• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
watched predestination and I dont really understand how the last few minutes were supposed to shock anyone considering they gave it away pretty blatantly??

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie, although you can certainly feel the budget at times.

Good to see Xander (Nicholas Brendon) in something. It makes sense that they'd cast him in this, considering he has a big advantage over most actors....

He has an identical twin. Though I am not 100% certain they used his brother in this film, he isn't credited.
THIS WAS THE BIGGEST TWIST OF ALL.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just thought of a good one-room sci-fi:
MV5BNjQwMjAwNTYtZDJjOS00NmUzLWFlOTktYmFhODQzOWIwYjQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM5OTMwNg@@._V1_.jpg

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched coherence last night. Man it was so good. It was trippy that

only the glasses girl and blond girl were the original people from that dimension. Everyone else from the very beginning was from different dimensions. Remember laurie asking mike who he was in the the 'roswell' show that she loved and he was the main guy in his dimension, not so in hers. and he asking how her yoga was going when she said she wasnt into yoga. Shits trippy.

really good though. i need some more recommendations of mind fuck movies

We saw:
Coherence
Color out of space

recently. Most of the others mentioned here i've seen.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched coherence last night. Man it was so good. It was trippy that

only the glasses girl and blond girl were the original people from that dimension. Everyone else from the very beginning was from different dimensions. Remember laurie asking mike who he was in the the 'roswell' show that she loved and he was the main guy in his dimension, not so in hers. and he asking how her yoga was going when she said she wasnt into yoga. Shits trippy.

really good though. i need some more recommendations of mind fuck movies

We saw:
Coherence
Color out of space

recently. Most of the others mentioned here i've seen.
IIRC in relation to your points I remember liking how
the characters kind of just brushed past the inconsistencies. Because when you're at a party and making casual conversation that's what you would do.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Good recommendations in this thread. I'll watch Circle, Time Lapse, Infinity Chamber, and The Discovery.

I already saw The Invitation but it wasn't that great.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Loved Coherence, was such an unexpected experience. After watching this, I was on a search for "low budget" sci fi movies.. saw quite some crap but another gem that I found was I Origin. It's a different type of movie than coherence but the concept was really cool/thought-worthy and it has Brit Marling 👍

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Loved Coherence, was such an unexpected experience. After watching this, I was on a search for "low budget" sci fi movies.. saw quite some crap but another gem that I found was I Origin. It's a different type of movie than coherence but the concept was really cool/thought-worthy and it has Brit Marling 👍
Duuuuuuude!!!

I Origins is legit!

try Another Earth - also has Brit Marlin in it.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Just watched one of the recommended movies here, Infinity Chamber: Wow, what a banger. Although the ADR in the coffee shop scenes killed my ears.

Also saw Time Lapse. It was different and engaging but kind of shit the bed at the end.

I'll check out Dark next. I watched the first episode a couple of months ago but it didn't grab me for some reason.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
One of my favorite line reads ever towards the end in a scene with the group arguing. Still makes me laugh when i think about it.
slept with your wife in every one of them

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
True story, this was the first movie I watched back in the day streaming to my brand spanking new (then) Wii U.

Anyway, the movie really blew my mind. Especially since I was smoking entirely too much weed back in those days. It shows that sci-fi is all about the story, not the budget, not the effects.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't like it - the sci-fi was too poorly explained, the acting was really amateur, and it was just a bore visually. If you're looking for great indie sci-fi, start with something like Benson and Moorhead films.

I think the one scene that really exhibits how poor the script is, is near the beginning when the main character just randomly exposition dumps the Dyatlov Pass incident on everyone, completely inorganically.

Last edited:

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
I think Coherence is near the best of the bunch, so it's mostly downhill from there. Here are some good ones that *roughly* fit the formula and haven't already been mentioned here:
Enemy was one of the few films I didn't get the first time through. I mean I thought I got was going on and then that ending...

Cube was one of my favorite low budget sci films as a kid.

Agraavan

Dec 20, 2019
I absolutely love this kind of low budget high concept scyfi movies. To add (and or repeat) some great examples here, some movies that made it with different levels of success:

- Triangle (don't get fooled by the awful poster, this is not a slasher movie and is quite awesome)

- Timecrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) (Again, don't get fooled by the uninspired title, this movie is prime(r) example of mindfuckery.

- Time Trap (This get pretty corny and have some obvious flaws toward the end, but the concept and the food for though is top notch)

- Radius (Probably the worst of the bunch and the odd man out, but pretty interesting premise)

- Time Lapse (Another poster child of the low budget hi concept scyfi with some interesting development)

- The One I Love (Not as good as Coherence, but goes to some of the same places)

Last edited:

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Great timing here...just watched coherence on Monday night. It was good, not great...maybe I was too tired, but by the end the plot was getting so twisted up I kind of lost track of what was going on.

Other ones mentioned:
Dark - Great tv, one of the better shows I've seen in a while in any genre, hugely recommended!
Color out of Space - Amazing mind trip of a movie, one of the best cosmic horror movies I've ever seen, period. Up there with The Thing and Event Horizon. Nic Cage is phenomenal.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love this kind of low budget high concept scyfi movies. To add (and or repeat) some great examples here, some movies that made it with different levels of success:

- Triangle (don't get fooled by the awful poster, this is not a slasher movie and is quite awesome)

- Timecrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) (Again, don't get fooled by the uninspired title, this movie is prime(r) example of mindfuckery.

- Time Trap (This get pretty corny and have some obvious flaws toward the end, but the concept and the food for though is top notch)

- Radius (Probably the worst of the bunch and the odd man out, but pretty interesting premise)

- Time Lapse (Another poster child of the low budget hi concept scyfi with some interesting development)

+1 for Timetrap. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that one. I'll have to check out the others you mentioned. Love these kind of films as well!

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
If you like mindfucks i just wanted to say that classic The Twilight Zone and both series of The Outer Limits are on Hulu.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That flick The Endless on Netflix has similar vibes. Constrained location, small unknown cast, twisty plot, a tinge of cosmic horror.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I kind of hate when movies do things like this. I haven't seen this particular film yet but it reminds me of every praised film; possession (1982 love), melancholia (havn't seen) and The art of Self-defense(2019 fav). I still love the movies but that whole let us show something else that means something else is so trite, still haven't seen the Square.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017

- The One I Love (Not as good as Coherence, but goes to some of the same places)

Haven't heard of Time Trap, Radius, or The One I Love. I watched Time Lapse due to an earlier post in this thread, so I'll give these others a shot. TL was fun, despite obvious issues with the script and it mostly feeling like a basic cable TV show.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

I've watched these two like 5 times each at this point along with Coherence and love them so much. Can't recommend them enough to people into mind benders.

I started Time Trap but stopped midway through which wasn't the films fault since I liked the direction it was going 20 minutes in. Since I have the time I need to get back to it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Triangle a bunch as well when i saw it some years ago, some seriously spooky scenes especially when certain reveals hit.

Not much into the fatalism of the overall story to watch again, but its a cool joint.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Subjectively I actually liked Invitation more than Coherence (which I liked too).

I would second Endless (watch Resolution first, but not required). None of these movies are perfect, but I do find them enjoyable. The directors also did Spring which I think is their best movie.
Oh wow, I watched that a while ago and completely forgot about it. I do think that one is better than the other two in terms of how I connected with the chars.

Agraavan

Dec 20, 2019
+1 for Timetrap. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that one. I'll have to check out the others you mentioned. Love these kind of films as well!
Haven't heard of Time Trap, Radius, or The One I Love. I watched Time Lapse due to an earlier post in this thread, so I'll give these others a shot. TL was fun, despite obvious issues with the script and it mostly feeling like a basic cable TV show.
I've watched these two like 5 times each at this point along with Coherence and love them so much. Can't recommend them enough to people into mind benders.

I started Time Trap but stopped midway through which wasn't the films fault since I liked the direction it was going 20 minutes in. Since I have the time I need to get back to it.
What I can say about Timetrap is that it is a little bit more ambitious with it's scope and it lives and dies by that. I still think it's a great movie, but because of that, it comes a little bit too close to school play in some places. But I applaud them for trying and for, for all intent and purposes, achieving their goals and creating a very commendable narrative.

I liked Triangle a bunch as well when i saw it some years ago, some seriously spooky scenes especially when certain reveals hit.

Not much into the fatalism of the overall story to watch again, but its a cool joint.
Triangle is probably the one that looks and sounds more like a commercial movie of them all, one that I could see making a bunch of money as a sleeper hit among the general public.