• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 20, 2017
https://forward.com/opinion/417179/...-on-bernie-sanders-campaign-and-no-one-cared/

The morning of the 2016 New York Democratic primary, a local voter named Ray came by Bernie Sanders' South Bronx campaign headquarters where I was volunteering. He asked for a few T-shirts from the campaign.

A few minutes later, in a back corner of the office where I had gone to fetch him the T-shirts, he stepped toward me, grabbed me by the back of the neck and began stroking me up then down from the back of my head to just under my shirt collar.
I froze, dumbfounded. Two or three long seconds later, I heard my own voice spit out one word: "Stop."

"Why?" he asked. "Because it feels good?"

He continued groping me until I pulled away, and sprinted back to my desk in the front of the office.

Ray took his time, though, leisurely ambling to the snack table to pick up, then unwrap, a lollipop. He sucked on the candy while he walked across the office toward the door. He whispered sexually explicit language in my direction as he passed me. Then he chuckled to himself until and left.

When he heard the words "sexual harassment," his boyish smile fell slack and his eyes grew wide. The campaign, he told me, had a zero-tolerance harassment policy. He told me I could fill out an incident report, and thanked me for bringing the matter to his attention. Then he asked me who had done it.

When I told him it was Ray, the guy who had come in to get the shirts, he appeared flummoxed.

"If it was a voter who harassed you," he said, wrinkling his brow, "then there's really nothing we can do."

I was stunned. I told him I was sure that a national campaign like this one would certainly want — and was likely required by law — to make some kind of record of any harassment incident. I also warned him for his own benefit that telling someone reporting harassment that "there's nothing we can do" is a huge liability for his organization, and a recipe for getting fired from any job.

He seemed to listen, but he never gave me the incident report. Before I left for the day, as a consolation, he offered me his email address and told me to send him my account of the event so he could pass it on to his supervisors.

I sent the email and never heard back from him or his boss.

I scoured the internet to find the Sanders campaign's harassment policy, and found nothing. I searched in vain for a name and contact information for some type of human resources person; also nothing.

After a few hours of frustration, I decided to reach out to the supervisor of the staffer I had told, whom he had promised to forward my complaint to. But when I searched online, it was impossible to find out his name or title. So I decided to call or email someone over his head, but again my search met the same dead end.

Soon, I resorted to emailing random Sanders staffers—basically anyone whose email address I could find anywhere on the web. I tried a guy named Tony Anthony who was listed as Statewide Field Director on the website p2016.org, and another named Robert Becker, who, according to LinkedIn, was a Deputy National Field Director.
Each brief note I sent said the same thing: that I had been sexually harassed while volunteering for the campaign, and I wanted to report the incident to the proper person.

No one ever responded.

I wondered why I had never heard of this man. His name and title, let alone his role as harassment mediator, were nowhere to be found on the internet.

I called Robinson the next day and recounted my entire story—the harassment incident, the initial brush off in the Bronx and then the difficulty finding out any information about the campaign's harassment policy. He listened patiently and heartily apologized for my experience.

I asked him how often he deals with harassment cases within the campaign as the COO.

"All the time," he said.

He told me he considered himself a behind the scenes kind of manager. He liked it that way, and purposely kept a low profile.

I asked him about how he could adequately deal with harassment cases when no one could get in touch with him to report them.

He said the channels of communication must be working properly, because my complaint had gotten to the right person in the end: himself.

"You gave your complaint to someone, who passed it to someone, and it eventually got to Jeff Weaver who passed it to me," he said. "That's how it's supposed to work."
I went on to tell him that from my point of view, there appeared to be no process for reporting harassment, and that I intended to write a letter about my experience to the editor of my local paper.

Then things got a little tense. He interjected to assure me, once again, that there definitely was a harassment protocol, but he was sorry that, in my case, it looked like it had not been followed at the local, state, or national level of the campaign.

I asked Robinson to tell me what the policy was, and he declined. Then, I asked him if the harassment policy was publicly available, and he declined to answer yes or no.

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
I hope she gets Justice and Why is the MSM is treating this like a Bernie only problem and not an issue political campaigns like Hillary and Trumps also had to deal with?

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
If it was a voter who harassed her wouldn't the proper authority be the police?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It always seemed clear the "Bernie bro" culture seeped down from the top, so this awfulness isn't surprising.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I hope she gets Justice and Why is the MSM is treating this like a Bernie only problem and not an issue political campaigns like Hillary and Trumps also had to deal with?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it's weird for your first reaction to a sexual harassment allegation to be "why aren't they going after some other people instead".

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a job for the cops?

If I was working fast food and a customer said something inappropriate or touched me without consent I of course would tell management, but what management would tell me is "call the cops".

The chain should definitely not be so obtuse, that seems bizarre.

I hope she filed a report with the police and they looked into it.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Ultimately, there's not much the campaign could actually do besides ban the person. This would be the police's jurisdiction. I know it sounds like she expected more, but it's really out of their hands. This goes for any entity that interacts with the public.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Did you even read the article?

Last week, Politico uncovered an internal Sanders campaign document alleging staffers had botched addressing sexism and harassment in 2016. The New York Times followed up with a report that exposed other instances of sexual harassment, which had been poorly addressed.

I was not surprised.

. . .

While Sanders' new Senate campaign sexual harassment policy looks like a step in the right direction, I worry that this debacle could happen again.

Bernie Sanders himself still seems to regard sexual harassment in his campaign as a minor concern, which is the same problematic attitude I encountered when I tried to talk to his staff about it back in 2016.

"I was a little bit busy running around the country, trying to make the case," he told CNN's Anderson Cooper when asked why he didn't know about the allegations.

This answer is at once a weak excuse and a disturbing revelation, and it should call Sanders' leadership capacity into question among every Sanders supporter, myself included.

This isn't about the media. It's about people involved with the Bernie campaign speaking up in the hope that things might improve in time for another possible run.

Are people from the Hillary campaign similarly coming together? Is she likely to run again? Is the context even remotely the same?

No, no, and no. Screaming about the media and Hillary and whatever else in the face of all this is engaging in silliness.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Concerning, but unsurprising that the first post about harrasement in the Bernie campaign has this tone for the second time.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I sympathize with her, but I don't understand what she thinks the Sanders campaign can do to a potential voter who was not employed by the campaign.

I mean she can file a police report and I'm sure that the campaign would help corroborate, but beyond that there's nothing they can really do. It's outside their jurisdiction.

Edit:
While Sanders' new Senate campaign sexual harassment policy looks like a step in the right direction, I worry that this debacle could happen again.

Reading more closely, she was more concerned at the lack of a mechanism for reporting such a thing than the actual event. I hope that Bernie will have a more comprehensive strategy set up for 2020 if he runs.

He doesn't have the excuse of being a new underdog campaign anymore.

Last edited:

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it's weird for your first reaction to a sexual harassment allegation to be "why aren't they going after some other people instead".
Considering how hard the Bernie angle has been pushed since this story came out I disagree.

Last campaign I worked on a regular would come in almost daily to volunteer. One day...someone's laptop went missing and she was the only one who could've done it. She was told not to come back but ultimately there was no other action the campaign could take. Not to say that theft is comparable to sexual assault but rather there are very few actions that a campaign cake take against a non employee.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the MSM cover the issue with how Hillary herself poorly handled a sexual harassment situation in her own campaign? I don't think there's any favoritism going on here.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this situation sounds like police should have been involved. The abuser was a 3rd party, literally a voter off the street. They could have maybe required a male staffer to be present or hired security once the funds increased.

As far as infrustracture, Bernie's campaign started as a rag tag campaign that exploded. He had no idea things would get so big. As he stated, the infrustracture improved in '18 and will moreso in '20.
It always seemed clear the "Bernie bro" culture seeped down from the top, so this awfulness isn't surprising.
Tell em why you mad son.
Didn't the MSM cover the issue with how Hillary herself poorly handled a sexual harassment situation in her own campaign? I don't think there's any favoritism going on here.
Clinton actively protected that harasser iirc. There's a big difference.

Game2Death

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I hope everything works out the way the system should. But, It's just been article after article about attacks on Bernie lately.

Oct 25, 2017
So she was sexually harassed by a random customer who left quickly and her work place's response to the situation was too vague and unhelpful.

Well, at my work they'd take the report on HR file and support her in the process of taking it to the police, provide security camera footage if any existed, or just serve as a support contact if there was nothing to provide. Basic got your back kinda stuff.

Their flaccid response is definitely an area they could improve, and they probably will in response to this enlightening situation. But this seems like something the internet is trying to sensationalize so that they can type "sexual harassment" and "bernie sanders" in the same sentence.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They aren't. Hillary's shit was discovered and reported. Similarly, the Sanders' campaign's memo was discovered and reported, and now someone else with an experience that supports the reports is weighing in.

This wouldn't have been as big an issue if the campaign were competent and well-organized, just like how the story with Hillary wouldn't have been an issue if she didn't personally intervene to save the skin of her shitty creep of a friend. One was caused by a candidate hiring people who were bad at their jobs, the other was caused by a candidate being a bad person. If there's a bias in how the two stories were handled, I'm not seeing it.

Clinton actively protected that harasser iirc. There's a big difference.

Unless the stories falsely blame Bernie when he personally wasn't involved, what's wrong with the reporting here? His campaign handled these situations poorly because the people running it were incompetent. That's what's being reported and if you have something that blames him the same way Hillary was rightfully blamed then please link to it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I hope everything works out the way the system should. But, It's just been article after article about attacks on Bernie lately.

You guys are literally complaining about the fact that someone who was sexually harassed while involved with the Sanders campaign has been given a platform to talk about her experience dealing with the campaign's insufficient reporting infrastructure.

Again, have any of you even read the piece? It's a woman stepping forward and directly writing about her own experience.

And speaking of, the Politico piece related to staffers coming together to seek improvement internally; the NYT piece was a follow-up on that and fleshed things out. Some of the more discussion-y articles followed Sanders' somewhat clumsy response, in which he decided to be a little bit flippant and say he was "a little bit busy making the case"...

You guys really can't be this allergic to a little bit of scrutiny, particularly when so much of it relates to real efforts happening on the ground to make sure a potential 2020 run avoids these (incidentally, very real) issues.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Most of these articles are about the same problem! Is the media limited to just one story about sexual harassment on Bernie's campaign? Moreover, this whole thing blew up in the last couple weeks because former staffers from both the Sanders campaign and Our Revolution wrote a letter addressed to Bernie about these issues! Unless these were deep cover agents planted mainstream media outlets years in advance, this is a problem being brought to light entirely by the people who worked on his campaign.

It's not as if other 2020 candidates are getting a free pass either. Warren has been derided endlessly over the DNA test and her likability; Beto got caught in the crosshairs for taking donations from oil and gas employees; and just the other day CNBC ran a piece on Gillibrand designed entirely to reinforce the narrative of her being a Wall Street shill (another reminder that there should be no illusions of the media treating Gillibrand as anything but Hillary 2.0). So give me a break.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
So this was a 'random' who came in for t shirts?

I can understand concern over sexual harassment for people on a campaign but this seems like a police matter?