• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Then I pull a double shot from a 54mm portafilter and aim for 30 seconds to get that perfect ratio. I didn't know what I was really getting myself into, but I was just fine with the Nespresso Vertuo Pods. Getting fresh coffee beans from a roaster here in the Pacific Northwest and grinding them is a game changer. Coffee just taste so much better! My current entry-level setup:

0lBZk82.jpg

What sort of coffee ritual do y'all got? Also, post your coffee setups.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So uh... Am I doing coffee wrong?

Should I be upgrading from my simple Mr. Coffee that consists solely of a Reservoir, Filter, and On-Switch?

Honestly seeing Coffee Enthusiast stuff makes me feel... Inadequate.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have the same machine.

Some cheapo 20 dollar scale though.

Sep 7, 2020
If I was at someone's house and I asked to make coffee and found this in the kitchen I would probably leave immediately

Nespresso > this monstrosity

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017

Should I be upgrading from my simple Mr. Coffee that consists solely of a Reservoir, Filter, and On-Switch?

Are you happy with your coffee?

To answer the OP, 1Zpresso JX grinder, a pretty simple clever dripper recipe, and then add a bit of milk and cocoa powder.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Give it a couple of years and you are going to get sick and tired of cleaning that espresso machine every day and go back to drinking drip coffee. Mark my words 😝 .

My set up is capresso grinder, bonavita connoisseur coffee maker, and stumptown holler mountain beans.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly seeing Coffee Enthusiast stuff makes me feel... Inadequate.

If you're getting by just fine with your setup and you don't really have a specific taste in coffee, then there's no need to. If you fall down this rabbit hole it's going to cost you a lot depending on what you want to do.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I just scoop in an aeropress. I make an attempt at getting the ratios right but my heart isn't in it most of the time.

Always iced mocha. I live in a warm climate.

DEp9kNo.png

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

All of my possessions are Premium-grade shit that weigh in at prices I'm nervous to say online - Except for my coffee machine. The canteen I put my coffee in to drink it from for the next six hours without it getting cold costs more than it.

Do you see the missing link in the pattern here?

BTW what's the favorite beans/grounds of others here? Personally I've taken a liking to Papa Nicholas lately.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Same OP. I subscribe to Trade coffee to get fresh beans every 10 days. Our setup is extremely similar. I'm considering moving to a bottomless portafilter, though that may just be a meme and would probably just show that my tamping is for shit

signal

Oct 28, 2017
An eyeballed 35ish g scoop into a french press half filled. Could get a scale but I'm fairly positive the + / - single digit grams would be literally indistinguishable from one cup to another.

Oct 25, 2017
Come to think of it, I really, really need to buy a new one. I had a Keurig 2.0 for more than 3 years and its condition was terrible whenever It's brewing on coffee, and both aroma and taste were waned because of it. :(

Your coffee beans grinder looks nice, though.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I have an electric kettle, scale, conical burr grinder, and a stainless steel kalita wave. I keep it pretty simple and use local beans. Every morning I have delicious coffee.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Then I pull a double shot from a 54mm portafilter and aim for 30 seconds to get that perfect ratio. I didn't know what I was really getting myself into, but I was just fine with the Nespresso Vertuo Pods. Getting fresh coffee beans from a roaster here in the Pacific Northwest and grinding them is a game changer. Coffee just taste so much better! My current entry-level setup:

0lBZk82.jpg

Welcome to the TRUE world of coffee.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'm poor enough that I'm still using a hand grinder for my beans, so looking at stuff like this mostly just makes me sad.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Same OP. I subscribe to Trade coffee to get fresh beans every 10 days. Our setup is extremely similar. I'm considering moving to a bottomless portafilter, though that may just be a meme and would probably just show that my tamping is for shit

I ordered one of these for tamping:

www.cremacoffeepro.com

53.3mm Tamper & Distributor Combo

A Consistent Tamp. Every Time. This convenient dual-purpose distribution/tamping tool allows you to evenly distribute your coffee grounds, and then tamp your grounds with consistent pressure, every time. Our 53.3mm double-sided tamper & distributor combo is precision fit specifically for the...

Oct 25, 2017

0lBZk82.jpg

Very similar ritual and setup to me to be honest. but I tend to do 20g because I'm a dumbass. Lately I've kinda started eyeballing instead of bothering to weight it because I usually seem to get close.

Why does nespresso capsules coffee taste like such shit btw? I feel like every time I have that crap it's as sour as can be.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
All of my possessions are Premium-grade shit that weigh in at prices I'm nervous to say online - Except for my coffee machine. The canteen I put my coffee in to drink it from for the next six hours without it getting cold costs more than it.

Do you see the missing link in the pattern here?

BTW what's the favorite beans/grounds of others here? Personally I've taken a liking to Papa Nicholas lately.

Get a technivorm mochamaster. Relatively expensive, very good, and simple. Get a barvista encore grinder, it's also simple, very good, and relatively expensive.

Then buy locally roasted beans, so they are very fresh.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Envy is an unhealthy mental factor, enjoy your hand ground beans!
I enjoy 'em well enough, but my arm sure doesn't!

Eventually I'll finish slowly acquiring a half-decent set of tools, though. I long for the day where all I really have to worry about is making sure I have quality beans to use.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Very similar ritual and setup to me to be honest. but I tend to do 20g because I'm a dumbass. Lately I've kinda started eyeballing instead of bothering to weight it because I usually seem to get close.

Why does nespresso capsules coffee taste like such shit btw? I feel like every time I have that crap it's as sour as can be.

Those pre-ground capsules have been sitting in a warehouse for weeks, probably.

Op what's the tablet for?

Google Hub Max is used as my central hub for music, checking the front yard camera / answering the door bell.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Eventually I'll finish slowly acquiring a half-decent set of tools, though. I long for the day where all I really have to worry about is making sure I have quality beans to use.
I used to care slightly more but I have coffee with milk when I'm at home so I figure I'm eliminating a lot of the potentially detectable benefits and so I can just serf out with a few things. True galaxy brain move.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I do it wrong and I like it.

Buncha beans ground too fine in electric conical, put it in a moka pot with preboiled water, put on high on the stove till it streams then super low till it bubbles. Done.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got gifted a Delonghi Magnifica S by my fiancée 2 christmasses ago. Best gift ever, especially after drinking instant coffee and docle gusto tabs all my life.
It got even better since we now have a great little coffee beans shop not far from us with lots of choice.

Oct 25, 2017

You should try the second hand market. I got my grinder for like a 1/4 of what it was worth new by buying a used one. Works just fine. I feel like espresso machines are also a lot cheaper used/refurb than new. You can save a lot of money if you're handy by fixing stuff

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Going to pick up a couple of bags of these beans from Olympia Coffee this weekend! Probably the best roasters in the PNW.

web4_1024x1024.jpg

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I have been thinking about getting into the superautomatic game for s good while now.

Capsules are convenient but I don't like paying a shit ton to awful companies for a few grams of coffee when you can buy kilos of the good stuff from the source... Also don't really think capsules are good for the environment.

Give it a couple of years and you are going to get sick and tired of cleaning that espresso machine every day and go back to drinking drip coffee. Mark my words 😝 .

My set up is capresso grinder, bonavita connoisseur coffee maker, and stumptown holler mountain beans.

What do you mean? How hard is it to clean?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Which roaster OP?

I am in love with Back Pedal Brew from Middle Fork here in Seattle and do a pour over once every other day or so. It's easy to get fresh here in the grocery stores/whole foods and it's the clean simple medium-light roast that always satisfies.

I use a scheduled drip Breville Precision the rest of the time.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just got myself the Brewsley 15 and a separate grinder cause it was 800$ cheaper.

I'm still trying to figure it out. I feel I'm not getting quite the amount of coffee I should get but it might be that I ended up grinding too fine.

I do agree about the cleaning. I clean the french press after every use (dismantle, clean). The Espresso machine, I can just clean the portafilter and basket. But there is a water tank and water going into the machine which itself likely gets dirty over time. My water stains surfaces so it will probably accumulate inside.

Still, tastes great.

Edit: I don't measure, it came with a spoon for one cup. As for tampering, I don't, it just causes less water to go through. I just make sure it's flat, I don't push. Basically I don't get what this is about.

Last edited:

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Have the same machine, pretty nice. Havent used it much lately because I dont really have a place for it.

Lately been just filling up my hand grinder with beans and doing a pour over, ceramic pour over into a ceramic mug to help prevent any additonal flavors. Every morning for the past three or so years. Is a nice chance to relax before the day 'starts,' even though I start the grind with a grind. Let the cup sit for a few minutes while I finish getting ready and then head out the door.

For coffee, I have a few go tos that are easy and cheap, with the main being the Jose Mayan Blend from Costco, when they have it. Usually get a fancy bag once a month or so and will have it in the morning if I really like it, otherwise it is relagated to second cup on weekends.

System isn't perfect or fancy, but is a ritual I have come to appreciate most mornings.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Which roaster OP?

I am in love with Back Pedal Brew from Middle Fork here in Seattle and do a pour over once every other day or so. It's easy to get fresh here in the grocery stores/whole foods and it's the clean simple medium-light roast. Always a super treat.

I use a scheduled drip Breville Precision the rest of the time.

The beans I'm using right now are from Coava (Portland, OR roaster). Getting Olympia Coffee beans this weekend.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I uh... Put a scoop of pre ground coffee grounds in my single cup coffee maker and uh... Make coffee.