• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Actually I stopped reading Naruto before the whole Boruto shit, lol. I don't really care, is just funny to me how even Kishi had to clarify it, because she really looks much more like Karin.
Oh on on that I 100% agree. Kishi totally did that on purpose to troll his fans. The one thing he and Kubo have in common is they like trolling.

But when you actually watch or read the arc where Sarada learns that Sakura is her real mom it's actually quite well done. The little flashbacks that Sarada has are great indicators that Sakura turned out to be a great mother even if she had to do it in her own.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Actually I stopped reading Naruto before the whole Boruto shit, lol. I don't really care, is just funny to me how even Kishi had to clarify it, because she really looks much more like Karin.

She really doesn't it's the glasses, which are in fact, Karin's, She and Sakura became good friends at some point during the time skip, she was the one to deliver Sarada, and she took a habit of gifting her glasses

Like that time she made some ointment for him, that bitch!

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of wasted potential. Freaking Anko.

Orochimaru student with the curse mark and knew Orochimaru jutsus.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naruto getting mad when pain bitch slapped Hinata was hilarious. She's was tolerable as the the shy kid but when she got shoe horned into the story as Naruto's love interest....she was also bearable. She's just sorta there. I don't think anyone cares.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think that for starters, she didnt dismissed naruto like sakura did at the start of the series.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
That's not a great example when that happened way worse with Bulma. Freaking years of a relationship with Yamcha only to end up out of goddamn nowhere with Vegeta. Even Hiromi Tsuru-san (RIP) and the rest of the cast were confused haha.

Yamcha getting screwed at every turn till the end.
For some reason I didn't care about Bulma getting with Vegeta at all, likely because I don't care about Yamcha, haha.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
She had a neat design and cool powers.
She was also never ruined and dragged through the mud like every other character in Naruto.
Also not a Nazi like her cousin.

Probably could have done more with her, but Kishi was terrible and ruined every character he touched in part 2, only Madara and Killer Bee survived unscathed.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Toriyama is very likely shipping didn't exist back then, the reactions to Vegeta/Bulma would've been GOLD.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
People that hate on characters such as Hinata and Orihime for petty reasons are trash.

Sorry they are not your action girl 24/7. Its OK to dislike or hate them based on their flaws that you find to be undesirable. But most of the time its just jabs that they were useless in the plot and only exist to be a romantic foil for the protagonist.

If you are gonna criticize something, put some effort into it instead of saying they were useless because they weren't involved in big events.

Already see Ochako getting hate due to her liking Izuku in BHA. Can't wait for the salt as season 3 continues.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I have this theory people like Hinata because the main heroine sucks ass, so we latch to the next best thing, plus she is mostly inoffensive unlike fucking Sakura.

However you can tell Kishimoto was bewildered by her popularity and didn't know what to do with her, I don't buy his comments about how he planned Naruto/Hinata since long ago, he probably had Naruto/Sakura together but he went "oh shit" went Hinata started appearing higher and higher in popularity polls. Pretty sure Minato even made a comment about how Sakura was just like his wife, I mean you can't get more blatant than that and even when Minato questions Naruto about her he doesn't deny a possible boyfriend/girlfriend relationship (which pisses her off)

Just a theory though, Hinata had the potential to be a much better character and our main Hyuga, but I mean you can say that about 90% of the cast.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You get trash like Guilty Crown or SAO
These are a anime-only series and a trashy web novel respectively. There are good romance shounen series out there, stuff like Kimagure Orange Road or even more recent series like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso are examples of well done romance-focused shounen series.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People that hate on characters such as Hinata and Orihime for petty reasons are trash.

Sorry they are not your action girl 24/7. Its OK to dislike or hate them based on their flaws that you find to be undesirable. But most of the time its just jabs that they were useless in the plot and only exist to be a romantic foil for the protagonist.

If you are gonna criticize something, put some effort into it instead of saying they were useless because they weren't involved in big events.

Already see Ochako getting hate due to her liking Izuku in BHA. Can't wait for the salt as season 3 continues.

That's a good reason to dislike a character...

Oct 25, 2017
I have this theory people like Hinata because the main heroine sucks ass, so we latch to the next best thing, plus she is mostly inoffensive unlike fucking Sakura.

However you can tell Kishimoto was bewildered by her popularity and didn't know what to do with her, I don't buy his comments about how he planned Naruto/Hinata since long ago, he probably had Naruto/Sakura together but he went "oh shit" went Hinata started appearing higher and higher in popularity polls. Pretty sure Minato even made a comment about how Sakura was just like his wife, I mean you can't get more blatant than that and even when Minato questions Naruto about her he doesn't deny a possible boyfriend/girlfriend relationship (which pisses her off)

Just a theory though, Hinata had the potential to be a much better character and our main Hyuga, but I mean you can say that about 90% of the cast.
Maybe some people don't want to end up with women that remind them of their mom.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

black_zetsu_has_kaguyas_will1_by_dynamo1212-daa5eo4.png

Already see Ochako getting hate due to her liking Izuku in BHA.

Even if that was a concern, that's the least of my issues with Uraraka these days.

Shikamaru / Temari worked as it's background subtle thing.

Asuma was tapping Kurenai on the low.

It's probably the ones that don't get major focus that work the best. But not shit like Sai and Ino literally coming out of nowhere.

I mean romance as in it being in the forefront. Low-key stuff usually turns out well enough... I guess.

knocturnalis

Oct 27, 2017
Hinata is super dumb. She "loves" Naruto to the point of obsession and has apparently been watching him his whole life, but has barely said a word to him. Hell, in extended material (games, filler, SD), Sakura and the other Konoha 11 were the best wingmen ever by trying to get Hinata together with Naruto, but she's so damn indecisive.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I won't pretend that Kishimoto handled his supporting cast very well. However he definitely did build up Naruto and Hinata as early as the Chunin Exams. They had many moments together that Naruto never demonstrated with another character at that point. Chapter 79 and 80 established that Naruto did see something in Hinata that he liked, and the other characters referenced how similar the two of them were. Similarly, Chapter 98 established that Naruto was willing to talk about stuff to Hinata that he never willingly voiced to anyone else.

It was definitely there, and not out of left field.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I didn't care about Bulma getting with Vegeta at all, likely because I don't care about Yamcha, haha.
If you grew up with DBZ without seeing Yamcha before I can totally see that, with the original series in mind it was just a confusing plot-twist (if we can call it that) that literally comes out of nowhere. They don't have any chemistry even after having a kid on Z lol.

But Toriyama loved fucking up with Yamcha since the beginning, so I guess shame on us for not seeing coming haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Hinata is super dumb. She "loves" Naruto to the point of obsession and has apparently been watching him his whole life, but has barely said a word to him. Hell, in extended material (games, filler, SD), Sakura and the other Konoha 11 were the best wingmen ever by trying to get Hinata together with Naruto, but she's so damn indecisive.
I mean, she knew what she wanted, she was just bad at speaking up.

You got threads here FULL of people like that asking for advice.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know, clearly Hinata got bigger boobs after the timeskip, but it's also kind of weird how people act as if she literally had no fans before said timeskip lol

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it either. From the very beginning I didn't care for her and I thought it was blugh as hell that she ended up with Naruto. Like, I don't especially ship NaruSaku either but if I had to pick one that would have felt way more natural in regards to the story and character dynamics imo (and would have saved the huge blight on the ending that is SasuSaku being realized ugh). All the end game ships in Naruto besides ShikaTem were kinda trash, though. Part of the reason why I won't touch Boruto - I just wanna pretend they didn't happen lol.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Hinata did not have enough development IMO. Her relationship with Naruto absolutely had too little development.

When you actually look at how many times they had a conversation in the whole series...it's very little. So little that they had to make a fan-fic tier movie to justify when Naruto actually started to be interested in her romantically.

Saying she was planned to be the endgame girl is one thing, making it believable is another. Kishi needed to plan it better.

On the whole, I disliked how they basically said "hey girls, be a pathetic simp who devotes your whole life to one guy and have no real interest in bettering yourself, and you'll succeed in life!" Both Hina and Sakura just blindly devoted themselves to Naruto and Sasuke (at least Naruto was a decent guy though unlike Sasuke) and it was kinda gross. I don't even think Hinata ever has a whole conversation with anyone that doesn't involve "Naruto-kun".

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017

That was all out of Madaras hands, not even he could see the plot going in such a stupid direction.
All the other characters were ruined by being written as insuffurable annoying douchebags.

The worst thing about that situation is Zetsu being one of Kaguyas instead of a weird Madara/Hashirama clone love child.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I won't pretend that Kishimoto handled his supporting cast very well. However he definitely did build up Naruto and Hinata as early as the Chunin Exams. They had many moments together that Naruto never demonstrated with another character at that point. Chapter 79 and 80 established that Naruto did see something in Hinata that he liked, and the other characters referenced how similar the two of them were. Similarly, Chapter 98 established that Naruto was willing to talk about stuff to Hinata that he never willingly voiced to anyone else.

Oh it wasn't out of left field at all. NaruHina was an option from the very beginning.

I personally just felt that he built up Naruto and Sakura more, seeing as there were large portions of the manga where Hinata was nowhere to be found, nor mentioned. The same can be said for Sakura but her relationship with Naruto was still given more time and build.

Although to be honest, none of the couples in the show are realistic, given that they all start off as childish crushes and the more time they spent together, the more they should have realized that they didn't actually like each other in the first place.

It would have been good writing on Kishi's part to have Sakura, at the very least realize that she didn't actually like Sasuke as a person and decide to go find someone who she could have a healthy relationship with. NaruSaku looked like end game (purely due to the amount of build up it received by comparison) until that fake confession. There was really no coming back from that.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017

You are right, I forgot about how he showed his vulnerable side to her before his fight with Neji, but remind me, where did it go from there? I don't remember a particular interaction happening until much later? (Time skip??) At times it felt like Kishimoto couldn't squeeze more Hinata time since the plot didn't call for it, I mean they dedicated a whole movie so Naruto could catch up to her feelings, clearly (and sadly) they did not plan things very thoroughly and that is a shame.