• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like telling people to wear masks that people can't find when they're just trying to feed their families is unhelpful advice. No one wants to be out in the first place. And stuff like soaping up your apples falls in line with that dogshit video we saw a week back.

I wash my hands like a madman, wash my home like a madman, stay the fuck away from everyone. Hand sanitizer after touching ANYTHING in public.

If every square inch of solid, liquid, or gas is infected, you're going to get it. I don't at all blame anyone for their efforts to keep safe, but there comes a point where we have to be human.

Oct 27, 2017
Today teenagers running down the aisles, folks talking like there's nothing special going on right now. Amazing.

Still no TP anywhere. Price for eggs is going to go up, so it's selling out now. No rye bread, had to do with a loaf of regular wheat for tuna fish sandwiches, grilled cheese, toast, etc.

Some parking lots are really empty. Others are just quiet.

But we had to go out to get some things, last time was almost two weeks ago. Had to go to two supermarkets to cover our needs, will go out later today for bulk stuff, and then probably stay in for at least a week straight.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I was at a store for some stuff last night and it was like any other pre-COVID-19 day, other than the announcements that they were closing at 8:30 and the ground pork being sold out. A few people were wearing masks but that was about it.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Pretty similar safety measures from supermarkets here in Ireland as in the OP. Some customers look visibly worried, others make light of the situation but everyone seems to be observing distance and generally not spending longer in store than they have to. Lots of gloves and a few masks being worn, even "creative" masks like visors that look like they're meant for forestry or something.

Supplies are good and shelves are full now thankfully, everyone seems to have gotten over the panic buying.

Oct 31, 2017
That sounds so much fucking safer than the grocery store I work at. I want to fucking cry.

The workplace I work at doesn't give a FUCK. I still have to fucking handle a customer's debit card or cash and there aren't nearly enough gloves (or time/employees) for Me to be able to change them after every transaction

A customer came in saying she was at the hospital over the weekend with a fever of 106 but she's better now

Lol

She tried handing me things but I literally said I don't want to touch it

I DEFINITELY have it in my system now

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
The workplace I work at doesn't give a FUCK. I still have to fucking handle a customer's debit card or cash and there aren't nearly enough gloves (or time/employees) for Me to be able to change them after every transaction

A customer came in saying she was at the hospital over the weekend with a fever of 106 but she's better now

Lol

She tried handing me things but I literally said I don't want to touch it

I DEFINITELY have it in my system now
Why would you change gloves after every transaction?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
(France)
You're guaranteed at least two persons yelling at each other at your local supermarket.
and we've got at least two more weeks of this shit

Mar 29, 2018
My shopping experiences have been fine because I live in a friendly city.

But walking around in the evening is overall very strange. There are individuals on the streets who are just weird. And usually drunk. People sitting in odd places. Stumbling around. Talking loudly in otherwise silent streets. I think it must be a lot of people whose lives are normally entirely their work and now they have nothing to do so they roam around listlessly.

Very uncanny vibe.

Sounds nice. Over here in Brooklyn I walked around the block earlier.

You would not know we have a pandemic. Tons of people out, families out together (lots of kids).... was too annoyed to even check the park. We're doomed here. The baffling part is that these aren't teens being out, these are adults with families.
Jesus Christ no way

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
i-am-going-to-costco-i-am-legend-corona-virus-meme.jpg

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I havent been since sunday. There was a huge queue of at least 100 people. Had to show NHS ID badges to get in, trolleys wiped, hands cleaned. Inside was busy and people acting like idiots. I was so frustrated and just wanted out.

I'm dreading going tomorrow but thankfully don't need much. Just fresh vegetables, milk, fruit, eggs, bread. Got plenty of frozen/canned food and pasta/rice/noodles to last month's. Had a lot of it before all this madness started as I always tend to keep well stocked up at the best of times.

Mar 29, 2018
I think some may be confusing airborne with the ability for it to spread from a cough or sneeze.

I can throw a ball thru the air at you, but that doesn't mean baseballs are inherently airborne. They don't hang out in the air when not being thrown.

My understanding is it isn't airborne, but someone could throw the virus onto you or a nearby surface if they cough or sneeze.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if this is wrong though, considering the back and forth misinformation has been spreading lately, like the ibuprofen thing. Apparently that's now false. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah I think the message is that it does linger in the air because it's in vapours, but that it quite quickly falls. Still, if someone has a coughing fit in front of you in a queue then you walk straight into the space they occupied, that's probably the only context where it's really a problem.

Being inside a grocery store is scary as fuck now IMO. Last time I went, I walked around a corner and nearly bumped into someone who was coughing up a storm.
Christ thats like something out of a movie

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I went to my local HEB (it's a Texas-based chain that's also available in Northern Mexico).

We needed supplies, so I decided to go. They are not allowing kids to enter the store, and they are only allowing one person per shopping cart. They give you hand sanitizer at the entrance (and they algo put sanitizer on the shopping cart handle). The mini food court was closed, the deli counter was closed, the meat counter was closed, and even the bakery counter was closed. Some shelves were completely empty (I couldn't get eggs).

There are X on the floor on the registers every 1.5 meters and everyone needs to stay there. No bag boys either.

All the employees and customers looked worried and miserable. It was an eerie experience.

How has been your experience doing grocery shopping? I wanted to stay home, but we needed supplies.

It's been like this for ten days in France. What struck me the most is the silence.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Well if you are wearing a mask people might think yiu are sick, it's been said numerous times wearing a mask if you aren't sick is not helpful
This is the line of thinking that helps spread the infection so rapidly. A large percent of infected are asymptomatic (up to 50%, in my country with hilariosuly low number of tests the number is 18% which more than large enough too), you can be "sick" and not know it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You joke but my Costco run was the most pleasant time I've been at a Costco ever. Waited maybe 5 minutes outside, then go in and there's just the right number of people. People are keeping their distances. Some things were still sold out but not a big deal. Also no wait at the registers and sanitized carts. Not too shabby. In Socal

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I took this photo at 21:24 on Thursday night to show to my family the lack of social distancing in my local supermarket in Sweden.

I'm originally from the UK and my Mother had been telling me about all the changes there, which is basically what everyone else here is describing. In Sweden (and in the one other supermarket I have been to) all of this is being ignored. Social distancing simply isn't a thing. Apart from the plastic shields in front of the cashiers literally everything else is business as normal.

Oct 27, 2017
Right now in California, it's a lot calmer than it was last week but everyone does keep a respectable distance but it was full doomsday prepper hell for the first few days (see imgur gallery link below). If you aren't missing any important groceries, I would advise waiting a few days after the initial rush for it to settle down.

I've only been in lockdown since last Wednesday, but it feels like a lifetime. Since that time I've ordered groceries for pick up twice (the first time I've ever done this). The only thing I have noticed is that they have to replace a lot of things with other variants (a minor issue), and the expected items like hand sanitizer and thermometers have been out of stock. I haven't been inside a store in almost two weeks and that feels crazy. The last time I was I don't remember there being any issues with milk and eggs, but considering how fast things have escalated it could be very different now.

I'm hoping that we're nearing the point where the initial hysteria dies down and people settle in and buy supplies at a more reasonable load.

On the first day that California announced the shelter-in-place order (March 16), I happened to go inside a Walmart just to buy conditioner since I forgot it the last time I went shopping a week earlier. I don't think I even heard about the announcement yet so I expected it to be a slow Tuesday afternoon and I could quickly hop in and out.

ALL THE COW MILK, BREAD, EGGS, AND OF FUCKING COURSE THE TOILET PAPER was completely gone. Cashier lines stretched from the front of the store all the way to the back and remember, this is a Walmart. That's like a hundred carts in line. My dad had moved over the weekend so his fridge was empty and he went out to get some groceries a few hours after me and these were the pictures that he took:

https://imgur.com/a/KYjcRvT

People basically licked the shelves clean within 6 hours of the shelter-in-place, even down to the last piece of brocoli. But now a couple weeks later, you can basically get everything you need at any store you go to. Certain items like toilet paper (why ffs) do have an employee stationed at it to keep anyone from taking more than one. I think the problem in the first few days is that you have a handful of assholes who fill their cart with anything that might be in demand and then it takes a week or so before the stores get resupplied and for the panic to die down. If you or anyone in your household has a compromised immune system or something, then it might not be a bad idea to keep ordering delivery but the stores should start having regular items back in stock soon in your area, hopefully.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had to go once to get certain supplies since the lockdown (200k city from Spain), as we were well stocked at home when it started and can't complain much of the experience. People were respectful, the store keeped a quite a low limit on how many clients would be allowed at once, and they forced anyone who entered to wear some extra gloves they had next to the door. Sure, some items couldn't be found but it wasn't anything apocalyptical or close to what friends were showing me the first few days of the lockdown, with everything empty due the initial hysteria.

I took this photo at 21:24 on Thursday night to show to my family the lack of social distancing in my local supermarket in Sweden.

I'm originally from the UK and my Mother had been telling me about all the changes there, which is basically what everyone else here is describing. In Sweden (and in the one other supermarket I have been to) all of this is being ignored. Social distancing simply isn't a thing. Apart from the plastic shields in front of the cashiers literally everything else is business as normal.

As comparison, what I'm seeing right now from the window next to my PC:

fdPT0Ll.png

All that marked people is waiting their turn to enter a meat store hidden behind the building, where they only allow a few clients at the same time. I imagine there's another person standing behind the truck. The green one may seem relatively close, but he's actually sitting in a bank while waiting so he still keeps a good distance in diagonal. There's been a similar line each day since before they open each morning until late afternoon.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
NY here..

I always go to the supermarket around 6-6:30am (don't like lines and I'm up anyway). We get the paranoid shopper in the early am. Masks, gloves etc and standing outside the store before it opens. Usually 5-6 of them and they get what the need and gtfo before anyone else wakes up. Inside the supermarket, some shelves are bare pickings. Milk, egg, water, paper products etc are noticeably empty compared to the others. Haven't been there in a few weeks, so I'm not sure if there are any prep or supply changes since then.

At our store, the floor around every register is taped off telling you where to stand. They installed plexiglass in front each register so you have a shield if someone coughs at you. There's an opening at the counter level so you can hand the cashier your items, but they still have to come around it if they have to scan big items, so *shrug*. They have taped X's on the floor telling people where to stand while in line.. and they've reduced the hours we're open to the public so they have 2 hours to clean & disinfect nightly. Add to that, they have multiple a-frame signs in all the main aisles telling people to practice social distancing. On the donation front, any PPE (gloves, masks etc) that come to the store is separated and donated to local hospitals.)

Heard the local Home Depot was limiting how many people could come in the store by having an associate keep everyone outside and making sure they were 6 feet apart. I don't know what the target amount is, but they wouldn't let someone else in the building until someone else left. Same story at the local BJ's and Costco, but I haven't been to either personally.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
(France)
You're guaranteed at least two persons yelling at each other at your local supermarket.
and we've got at least two more weeks of this shit

(Lyon here)

I went to our local Lidl and it was pretty calm. Felt like any normal afternoon in terms of people. Plenty of groceries, but I didn't think to see if there was toilet paper.

They did have plexiglass dividers at the registers as well as yellow tape on the ground so people could keep their distance waiting in line.

saelz8

Dec 25, 2017
After two weeks of holding out, I went to the HEB on Parmer and Mopac yesterday at about 4PM. They had A LOT of bread, water and meat, but toilet paper was cleared out. In the store, I was literally actively avoiding people, because no one else was.

As I left, a line had formed outside. EVERYONE was close to each other, and definitely not 6 feet apart. I don't understand why people still don't understand. There were also people with all of their kids (who were definitely old enough to stay home by themselves), as if nothing has changed. You don't need your whole family going to the store with you. You're just multiplying your risk. People need to create lists of things they need, then designate one person to make runs.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Harlem, NY and it's been pretty cordial and stable actually. I went on Tuesday I think (days of the week mean shit now haha) and people were generally respectful and decent, plenty of food left, TP and rubbing alcohol still sold out though. I'd say people seem to actually be more courteous and polite with the current situation, if anything.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing's been as eerie to me as walking alone through a large, empty airport where some of the shops were literally barricaded with stools and tables and the PA system kept repeating an automated announcement that there was a level 4 alert. The long walk and moving walkway rides across the terminals felt like Black Mesa come to life.

The supermarket's just been annoying because a lot of people don't respect social distancing.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Serbia here

Nobody gives a fuck about social distancing. I've never seen this many people outside in my life. It's like they're doing it purely out of spite

Only Lidl makes people stand behind a yellow line at tills

Mad_Titan86

Banned
Nov 4, 2019
Well if you are wearing a mask people might think yiu are sick, it's been said numerous times wearing a mask if you aren't sick is not helpful
That's just not true. Any protection from droplets is better than none. I guess you think all the doctors and nurses wearing them at work wear them for fashion.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I have been going to the less popular store here Tops and avoiding the popular Wegmans. Tops has been busier than normal, no paper products and very few cleaning products. Some isles are partly empty and all self serve items are either in bags or containers per weighed. They have cart wipes at the entrance and are limiting some products but they are allowing more than 1 person and children in. Everyone I have encountered is trying to stay a good distance away from each other and the cashiers have all been friendly and seemed happy despite what is going on. They do have signs up at the registers to stay 2 cart lengths away from the next person and tape on the floor as well. I try and use the self checkout and a stylus to avoid lines and having the cashier touch my groceries.

I am in Rochester, NY and we have 166 or so confirmed cases in my area.

Last edited:

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
It has been a mixed bag. Some people don't give a fuck while others shop with gloves and don't want to be in the same aisle as other persons.
Cashiers have plexiglass in front of them and there are stripes on the ground to keep customers apart. They should chase teenagers away. They don't have places to hang so they just stay in groups in front of the shops.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
NY here..

I always go to the supermarket around 6-6:30am (don't like lines and I'm up anyway). We get the paranoid shopper in the early am. Masks, gloves etc and standing outside the store before it opens. Usually 5-6 of them and they get what the need and gtfo before anyone else wakes up. Inside the supermarket, some shelves are bare pickings. Milk, egg, water, paper products etc are noticeably empty compared to the others. Haven't been there in a few weeks, so I'm not sure if there are any prep or supply changes since then.

At our store, the floor around every register is taped off telling you where to stand. They installed plexiglass in front each register so you have a shield if someone coughs at you. There's an opening at the counter level so you can hand the cashier your items, but they still have to come around it if they have to scan big items, so *shrug*. They have taped X's on the floor telling people where to stand while in line.. and they've reduced the hours we're open to the public so they have 2 hours to clean & disinfect nightly. Add to that, they have multiple a-frame signs in all the main aisles telling people to practice social distancing. On the donation front, any PPE (gloves, masks etc) that come to the store is separated and donated to local hospitals.)

Heard the local Home Depot was limiting how many people could come in the store by having an associate keep everyone outside and making sure they were 6 feet apart. I don't know what the target amount is, but they wouldn't let someone else in the building until someone else left. Same story at the local BJ's and Costco, but I haven't been to either personally.

Maybe they are immune compromised or taking care of a elderly fmaily member and do not want to take risks? If I could find gloves and a mask I would wear them too. I am immune compromised, my lungs can't even handle a cold, Covid 19 could very easily and very likely kill me. Calling people paranoid for being safe is pretty rude.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
My wife is a manager at Aldi's and other than getting employees cleaning supplies and allow them to shop prior to store opening they haven't changed anything in their operation model. They suck for employee leave as well. Our son had a fever and we fear it was covid19 but her boss said that unless he gets tested or she gets tested she has to come to work or find coverage her shift. Thankfully he just had a 24 hour bug and Best Buy allowed me to stay home with him no questions asked.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
So that's what the X's on the floor represent. I just went shopping a couple days ago and they weren't there the week before. I had to ask the person behind me to give space because they were right up on me and the place wasn't even crowded.

It's been a mixed bag with social distancing here in stores. I try to avoid people as much as possible by letting them pass, but some people just stroll right up the center of the aisle. We REALLY need to start doing online orders for curb pickup or delivery, because shopping has been incredibly stressful.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Standing in line on the parking lot, 3 meters apart with your cart. About 20 people in line. Personnel outside letting people in one by one. Disinfecting the handles on the cart. Only 1 person per 10 square meters in the supermarkter allowed. You can only be inside for half an hour. Lines taped on the floor so you know where to stand to keep distance.

This lady, about 65, cuts the line. Just goes in front of everybody. Emloyee tells her; "Excuse me lady, you should wait in line like everyone else. Only heathcare personnel get priority in the queue." She answers "How can you tell I am not healthcare personnel? Maybe I am." I was boiling inside. Did not say anything, but I was pretty angry at that lady.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah it was pretty surreal. Our Lidl in Berlin only allows a limited amount of people per store now, everyone is required to take a shopping cart (which are disinfected every 5 minutes) so you automatically keep some distance to the next person in front of you. Floor is marked so you queue up with the 1.5 metres of required distance. Each register has a plastic wall put up around it so you can't cough directly at any employee. Cash has to be put down first. They all wear gloves and face masks and have hand sanitizer next to them all the time.

Toilet paper and pasta are still sold out a week later. Definetly the weirdest shopping experience of my lifetime. At least the employees were still trying to be friendly as usual and we made some jokes. Still you could feel the atmosphere was tense all around with many people having their face covered in some way

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I was at Costco yesterday. There were not a lot of people there. I have never seen so many package of bottled water. It was everywhere. The entire place was very strange. I was one of the few people not wearing a mask. I don't know where everyone is getting them from?

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
I went to my local HEB (it's a Texas-based chain that's also available in Northern Mexico).

We needed supplies, so I decided to go. They are not allowing kids to enter the store, and they are only allowing one person per shopping cart. They give you hand sanitizer at the entrance (and they algo put sanitizer on the shopping cart handle). The mini food court was closed, the deli counter was closed, the meat counter was closed, and even the bakery counter was closed. Some shelves were completely empty (I couldn't get eggs).

Interesting and relevant, OP: How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Was at Wegmans last Saturday and the place was stocked. Never seen food piled high like that, and they had aisles full of their own brand toilet paper and kitchen towels. It was about as busy as a regular weekday. Everything was pretty much normal, the bagging guy was wiping down the belt and the terminal between each customer and there was a line on the floor to wait behind.
Went to Aldi on Monday and it was pretty much business as usual, no tp, but they had tons of tissues. Only expensive cuts of meat or frozen meat available, but Wegmans had it all.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
To HEBs credit though, they're maybe the only grocery store in the US that saw this coming. Their response has been incredible.

www.texasmonthly.com

Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic

The grocer started communicating with its Chinese counterparts in January and was running tabletop simulations a few weeks later. (But nothing prepared it for the rush on toilet paper.)
I really like HEB.

Even though they are a foreign company here, they seem to have the same mentality and business practices as in the USA. Also, their HEB brand of items it's very good and with very reasonable prices. I try to buy HEB branded items whenever I can.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Local Costco was pretty normal except for everyone wearing masks and the toilet paper being out of stock.

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I was at Costco yesterday. There were not a lot of people there. I have never seen so many package of bottled water. It was everywhere. The entire place was very strange. I was one of the few people not wearing a mask. I don't know where everyone is getting them from?

It depends on where you are, I suppose. Here in California a lot of us bought some when the wildfires were dumping ash all over the state a while back.