• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

As an heiress to the Disney fortune, anything Abigail Disney says about the brand beloved by millions worldwide garners attention. And she's calling out Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger for his nearly $66 million yearly salary, saying he isn't doing enough to rectify the huge gap between his own earnings and that of other Disney workers.

"Bob needs to understand he's an employee, just the same as the people scrubbing gum off the sidewalk are employees," Disney said during an interview with the Yahoo News show "Through Her Eyes." "And they're entitled to all the same dignity and human rights that he is."

Iger's paycheck last year was more than 1,000 times what the median Disney employee made in 2018, according to Equilar.

To understand the grievances of Walt Disney Co. employees, Abigail Disney said she recently went undercover to Disneyland after receiving a Facebook message from a distressed worker.

She said what she found at "The Happiest Place on Earth" was a façade that was about to crack from the pressure of making ends meet.

"Every single one of these people I talked to were saying, 'I don't know how I can maintain this face of joy and warmth when I have to go home and forage for food in other people's garbage,'" she recalled, adding that this was not the work environment her grandfather Roy O. Disney sought out to create.

"I was so livid when I came out of there because, you know, my grandfather taught me to revere these people that take your tickets, that pour your soda," she continued.

"Those people are much of the recipe for success."

To help jump-start change, Disney says she wants to be taxed more. She and more than a dozen other wealthy Americans recently penned an open letter to 2020 presidential candidates calling for a raise in federal wealth taxes to "substantially fund" things like clean energy, infrastructure and universal childcare.

"I have more than enough," Disney told "Through Her Eyes." "And if you've got $1 billion, there's not a thing on this earth you can't afford."

A filmmaker and philanthropist, Abigail Disney does not have an active role in the company her grandfather co-founded. But she says she recently wrote to Iger expressing her concerns.

"I wrote Bob Iger a very long email, and one of the things I said to him was, 'You know, you're a great CEO by any measure, perhaps even the greatest CEO in the country right now. You know, your legacy is that you're a great manager. And if I were you, I would want something better than that. I would want to be known as the guy who led to a better place, because that is what you have the power to do.'"

But Disney said that in response to her email, she got "nothing."

"There was no answer," she said.

Disney has gained a lot from her famous grandfather and the fairy-tale world he helped create, but she says she is also cognizant of her family's darker legacies and how they have hurt people, too. Her great-uncle, Walt Disney, has been accused of anti-Semitism, sexism and racism.

"Sadly, it happens to be the case that there are very nice people who are also racists," Abigail Disney recalled.

She cited movies like "Song of the South" and characters like Jim Crow in the 1941 film "Dumbo" as examples of her great-uncle Walt's racist history. Although these films were created before the civil rights movement, Disney says time is no excuse for bigotry.

"We cannot simply say, 'Oh, everybody was a racist back then,'" she explained. "Many people chose to not be what everyone else was. It takes courage. It takes integrity. It's a very hard thing to do."

"But if you decide to be a person who creates culture, then you have to take on all the responsibility of that."

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
"I wrote Bob Iger a very long email, and one of the things I said to him was, 'You know, you're a great CEO by any measure, perhaps even the greatest CEO in the country right now. You know, your legacy is that you're a great manager. And if I were you, I would want something better than that. I would want to be known as the guy who led to a better place, because that is what you have the power to do.'"

But Disney said that in response to her email, she got "nothing."

"There was no answer," she said.

Well that's both depressing and what I expected.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It is quite obvious that greed took over and the people in charge of the parks stopped caring about the little things and instead focused on big bombastic announcements and rides.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
As a theme park worker I can completely agree that it's hard to keep up the facade of being happy. When it's 90+ degrees and you get yelled at constantly it's hard to remain upbeat. It's super easy for guests to get upset. They spend a lot of money and emotional investment in these trips.

For example the other day a kid wasn't tall enough to ride. I had to explain that to the family and I'll get the typical, "this is bullshit, he's nearly there just let him on". I would love for this kid to ride but at this point it's a safety concern and I will not risk their life to go on a ride. I don't want to have to turn him away but it's better to keep him safe.

There's usually one worker crying or ranting in the break room at any time. We know the guests aren't specifically mad at us, just the situation we put them in. I deal with nearly 2500 guests every hour. Not all of them are nice people.

As a theme park worker we have the responsibility to be the storyteller. We want these guests to be immersed in our landscape and make them believe they are really in a different environment. The park itself is just set dressing, the workers are the ones to bring it to life. It's a rewarding job to help make memories and craft these fantastic worlds but it is not at all easy.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It also doesn't help that housing prices have skyrocketed in California. Where is a maintenance worker at Disneyland supposed to live in order to work in Anaheim?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
bob iger doesn't care nor do the shareholders. they own the entertainment brand of the century and will only get bigger. they have no incentive to make things better for their workers cause their audiences won't care.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good on her for trying to make change happen.

May 26, 2018
1.png

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As a theme park worker I can completely agree that it's hard to keep up the facade of being happy. When it's 90+ degrees and you get yelled at constantly it's hard to remain upbeat. It's super easy for guests to get upset. They spend a lot of money and emotional investment in these trips.

For example the other day a kid wasn't tall enough to ride. I had to explain that to the family and I'll get the typical, "this is bullshit, he's nearly there just let him on". I would love for this kid to ride but at this point it's a safety concern and I will not risk their life to go on a ride. I don't want to have to turn him away but it's better to keep him safe.

There's usually one worker crying or ranting in the break room at any time. We know the guests aren't specifically mad at us, just the situation we put them in. I deal with nearly 2500 guests every hour. Not all of them are nice people.

As a theme park worker we have the responsibility to be the storyteller. We want these guests to be immersed in our landscape and make them believe they are really in a different environment. The park itself is just set dressing, the workers are the ones to bring it to life. It's a rewarding job to help make memories and craft these fantastic worlds but it is not at all easy.

Thanks for your perspective, I think we could all use a little empathy with people. Its not like its your fault that a kid is too short to ride.

I kind of barked at a towel girl the other day for something that wasn't her fault, I felt like shit and came back later to apologize, I think she was shocked to see me come back to be honest. I told her I wasn't angry at her, that I was angry at the policy, which is likely something you had zero to do with.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Disney has gained a lot from her famous grandfather and the fairy-tale world he helped create, but she says she is also cognizant of her family's darker legacies and how they have hurt people, too. Her great-uncle, Walt Disney, has been accused of anti-Semitism, sexism and racism.

"Sadly, it happens to be the case that there are very nice people who are also racists," Abigail Disney recalled.

She cited movies like "Song of the South" and characters like Jim Crow in the 1941 film "Dumbo" as examples of her great-uncle Walt's racist history. Although these films were created before the civil rights movement, Disney says time is no excuse for bigotry.

"We cannot simply say, 'Oh, everybody was a racist back then,'" she explained. "Many people chose to not be what everyone else was. It takes courage. It takes integrity. It's a very hard thing to do."

"But if you decide to be a person who creates culture, then you have to take on all the responsibility of that."

Not often you have wealthy people with even a modicum of critical social awareness...

I like her.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
bob iger doesn't care nor do the shareholders. they own the entertainment brand of the century and will only get bigger. they have no incentive to make things better for their workers cause their audiences won't care.

It's on the audience? I thought it was on the policies that allow this to happen. Worker rights are being degraded through policy... Not because I went to go see the avengers.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Just read this on my feed. I'm glad she is speaking up and trying to drive some kind of awareness in regards to wealth inequality. Between this and her visit to congress I hope something gives because the way we function can't continue. Capitalism has been an overall benefit to us in my opinion, but christ we need to rein this shit in. Maybe if a few wealthy people really raise hell over the issue something will give. Not very optimistic on that unfortunately.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's on the audience? I thought it was on the policies that allow this to happen. Worker rights are being degraded through policy... Not because I went to go see the avengers.
capitalism follows the money. if audiences cared about workers rights and the right to a livable wage there'd be more protest against disney, amazon, wal-mart but we are pigeon holed into these services or entertainment spheres because they control a lot of it so alternatives are hard or inconveniences. it's a win win for them in a sense cause bad press isn't gonna make them change and policies are a pipe dream since the US is steeped deep in conservatism on a government level.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I like her, i wish more people with lifetimes worth of money were like her than self interested assholes.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
capitalism follows the money. if audiences cared about workers rights and the right to a livable wage there'd be more protest against disney, amazon, wal-mart but we are pigeon holed into these services or entertainment spheres because they control a lot of it so alternatives are hard or inconveniences. it's a win win for them in a sense cause bad press isn't gonna make them change and policies are a pipe dream since the US is steeped deep in conservatism on a government level.

Alrighty.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017

I work at a theme park too and this is my usual day too. I spent more time arguing and fighting with visitors than actually making sure it's all safe. Actually got into a crazy fight with a mentally insane kid that randomly punched me in the face and attacked other people including a lady in line and his own teacher, actually had to pin him down. People have no respect for you and it's super depressing.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Steve Job's family own more of Disney than her, and she's basically powerless to do anything about Bob, tragic considering she sounds like she would make the perfect successor to her grand-father, pretty stunned she got a DM of facebook then actually went undercover and did something about it, talking about the racist history without making excuses, and asking to be taxed more?!

I like her a lot.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

I think audiences care but don't see the correlation. I work in a theme park so audiences expect us to be happy, theme with them, and make them feel like we're glad they are visiting. It's difficult to maintain that image every day all day. So when we look upset audiences notice and are sucked out of this blissful utopia we try to create.

Like I'm sorry I'm not happy at the moment my car is broke and I have no money to fix it and rent is due next week. I always try to enter work as an escapism for myself as well. I'm no longer a 20 year old who lives in a shitty apartment and is worried about college. I'm a secret agent for the Men in Black or on an expedition to help locate King Kong. It varies by person on how well they are able to escape their average life though.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Steve Job's family own more of Disney than her, and she's basically powerless to do anything about Bob, tragic considering she sounds like she would make the perfect successor to her grand-father, pretty stunned she got a DM of facebook then actually went undercover and did something about it, talking about the racist history without making excuses, and asking to be taxed more?!

I like her a lot.
She should enter politics.

I doubt she'd be interested, but that's why we never get the leaders we need.

Hell I'd vote for her over the current field of primary candidates.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I work at a theme park too and this is my usual day too. I spent more time arguing and fighting with visitors than actually making sure it's all safe. Actually got into a crazy fight with a mentally insane kid that randomly punched me in the face and attacked other people including a lady in line and his own teacher, actually had to pin him down. People have no respect for you and it's super depressing.

I'm really into immersive storytelling as I'm majoring in theme park management and hold a high standard on trying to immerse the guests. I'm not trying to make you upset but we have policies we need to follow.

I don't want to break character but if you start arguing I unfortunately have to drop the facade and explain the policy and safety standards we are required to follow. I'm extremely aware of how much money you spent and everything. But all the guests have given up something to be here as well. At the end of the day I'm operating heavy machinery that can easily injure you if you don't follow our rules. Sorry but I'm not letting you ride just because I want to be mean.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really into immersive storytelling as I'm majoring in theme park management and hold a high standard on trying to immerse the guests. I'm not trying to make you upset but we have policies we need to follow.

I don't want to break character but if you start arguing I unfortunately have to drop the facade and explain the policy and safety standards we are required to follow. I'm extremely aware of how much money you spent and everything. But all the guests have given up something to be here as well. At the end of the day I'm operating heavy machinery that can easily injure you if you don't follow our rules. Sorry but I'm not letting you ride just because I want to be mean.
where is this a thing

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect a PhD from Columbia University does take some amount of effort

Money helps tremendously, I will not deny.

Additionally, she's an executive producer on many films-seemingly ones that are documentaries to raise awareness on important issues.

Additionally-
Community activism and philanthropy[edit]
Disney and her husband Pierre Hauser created The Daphne Foundation in 1991 in order to fund programs that confront the causes and consequences of poverty in the five boroughs of New York City.[17]

In 2008, Disney launched Peace is Loud, a nonprofit organization that inspires action through media and live events that spotlight women leaders on the frontlines of peacebuilding worldwide. The organization's mission is to generate a groundswell of people committed to building a culture of peace. Disney serves as the Founder and President.[18]

Disney has made several overseas trips with fellow peace activists, including Nobel laureate Leymah Gbowee. The two traveled to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in 2011 to spend a week working with women peace activists and to explore ideas for building peace in their country.[19] The following year, they visited Sri Lanka, where women activists launched the Sri Lankan Women's Agenda on Peace, Security and Development, inspired by Gbowee's legacy.[20]

In 2012 she renounced her share of the profits from the Disney family investment in the Ahava cosmetics company whose factory is located in a West Bank settlement. She stated "I cannot in good conscience profit from what is technically the 'plunder' or 'pillage' of occupied natural resources..." For legal reasons she could not withdraw her investments and therefore donated the investments and profits "to organizations working to end this illegal exploitation."[21]

In May 2015, Disney joined Gbowee and 28 other international women peacebuilders to cross the 2-mile wide De-Militarized Zone (DMZ) separating North and South Korea in an act of solidarity with Korean women and to call for an end to the Korean War. The peacebuilders headed international peace symposia in Pyongyang and Seoul, where they listened to Korean women and shared experiences of mobilizing women to end conflict.[22]

She's a good person who could have just marinated in her privilege but instead goes out of her way to use that money and influence to help the world.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It sounds like a partial plot to a Disney movie. The good child inherits the kingdom over the greedy.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Foraging through other people's garbage for food? I don't doubt theme park workers have a tough time making ends meet, but am I really supposed to believe every single person she spoke to told her that?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So wait the Disney family does not own Disney or have any power over the company itself?

Bob Iger is Disney's largest individual shareholder. Abigail Disney is not one of the top 5 individual shareholders. FWIW, Robert Matschullat who is number 5 owns 71,360 compared to Iger who owns over a million shares (as of 2017).

Edit: That is not to imply that she isn't wealthy but she has little to no power in the company's governance.