. Hmm, Inuyasha would count then

Shoujo fighting manga/anime is very different from something like Inuyasha, an example is something like 07-ghost. A clear giveaway is when the whole male cast is full of pretty boys (Inuyasha and his brother are obviously attractive to MANY female fans across the globe but they are a little bit far away from the bishounen stereotype found in most shoujo/josei.)

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I wonder if Uzumaki Goku is on the halls of Anal Devsation (giant salty Narusaku shipper complication).

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
1) I identify strongly with her. Always have, always will. She clearly has all the signs of anxiety disorder even if Kishimoto did not intend to write her as such. She's actually been an inspiration for me to improve myself when I saw her grow bolder and bolder. Though she starts off as a complete doormat, she does grow strong of will, gradually. Hell, are people gonna forget she slapped Naruto in the fucking face because he was acting like an idiot? Sakura didn't even do that when she should have when Naruto had a similar meltdown about Sasuke and instead tried to seduce him, if you really want to turn this into Sakura vs. Hinata (which we shouldn't, they're both good characters, or well, good as far as Naruto characters go).
2) Voiced by Stephanie Sheh in the English dub, and I just love her work.
3) I just like intelligent, kind-hearted people, which she so clearly is. I admit in general I find myself attracted to slightly sassier and/or "mature" acting girls (like, using the series as an example, Anko, Kurenai, Temari and Tsunade) but Hinata just sort of has a special place for me. And hey, bonus points, RTN Hinata is a bancho chick.

Fuuuuck what Boruto did to her though, turning her into a housewife who doesn't do ninja stuff any more. Like she couldn't even be involved in running things if she wanted to stay closer to home? Sheesh.

Hinata, along with basically every female character in the series except for perhaps Tsunade and Chiyo, is ultimate wasted potential.

I wish Kishimoto had done more with her, however. Studio Pierrot did Hinata better than he ever did, with the additional filler and the 10th movie.
TRUE. FACTS.

Honestly people dump on the anime for its filler but a lot of the filler is better than the canon stuff Kishi has done. Not just for Hinata, but for everyone who isn't Naruto or Sasuke.
On the topic of wasted potential. Freaking Anko.

Orochimaru student with the curse mark and knew Orochimaru jutsus.
Loud Wailing.
At least she survived the war I guess. But damn. Kishi even had the gall to say she was his favorite female character. And proceeds to do shit all with her. Fucking hell.
You know, clearly Hinata got bigger boobs after the timeskip, but it's also kind of weird how people act as if she literally had no fans before said timeskip lol
Like, my intro to the series was the Gamecube games, and she was my favorite even then, before I knew there was a timeskip.
(giant salty Narusaku shipper complication).
Oh God I forgot THAT fandom meltdown entirely. I would feel kinda sorry for all those NaruSakus if they didn't immediately attack Hinata fans (including those who didn't even ship NaruHina) and even Kishimoto's fucking assistant. Just. A bunch of babies.

Still wonder if that or Zuko/Katara was a bigger meltdown....

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You are right, I forgot about how he showed his vulnerable side to her before his fight with Neji, but remind me, where did it go from there? I don't remember a particular interaction happening until much later? (Time skip??) At times it felt like Kishimoto couldn't squeeze more Hinata time since the plot didn't call for it, I mean they dedicated a whole movie so Naruto could catch up to her feelings, clearly (and sadly) they did not plan things very thoroughly and that is a shame.

Yeah, I think the next real major event they got was during the start of Part 2, specifically during the Itachi Pursuit Arc.

That kind of negligence happened to a lot of side characters, sadly. It's the biggest flaw with the manga, to be honest. I'm really grateful to Studio Pierrot for at least trying to give the side characters more on screen time with the anime, even if they weren't always successful.

TRUE. FACTS.

Honestly people dump on the anime for its filler but a lot of the filler is better than the canon stuff Kishi has done. Not just for Hinata, but for everyone who isn't Naruto or Sasuke.

Well, I won't pretend that filler was 100% super good. They ruined one of my favorite NaruHina moments (the aforementioned scene where they talk before Neji) by pairing it up with some of the stupidest filler in Part 1 Naruto.

But you gotta give them credit for trying, which is more than Kishimoto did.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like her because she exists to worship the main character,

Honestly, yeah.

I always thought she had a ton of potential, but not much was done with it beyond the chunin exams and her scene during Pain.

Love her design and both VA's though, so, meh.

Kishi had a full deck after the Sasuke retrieval arc and blew it. Smh

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I think as a kid I liked her because there was something comforting about the loser character that no one liked having a secret admirer. A lot of people related to Naruto being an outcast, so I'd assume it was the same for many with Hinata liking him.

Oct 27, 2017
Beats me. She's a trash character. I think people like her because she fits into the East Asian stereotype of the submissive unquestioning girl. Kishimoto(and lets be honest; a TON of shonen writers) suck at writing female characters.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Well, I won't pretend that filler was 100% super good. They ruined one of my favorite NaruHina moments (the aforementioned scene where they talk before Neji) by pairing it up with some of the stupidest filler in Part 1 Naruto.

But you gotta give them credit for trying, which is more than Kishimoto did.
Oh God, the whole thing where they made her seem more like a stalker right? Or am I remembering wrong?

And like, I mean, yeah, quite a bit of filler was bad. I won't claim otherwise. But as you said they did a lot more with interesting side characters than Kishi ever did with them.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Shoujo fighting manga/anime is very different from something like Inuyasha, an example is something like 07-ghost. A clear giveaway is when the whole male cast is full of pretty boys (Inuyasha and his brother are obviously attractive to MANY female fans across the globe but they are a little bit far away from the bishounen stereotype found in most shoujo/josei.)

I see now, thanks for the clarification

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1) I identify strongly with her. Always have, always will. She clearly has all the signs of anxiety disorder even if Kishimoto did not intend to write her as such. She's actually been an inspiration for me to improve myself when I saw her grow bolder and bolder. Though she starts off as a complete doormat, she does grow strong of will, gradually. Hell, are people gonna forget she slapped Naruto in the fucking face because he was acting like an idiot? Sakura didn't even do that when she should have when Naruto had a similar meltdown about Sasuke and instead tried to seduce him, if you really want to turn this into Sakura vs. Hinata (which we shouldn't, they're both good characters, or well, good as far as Naruto characters go).
2) Voiced by Stephanie Sheh in the English dub, and I just love her work.
3) I just like intelligent, kind-hearted people, which she so clearly is. I admit in general I find myself attracted to slightly sassier and/or "mature" acting girls (like, using the series as an example, Anko, Kurenai, Temari and Tsunade) but Hinata just sort of has a special place for me. And hey, bonus points, RTN Hinata is a bancho chick.

Fuuuuck what Boruto did to her though, turning her into a housewife who doesn't do ninja stuff any more. Like she couldn't even be involved in running things if she wanted to stay closer to home? Sheesh.

Hinata, along with basically every female character in the series except for perhaps Tsunade and Chiyo, is ultimate wasted potential.

TRUE. FACTS.

Loud Wailing.
At least she survived the war I guess. But damn. Kishi even had the gall to say she was his favorite female character. And proceeds to do shit all with her. Fucking hell.
Like, my intro to the series was the Gamecube games, and she was my favorite even then, before I knew there was a timeskip.
Oh God I forgot THAT fandom meltdown entirely. I would feel kinda sorry for all those NaruSakus if they didn't immediately attack Hinata fans (including those who didn't even ship NaruHina) and even Kishimoto's fucking assistant. Just. A bunch of babies.

Still wonder if that or Zuko/Katara was a bigger meltdown....

Don't act like NaruHina fans were entirely innocent during that whole charade either.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
1CDB7DFDE5C7BBEFAE0D304C3EEF1B460E28BEBE

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh God, the whole thing where they made her seem more like a stalker right? Or am I remembering wrong?

And like, I mean, yeah, quite a bit of filler was bad. I won't claim otherwise. But as you said they did a lot more with interesting side characters than Kishi ever did with them.

Nah. I'm talking about the scene right after her and Naruto talk. Naruto gets thrust into this weird ass rush to the arena, with stupid Konohanamaru hijinks. It ruins one of the best moments, because fireworks literally announce the start of the silly stupid filler crap, and it's completely nonsensical until Naruto hits the arena. It also made Naruto look several times more incompetent for no reason, so it was character derailment too.

Boruto has done a much better job with balancing it's supporting cast than Naruto ever has. Almost all of the new Kohana 12 have managed to stay relevant and have good scenes in the anime. Studio Pierrot even added some amazing scenes with Team 10 that werren't in the manga, for example.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Check it, it's totally worth it.

Look, during that whole implosion, NaruSaku fans went insane, but NaruHina fans weren't exactly angels either. They were rather openly mocking NaruSaku shippers. They even took a comic that famous NaruSaku shipper did and edited Sakura out and put Hinata in which was just low and dirty.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly they should have just paired up naruto with the hottest one since no romance was really gonna fit well (aka ino)

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Don't act like NaruHina fans were entirely innocent during that whole charade either.
I mean I only remember it as a Hinata fan, not a NaruHina fan. I didn't even remotely ship NaruHina until I saw the Last myself which was at least 4 months after the last chapter. Anything NaruHinas did that was vile went completely under the radar to me given it was NaruSakus and SasuNarus who sent like, death threats and shit.

I know, I know, huge stretch, hence why I said PERHAPS.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Also if Kishi was going to christen a ship, it was obviously going to be NaruHina.
Like Naruto never did something horrible enough to deserve Sakura inflicted on him.
Compare that with notable criminal Sasuke and you understand the ending better.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I only remember it as a Hinata fan, not a NaruHina fan. I didn't even remotely ship NaruHina until I saw the Last myself which was at least 4 months after the last chapter. Anything NaruHinas did that was vile went completely under the radar to me given it was NaruSakus and SasuNarus who sent like, death threats and shit.

I know, I know, huge stretch, hence why I said PERHAPS.
NaruHina fans sent death threats to Kishi BEFORE the pairing was made canon if it wasn't made canon.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That's "a lot of things" and a selective interpretation of that Sakurai complaint.

Both of her defining fights ends with her losing just to give Naruto motivation.

She disappears for large chunks of the story and is rarely mentioned.

Her total lack of personality outside of being shy and wanting Naruto to notice her.

Hinata is literally a reward for Naruto for overcoming all the trauma in his life.

Oct 25, 2017
Look, during that whole implosion, NaruSaku fans went insane, but NaruHina fans weren't exactly angels either. They were rather openly mocking NaruSaku shippers. They even took a comic that famous NaruSaku shipper did and edited Sakura out and put Hinata in which was just low and dirty.

Sounds like you were Iron Man when this happened and held onto a grudge.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Kishi can't write a goddamn story man. How is Hinata endgame when she was in less than 10% of the total series? Why set up the parallels with Jiraiya/Tsunade, Obito/Rin, Minato/Kushina if you weren't going to put Naruto with Sakura??

It's just bad. If he had made Hinata a member of team 7 all of those problems would've been solved. Kishimoto didn't have a plan, not a well thought out one.

Still better than what happened to Bleach
I can agree with some of the points in there. Like they did hammer the parallels between the Naruto/Sakura relationship with the others you listed. Like heavily throughout the series and even bring up the comparison blatantly. The development was there overall but in the end they defaulted to the Sasuke/Sakura pairing.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Can anyone find the "Naruto is a drinker trapped in a genjutsu" shit?

If we're going back to the great Naruto shipper meltdown, we have to do it right

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't even get the NaruSaku ship to be honest, Sakura is beyond trash why would you want the hero of the manga to end with her.
And even worse she doesn't even like Naruto, it would be a shit pairing as Sakura never loved Naruto who is painfully aware of it.
So you would end up with a couple with Naruto getting a woman who never loved him that he never liked beyond a boyhood crush.
In Universe, it's stupid and out Universe Kishi is too much of a hack to make it work.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nah. I'm talking about the scene right after her and Naruto talk. Naruto gets thrust into this weird ass rush to the arena, with stupid Konohanamaru hijinks. It ruins one of the best moments, because fireworks literally announce the start of the silly stupid filler crap, and it's completely nonsensical until Naruto hits the arena. It also made Naruto look several times more incompetent for no reason, so it was character derailment too.

Boruto has done a much better job with balancing it's supporting cast than Naruto ever has. Almost all of the new Kohana 12 have managed to stay relevant and have good scenes in the anime. Studio Pierrot even added some amazing scenes with Team 10 that werren't in the manga, for example.
Ooooohhh right right. I remember now. That was bad.

And is that so? Perhaps I've been unfairly overlooking it. Still not happy about housewife Hinata but eh...
NaruHina fans sent death threats to Kishi BEFORE the pairing was made canon if it wasn't made canon.
I mean, I never really delved into feasible Naruto ships before that debacle (HakuHina ftw), but, if so, wrow. That's awful.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Look at it this way - Sakura spends the entire series thirsting for Sasuke, even after he's tried to literally murder her and has gone full on villain mode. Hinata on the other hand at least has the good sense to fall for good guy Naruto, even though he's someone that everyone else treats like crap out of pure fear and ignorance.

Clearly both characters are terrible.

Hinata's terrible because she likes what other people don't like?

Like no, really, she's terrible because she has the sense to not hate on a goddamn child for something out of his control? That's your reasoning for why she's terrible? You seriously put that on the same level as "loves their abuser / attempted murderer"?

O~kay then.

Anyway people have already said why exactly Hinata's popular--inoffensive, sweet, loves the main character. She's not my number one in the series but it's fairly easy to see what's going on.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hinata's terrible because she likes what other people don't like?

Like no, really, she's terrible because she has the sense to not hate on a goddamn child for something out of his control? That's your reasoning for why she's terrible? You seriously put that on the same level as "loves their abuser / attempted murderer"?

O~kay then.

I feel like you read that completely wrong.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Times like this, I kinda miss PsychoMantis's nonsensical defense of the series. Is he still banned?