• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/03/01/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-march-5-2019/

The Drop: New PlayStation Games for March 5, 2019
Posted by Justin Massongill Social Media Manager, SIEA

Puyo Puyo Tetris
PS4 — Digital

46328192705_5741655cd5_z.jpg

Puzzle game juggernauts Tetris and Puyo Puyo collide to create a fast-paced, competitive party game like no other! The game offers tons of gameplay styles — from single-player Adventure and Challenge modes to ferociously competitive Arcade modes — for tons of Tetris/Puyo variety.

It is March 6th. Where have all the Puyos gone? I am not playing a Frantic Four-Player Puzzle Mashup.

I am staring a screen that reads:

You Searched For: puyo puyo tetris
0 Matches
Game | 0 Results

Why have you forsaken me, Justin Massongill? Was it because kids teased you in school about your name, since it's sort of like Massengill, and you thought to yourself, "When I grow up, I'll get a job writing for the PlayStation Blog. And then, I'll write a fake post about Puyo Puyo Tetris getting a digital release on the PSN store. That'll show 'em. That'll show 'em all!"

Or, it is you, Sega, that is perpetuating liiiiiiiiiiiiieeesssss? Needed something to distract from the awful reception of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie reveal, did you? "Quick, put out that Puyo Puyo Tetris is getting a digital release, even though it's not!"

All I wanted was to play some Puyo Puyo Tetris on my PS4 without having to insert a disc.
And you've denied me that.
For no apparent reason.

I hope you're happy.

:(

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually annoyed by the same thing :(

Trophies are a pretty good excuse to 100% it all over again.

tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017
It says its for games on March 5th. Everywhere in the world it is at least March 6th. Thus, the games in this list should be available. It's not about weeks at all.

Yes, but who's to say there wasn't an error in their post regarding "next week"? This week still isn't out, so I'd hold my horses and wait it out. Not like we don't have other games to play right now, right?

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Wait, this game has been out on PS4 for a while now. Are you telling me, it wasn't available digitally? How does that even make sense?
Edit:
"A downloadable version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is not available for PS4 because The Tetris Company currently has an exclusive license with another partner for PS4 downloads," a spokesperson for the Tetris Company told USgamer.

Now that I've read this, I remember hearing about this, which is why Tetris games get delisted a lot.
Crazy.
Are there any Tetris games available digitally on PSN right now?
Also, is PPT still available digitally on switch at the same time as Tetris 99???

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this game has been out on PS4 for a while now. Are you telling me, it wasn't available digitally? How does that even make sense?
The Tetris Company has weird guidelines, like only letting one version of Tetris on digital stores at a time, and Ubisoft had their own Tetris game up before anyone else. This looks to have changed relatively recently (since Tetris Ultimate and Tetris Effect were up simultaneously) - also, Tetris Ultimate was delisted last month.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Tetris Company has weird guidelines, like only letting one version of Tetris on digital stores at a time, and Ubisoft had their own Tetris game up before anyone else. This looks to have changed relatively recently (since Tetris Ultimate and Tetris Effect were up simultaneously) - also, Tetris Ultimate was delisted last month.

The Switch also now has Tetris 99 and PPT on the eShop, so hopefully this means the ridiculous "one digital game at a time per platform" policy is dead for good.

S2PID

Oct 31, 2017
I'm starting to think the one digital game per platform policy must've been something Ubisoft specifically asked for.

Anyways, welcome to the daily life of western Puyo™ fans :)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I wonder if Nintendo could relist GB Tetris on 3DS, and if they care enough. They did relist DKC on Wii when it came to Wii U, so it's not like there are no chances.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It could be coming out this Friday. Maybe today. Or tomorrow...

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Still physical (and Japan) only on Xbox. The way they've handled this game is really strange.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it was my first puyo puyo game and the campaign is just batshit crazy. i need to finish it. hopefully it's coming soon digitally, i always thought it was just crazy that the game couldn't be released digitally on ps4.
also they need to bring the xbo version over too.

Also, is PPT still available digitally on switch at the same time as Tetris 99???
yeah

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
but it's already out in the EU, is this a reissue?
So it is not out yet?
I wanted to buy it god damn it...

Edit: wait it is out in Europe?
It is out in Europe only physically!

The digital version will arrive in EU and US for the first time in March 8th.
Sega didn't had the license to release a digital version, only physical. Now it has the license.

I think that this is also the first time that The Tetris Company allows multiple digital versions of Tetris to be on online stores (Tetris Effect and Puyo Puyo Tetris on PSN).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this means they'll bring over the Xbox version from japan. There's no tetris on Xbox now.
hopefully. the port is done, the localization is done, there's 0 reasons to not put it on the platform, at least as a DL only game.

I think that this is also the first time that The Tetris Company allows multiple digital versions of Tetris to be on online stores (Tetris Effect and Puyo Puyo Tetris on PSN).
not the first time since as of the february direct both ppt and tetris 99 are available digitally on the eshop.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/03/01/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-march-5-2019/

The Drop: New PlayStation Games for March 5, 2019
Posted by Justin Massongill Social Media Manager, SIEA

Puyo Puyo Tetris
PS4 — Digital

46328192705_5741655cd5_z.jpg

Puzzle game juggernauts Tetris and Puyo Puyo collide to create a fast-paced, competitive party game like no other! The game offers tons of gameplay styles — from single-player Adventure and Challenge modes to ferociously competitive Arcade modes — for tons of Tetris/Puyo variety.

It is March 6th. Where have all the Puyos gone? I am not playing a Frantic Four-Player Puzzle Mashup.

I am staring a screen that reads:

You Searched For: puyo puyo tetris
0 Matches
Game | 0 Results

Why have you forsaken me, Justin Massongill? Was it because kids teased you in school about your name, since it's sort of like Massengill, and you thought to yourself, "When I grow up, I'll get a job writing for the PlayStation Blog. And then, I'll write a fake post about Puyo Puyo Tetris getting a digital release on the PSN store. That'll show 'em. That'll show 'em all!"

Or, it is you, Sega, that is perpetuating liiiiiiiiiiiiieeesssss? Needed something to distract from the awful reception of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie reveal, did you? "Quick, put out that Puyo Puyo Tetris is getting a digital release, even though it's not!"

All I wanted was to play some Puyo Puyo Tetris on my PS4 without having to insert a disc.
And you've denied me that.
For no apparent reason.

I hope you're happy.

:(
They're the good guys, OP. They wanna save you from bad games :P

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sega didn't had the license to release a digital version, only physical. Now it has the license.

Ah I see.

I went to check for it but I couldn't find it. Bring on Friday!

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

weird! weird and silly. I love this game and everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy it.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
hopefully. the port is done, the localization is done, there's 0 reasons to not put it on the platform, at least as a DL only game.

not the first time since as of the february direct both ppt and tetris 99 are available digitally on the eshop.
You're right! How could I forget the Switch version of PPT, lol.
Now if only Nintendo re-listed GB Tetris on 3DS...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this means they'll bring over the Xbox version from japan. There's no tetris on Xbox now.
That was my first thought. Xbox One was suppossedly skipped due to the high minimum orders required (although PPT ended up selling huge in the west anyway) but if they can do a digital release now why not?

Actually they could do 3DS too yet. It's late but hey, it's Atlus.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
That was my first thought. Xbox One was suppossedly skipped due to the high minimum orders required (although PPT ended up selling huge in the west anyway) but if they can do a digital release now why not?

Actually they could do 3DS too yet. It's late but hey, it's Atlus.

I would get both, even though I already imported the Xbox version from Japan. But of course it won't happen.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they'll also put in the JP audio in the Switch and PS4 versions since it was only in the PC version for whatever reason.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have this on switch and it's completely unfathomable to me how to get good at puyo puyo.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Ironically, I spent 10 hrs on the demo on the eShop, but when I got the game I only played 5ish hrs. I had other games too, but I didn't play anything outside vs mode against CPU.

Oct 29, 2017
It's Ubisoft/Tetris Company's fault. That's why it never got an English localisation to begin with.

It was only thanks to a loophole that we got it at all!

Take it up with the Tetris Company and their idiotic licensing model.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's Ubisoft/Tetris Company's fault. That's why it never got an English localisation to begin with.

It was only thanks to a loophole that we got it at all!

Take it up with the Tetris Company and their idiotic licensing model.
????

What the hell do I have in my North American Switch collection that features English voice acting??

Oct 29, 2017
????

What the hell do I have in my North American Switch collection that features English voice acting??

That's the loophole. The licensing agreement only covered then-current platforms (3DS, Vita, Mobile, Wii U, Xbone, PC, PS4). Ubisoft were granted an exclusive license to all Tetris releases on all then-currently available platforms (and under the Tetris Company's licensing model; while one publisher holds the Tetris license, no other publisher is allowed to be actively selling any other Tetris releated product).

Of course, Switch didn't exist when Ubisoft were granted the Tetris license and so, the platform was immune to Ubisoft's stranglehold on the license. Which is why SEGA bothered to port the game to Switch in the first place; it was the only way they could release the game physically outside of Japan.

This licensing model is also the reason why you constantly see Tetris games getting delisted from digital storefronts.

coma

Oct 28, 2017

I'm sure they don't think it would sell well on Xbox, but considering they have the ability to sell it digitally in the U.S. and that the game was already ported and released on Xbox in Japan, I don't get what possible reason they could have to not put it out. So weird.

Got the completion already on the import, but would be nice to have it in English.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
I literally ordered the physical version this month for ps4
been playing it and its great, but it sucks you can't get the game digital
never mind I have reading comprehension issues

DIGITAL RIGHT AFTER I BOUGHT PHYSICAL THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING

Last edited: