• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The major things I noticed:
--no real food offered at concessions anymore. Just popcorn and candy and drinks. I am still missing those superb AMC mozzarella sticks and the flatbread pizzas. Straws, lids, condiments and napkins are on-request only. Drinks and popcorn are $5 each for right now and probably the forseeable future. If you want any substantial nutrition you will probably have to sneak contraband food into the theatre in a purse, handbag, or cargo pants.

--more on pricing: $5 tickets for all the "classic" and second-run films (Sonic the Hedgehog, Bloodshot, Jumanji, etc). Inception IMAX is $8 though. I'll be curious if they go back to demanding normally high prices for first--run films. Unhinged on a Dolby Screen was $18.....which in insanity but at the very least is a good way of ensuring that the theatre would be at low capacity. Tenet Early Access on Dolby was only $16 for some reason, while normal projection for Tenet Early Access was $12.

--soda fountains still in operation. Signs say there is a "No Refill" policy for popcorn and drinks, but as far as I can tell there's really nothing to prevent you from getting a second helping of soda (I did not try to do so though). I feel like this is kind of a recurring theme -- "Here's a rule intended to protect you, but probably nobody is going to really enforce it." I wiped down the touchscreens on the Coca Cola Freestyle machines before and after use. I think they really should have just roped off the soda area and had employees handling drink service and refills.

--there is supply of alcohol disinfectant wipes in front of every auditorium. Take as many as you like, and use them to wipe down your seats and armrests. This is a nice touch, as you can do all the work yourself and don't have to be reliant on theatre staff to clean seating surfaces. There's sanitizer stations around the areas as well.

--masks "required" for anyone not eating or drinking. Again though, I'm not sure how much this is really being enforced. I never noticed anyone come in to the auditorium to do a mask check. I didn't report anyone for not wearing a mask, so I don't know what the response would be if I did. If anyone shows up without a mask, they will apparently sell you one for $1. I saw people in the hallways without masks and nobody was exactly hounding them to cover their faces. The theatre was doing an okay level of business, but certainly not what you would expect a normal Saturday night to look like.

--"Restricted seating." As far as I can tell, their ticketing software automatically builds a 1-2 seat buffer around any sections you purchase. So while no seats are strictly "unavailable", as other patrons purchase tickets to a particular show the seats around them will be blocked as unavailable. For mega-auditoriums that don't have the kind of spacing already allowed by the large recliner seats, every other row is completely blocked off from purchase. Smaller theatres tend to rely on the auto-buffering in the ticketing system, and I imagine that the "40% capacity" promise is centered more around the fire marshalls' estimates rather than the actual number of seats available.....because it looks like plenty of the 20-30 seat auditoriums are pretty well sold through. The small auditoriums already have massively spaced out rows, so not every other row is blocked out from purchase.

--our seating. We had an entire row to ourselves in a "small" theatre. Rows in front and behind us were pretty spaced out and significantly elevated/lowered. I don't feel like anybody ever came into our personal space. We kicked back our recliners and largely enjoyed the show.

How Was The Movie?

Pretty good! While I have vivid memories of seeing Return of the Jedi in theatres as a child, I was too young to have seen ESB on a big screen so I was rather looking forward to it. Of course they showed one of the Special Edition versions with updated effects. It was not the original SE that has Luke's dumb yelp when he takes a leap off of Bespin. Enough content has been replaced/upgraded that I often found myself trying to remember what the original 1980's cut of the film was like or how it was different.

I went with a friend who has only recently re-entered the Star Wars universe/fandom through a Disney+ subscription and she was loving it. She was laughing at all the comic relief, trembling at the tense/dramatic moments, crying at the sad moments. It was a fun reminder of how nice it is to go out to the movies with expressive and enthusiastic friends. She winced when Leia kissed Luke.....which actually happens twice in the film (I only remembered the one instance that everybody mentions). I always kinda disliked ESB for all the low-stakes downtime there is in the middle of the film, but it seemed to move at a much better pace than I really recalled.

Even though I kinda prefer the other 2 films in the Original Trilogy, I am glad that they chose to release ESB since ANH and ROTJ have much more distracting and substantial Special Edition changes. I'll bet Disney could make a killing if they ever decided to release the original versions for a theatrical-only run, sometime in the future. Just bill it as "the original movies, seen as they originally were."

Are You Going Back?

Ehhhh, maybe if the screenings for Tenet aren't too full. I find myself strangely tempted to go see Back to The Future and The Goonies on the big screen, but it's probably not worth it unless I can find a friend to go with that's excited for them as mine was for ESB. The next time I'm going out for a movie will probably be for a Drive-In showing of Bill & Ted Face The Music, which I presume will probably be a safer and better experience than most brick & mortar theaters can currently provide. It's showing here locally, and there will be food trucks to service anyone who wants to snack during the show.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
RIsking covid to go see the Empire Strikes Back? I don't get it. The government has totally failed us and businesses, but no threatres should be open right now.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice write-up, but no pictures is unforgivable. I don't think I'll be entering a movie theater at all this year.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Nolan not budging and allowing Tenet to be released on VoD as well as a theatre run is one of the craziest, and seemingly slightly selfish things I've seen from a creator. I'm sure people would see it at home, and I genuinely think it's just not worth the risk to go out.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
RIsking covid to go see the Empire Strikes Back? I don't get it. The government has totally failed us and businesses, but no threatres should be open right now.
I heard there's a shocking twist in the movie, so you have to see it lol

I don't get it either, but yeah the OP clearly knows the risk.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
--soda fountains still in operation. Signs say there is a "No Refill" policy for popcorn and drinks, but as far as I can tell there's really nothing to prevent you from getting a second helping of soda (I did not try to do so though). I feel like this is kind of a recurring theme -- "Here's a rule intended to protect you, but probably nobody is going to really enforce it."
mSHi8_d.webp

I'm gonna be in a hazmat suit just to see Black Widow and that's it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My local small chain theater had been open for awhile but mostly doing private screenings. Just recently they decided to more public screenings with limited seating and they're working on a drive thru screening as well.

Their private screenings I think 10 people or less for $50 and $5 for an additional person up to 25 in your party. Every other row was marked off with tape. They also did drive thru snacks just to have some money come in.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the impressions, I was curious how this would work. I'm still no where close though to wanting to sit in a confined space like that for 2hrs with strangers, regardless of the precautions.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I miss movie theaters and that doesn't make me comfortable about going back any time soon. It's going to be a tough decision in 2021 when some of the bigger movies start being released eventually, but man am I glad I have a decent quality projector setup with 5.1 surround sound. It takes a bit of the sting out of movie theaters being shut down as I can replicate the experience just a tiny bit even though it's nowhere near as good.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Real interesting stuff, great perspective.

Honestly what bothers me most isn't the cleanliness of the surface. I can avoid touching my face and wash my hands and such. What bothers me is the air. Ventilation, circulation etc. Can clean everything you want but if you are all sitting in a room creating a covid cloud to breathe it doesnt matter.

So there is that, the other part is, it may just be a matter of time until me or my family gets COVID and we face the consequences of it, no matter what we do it will likely happen. But I can avoid it as much as possible and only do the things I need to do, work, food/store.

So going to a movie and taking that risk, I can live with myself if it devastates my life doing something I had to do, but being the cause... the fact that I went to see Inception? Nah. So I'll wait probably til a vaccine. Regal (I have regal unlimited) can charge me for it each month and I'm glad to support them in some way but nah. Though I suspect this kind of thing will naturally lead to a rise in cases along with what will likely big a big fall/winter and flu season.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I went to go see Dave Franco's The Rental, there were four others in the theater, super easy to stay distanced. Low Key, felt normal for the first time in a while. And man I missed movie popcorn. Kept mask on when not eating or drinking. They did all of the serving at my theater.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
--our seating. We had an entire row to ourselves in a "small" theatre. Rows in front and behind us were pretty spaced out and significantly elevated/lowered. I don't feel like anybody ever came into our personal space.
It has nothing to do with personal space.
The issue is are you breathing the same breath particles that someone else with the virus has.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice write-up, but no pictures is unforgivable. I don't think I'll be entering a movie theater at all this year.
I wasn't really thinking of doing a write-up or report on it when I went, so I did not snap any pictures with my phone camera. Pictures wouldn't tell much of a story though. There's no crowds or congestion. It's like being in a normal AMC on a slow weeknight or matinee. Everybody's wearing masks and there are sani-wipe dispensers and hand sanitizer stations. Visually speaking, the place doesn't look that strikingly different (or at least not moreso than any other retail/public space in the COVID era). The main thing that struck me were the menu screens at the concession stand -- they used to be sprawling lists of video screens that showcased menus of all kinds of delicious foods and snack-bar type items. Now half the screens are blacked out and most of the remaining ones just say "Popcorn" and "Drinks".

One of the major missteps though is that the turnstyle system for the concession line has not been altered at all to allow for social distancing, though. You still just go through a looping roped off area as you wait.....there's no markers on the floor to remind people to keep their distance. It wasn't an issue for me since there was no significant wait anyway, but I'm surprised how litle effort went into it given that they actually have a lot of vertical space in front of the concession stand that they could have used to make long, straight, single-file lines.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Even with regulations to keep things in check I don't feel the need to go see a movie in theaters, when I go see a movie with friends I just wanna go chill and not think of a bunch of things to keep safe.

I'll wait for it to get to streaming or the 4K Bu-Ray.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you're an essential worker, your sense of risk gets kind of warped anyway. I risk getting COVID for 8-12 hours every weekday, so going to a 2 hour movie seems like a drop in the bucket by comparison.

I imagine going back to theaters or concerts will be quite the leap for those that have been working from home or staying at home for many months, though.

This is arguably a final chance to see Empire Strikes Back in a theatrical setting, given that Disney (prior to COVID) was specifically prohibiting any and all theatrical showings of its entire film catalog. Once things are back to normal, that policy will probably resume. Outside of the marathons associated with the release of a new Star Wars film, the Original Trilogy might not be in theaters for quite some time. I don't encourage anyone else to go if they aren't comfortable though.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I bought a free ticket for Tenet for September 1st at a Marcus Theatre so I'll post my impressions in that time and will post pics of how it works

And yes, I'll make every single precaution possible with masks, gloves, etc.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Good write-up. No cinema for me until next summer at least.

However, ESB is your least favorite? Everyone knows it's the best SW film ever made.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm good. I was already getting over the movie theater experience and this pandemic pretty much sealed the deal for me.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
When you're an essential worker, your sense of risk gets kind of warped anyway. I risk getting COVID for 8-12 hours every weekday, so going to a 2 hour movie seems like a drop in the bucket by comparison.

I imagine going back to theaters or concerts will be quite the leap for those that have been working from home or staying at home for many months, though.

This is arguably a final chance to see Empire Strikes Back in a theatrical setting, given that Disney (prior to COVID) was specifically prohibiting any and all theatrical showings of its entire film catalog. Once things are back to normal, that policy will probably resume. Outside of the marathons associated with the release of a new Star Wars film, the Original Trilogy might not be in theaters for quite some time. I don't encourage anyone else to go if they aren't comfortable though.
Appreciate this post and thank you for showing up to work throughout all this bullshit. You shouldn't have to justify this as an essential worker especially.

edit: Nolan, if its his decision, is fucking up royally by not letting Tenet go VOD.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Nolan not budging and allowing Tenet to be released on VoD as well as a theatre run is one of the craziest, and seemingly slightly selfish things I've seen from a creator. I'm sure people would see it at home, and I genuinely think it's just not worth the risk to go out.
Yeah, I've really lost a lot of respect for Nolan over this.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Drive-in or bust for me.

All these studios should have just delayed their slate a year or so.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I saw people in the hallways without masks and nobody was exactly hounding them to cover their faces. The theatre was doing an okay level of business, but certainly not what you would expect a normal Saturday night to look like.

I swear people are trying to kill my parents.

Can't wait for the continued outbreak! Thanks, everyone!

Also, fuck Chris Nolan.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this is where I'm at, generally speaking. There's enough precautions I can take that going to a movie isn't going to be any more dangerous than going to work every day, so I'm not really against doing it. My biggest problem is that there probably isn't gonna be another movie I want to see in theaters for the next month or two, and even then I'm just gonna pay attention and try to make sure the showing I'm in has a few people as possible.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the write up OP. I'm also tempting to go to the movies for ESB and BttF. But i would have to drive to Vegas to visit a theater since movies are still closed in Cali.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I went in to a Cinemark theater on Friday night to buy popcorn. I have been craving movie theater popcorn for about 2 months. They had the entire lobby roped off so it was like standing in like at an amusement park & only certain amount of people could be in each area at a time. They had someone a the front door scanning your ticket; or in my case, letting you in when the area had fallen below the person limit. The concession area was card sales only; so no one was handling paper money.

All in all, the lobby felt pretty clean; but I have no idea what the actual auditorium looked like. But I will say, for a Friday evening, the theater was pretty damn empty. Went in, got the popcorn & walked out & only saw 2 other people in the building, not counting employees. The guy working at the concession said it had been slow, but people had been pretty understanding of their policies which is nice.

I'll probably still stick with the Drive-In for a while, but damn, it was nice to have some movie theater popcorn. Haha

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Both AMCs within 20-40 minutes of me shut down for good. One of the few things our small area had, I doubt anything ever replaces them. Not that I would have went right now anyways.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I write about movies for a living so it's especially tough deciding not to go back to cover films like Tenet, New Mutants etc, but even in a country that's far less afflicted than the U.S. now (the UK), it doesn't feel right to me.

Like, I just don't think I'd be able to take in a movie as dense as Tenet while worrying about covid and what other people in the cinema are up to. I might try in a month or two, but I can easily hold out for as long as needs must.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I really want to see Tenet but people here are particularly dumb (meaning republican) and I just know that those idiots are gonna pack the theaters here. Maskless, too.

I'm not technically ever considered an essential worker but I've had no choice but to work throughout this shit so I understand what you mean about being subjected to the possibility anyway. Fortunately if anything it's made me extremely cautious when I'm not at work just like when I am.

Oh and also Fuck Chris Nolan.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I restarted my A-list, and booked some tickets, but in the end just couldn't bring myself to go, and canceled my tickets. I don't think I can resist forever nowt hat they're open and once new movies are in, but at least they make it easy to see how full the theater is.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

This is not how risk works. You should be trying to minimize risk as much as possible, especially since you are at risk at work. All that said, you're an adult, so you do what you think is right.

I'll wait until we are post vaccine to see a movie.