• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that it's generally pretty hard to wrap ones head around why anime fans like a lot of the things they do. The biggest anime shows like Naruto Shippuden, DBS, or One Piece are, or were, absolutely terrible when it came to big things like the writing and story, pacing, or animation. But that hasn't stopped anime fans from being dedicated watchers for years and years

As for this specific character. Look at it this way - Sakura spends the entire series thirsting for Sasuke, even after he's tried to literally murder her and has gone full on villain mode. Hinata on the other hand at least has the good sense to fall for good guy Naruto, even though he's someone that everyone else treats like crap out of pure fear and ignorance.

Clearly both characters are terrible. But Hinata at least wasn't the absolute worst female character in the series

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
TenTen is the only chick worth a damn because Kishimoto didn't spend any panels shitting on her.

She took her one L during the Chunnin exams and disappeared. There's still hope for her ass.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, hi.

Twelve year old Hinata was basically me at that same age, personality wise. So she became my favorite character almost instantly.

I also really like her romance with Naruto, and I wasn't fond of Sakura at all starting out.

I wish Kishimoto had done more with her, however. Studio Pierrot did Hinata better than he ever did, with the additional filler and the 10th movie.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
She's an inoffensive, anxious, innocent character who has qualities that are associated as weak, but has moments where she overcomes. It's not hard to get.

Pretty much. She's a cute character who tries her best what's not to like? Plus there's a ton of filler stuff that fleshes her out a bit more. Man, people here have been really stretching with these naruto hate threads.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody knows Hinata and Sakura are just Naruto's and Sasuke's beards. It's why they're both never around their family.

Oct 25, 2017
TenTen is the only chick worth a damn because Kishimoto didn't spend any panels shitting on her.

She took her one L during the Chunnin exams and disappeared. There's still hope for her ass.
Uh ...

There's this.

lXouC6f.png

And her internal commentary during the Naruto / Neji fight that made people dislike her.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can't stand neither Hinata or Sakura. They're just so poorly written and fit two sexist ideas of what female characters need to be, rather than becoming something more than just someone to get in a relationship with the central characters. Both of them fit two different male bravado sexist fantasies and I've never been a fan of their character arcs.
You are 100% right about Hinata on that point but not with Sakura.

Sakura went and made herself far more than just Sasuke's wife. She was trained by the 5th Hokage, was a student of the 6th and went on to become the best medical shinobi the leaf village has.

But like I said you are 100% right on Hinata.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say most of it comes from the fact that she's obsessed with the main character. That's it, really. It's a self-insert thing. It's why trashy LN shit is so popular.

She's a pretty bland, nothing character. But at least she's not Sakura, so that's something, right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love how apparently if you bash Hinata, you're automatically a NaruSaku shipper.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The idea that TenTen only took one L is hilarious

Her irrevelancy to the story is an L. Hell, Kishimoto even trolls us by having her front like she's about to use those Treasured Tools of the Sage of Six Paths at some point, only for nothing to ever come out of it.

And then of course, he gives her one last L with this:

tumblr_inline_oqwm0kg8tO1talnvf_500.png

Girl can't even make a living because the world's no longer in a place where they'd want to regularly buy weapons. Those treasured tools remain in the background, never to be used again.

TenTen's a failure.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Uh ...

There's this.

lXouC6f.png

And her internal commentary during the Naruto / Neji fight that made people dislike her.
That's the L I'm referring to. 13 year olds have bounced back from worse.
She's on the verge on Bankruptcy in Boruto isn't she?
She's a war veteran in her early 20s and no kids. She's free to live life! What's Neji up to?

E: Y'all some bullies. I'm tryna get TenTen some shine and y'all hit me back with facts. Keep hope alive.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't. Don't put that one. I'm just here for the salt while point out people's poor understanding of the series.

"It's not like I like Hinata, she's just inoffensive. She's like Shino." - My first words in this thread.

Good for you. I feel bad about laughing at earned salt though, Kishi could've handled the relationships a lot better

What? Jiraiya and Tsunade was never a thing. Obito and Rin is a laughable "parallel" on so many levels, I don't even want to get into that. Minato and Kushina, sure, Kushina even wanted Naruto to find someone like her as she took her dying breath, so... 1 out of 3?

Regardless, Kishimoto was never obligated to make Sakura endgame. What he was obligated to do however was actually write a good potentially romantic relationship with whoever he ended up choosing. He didn't do with that either character. Hell, he couldn't do the bare minimum of letting Naruto remember Hinata's confession.

In the end, both characters were defined by the men in their lives. But at the same time, one of them was Sakura. So it was definitely a case of picking the (much) lesser of two evils lmao

I hope you got low expectations for MHA lol

Think about Naruto, he was the one to succeed where others failed. That's why I listed Jiraiya/Tsunade and Obito/Rin as parallels, because he did master sage mode where Jiraiya couldn't and become Hokage like Obito wanted. It's not a stretch to assume he would get Sakura considering how Kishimoto set up the series up until that point. You are right she doesn't have to be endgame and she's trash anyway, but it just makes it more egregious that he put on those parallels.

That's my whole problem with the thing. I wanted an actual good romantic relationship, and we didn't get that with any pairing. So in the end we have one trash character and one character who is barely a character at all.

It'll probably come back to bite me, but MHA can't get any worse than Naruto Shippers lol

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the main problem is how Hinata was written rather than the type of character she is, Kishi (and well all big 3 mangas) treat their female characters like shit, with stupid character arcs or just downright sexist trope fodder. Hinata has another whole issue in how badly written is her relationship with Naruto, she's infatiuated with him for years, he in love with a different person, they barely interact in years of manga and somehow they end in love, because Hinata protects Naruto a couple of times or something...

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tenten really should have had more screen time. Give her the treasured tools earlier and let her be badass.

Naruto's biggest flaw is that there were too many "supporting main" characters that Kishi just didn't know what to do with.

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you. I feel bad about laughing at earned salt though, Kishi could've handled the relationships a lot better

Think about Naruto, he was the one to succeed where others failed. That's why I listed Jiraiya/Tsunade and Obito/Rin as parallels, because he did master sage mode where Jiraiya couldn't and become Hokage like Obito wanted. It's not a stretch to assume he would get Sakura considering how Kishimoto set up the series up until that point. You are right she doesn't have to be endgame and she's trash anyway, but it just makes it more egregious that he put on those parallels.

That's my whole problem with the thing. I wanted an actual good romantic relationship, and we didn't get that with any pairing. So in the end we have one trash character and one character who is barely a character at all.

It'll probably come back to bite me, but MHA can't get any worse than Naruto Shippers lol
You realize you're doing the thing you keep accusing people of.

What the hell?

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Wow, you went there.

Think about Naruto, he was the one to succeed where others failed.

I don't think that applied to love interests tho lmao

At least you have Shikamaru and Temari? Kind of?

If he doesn't "deliver", then hey, ya never know...

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's an inoffensive, anxious, innocent character who has qualities that are associated as weak, but has moments where she overcomes. It's not hard to get.

This + a lot of viewers are vicariously living through Naruto, so the thought of someone like Hinata liking them was exhilarating.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Who's who?

Oct 25, 2017
Pain's arc entire budget went to HER moment,
Patently false. Her fight with pain got a handful of minutes of key animation, while Naruto six tails vs Pain had an entire high budget episode with animator Norio Matsumoto at the helm. He did some great experimental animation that really elevated it to one of the most memorable fights in shonen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Patently false. Her fight with pain got a handful of minutes of key animation, while Naruto vs Pain had an entire high budget episode with animator Norio Matsumoto at the helm. He did some great experimental animation that really elevated it to one of the most memorable fights in shonen.
Really? I don't think Shippuden ever topped Naruto vs. Sasuke 1. That shit changed my life.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I dunno, I never liked Hinata. Basically a lot of the same shit people criticize Sakura for applies to Hinata as well, but it gets downplayed in her case because she was basically "My first Waifu" for a lot of anime fans lol

Nov 2, 2017
Because Hinata even if underused is never offensive, and has a great part in Naruto's development through Neji in part 1. Whereas Sakura has a bullshit win against Ino in part 1 (when Ino was clearly the better ninja, but Sakura whipped out a plot device that never returned), whined and moaned the rest of part 1, then had one cool fight vs. Sasori, and then went back to whining and moaning. Hinata didn't do shit in Shippuden but neither did most of the side cast, including the rest of her team. Sakura is a main character while Hinata is a side character, they get judged to different standards.

Nothing Hinata does is half as obnoxious as the "RAH NARUTO YOU'RE SO DUMB" proceeded by "comically" beating him up that gets repeated ad nauseum throughout the anime.

I'll take a wallflower that pines over a dude that inspired her over a character that pines over a dude because he was sexy and then never lets go even after he attempts to murder her any day

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
Actually I stopped reading Naruto before the whole Boruto shit, lol. I don't really care, is just funny to me how even Kishi had to clarify it, because she really looks much more like Karin.
Dude she looks like a girl version of Sasuke. The only reason why people think she looks like Karin is sole because of the glasses.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So true, but I'm also not wrong. That would be like Goku and Bulma being teased and THEN he ends up with Chi-Chi. Like, what was the point?
That's not a great example when that happened way worse with Bulma. Freaking years of a relationship with Yamcha only to end up out of goddamn nowhere with Vegeta. Even Hiromi Tsuru-san (RIP) and the rest of the cast were confused haha.

How did you feel about her not marrying Yamcha, and suddenly marrying Vegeta?

The marriage to Vegeta was a surprise. (laughs) The other cast members thought Yamcha and Bulma would get married, too. So everyone was taken aback! Even Furuya-san, who plays Yamcha, and Horikawa-san, who plays Vegeta, went "Whaaa—?!" (laughs)
Yamcha getting screwed at every turn till the end.