• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is a major pet peeve of mine. And this game isn't the only culprit either.

I understand why voice acting wasn't a thing in the early days, storage limitations of the medium or just technical limitations. But in 2019 i really struggle with games that still use gibberish, or silent text scrolling, or canned sound bites followed by text (as is Octopath Traveler) I don't want to be reading a book. It makes the game feel like a relic, like it's not taking advantage of the developments of the medium. and what i actually find worse are games that aren't consistent with it. Octopath Traveler opens with fully voice acted dialogue, something i was pleasantly surprised to hear given it's retro-ish visuals. "oh, it is a modern game after all" i muttered, and yet, after that brief introduction to the backstory, everyone resorts to annoying, repetitive soundbites followed by text that i then have to read. Breath of the Wild had this problem too (and Nintendo games as a whole). It means those traditionally relaxed moments where you just want to kick back and absorb some story ends up requiring active participation from the player. like QTE's but more annoying. You're not being told a story, you have to read it.

It's also incredibly anti-accessibility too. My partner is partially sighted and generally loves the slower paced turn based nature of games like this, but he would be at a loss regarding it's story since it requires so much reading. it's why he loved Divinity and Fallout 3/4 (V.A.T.S) so much and why things like Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity were inaccessible to him.

Does this annoy or affect anyone else given the fact we're in 2019 and there's really no reason for characters not be to be voice acted? I mean if something like Divinity : Original Sin can do it across all it's characters in such a large world, i don't see why Octopath couldn't...especially since it's partially there in the first place.

is it just a case of devs/pubs being a bit cheap regarding localisation? Because that is honestly the only reason i can come up with that makes sense, but in my view it doesn't exactly excuse it.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is it just a case of devs/pubs being a bit cheap regarding localisation? Because that is honestly the only reason i can come up with that makes sense, but in my view it doesn't exactly excuse it.

it's a low budget game
there's really nothing else to conclude, it's still only a JRPG that's going to sell 1.5-2 millions LTD at best

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can understand the difficulties that people with visual impairment may have, but personally I don't mind reading and I don't get bothered by a lack of voice acting.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
it's a low budget game
there's really nothing else to conclude, it's still only a JRPG that's going to sell 1.5-2 millions LTD at best

Divinity OS2 is a lower budget game and sells in the same range and on top of that is made by an indipendent developer not a multibillion publisher like Square Enix. Also, DOS2 has a fuckton of text to voice, there's no excuse. DOS2 has also a lower MSRP compared to Octopath.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Divinity OS2 is a lower budget game and sells in the same range and on top of that is made by an indipendent developer not a multibillion publisher like Square Enix. Also, DOS2 has a fuckton of text to voice, there's no excuse. DOS2 has also a lower MSRP compared to Octopath.

cool but divinity original sin doing it doesn't mean that it's the norm, it's great that they're putting so much effort but the typical jrpg doesn't have full english voice acting
see the tales of series or xenoblade

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
It's never mattered to me. There's some games that I prefer not having voice acting in. Only thing that bugs me is really annoying jibberish (like Banjo's).

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

exactly.
Not sure if serious because NNK2 just drops VA midway through so many CS that it's actually more annoying than Octopath Traveler ever is.

yeah, that's what i assumed. NNK1 had the same problem and i was doubtful that it's rushed sequel would have fared any better.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is one of the things I hate about many modern Japanese games, for some reason most of them seem to not even want to bother with VA, even companies that could EASILY afford to pay for it (IE Nintendo) they choose not to.

In this day and age good voice acting can really really help a game's narrative and characters, having silent scrolling text just feels outdated to me.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is one of the things I hate about many modern Japanese games, for some reason most of them seem to not even want to bother with VA, even companies that could EASILY afford to pay for it (IE Nintendo) they choose not to.

In this day and age good voice acting can really really help a game's narrative and characters, having silent scrolling text just feels outdated to me.

Nintendo are too greedy to even use unionized voice actors, no surprise that they don't give their games full voice acting.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Can I have a video version of this thread? Reading all that text just feels too archaic

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Yes Japanese publishers should make their games more accessible for non Abled people !!! I really wish they focused on that.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it doesn't bother me. Most of the time I prefer to just read since I typically read much faster than the voice actors can speak their lines. So most of the time I don't even hear much voice acting anyway since I'm pressing the button to advance the text. I'll only hear the first few words most of the time.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
...okay ? So the game isnt for you, it supposed to be a throwback to traditional JRPGs and was probably green lighted on a relative small budget. VA for the couple important scenes was what i expected - not full VA through the whole game.

Can I have a video version of this thread? Reading all that text just feels too archaic
10/10

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We couldn't be more opposites. I usually read the subtitles when it's fully voiced and click through the scene because I hate just sitting around waiting lol.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, D:OS2 is only voiced in one language, I believe, whereas Octopath is voiced in English and Japanese. And the cost of living in Tokyo is more than the cost of living in Belgium. I love Larian but not everyone can do what they do, and not everyone can be judged by their metric. Different games allot their budgets differently.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's a shame that you aren't able to enjoy games over something as minor as this.

I'm not sure any of my favourite games are fully voiced. I'm personally glad that most people are able to deal with it, since it means that some devs with smaller budgets aren't limited by the need to voice every line.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
it's a low budget game

Honestly, if companies like NIS America can make a full dub game that'll only sell 100k, Nintendo and Square-Enix could've done it. I believe it's half artistic choice, half laziness/cheapness.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if companies like NIS America can make a full dub game that'll only sell 100k, Nintendo and Square-Enix could've done it. I believe it's half artistic choice, half laziness/cheapness.

To be fair, the eng dubs in Disgaea games are all absolutely terrible. Octopath/Tales Of may be only partially dubbed but that alone is of a much better quality than any NISA games I played with eng dub.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese games just might not be for you then if you want every piece of dialogue in the game to be voiced. A lot of JPN games tend to not have sidequests voiced. I know Tales, Persona, Yakuza, and Trails/Ys games tend to do this; only the main story content is voiced, and even then, some of the story content isn't voiced either.

I guess JP voice work is more expensive.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix thought the game wasn't going to sell that well. After the surprise success, the studio now has a much bigger budget and target for success. Octopath Traveler has a lot of voice acting though, it's not just the opening back stories, key scenes have voice acting too. I would love for it to be fully voice acted, but I also don't mind reading.

At least the game itself is of high quality, and I'm looking forward to the next game. It's sad that OP can't enjoy throw back games like this though, missing out on a ton of masterpieces.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
You know what KORNdog? I prefer it when modern takes on traditional JRPGs don't Follow The Leader. There's really no need for VA in Octopath, and I enjoyed the game, and its story, immensely with no Issues despite their absence. When I play a game like this that sticks to the conventions of old, it takes me back to a time when Life Is Peachy 24/7 - when I used to just sit around playing the best JRPGs of all time (the Untouchables of the genre like FFVI) without a care in the world.

So you know what? Take A Look In The Mirror and really ask yourself if you need VA to enjoy in this game. I think you know the answer - now grab this wonderful little gem and I'll See You On The Other Side in the OT.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

it's definitely how it feels to me. it just makes it seem like they don't have the confidence in their own product to give them features that have been long standardized within the industry. Yakuza is another series i just dropped out of because they stopped localizing the voice work.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I can understand not being able to read subs in realtime cutscenes if you're partially sighted but surely if you have enough to sight to play games you can read the speech bubbles appearing above the characters head.
Accessibility is important but I don't blame SE for not wanting to fully dub this game. Voice actors are expensive and it's clear this game had a budget in mind.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Seems more like a stylistic choice, not a budgetary one. One I'm completely fine with. I'm pretty good at and enjoy reading and it's supposed to feel like an interactive novel anyway.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
You should play together with you reading everything for him. It might sound difficult at first, but it'll click eventually. People used to read books to each other just to bond.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You won't miss it when you get to Ophilia

"Your excellency!"
"Your excellency!"
"Your excellency!"

i'm only a little ways into the demo and i've heard "i see" a million times already. lol. but apparently that is better then the lines of dialogue being fully voice acted? *shrugs* lol

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I don't understand this need for voice acting, maybe cause I grew up without it.
No voice acting would never be a deal breaker for me. Bad voice acting would though...

davidsynd

Jul 18, 2018
No voice acting is better in my opinion. It´s much faster to read. I think Octopath Traveler strikes a pretty good balance, they use voice acting to punctuate attacks and such.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't understand this need for voice acting, maybe cause I grew up without it.
No voice acting would never be a deal breaker for me. Bad voice acting would though...
I admit that I felt the absence in Pokemon Let's Go. I know none of the previous Pokemon games had VA, but this was the first time I felt it was missing something without it. Even just the Octopath-style "say two words to sum up the full speech bubble" or Zelda-style "emotive grunts" would have been fine.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

bad voice acting can be turned into no voice acting in the menu though. it's why it would be nice to at least have the option.

Dec 3, 2018
You should play together with you reading everything for him. It might sound difficult at first, but it'll click eventually. People used to read books to each other just to bond.

I kind of love this suggestion, my partner and I always do voices for the characters when we play Suikoden which can be hilarious.

Doesn't mean it's not odd that longer and even more text heavy games from smaller publishers can manage full va tho.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of voice acting doesnt really bother me.

I'm more bothered when I'm forced to sit and listen to some dialog and can't speed it up and just read through the text.

I can understand why those with visual impairments would be bothered by a lack of voice acting though.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
The voice acting sort of helped me decide not to get it. Voice overs can help ruin a game, I.e. Prompto from FF15

What some think should be a standard can sound hopelessly corny and off putting to others.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Agree OP, it's a constant turnoff in lots of Japanese titles. One of the reasons why I never finished NNK2 and probably one of the biggest reasons why I'm still having so much fun with DQXI.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While I kinda was annoyed about this in the Layton games, op is missing one big factor: timing. A lot of history details are changed in last minute, so going back to record session in the last minute is not really worth delaying the game for a lot of people. Are we willing to wait more just because of one or two bits of history that were changed at some point in development? I'm sure ain't.

Another thing that grind my gears regarding everything voice acted is that sometimes they have button prompts anyway, so you kinda have to time the presses, otherwise you either cut out the speech or the conversation sounds really obnoxious.

" I hate you!"
"Don't blame me for you problems!!"
"My only problem is you"

Having dialogue options make this even worse, because the other guy just stares at you like he's having a seizure or something. When the conversation is text only, I don't have this problem. Sorry op, but even 2019, we still not quite there yet to have everything voice acted.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
SE were surprised it sold well to the point that they underestimated how many physical copies they needed to print and had to apologize about it. It's fair to say that they didn't make the game fully voice acted because of the budget and expectations they had.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
My native language isn't English, so I tend to never care for its VA. In JPN games I also put the voices in Japanese, as I have to read subtitles anyway (I understand English but always turn them on to not lose anything)
Also I don't think BotW is a good example, it has VA in a gazillion languages, I'm much more into this if it's in my native language for key moments than having all the secondary NPC's inane lines voiced in English.