• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I recently got a 4K HRD monitor made by LG. From what I can tell, it's a solid monitor with solid image quality. I haven't been blown away by 4K or by HDR so far. 4K looks nice, but it hasn't "wowed" me like the leap when we went from standard def to high def (480i -> 720p). And I recall squinting at times/moments from HDR, but none of the games I've checked out have blown me away via HDR implementation.

I bought the monitor for work purposes actually, so it's not a huge disappointment, but part of me wishes I was a bit more impressed.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Is one of those games FFVII Remake? Sometimes I thought it looked kinda washed out, but the highlights looked great.

Exactly.. I played 2 full runs one with HDR and other with SDR.

The colors look more accurate on SDR with better blacks but on HDR the particles just shine and it's amazing.

I still don't know if I prefer HDR or SDR for FF7 Remake.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
HDR on QLEDS is some next level shit, especially when it's tuned to take advantage of the insane peak brightness of these displays. It's the only reason why I keep one around when I already have an OLED.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The uncharted games + Lost Legacy look absolutely bonkers with HDR on, things up close aren't as jaggy anymore, the lighting improves a lot, objects and lighting in the distance are way more clear, the colors get more vibrant.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
I have a samsung nu8000 or some such, it's the 2018 mid tier model, so pretty decent. 4k and hdr look cool, no doubt but, ehh it's not a big deal. I get used to graphics pretty quick and then it's just whatever. It's literally not a game changer, as some here are saying. I've been going back and forth with the Witcher on switch and my PS4 Pro (depending on which system might have it already loaded cause load times suck)and low and behold - the game is just the same amount of fun on both. HDR does not change the game any more than 4k does, which is not at all.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I have a TV that's supposed to be 4K but it's not one of the legit expensive ones, it was a mid-tier to low-tier 4K TV. I honestly couldn't figure out if my PS4 Pro was outputting in 4K because it looked no different than 1080p to me, but turning on HDR made the TV worth it. Colors are so much deeper and richer. I'm sure I could get even better visuals out of it on a better TV, but I'm happy with what I have. Though I find it interesting some say HDR is too bright, mine is darker than if I turn it off.

Oct 29, 2017
I recently got a 4K HRD monitor made by LG. From what I can tell, it's a solid monitor with solid image quality. I haven't been blown away by 4K or by HDR so far. 4K looks nice, but it hasn't "wowed" me like the leap when we went from standard def to high def (480i -> 720p). And I recall squinting at times/moments from HDR, but none of the games I've checked out have blown me away via HDR implementation.

I bought the monitor for work purposes actually, so it's not a huge disappointment, but part of me wishes I was a bit more impressed.

UK27 series? Or maybe more higher end?

I rock the UK27850, it's just perfect, amazing monitor, USB-C, 90deg pivot, 4K, FreeSync, I would suggest it to anyone with consoles and a USB-C laptop.

Unfortunately though, monitors are far, far behind TVs in HDR. It supports it, but the peak brightness is too low for it to be amazing. Getting a monitor that has decent HDR is incredibly expensive for now.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
HDR is the biggest leap since SD -> HD resolution jump.
This as along as you properly set it up both for TV, Console/PC and in-game settings.

Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, AC: Origins and Odyssey are among the best of the best HDR games so far. Give it a try (and if you have an OLED; try crancking up in-game max HDR Brightness to 4.000 and enable Dynamic Tone Mapping) ;)

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I have not seen HDR yet, but do I really want to squint my eyes all the time? Is it not fucking annoying to have a flashlight equivalent in your eyes ?
I have never had to "squint" with HDR so it was always strange to read these type of impressions. I don't have an OLED but an older TV, Samsung KS9000 which I believe can still get brighter than an OLED set?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What max nit value would be considered good for HDR? I'm looking to maybe get the Sony X900H for next-gen since it will get HDMI 2.1.

There is no nits recommendation because nits is as important as contrast for HDR. This is why OLEDs have way lower nits than a premium LED/QLED but generally fare better in HDR, because of their contrast.

That being said the X900 should be good HDR.

Is one of those games FFVII Remake? Sometimes I thought it looked kinda washed out, but the highlights looked great.

This is because FF7 Remake HDR Implementation isn't that good

A good HDR mode shouldn't have that issue.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for the tip. LG is still the OLED king? I think Sony has a really good one as well, but it's been a while since I've researched.
I think LG used to manufacture all the oled panels, so whatever brand you bought it was still an LG inside. May not be the case any more, I bought my LG in 2017. No regrets.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I am on the same boat actually. Recently got both, a 144hz monitor and an OLED and 144hz wasn't that big of a deal except for online shooters and native 4k is a waste of resources. 1440p, 4k checkerboard or even 1080p looks good enough (guess it depends on AA solution and viewing distance). But HDR and fps from 30 to 60 make the biggest differences all around for me.

It's hard to describe until you see it (HDR).

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think LG used to manufacture all the oled panels, so whatever brand you bought it was still an LG inside. May not be the case any more, I bought my LG in 2017. No regrets.

All panels are LG yeah, but the other manufacturers have their own chips and stuff so there is some small differences.

Generally, Panasonic OLEDs are the best but they don't offer HDMI 2.1. yet. The difference between all of them are small though.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Actually it's the opposite for me.

I was very sick of horribly calibrated monitors and TVs for years. So I had already distanced myself with those. And the difference between HDR and good monitors without HDR isn't night and day for me.

And more importantly it's too inconsistent (from movies, to games etc..). So I don't even use it. But if it improves over time, it could be nice.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not to be that guy, but of course you weren't a believer until you tried it...isn't that the whole point?

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
First time seeing HDR was on my BFs tv, a cheap 4k LG. I really wasn't impressed.
Then I bought a Sony xg950, and i was like
hughjackmanfountain.gif

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not that convinced about HDR in gaming so far.
In the other thread I've already explained that while I enjoy most HDR (Dolby Vision) content on Netflix for example - implementation is just too inconsistant in gaming for me so far.

And the inconsistancy / fiddeling around / waiting for user impressions / HDR calibration is what's turning me off about HDR right now.

On my OLED I would even go as far as to say the jump from LED to OLED in SDR was more satisfying for general usage than the benefits across the board I get from HDR in gaming.

Oct 28, 2017
"Game changer" is a lofty statement. I mean it looks nice sometimes but doesn't change gameplay, and I wouldn't miss it terribly if I turned it off.

Come to think of it, it's quite literally not a game changer, since it doesn't really change the actual game in any way, right? I mean, in the same way HDR doesn't make the plot of a film better, it just puts some flair on the image.

Last edited:

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
HDR + OLED is gamechanging. GT Sport, Gears 5 and Horizon ZD are all must plays in this regard.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I have a good TV but HDR took a while to get used too. Yes, the colors look better and there's more detail, but the picture is almost always darker.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

Fron my extensive research, monitors, even the high end ÂŁ1000+ ones, don't do HDR as well as the high end OLED TVs.

I don't really understand why there is such such a dichotomy between monitors and TVs when it comes to this technology?

I have a good TV but HDR took a while to get used too. Yes, the colors look better and there's more detail, but the picture is almost always darker.
For me that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make and I'm already used to it. Ever since I first learned about Black Levels as a teen, I've always had a habit of turning down the backlight of my TV, especially at night.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I jumped from a top of the line 1080p Panasonic Plasma to a above average Vizio 4k LED TV and I was a bit underwhelmed. I would classify that jump like moving from a 5 to a 6 quality display. Everything looked crisper and cleaner, but colors were not as good. The jump to a 4k OLED was like moving from 6 to 8 quality. The display was now crisp and clean with great colors, but as soon as I saw good HDR content (Some Netflix shows, GOW 5, Sea of Thieves, AC Odyssey, etc...) I felt like I was entering a new world. At this point it's really hard to go back. The problem is that a lot of cheap TV's have crappy HDR or really bad color range so HDR just seems like blinding brightness. On a TV with amazing color range HDR is a revelation.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I had the LG C7 and was never impressed with HDR because of LG gimping game mode with an update, and of course there was no DTM. I found myself turning it off most of the time to be honest.
Now that I have a CX I'm still not impressed, it's just a bit brighter... I guess it's just not for me?
I have not experimented with many games though so I'll try just that.

I don't like it tbh. Something is wrong with me.
It's not you, I can't really see what the hype is about either in gaming. In certain movies which were pretty bright by themselves? Sure, it looks good. But that's pretty much it for me.

Last edited:

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
LG is still the only manufacturer of OLED panels in the World. With a Sony or Panasonic OLED you are still getting an LG panel, but just with a different processor

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
HDR is not a bigger deal than 4K, you guys are crazy
As a matter of the merits of specific video standards, I maybe agree.

As a matter of emphasizing well-behaved and vibrant contrast in display technology, I strongly disagree. I'm still mad that the market ditched CRTs for LCDs when the latter's tech was still an absolute dumpster fire outside of convenient form factor. The resurgence of displays with per-pixel emission and the greater emphasis on good contrast is a very, very, very good thing.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand why there is such such a dichotomy between monitors and TVs when it comes to this technology?

I don't know about monitors but for TV's is easy. HDR is dependant on nits levels and contrast, and every TV handle those differently. The more expensive the TV, the better it's nits and contrast will be, so the better HDR will look.

Some cheap TVs don't even have the specs to show HDR properly yet they have an HDR mode, hence the dissapointed when you enable it and it's dark and washed out.

Also (like well, everything in a TV IMO) HDR will be more impactful in a dark room compared to a bright room.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
I have a TV that's supposed to be 4K but it's not one of the legit expensive ones, it was a mid-tier to low-tier 4K TV. I honestly couldn't figure out if my PS4 Pro was outputting in 4K because it looked no different than 1080p

There is a massive difference between a true 4k image and 1080p. I dont have a top of the range OLED or QLED but 4K HDR looks really good on my Samsung, the difference was pronounced as soon as I hooked up my X. Are you sure your tv is collaborated correctly and set for 4k output on the pro?

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I got a Q950R, and just haven't at all been impressed with HDR. It's slightly better in some ways. But I actually prefer my less bright OLED even with HDR disabled. It just looks nicer.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at 4k HDR TV's compared to my 1080p 6+ year old Sony 55" - do they really look so much better specifically because of HDR? Or Is it just the fact that it's just a nice OLED 4k TV with a fantastic contrast ratio of a nice OLED panel?

Have you A/B'd content with HDR on and OFF?

I'm just skeptical about how much of that amazing picture I would put down specifically to the HDR feature. Certainly with my friends Pana (honestly can't remember if it was OLED), he had HDR on and OFF for me, and I didn't really notice a difference. Both looked way better than my TV!

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
I got a Q950R, and just haven't at all been impressed with HDR. It's slightly better in some ways. But I actually prefer my less bright OLED even with HDR disabled. It just looks nicer.

OLED is just better for HDR gaming you don't get a downgrade in picture like you do in game modes that Samsung uses to decrease input delay on their LCD's. Also, OLED's have a higher f-stop range than LCD thanks to having true blacks that's why to your eyes it looks better.

HDR is not only about being as bright as possible but having true blacks too and that is critical to the overall picture.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at 4k HDR TV's compared to my 1080p 6+ year old Sony 55" - do they really look so much better specifically because of HDR? Or Is it just the fact that it's just a nice OLED 4k TV with a fantastic contrast ratio of a nice OLED panel?

Have you A/B'd content with HDR on and OFF?

I'm just skeptical about how much of that amazing picture I would put down specifically to the HDR feature. Certainly with my friends Pana (honestly can't remember if it was OLED), he had HDR on and OFF for me, and I didn't really notice a difference. Both looked way better than my TV!

I have a C8 and to me HDR improves the look of every game. Even bad HDR implementations like MHW:I looks way better on HDR. People who says SDR looks brighter probably has the brigthness/OLED Light too high for SDR content, people tend to be used to badly calibrated TVs with overdown brigthness and bad calibrated colors.

And for movies/Netflix and such Dolby Vision is just bliss.

I have it in a dark room and an OLED is perfect in that situation because the perfect contrast of OLEDs makes the highlights stand out, and without 0 blooming. For a very bright room, a premium LED/QLED can be better because contrast isn't as important and you need higher peak brigthness.

So yeah, OLED is a huge upgrade over my old 1080p in it's own but HDR/Dolby Vision takes that upgrade even further.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I never really 'notice' HDR anymore. It wasn't until I saw two TVs with the same movie on side by side that it made me really appreciate HDR. The implementation of HDR is amazing in some games too - I think next-gen will take that up to another level too.

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
I have a samsung nu8000 or some such, it's the 2018 mid tier model, so pretty decent. 4k and hdr look cool, no doubt but, ehh it's not a big deal. I get used to graphics pretty quick and then it's just whatever. It's literally not a game changer, as some here are saying. I've been going back and forth with the Witcher on switch and my PS4 Pro (depending on which system might have it already loaded cause load times suck)and low and behold - the game is just the same amount of fun on both. HDR does not change the game any more than 4k does, which is not at all.

I had a NU8000 and wasn't impressed with the HDR either, but then I got the LG C8 OLED and now whenever a movie or game doesn't support HDR I get sad. It's so, so good.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017

Most monitors suck for HDR gaming right now apart from a few that have FALD and are expensive as hell. It's straight up gonna cost less to buy a much much better 48" OLED this year than a high end gaming monitor that's how stupid the pricing is in the monitor market for high end HDR implementation.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
It is probably my TV but on it HDR is very overrated feature. It looks little better in some cases but in general it just gives a more saturated picture with brighter highlights. I have a 'regular' LED tv and not an OLED.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
This is because FF7 Remake HDR Implementation isn't that good

A good HDR mode shouldn't have that issue.

Oh lord. There's a Digital Foundry for TVs.

I don't know about monitors but for TV's is easy. HDR is dependant on nits levels and contrast, and every TV handle those differently. The more expensive the TV, the better it's nits and contrast will be, so the better HDR will look.

Some cheap TVs don't even have the specs to show HDR properly yet they have an HDR mode, hence the dissapointed when you enable it and it's dark and washed out.

Also (like well, everything in a TV IMO) HDR will be more impactful in a dark room compared to a bright room.
Yes it's the same with monitors. My 27inch LG monitor has fake HDR in the same way as you describe on the cheap TVs.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have two "bang for your buck" type HDR LCDs. HDR is great, I love it, but there is indeed a lack of content. I keep up with every single new UHD blu ray release to see if there's anything new to watch in HDR.

Anyways, the huge downside to these types of TVs that I never see talked about is that, on rtings, you can see that the max nits for 2% screen coverage is barely above SDR. In fact, with brightness in the 300 nit range, it's not HDR period. Why is the 2% number so important? Well, people rave about highlights, but on these TV's they just don't exist. With the local contrast deal, you just get a huge glowy swath of your screen. The local dimming zones are entirely too big on my TCL p607 and Hisense H8f. Especially the hisense, there's like 40 something lol. its not good. Basically, if there's a little shine off a rock or whatever, it just isn't HDR for me.

I don't know how much better OLEDs are in this regard. I don't see myself upgrading my TV for years until HDR has advanced far past what it is. And that's despite the fact that these budget manufacturers are putting these things out for a steal. You can get at least a taste of HDR for 2-300 easily.

I kinda just want to wake up when we get 4k nits overall, with at least 1000 nit highlights.

I know this is a game forum but most people underrate 4K resolution, for movies, mainly movies shot on film. It's incredible to be able to clearly see all the grain of the classics. From my understanding, film also has greater brightness dynamic range than what SDR can display so it's nice to see the extra range in classic movies too. 4k is great and a must for all game fans and especially movie fans. Even before I got to 4k I began to feel like 1080p was very limited, especially since I'm very conservative on anti-aliasing.

One last thing on my ramble here, lol at the people who think HDR brightness is too much. Like, what.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
OLED is just better for HDR gaming you don't get a downgrade in picture like you do in game modes that Samsung uses to decrease input delay on their LCD's. Also, OLED's have a higher f-stop range than LCD thanks to having true blacks that's why to your eyes it looks better.

HDR is not only about being as bright as possible but having true blacks too and that is critical to the overall picture.

The colors just look better on the OLED imho. Even as best as I could get them professionally calibrated, and playing UHD Bluray discs (no game mode/smoothing/etc), I'd say the C9 looks 9.5/10, while the Q950R looks 7.5/10ish to me. The difference is even bigger when playing back a 1080p BD (lots of stuff not available in 4K HDR yet, and even 1080p BDs look and ESPECIALLY sound way better than streaming trash).

Feels like we're still a few years from a more ideal TV tech. Things even went backwards for a while, had an old Kuro Plasma and the LEDs just looked a little rough to me in the early 2010s until big OLEDs got rolling. QLED is better than old LEDs and I'd say on par with great plasmas, but not to C8/C9 levels to my eyes.

Eye of the beholder of course :)

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
HDR is the best when it works. It's unfortunately a mess with no real standards it's seems. I haven't even really gotten into HDR on PC because it was a disaster last time I tried lol.

Aren't OLEDs pretty dim compared to other panels for HDR?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Anytime I see threads about HDR on here, I'm wondering how bad some people have their stuff set. HDR gets way darker than SDR does, and it's the most noticeable part.
Can't find it now, but there was a great article I read showing how a lot of people configure there HDR sets using a picture of the sun in mad max fury road as an example for how making hdr "bright as you can" just leads to over saturated washed out images. Whenever people talk about squinting because hdr is so bright it makes me think of it, shame I can't find it

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
HDR is beautiful and it's one of those things people can talk about how great it is, but until you see it, you dont really understand why its so good. You cant market HDR as you can resolution and brute forced graphics.

And it's even more crazy when you move from different tvs/devices ... I was blown away by god of war 4K HDR ... But then I saw the same game on my dads 4k OLED C7 and that put my monitor to shame .... I can only imagine how even better it looks on the C9.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
UK27 series? Or maybe more higher end?

I rock the UK27850, it's just perfect, amazing monitor, USB-C, 90deg pivot, 4K, FreeSync, I would suggest it to anyone with consoles and a USB-C laptop.

Unfortunately though, monitors are far, far behind TVs in HDR. It supports it, but the peak brightness is too low for it to be amazing. Getting a monitor that has decent HDR is incredibly expensive for now.

I have the LG 32UD99 ... Is yours a newer better model?

I want to get a better 4k hdr monitor with the same screen size or even slightly bigger i dont mind