• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I simply don't care for those features, that's all it is. I don't use folders on my PS4 either and I'm all digital there.

Usually once I finish a game I rarely go back to it.

In regard to the switch specifically, devs are already cutting features from games such as video recording and thats even when the games themselves arent that graphically intensive or impressive. I think some people may laugh at the resource cost of themes etc, I am not an expert either, but I think they are pushing the weak hardware to its limits already - adding more features might not come at the cost of making the OS less 'snappy' but at making the whole system perform even worse - where it's not exactly even great to begin with.
And all you just said are hypotheticals, pure conjecture based on nothing, really. Selecting a theme, setting folders and/or using Netflix are going to make the system less "snappy"? Why? The eShop already uses them to some extent, folders shouldn't be resource-consuming at all and YouTube and Hulu are already there, so video apps don't make the Switch any less snappy. As a consumer, I want all of this because it would improve my experience.
Ok so you are done with a game when you finish them, how would folders being added detract from your experience? Just refrain from using them, problem solved! Man, that was easy.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Also, music. There's no eshop, main menu theme, etc etc.
As for Netflix, I find it so odd they're releasing Stranger Things 3 on Switch but not the app to watch it....

Streetpass was bascially the forerunner of Pokemon Go.

And the biggest one: 3DS has free online.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  • 2 screens- I miss it a bit, but my Switch is mostly docked.
  • 3D- Pass
  • DS BC- That would be fun but there are other systems I would want first
  • Folders- Agreed, but at least the game menu is somewhat sortable
  • Themes- Would like it, but not dying for it.
  • Mic- Pass
  • Cameras- Pass
  • Built-in stylus- Would be nice
  • Streetpass- Love it but man that thing was a battery hog
  • Swapdoodle- Never used mine
  • ANALOG STICK THAT DOESN'T DRIFT- Here here!
  • Netflix- Pass but I know I am in the minority

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
And all you just said are hypotheticals, pure conjecture based on nothing, really. Selecting a theme, setting folders and/or using Netflix are going to make the system less "snappy"? Why? The eShop already uses them to some extent, folders shouldn't be resource-consuming at all and YouTube and Hulu are already there, so video apps don't make the Switch any less snappy. As a consumer, I want all of this because it would improve my experience.
Ok so you are done with a game when you finish them, how would folders being added detract from your experience? Just refrain from using them, problem solved! Man, that was easy.

The eShop and video apps aren't always running in the background, the OS is always there. Like I said I'm not an expert but it will take up some resource that can be used elsewhere. I don't think folders would tax the system, I'd be happy for them to be available to others, they just aren't my preference and my original reply was only speaking for myself :)

I'm not worried about making the system less snappy, but I am more concerned with software performing even more poorly than it does now.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Agree OP. But most of all is the library with DS BC, plus the form factor.

I think even with my Switch homebrewed I would still take the n3DS XL on trips. So many fantastic games.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm not worried about making the system less snappy, but I am more concerned with software performing even more poorly than it does now.
But not one of those 3 features would make software perform any worse. Not folders, not themes (I'm referring a simple thing here like a wallpaper or something, not huge animated backgrounds with sounds and all that crap) and certainly not Netflix because, as you said, it won't be running on the background as it does on PS4. And you won't see me complaining about media apps and games not running simultaneously on the Switch for that very same reason, that'd most likely end up lowering performance.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
But not one of those 3 features would make software perform any worse. Not folders, not themes (I'm referring a simple thing here like a wallpaper or something, not huge animated backgrounds with sounds and all that crap) and certainly not Netflix because, as you said, it won't be running on the background as it does on PS4. And you won't see me complaining about media apps and games not running simultaneously on the Switch for that very same reason, that'd most likely end up lowering performance.

Fair enough, I think a simple wallpaper would be nice, when I think themes I think the whole kit (sounds/visual effects/wallpapers).

We must have got our wires crossed about media apps, I would certainly use netflix and plex on my switch if they were available, and have never argued that they would have an affect on system performance. Same with folders, I only said I didn't want them as a personal preference which I have explained in all of my replies to you.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fair enough, I think a simple wallpaper would be nice, when I think themes I think the whole kit (sounds/visual effects/wallpapers).

We must have got our wires crossed about media apps, I would certainly use netflix and plex on my switch if they were available, and have never argued that they would have an affect on system performance. Same with folders, I only said I didn't want them as a personal preference which I have explained in all of my replies to you.
Ok, glad to see we mostly seem to be on the same page then. As I said, it just baffles me that some people tend to go "Less features is actually good" and worse of all, it's a sentiment that pops up very often and I never understand why.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Nah, I think a lot of that stuff you listed was gimmicky and actually detracted from my 3DS gaming experience.

I hated playing on that hardware.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, glad to see we mostly seem to be on the same page then. As I said, it just baffles me that some people tend to go "Less features is actually good" and worse of all, it's a sentiment that pops up very often and I never understand why.

Fast is actually good is my guess. There's not much I want from Switch outside folders. The problem with the 3DS is there's a lot of apparent features, but it's all very slow and archaic. Like the 10 streetpass limit should have been 100.

For a lot of people it's famime/feast with streetpasses. You either get none or you hit a bunch of nerds maybe at a convention or gaming expo and you can't keep up and have to keep clearing out the street passes.

OP
OP
WarpSpeedMolasses
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - outside of games (which is obviously most important), Nintendo has come close to failing in pretty much every other category this generation. System features, online services, etc, have all been completely ignored.

Yeah very true. They fiercely knocked it outta the park with the library on Switch, which really is amazing. (Especially after WiiU). But kinda dropped the ball with everything else.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thank god there's now only 1 screen.
I liked my time with the DS/3DS but I never want that kind of design ever again.

I terribly miss the Activity Log and Streetpass though. They were both fantastic and sorely missed.

Oct 28, 2017
One day I will be really nostalgic about the Switch OS and certain early Switch games because 2017 was the best year for gaming in my life because of the Switch.

But if the Switch 2 doesn't have more features it might not do well as a console.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Man, I wish the Switch had StreetPass. So many giant gold coins and power-ups from SM3D Land, ghosts to race in Mario Kart 7, showcase homes in AC and items for so many games. I even enjoyed the little StreetPass mini games and puzzle panels.

The 3DS also had a great activity log. I always thought it would have been cool to be able to publish it to an online profile and it would update with every subsequent Nintendo system. That way when I review a game someone could see how many hours I put into it.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I mostly miss having folders, because it's a pain to keep track of everything in my library without them. On 3DS and Wii U, I typically kept track of games by having folders for "big budget" titles (I'd call them either full games or retail games), indie titles, Virtual Console games (when VC still existed) and apps like Netflix. Being able to do that again on Switch would be an absolute godsend for me, so I really hope that an incoming OS update adds folders to the Switch.

I would also like to have Netflix on my Switch though. That would be very nice.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
  • 2 screens - You wish the switch had 2 screens?
  • 3D - If you want the switch screen to have half the resolution, sure
  • DS BC - I'd rather the switch not have an extra slot just for BC
  • Folders - Sure
  • Themes - Sure
  • Mic - I guess
  • Cameras - When did anyone use the cameras after the first day??
  • Built-in stylus - Not needed
  • Streetpass - It was cool for the time, but was used less and less and by the end
  • Swapdoodle - Did anyone ever use this?
  • ANALOG STICK THAT DOESN'T DRIFT - Personal opinion but never had this
  • Netflix - Okay I'll agree here, I'd use Netflix on switch if it was there
I wish switch had folders and Themes and Netflix, the others IMO are really stretching.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Analog stick drift is too true for Switch :(

Activity Log still amazing

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
2 screens: Very glad it's gone, it just makes the console clumsier and lowers resolution
  • 3D: use it like 2 minutes in every game and it's a useless gimmick after it
  • DS BC: conceded, but how would you add ds line BC without making it a very clumsy experience natively?
  • Folders: conceded
  • Themes: conceded
  • Mic: good riddance, i hate mic minigames
  • Cameras: useless
  • Built-in stylus: capacitive is way better because your finger works great
  • Streetpass: gimmick that favored living in a big city and didn't serve much purpose
  • Swapdoodle: do you mean a way to message friends? Conceded then
  • ANALOG STICK THAT DOESN'T DRIFT: WE FINALLY GOT RID OF THAY CIRCLE PAD, thank god
  • Netflix: never gonna understand why would someome want to use switch to watch netflix but ok
I very much prefer Switch UI, fuck 10 second loading time for settings and sometimes 30 seconds for games

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's kind of insane that the 3DS has more features and just flat out does some stuff better than the Switch. Nintendo always with their one step forward, two steps back.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Other than themes and the activity log there's literally nothing I like better about 3DS, or god forbid, Wii U. Bunch of useless shit that does nothing. (I don't care about folders but I'll concede people want them)

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
GOAT activity log. What's my average playtime for Mario Tennis Aces per session? I don't know and it's killing me inside.

It also has a music app where you can convert tracks to 8 Bit chip tunes. It sounds awful, but in a hilarious way.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I for one love the simplicity of the Switch UI. It's so responsible, organised, and nice to use.
The Wii U OS took forever to jump back into. So much loading. 3DS is a bit bloated, lacking the actual important features such as a decent friends list and proper download management, and if you want to actually do anything (settings or buying a game for example) it takes way too much time.

However, I agree that folders are a necessity.

Themes? I can understand why people might want it, but personally I don't care. I spend probably less than 1% of time in the UI when using my Switch. Light and dark mode is sufficient.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
I'm the biggest Nintendo fan I know, and I'll say that I think that the feature set of the Switch is straight up pathetic.

It's like they launched it with a plan to update it as time went on, but once the console became successful they were like "eh, why bother?"

The first party games on Switch are great. A lot of indies and third parties are great. Everything else? Not so much.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I mean

• 2 screens
  • 3D
  • DS BC
  • Folders
  • Themes
  • Mic
  • Cameras
  • Built-in stylus
  • Streetpass
  • Swapdoodle
  • ANALOG STICK THAT DOESN'T DRIFT
  • Netflix
I truly love the Switch. It has completely amped up my gaming habits. But, I really hope some of these issues will be addressed with the redesign and a not-so-far off firmware.

That said, I think 3DS/DS will continue to be a staple in my gaming rotation.

Don't forget Badge Arcade!

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Just buy and play your games. You will get the fluff when Switch has hit its stride.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
There are people that will bat for lack of folders and themes, and it blows my mind.

Also fuck drifting sticks.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
3DS didn't have those features from the start. themes and folders will come to Switch but they have always been slow with those things.
i prefer Switch's minimal approach to 3DS, it made the system much faster and more fun to use.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I also recently used my 3DS after putting it away for a few years and I forgot how much of a beauty the New 3DS XL is. The D-Pad and bottons feel real nice.
Retro games look gorgeous on that screen.

I kind of miss the more niche titles that were on the DS and 3DS. It seems that the Switch basically gets portable console ports which is cool, but I want the hidden gems as well.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
My favorite: It has easy to read text.

D-u-_vMXoAUr1yd

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Using mobile hardware without having mobile features.

It's sad how Nintendi canabilized the mobile featureset.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Who in their right mind is watching Netflix on the terrible resolution 3DS screens? Furthermore that's not Nintendo, that's Netflix's decision to put an app on the Switch.

The only point on the list I'll concede is folders, which are sorely needed. Everything else is unnecessary fluff.
I binged the entirety of Naoki Urasawa's Monster when it was on Netflix in three nights. Worth it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lack of themes, more apps like Netflix, folders, eShop music, VIRTUAL CONSOLE, integrated mic, BLUETOOTH, and of course, an online infrastructure that isn't complete fucking dog shit. And, yes, I agree the Pro Controller should have an integrated mic, but the console itself should as well for portable mode.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I read the OP thinking this was about comparable breadth of features, not a list of must-haves... seems like everyone is reading this as OP wants 3D and Street Pass on Switch. I think it's less about what the actual features are and more the consideration that's been given to developing unique feature sets on one device versus another.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
A lot of those features were never used by me but we should be more exigent and Nintendo should provide them from the very beginning. If not all, at least the most demanded.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean

• 2 screens
  • 3D
  • DS BC
  • Folders
  • Themes
  • Mic
  • Cameras
  • Built-in stylus
  • Streetpass
  • Swapdoodle
  • ANALOG STICK THAT DOESN'T DRIFT
  • Netflix
I truly love the Switch. It has completely amped up my gaming habits. But, I really hope some of these issues will be addressed with the redesign and a not-so-far off firmware.

That said, I think 3DS/DS will continue to be a staple in my gaming rotation.
I think folders is the only thing I'd really be interested in from that list. I certainly don't think a lack of 3D/2 screens/camera/stylus/mic is an 'issue' in a console where the hardware and games haven't been built with those in mind from the start. Even then, plenty of 3DS games largely ignored them too.

What I would like is a notes app. With many long RPGs/dungeon crawls/Metroidvanias etc I like to keep notes on side quests, things to return to, things to try, and at the moment that's something I do on my phone. It would be nice to have it accessible from the home screen.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess folders would be nice but that's about it along with VC. Everything else on that list is useless fluff. Two screens was a terrible thing (See the Wii U) it worked on the DS and 3DS but good luck making it work on the Switch, without ballooning the price point to a ridiculous degree. same goes with 3D which was was a headache inducing gimmick that drained battery faster than anything and had minimal effect on gameplay. I'm glad that Nintendo moved away from this BS.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
  • 2 screens: useless
  • 3D: useless x1000
  • DS BC: nice
  • Folders: nice
  • Themes: nice
  • Mic: really nice
  • Cameras: useless
  • Built-in stylus: useless
  • Streetpass: meh
  • Swapdoodle: idk what is
  • ANALOG STICK THAT DOESN'T DRIFT: ...
  • Netflix: i mean, we can watch Netflix everywhere...

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's not so much the hardware features but the UI.

On the 3DS it has so much more personality. The little touches, like new downloads being presents that you open, them spinning if you blow on the mic. And the music.

The Wii, 3DS, and Wii U had such great UIs in terms of that quirky Nintendo-esque feel that the Switch doesn't really seem to embrace. Miiverse was so good and Switch Online is so disappointing in comparison, a step down that you have to pay for.