• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I was on hold for 30 minutes on Black Friday a couple years ago. The person hung up and when I called back I got the same exact person again, and they hung up immediately.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I worked in a call center once. IT was able to determine if you hung up on a caller and people were fired for doing so.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
This happens at my job daily. Especially when calling lein holders. Also -20 points if you stick to the default Opus #1 default Cisco hold music. Die in a fire.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a region case manager for one of the major automobile companies. If they didn't call you back, they're awful at their jobs.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I worked in a call center once. IT was able to determine if you hung up on a caller and people were fired for doing so.

Are they able to determine how long a customer was put on hold?

I've had this happen to me a couple of times, I think both times AT&T. I have no idea how to get accountability either, unless they've already opened up a case and you happen to remember the number (because god forbid they're able to look it up since it's linked to your account).

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Anyone else ever had amazing experiences like this when placed on hold? I'm literally so happy right now
i work in a call center 9/10 times they did not hang up on you the phone system kicked you off whether it was your phone or theirs. Trust me anyone who values their job will not hang up on you.

If they have a decent phone system, absolutely. Management was always aware of a tech's average hold times and they could even check individual calls.

Where i work they store every call log time and date and can even see everyones current time in the ongoing call and if its busy they will come up to you if your time exceeds 20 minutes.

Reflex

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
ya i don't attribute it to malice i called customer service once for sort of an edge issue and they had trouble figuring out which department to transfer it to and it dropped the call. just call back put your phone on speaker and do other stuff while your wait.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
i work in a call center 9/10 times they did not hang up on you the phone system kicked you off whether it was your phone or theirs. Trust me anyone who values their job will not hang up on you.
This. My company, also a call center, takes exquisite records. You have to manually end an interaction after the call ends and after you take notes on the all and they will see if you took notes, if so, what they were, if you ever created a case, where the survey went, if you diverted the survey and why, how long it took you to do your notes and end t he interaction, how long the call was, who hung up or disconnected, what time it was, how long the hold time is, and finally, the full record of the entire call kept for a full year.

Phone programs aren't perfect and neither are the servers, so sometimes we drop calls.Probably happens once a month.

I have never hung up on someone no matter how much of a prick they are, I just kill them with kindness -- not because they tell us that's what we're supposed to do, they want us to deescalate -- but because I get sick satisfaction at the building impotent rage on the other end of the line when I tell them what they don't want to hear. Nicely.

We're also supposed to warn people not to swear on the phone or else we will disconnect but I don't do that either unless it's properly directed at me in an offensive way.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
This happened to me when I called apple, but I was on hold for like 7 minutes

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
One time I asked the lady how her day was going at DIRECTV and she broke down crying. She was so happy for someone just to ask. These people get treated like shit

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
lol yeah thats happened to me before

whenever im on hold i put the phone on speaker and go about doing whatever around my apartment. i never call jsut to sit there on hold

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
If they have a decent phone system, absolutely. Management was always aware of a tech's average hold times and they could even check individual calls.
This. My company, also a call center, takes exquisite records. You have to manually end an interaction after the call ends and after you take notes on the all and they will see if you took notes, if so, what they were, if you ever created a case, where the survey went, if you diverted the survey and why, how long it took you to do your notes and end t he interaction, how long the call was, who hung up or disconnected, what time it was, how long the hold time is, and finally, the full record of the entire call kept for a full year.

Phone programs aren't perfect and neither are the servers, so sometimes we drop calls.Probably happens once a month.

I have never hung up on someone no matter how much of a prick they are, I just kill them with kindness -- not because they tell us that's what we're supposed to do, they want us to deescalate -- but because I get sick satisfaction at the building impotent rage on the other end of the line when I tell them what they don't want to hear. Nicely.

We're also supposed to warn people not to swear on the phone or else we will disconnect but I don't do that either unless it's properly directed at me in an offensive way.
We can offer to end the call if they are belligerent or make you feel threatened but rarely is it ever needed

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was on hold for a company for 3 hours on Black Friday once and the answer was "we don't know how to change shipping address so call back and ask to cancel the order and then reorder it."

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I once spent 6 hours trying to get a human at at&t. When I did it took another dozen calls and another 6 hours to get what I needed taken care of.

Don't support at&t guys.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Called the Social Security Admin, told my wait time was 1 hour. This was at 3. 4:55 rolls around and I got hung up on.

Never call the SSA after 3.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Yes.

I was calling my ISP about a problem. This was back in the day. It was a small company.

Was still on hold. I was pissed. Got in my car, drove over to their offices - still on hold - and walked into the office of the person I was supposed to be talking to.

She was at her desk doing nothing. The phone was off the hook on the desk.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waited 1h45m on hold twice to talk to Qantas today only for them to be entirely useless. I haven't been on hold for that long... ever.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
happened to me just today

i was trying to confirm receipt of some documents from a vendor after some lady from there left me a voicemail
on my cell line
with attitude
because she e-mailed me some shit that i requested last week

but i'm a professional, so i call them back this morning to thank them for sending it over
then i get put on hold for a few mins before the line just goes silent
fuck 'em, got what i needed

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me any my parents have had experienced Comcast hanging up on us. Most recently today, I was on the phone with with my mom and Comcast, my mom is elderly so people need to be more patient with her but this support person who was trying to help her with getting her laptop connected to our home's WiFi seemed to give up after trying to help my mom 6 times, heard the support person say "I can't deal with shitty people like you, goodbye" and hung up.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Often enough it's just a wrong button. I worked in a call center and we had a lot of calls, we had to accept each call individually and sometime you'd be so stressed you'd just hit the wrong button by accident.

But there also were times when I hung up on asshole customers after putting them on hold.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Call back. When you get through complain about the 30 minutes hold time and being hung up on. Claim financial loss for the call. They should, depending on the company, cover the cost of your call to resolve the complaint.