• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
On the whole I prefer it to RE5, but my word, Jake and Sherry's campaign might be the worst part of any RE game I've played (which is admittedly nowhere close to all of them).

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
It's OK OP, we forgive you.

P.S. RE6 salt is always delicious.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It's the GOAT TPS action game of all time with lots of content, variety, and great combat mechanics. Much better than the RE5 dumpster fire.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the club.

Fun as heck TPS.

Have finished it many times over and still find myself returning for more.

Last edited:

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I disliked it enough to never feel the urge to replay it. Honestly remember having to force myself to finish it. I'm a pretty big RE fan but 6 just did not click for me at all.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I played through 100% of the game in coop, in chronological order which would have to be the best possible setup.

I had fun, I also had a lot of aggrevation. RE6 failed more than it succeeded. There is some great stuff in there but it's in a sea of mediocrity or outright terrible scernarios during that campaign.

I appreciated the devs trying to do everything, it was on another level vs RE5, huge campaign with an invasion mode no less but it never came together.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad, it's just a mediocre game that tries to copy every hot trend at once and does none of them exceptionally well.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I bought this game roughly a year ago. Really tried to give it a 2nd chance... made it maybe halfway through Leon's story and got so bored/hated the controls so much I couldn't play it anymore. To this day it is still the only mainline RE game I have never completed

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm playing resident evil 4 and the game made me so nostalgic I YouTubed some "greatest games of GameCube" videos lol

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You're one of us now OP

One of us

Together we shall bring back this franchise to the one true path of suplex

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Just finished Leon's campaign the other night. It's alright. I can see why people hate it, but I also see why it's become something of a cult classic in recent years. It probably didn't help that I was playing it on PS3 (I really don't like the PS3's controller, it's too easy to hit buttons you didn't mean to hit and the sticks feel like N64 analog sticks but with too large of a thumb space), but there was nothing offensively bad about it. The QTEs could be a little annoying, and I'm someone who kind of doesn't hate quick time events, but I got used to them. This game is clearly designed around co-op so there were the occasional "wait for the AI to do stuff so I can get on with the scenario" situations. Boss fights could be a bit of a slog (I'm singling out the cathedral boss in particular, I'm wondering if the guy who designed the Comms officer fight in Revelations is responsible because it REEKS of their handiwork) but in hindsight the lows of the campaign were on par with, and maybe even a tiny bit above, the lows of other games in the series (like, I dunno, whoever decided to make a fight in Revelations where you fight TWO Comms officers). Annoying, but nothing that made me say "yeah nope never touching this game again".

There's some dumb stuff, but there's also some FUN dumb stuff. Bad but charmingly corny dialogue, over the top scenarios that continually seem like they want to one up each other, and if I'm honest, Leon's final boss was some pretty fun stuff (and takes up a chapter and a half of the five!). I liked Helena as a character, and I think at this point in the series (after marathoning this with REmake and 4), it's nice to have someone actively fighting with you for a game. I also find it hilarious that after playing 4 back to back with this one, not only did they keep in Leon's overpowered roundhouse kick, but they give you dedicated buttons to just kick zombies whenever you feel like. It's an overly ambitious game, maybe a bit tone deaf for the time, but for the $5 I got it for and the enjoyment I got out of just Leon's campaign, I can see myself deciding to replay it sometime (even if I don't end up liking the other 3 campaigns).

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Taking a break before launching RE 2 Remake after going through Evil Within 1 and 2, Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, Rev and Rev 2 for the first time (always on Easy) these past 4 weeks.

Although I consider RE 7 VR my favorite experience of 2017, I know it loses a lot of steam without VR. RE 6 is my (soon to be second) favorite by far because it's so entertaining. QTEs never bothered me, maybe thanks to the Breakout Skill. It also looks so good, I had a hard time believing this was a last gen 2012 game thanks to the art direction (on PC at 4K).

Also, WALKING AND SHOOTING. Yeah yeah yeah RE 4/5 encounters were designed around static tank control aiming, ok.gif it's a nuisance. In RE 6 I was free to run through levels and often skip encounters if I didn't feel like fighting, or destroy everything like a badass. Invincible co-op partner is also a huge plus.

Going through Rev 1/2 after RE 6 was such a slog, very safe and boring campaigns in comparison. They're not scary at all, so they really could use a bit of Hollywood magic.

RE 4's Village stands the test of time but Castle/Island are levels I really won't ever want to play again (reminds me of Dark Souls 1, perfect game until suddenly it's not) and RE 5 is just boring until Wesker shows up and steals the show as the most charismatic villain I've seen in the franchise. RE 6 offers a relentless delivery of WTF moments with so many locations, villains and cutscenes that keep you invested in what the characters are going through. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just fun and crazy like Fast & Furious or Mission Impossible.

I loved it.
That being said, I'm glad I live in the dimension where we got RE 2 Remake in 2019 instead of Resident Evil 6's baby. But I'm not against a story sequel that continues 6's craziness with the full cast.

I just, uh... I love Resident Evil. Or is it Biohazard?

Oh yeah one last thing THAT LOGO come on Capcom. 7 years later it's still a happy giraffe in my mind. I laughed every time I launched the damn thing. Thank the zombie gods for RE 7's fantastic title design.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This physically hurted me.

No. NO NO NO NO.

I mean, it is when you think about it.
What mainline RE title is the most divisive? I suppose you can argue it's 0 or 6.
But outside of that it's relatively "They're all good an worth playing".

Since we're talking just the game itself and what it does vs "It hasn't aged well".
Which is typically the only complaint that comes up for something like say CVX.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I mean, it is when you think about it.
What mainline RE title is the most divisive? I suppose you can argue it's 0 or 6.
But outside of that it's relatively "They're all good an worth playing".

Since we're talking just the game itself and what it does vs "It hasn't aged well".

I think there is divisive and divisive. Most people that dislike Dark Souls 2 would say it isn't a bad game, just not as good as the other Souls games. While in case of RE6 people truly dislike it. Resident Evil 5 would be a much better comparison. Although it's not that perfect because although Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game, RE5 is only the third best RE game, after RE3 and REmake.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really enjoyed this game co-op, I thought it was a ton of fun.

But the story? I mean, most RE games make no sense to me, but I legitimately cannot tell you what the story in this game even is, despite playing it start to finish, and being one of the 7 people on earth who actually really liked the game.

That's not even sarcasm or hyperbole, I literally have no idea. You could tell me that the game had no story and was just a random collection of action levels, and I would believe you.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the core gameplay is quite excellent and shines through freeform modes like Mercenaries.

But I think the scenario and level design in the campaigns is sometimes good but often really bad. The level design and scenario design through the campaigns very much strangleholds the game's best qualities at times, and it results in an overall subpar singleplayer campaign experience.

But I do love just booting up Mercenaries long after the fact and trying to maximize the game's mechanics within my skill limits. It really does have very good action TPS combat but it doesn't always allow that to shine through the entirety of the campaign -- I'd even argue the campaign actually seldom takes advantage of it. I think it helps to actually buy any of the current-gen versions of the game, immediately go to Mercenaries and start learning before you dive into the campaign. Knowing what you CAN do helps the campaign be a lot more interesting in some parts, though like I said, there are times when it feels like the campaign is actively preventing you from reaching into that full toolset because it's trying so hard to make certain sections of the game seem like "real time set pieces."

Overall, it's an appreciable game in my eyes but I just think the campaign clearly has a lot of bloated and misused ideas and it could've been a much more focused and excellent package overall if there had been time to cut a lot of things out during development. In my perfect alternate timeline, Capcom staff get interviewed and are like "and there's a lot of stuff we left on the cutting room floor for the better of the game. Some versions of the game during playtest had many more attempted features but we found it just did not take advantage of the game's greatest strengths, and we focused in on making sure that was no longer the case."

Nov 8, 2017
Its a dreadful game with a nonsensical story, bottom tier even by the standards of Resident Evil plots. I regret every hour I spent wading through it, because not even coop with a friend could salvage the experience.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This thread made me realize that it's the co-op RE fans' turn to complain that Capcom isn't making games that fit their own specific tastes.

Let's get the co-op, action-focused RE8 hype train going choo choo

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It was great!
Leon Story was the best for me annd I hated Chris, it had too much action...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This thread made me realize that it's the co-op RE fans' turn to complain that Capcom isn't making games that fit their own specific tastes.

It really is a 180 until the other side gets to eat lol.
I still remember all the "RE needs to go back to being scary" when RE5 and everything inbetween RE6 came out.
The good old days.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Played through it taking turns between my son and wife. A good time was had. Don't remember much of the game tbh, but I remember having fun with the family so I'd say it did it's job.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it, OP. It really is a bigass fanservice party. Also for some reason it runs amazingly well on PC, like 4K 100+ FPS on old GPUs.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

I don't even need co-op (outside of a side mode like Mercs). I just want more of that excellent action with rewarding mechanics.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't even need co-op (outside of a side mode like Mercs). I just want more of that excellent action with rewarding mechanics.

I'll always stand by RE6's flaws were based around bad decisions on design and nothing about being a action game.
You can make RE8 an action game and still see success and positive reception. RE4 is proof enough of that.
What many consider the best RE game of all-time is an action game through and through.

The RE series just needs to be good and it will sell.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The only good thing about Resident Evil 6 is that it was so bad it made Capcom make Resident Evil 7.

Thank you Resident Evil 6 because 7 is very good.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's a fun meme game if you can find somebody else to suffer with you but outside of that I don't see why you wouldn't just play the only game mode worth playing anyways. Serious Capcom WHERE IS MERCENARIES IN RE2 REMAKE.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Gameplay was good, it just overstayed its welcome. It would have been a better game with 3-4 hours cut.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
It's arguably the worst canon RE game in the series.

But then again, RE7 wouldn't exist if RE6 did not commercially bomb.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I get that many dislike RE6, but this I cannot get.
Yeah Resident Evil 6 isn't good but it's not Racoon City or Umbrella Corps

RE6s biggest sins were that it felt like it was trying to keep too many plates in the air. When the game was trying to be an action packed shooter in Chris and Jake's campaigns it fell flat on its face. Leon's campaign is ok but even then the level design was extremely confusing and moving while shooting takes a lot of the tension away. Plus it eschewed upgradable weapons in favor of that shitty skill system.

We don't even need to talk about Ada's campaign. And.... Simmon's motivations never even made sense. Like I get that Resident Evil's plot is over the top and not meant to be taken super seriously but 6's story is so ridiculous it breaks any suspension of disbelief.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'll always stand by RE6's flaws were based around bad decisions on design and nothing about being a action game.
You can make RE8 an action game and still see success and positive reception. RE4 is proof enough of that.
What many consider the best RE game of all-time is an action game through and through.

The RE series just needs to be good and it will sell.

Yep. A royal mess of a campaign, meh QTEs and I honestly that the guns were a bit stronger...but when you're in Mercs, the gameplay shines through.

I don't know what's next for the brand, but I honestly hope whatever MP-oriented(?) thing Capcom may be bringing in Ambassadors to try utilizes this. RE6's mechanics deserve to have a good home.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer survivor and dead aim without the light guns to re6. Still had fun with re6 tho it's just that the damn qtes are the most unforgiving bs.