• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Many questions:

Which state?
Why was the customer angry?
Relevance of ethnicity?
i mean its usually said to set a scene and as a way to recall the event i mean if it was a white old dude with a rebel flag hat i am sure he would say that and it would still have no story relevence but it sets the scene and explains how OP recalls the event now if he was acting fearful for no reason than the color of his skin than that would be messed up as it is think he did fine. Sometimes details help set the scene and recall the event.

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
ubanemj21mqascjrl_run31kuu.gif
Cute, really added to the thread, thanks

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
I legit didn't think it was a problem. I could have given more details besides oh he was black though. I admit fault there. It wasn't a good idea leading with that and I am legitimately sorry.

Sometimes going back over what you post is worth doing, eh?

Just out of curiosity, if he was white, would you have mentioned he was a white customer?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Should've made it clear what you were doing, instead of just reaching into their bag.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't process or understand your story without knowing what race your coworker is.
i need to know the race/gender of the OP, the customer (apparently the customer is a customer but the AA buying something isn't a customer?), the coworker beside the OP and the coworker(s) that made the comment on break.

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
I like how there were people spending their early tax refunds and "monthly checks" and then he got threatened by the blacks.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't act bitter about this. You're the one who slipped up in a detrimental way. You had multiple people in a story but only "painted" a scene with race for the black customer you have a problem with in your story. Acknowledge it and move on.
OP only had Black paint?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh my fucking god he threatened me saying something about a gun to my head. Of course I described him (but should have done a better job that didn't denote race)
Why are you acting mad at people explaining this? It makes it seem like that's the issue for you. Like you don't care what the issue we are describing is, you just appear to care that it is inconvenient to your rant.

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you acting mad at people explaining this? It makes it seem like that's the issue for you. Like you don't care what the issue we are describing is, you just appear to care that it is inconvenient to your rant.
It all matters deeply to me. I make it a point to treat everyone fairly. I faltered here unintentionally. How many times must I repeat myself?

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
Also fuck me this shit happened on black history month. Ironic I fuck up my words like this on such a month.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Mate, this should have been a Police report, not a ResetEra thread.

I've worked in retail for most of my life. Granted, not in the United States, but I have experience with angry and threatening customers.

You've apologised for the race comment so I'm not going to beat a dead horse here, but really consider how you go about phrasing things.

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
This has been such a messy thread due to poor wording. I regret posting it. Sorry for lashing out at you all.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It all matters deeply to me. I make it a point to treat everyone fairly. I faltered here unintentionally. How many times must I repeat myself?
No more need to repeat, but no need for the lashing out on people like the first sentence I just responded to below:
Oh my fucking god he threatened me saying something about a gun to my head. Of course I described him (but should have done a better job that didn't denote race)
I'm just responding to your posts and trying to clarify that taking the message people are sharing here but adding in "reasons" it seemed ok to do and reasons we are the problem for noticing comes off as defensive.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Look, I know it sucks to have this pointed out to you but unconscious racial bias is extremely common, even among people operating with good intentions. I am sure it sucks a lot more to be a POC and have to be on the receiving end of those biases. You can choose to be defensive about it or you can take a moment to reflect on some of the language you used. Look at the language of your original post, not just pointing out that this person was black:

Part of my job is activating phones for customers. I was activating a phone for a customer after they bought it and was just about done putting their phone box back into the bag when I accidentally put it in the wrong customer's bag. My coworker was also checking somebody else out and this was their bag. The person was of African-American descent, wearing a headset with microphone. When I took the phone box out of the wrong bag, he started cussing me out with F bombs. My coworker heard that and I said nothing during this time. Soon I heard him mutter under his breath something about a gun to the head. I wasn't sure if he was talking about me or not or if he was talking on the headset but just in case I said absolutely nothing and carried on with my customer. After I was done with my customer I clocked out for lunch and told about what happened. "Bunch of idiots is what they are." they said. I laughed and said yeah they are. I was shook as I left the store to go eat somewhere. I know the right course of action is to ignore it because nine times out of 10 those are hollow threats. Nothing comes of it because these people are insane.

In the context of your highlighting that this person is African American, a lot of your phrasing in the rest of the paragraph looks bad. It's classic language that has been used many times to "other" black people as a group when one acts in a way that makes you uncomfortable. So some questions you can ask yourself: was I more uncomfortable because he was black? Did the threat loom greater? Were my coworkers generalizing about black people? Was I?

If you don't want to deal with those kinds of questions I recommend just locking the thread, because the more defensive you are, the harsher the responses are going to be.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Take a breather, OP.

Do something you enjoy to take your mind off everything.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
JFC the poster apologized like 15 times. Was the wording wrong? Yeah, there's no need to include race to get his point across but we do have to spend the entire thread pointing it out and feeling outraged when it's already been responded to?

Jun 17, 2019
OP can you clear something up please. Did you, or did you not ask the person in question or your coworker to go into the bag?

Second, if you felt that threatened did you go to the security officer or a supervisor. That's sort of their job.

Last, I've been called every name in the book and was told I would be run over by a car once. It is scary as hell and I emphasize. But are you sure if he said it to you or he said it to the mic.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i really just want to know what the worst state in the nation is...feel like its gotta be somewhere in the south or midwest right?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Idk, sounds like you probably misheard the gun to the head shit because you're so worked up and paranoid. Take a PTO day and relax. If retail even allows days off.
Shit just get out of retail.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
JFC the poster apologized like 15 times. Was the wording wrong? Yeah, there's no need to include race to get his point across but we do have to spend the entire thread pointing it out and feeling outraged when it's already been responded to?

You're asking why people are calling the OP out for including race in their story for seemingly no reason?

Nov 17, 2017
i mean its usually said to set a scene and as a way to recall the event i mean if it was a white old dude with a rebel flag hat i am sure he would say that and it would still have no story relevence but it sets the scene and explains how OP recalls the event now if he was acting fearful for no reason than the color of his skin than that would be messed up as it is think he did fine. Sometimes details help set the scene and recall the event.
A rebel flag hat? You mean a confederate flag? I think that would actually lend some relevance to the person's behavior since people who choose to wear that flag are known to be pretty intolerant people by definition. Meanwhile a person simply being black doesn't add relevance to their behavior at all.

I think people in the thread are understandably upset because black people are regularly disparaged in the way OP did, intentionally or not. Even people who don't wear a confederate flag can slip up and perpetuate these racial biases even if they didn't mean it because it's something deeply ingrained in American society. It doesn't help anyone to get defensive, it's much better to acknowledge these internalized bias we carry. Doesn't make you a bad person for it.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Given the OP's history on racial issues, there's no way this thread was made in good faith. As such it has been locked and the OP banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.