• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Please don't spoil the game, I haven't finished it yet.

When I first played The Last of Us on a friend's PS3 near the release of the original... I was bored to tears, the story didn't catch me (tbf, I wasn't really paying attention) and the game had so many mechanics to aid you in encounters most of them ended up being just bland and methodical which was the opposite of what I was looking for in the game. The game running awfully on PS3 didn't help, it's really hard to be impressed by the incredible graphics they managed to pull on that machine when all the effects made it look like a blurry mess.

That terrible impression of the game stuck with me, and even when the game was like 10 bucks I didn't even consider picking it up on PS4. However, after rediscovering Uncharted 4 a month ago I was going to pick it up since some suggested playing TLOU on Survivor mode, and I really intended to but... it was a PS+ monthly game! That was a nice surprise. Fast forwards to last week, I finally started the game again and damn, playing on Survivor really changed things up:

- First of all, the Remaster is absolutely the way to play this holy shit. I can actually discern characters that are more than 3 meters away from me! Plus 60FPS definitely helps for those action moments where I need the extra clarity to aim better and save an extra bullet or two that could help me later.

- Survivor mode changes EVERYTHING. Earlier this year, I played through Metro 2033 for the first time with one of the most memorable things about that game being how it had me searching every corner for an extra bullet or some extra seconds of filter and that's exactly the feeling I've been getting about TLOU on Survivor. No more wallhacks, no shiny items, just pure resource management and a true skill test when shit hits the fan and you have to think in a couple of seconds how to deal with a situation; it makes stealth much more interesting as well as it's definitely harder than rambo-ing your way through but you save so many more resources.

- The story's actually decent from what I've seen. Again, haven't finished it yet so please don't spoil but when a moment hits hard, it hits hard. Some of the animations do take me out of it a little, as it falls in some weird uncanney valley on cutscenes but the interactions that happen while playing the game are superb. I wouldn't put it above Uncharted 4 regarding this (which, fair enough, is the game they developed after this one), but they definitely built a believable world that just grabs you.

- Atmosphere. This is something I already liked about the original, so it's not a surprise I still greatly enjoy the atmosphere of this game. Alongside with the variety of the enviroment it definitely makes every encounter more tense, as you never know what could be lurking near you. This is something that Naughty Dog had already mastered with Uncharted 2, but the game also just knows when to let you "take it in", with beautiful landscapes or a moment of peace in the middle of the hellscape that The Last of Us' is.

Overall, and with the context of the impact this game caused after its release, I can where the "Citizen Kane moment for games" quote comes from. You know, this was really the last of the games I wanted to ever "replay" (does it count if you didn't finish it previously? :p) but it's definitely been worth it so far. Haven't finished it yet though, but I'm definitely going two as I have to find out if Ellie and Joel are really The Last of Us.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm playing it again, too. As to point 3: it definitely shows its age in animations, but it's just so good that after a few hours you forget about it.

And Factions in the GoaT MP. It's amazing how well it holds up.

You have access to Left Behind, right? That's incredible, too.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm playing it again, too. As to point 3: it definitely shows its age in animations, but it's just so good that after a few hours you forget about it.

And Factions in the GoaT MP. It's amazing how well it holds up.

You have access to Left Behind, right? That's incredible, too.
Yep, gonna check both after finishing the game.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played this game on survivor and I enjoyed it a lot played through it earlier this year. It definitely makes stealth a big benefit since resources are decently limited. I like the story too, I'm excited for tlou2 and plan to play it on survivor again or whatever they call the equivalent.

Gooberfish

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I think it was very overrated as a game. The story, graphics, voice acting, animations, were all top-notch. As for the actual game part, I felt it was very clunky and I found myself wanting to get through a level as quickly as possible just to advance the story, as opposed to enjoying the game itself.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game. Not my favorite ever, but probably top 25, maybe top 20. Hyped for 2.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
OP is an absolute machine with new threads.

Game is definitely meant to be played on Survivor. People that call the gunplay bad absolutely baffle me.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
100% Agree with you. I played it multiple times and could never get passed the first 2 hours. I pushed through earlier this week and I think I am almost done. I am absolutely loving it.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I love TLoU, but I can't for the life of me play it on any difficulty higher than easy. I'm just terrible at shooters. Wish I could experience the joy that everyone says survivor mode is. Maybe I'll try to replay the game on normal before 2 comes out.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
TLOU is one of the rare games where playing it in harder dificulty actually feels more balanced and provides a much better experience to the survival aspects of the game.
Enjoy it OP, TLOU became one of my favorite games of all time after i finished it.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yup...TLOu2 on grounded is an actual great gameplay experience. turn that listen mode off, and ND really created a great snake-lite experience. part 2 might just live up to MGS.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the game is incredible and the combat really benefits from Hard/Survival.

Will play it again in a couple of weeks.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
TLOU is one of the rare games where playing it in harder dificulty actually feels more balanced and provides a much better experience to the survival aspects of the game.
Enjoy it OP, TLOU became one of my favorite games of all time after i finished it.

Yeah the premise of the game is about literal "survival" and scavenging which doesn't come across in the lower difficulties. Supplies are actually limited and you have to be careful with how you see resources. On anything below hard you can essentially play the game as a shooter which isn't particularly great.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard/Survival is definitely the way to go. It makes it such a more harrowing game.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the premise of the game is about literal "survival" and scavenging which doesn't come across in the lower difficulties. Supplies are actually limited and you have to be careful with how you see resources. On anything below hard you can essentially play the game as a shooter which isn't particularly great.
Bricks and bottles are like the most valuable thing on the harder difficulties lol, it really makes you appreciate what you can get and want to preserve things.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just watched the story on YouTube. Pretty simple but the characters pull it off! It's not a genre for me in terms of gameplay but I had become really curious after reading about all the hype for Part 2 here on Era. Definitely gonna be checking out the sequel

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
That's pretty much right, though there's a meatiness to it in TLOU compared to UC4 that I really like.

Yeah, at some point there are different aims to the gunplay, quality aside. TLOU is about "making every shot count". Uncharted is about moving and rolling, and sometimes spraying and praying, and swapping and uh... dropping... on enemies from above. More heightened action with less weight.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Haven't played survival but I imagine I'd find it intensely irritating.

For a game that has such good characters and writing I can't be bothered to deal with high HP enemies or scarcity of resources obstructing me from proceeding.

If I want actual an actual challenge I'm just gonna play a multiplayer game. That's not what I play my SP games for.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

For a game that has such good characters and writing I can't be bothered to deal with high HP enemies or scarcity of resources obstructing me from proceeding.

If I want actual an actual challenge I'm just gonna play a multiplayer game. That's not what I play my SP games for.

But the "challenge" is what facilitates the entire premise of the game. It makes zero sense for the lore of the world to have ammo and health packs everywhere. Bullet sponge isn't an issue because you're meant to either avoid, stealth kill or headshot enemies on survivor.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France

Pretty sure enemies take the same amount of damage.

Scarcity isn't about preventing your progress, it's about making sure you're careful about how you're going to approach encounters. Every little thing in your inventory becomes important, which is exactly how it would feel in the context of this universe. That's why playing on hard and above feels so great.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My brother had a similar experience. I told him for years that he should play this game, but he didn't care. He wasn't immediately into the game after how much I hyped it up. He finally gave it a chance when the Remastered edition was released on PS Plus, and he fell in love with it this time.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure enemies take the same amount of damage.

Scarcity isn't about preventing your progress, it's about making sure you're careful about how you're going to approach encounters. Every little thing in your inventory becomes important, which is exactly how it would feel in the context of this universe. That's why playing on hard and above feels so great.
The utter lack of combat and hunting knives is a little suspect as the way to facilitate the shiv mechanic. Also grounded is a little silly where you are killing people with guns who don't drop a single bullet unless you trigger the low ammo mechanic.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
But the "challenge" is what facilitates the entire premise of the game. It makes zero sense for the lore of the world to have ammo and health packs everywhere. Bullet sponge isn't an issue because you're meant to either avoid, stealth kill or headshot enemies on survivor.

I don't think I'd ever be able to suspend my disbelief during gameplay in a game like this anyway though, so I'm willing to have the unrealistic amount of ammo.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The utter lack of combat and hunting knives is a little suspect as the way to facilitate the shiv mechanic. Also grounded is a little silly where you are killing people with guns who don't drop a single bullet unless you trigger the low ammo mechanic.

I guess a knife mechanic would make more sense yeah, but I was never big on shivs anyway. I used most of them to open cache doors and the rest of the crafting materials to make nail bombs or upgrade melee weapons.

Grounded isn't my favorite, I think survivor is the sweet spot.

Same with uncharted, highest difficulty is the way to go

Hell no. Uncharted on Crushing fucking sucks

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I guess a knife mechanic would make more sense yeah, but I was never big on shivs anyway. I used most of them to open cache doors and the rest of the crafting materials to make nail bombs or upgrade melee weapons.

Grounded isn't my favorite, I think survivor is the sweet spot.

Hell no. Uncharted on Crushing fucking sucks
I'm pretty sure there isn't enough material to make shivs for all the doors on Grounded. I had to use the infinite shiv glitch.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
TLoU is a game that my love for grew the more time I spent away from it. Not that I didn't like it when I was playing it, but the more I thought about the game after my playthrough, the more I realized how honest and impactful and intense it was. And then repeat playthroughs just made me like it even more. Keep playing OP, it's an absolute gem.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Are you still in the Summer region OP or beginning of Fall? It really kicks into high gear starting with the end of Fall and really becomes great story wise

Sep 21, 2019
It is my favorite GOAT and features the best ending in video game history, imo.

Like a masterpiece of film, it rewards repeat playthroughs with its nuance and amazing characters.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I just think it's poorly paced and way too tutorialish before bills town. From Bills town forward it's pretty damn good.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
After all this The Last of Us Part II news, I decided to replay the game with my partner (finally convinced by all the sequel hype to experience the original game). We've finished the game on the normal difficulty and while it was amazing to (re)experience the story, the gameplay did feel a bit flat. I then randomly decided to start a Grounded mode playthrough (I did finish many years ago the game on Survivor on PS3, but have little recollection of it) and oh boy it enhanced everything a million times. My partner was glued to the screen the entire time even though we've just finished the game right before (in fact even more so than our previous playthrough). There were certain frustrating parts, but it did make me question if I should maybe play the most difficult option available when the sequel comes out.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with everything your say OP. And I haven't played higher than normal.

Even on Normal, some parts I had to run because of no ammo.

Mar 29, 2018
I just think it's poorly paced and way too tutorialish before bills town. From Bills town forward it's pretty damn good.
Watching a completely new first time gamer playing it, as I did this year, you understand why it's so tutorial heavy. It's really hard to reinforce gameplay ideas and ensure people understand them before you proceed.

Seeing a first time gamer play it, you realise how impeccably well designed it is