• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I grew up primarily in the mid-2000s on hip hop, R&B, pop, and smatterings of classic rock whenever the radio would put me on.

Tonight, I was listening to random Apple Music radios when I came across two songs that popped up when I mistapped rock instead of hip hop.

Damn, these songs are GOOD. I feel like I missed out on an entire genre.

what other songs did I miss?!

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins. Here's one song from the album.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The obvious choice is Nirvana because Pixies were a big influence on Kurt Cobain and then Dave Grohl formed the Foo Fighters after he died. From there, I would check out the rest of the big grunge bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, etc. Pixies were more of an 80's band though, they got grouped together with some other alternative bands as "college rock".

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
If you dig The Pixes you'll like the Toadies. They're basically the Texas Pixies.

Of all the Seattle bands my favorite is Alice in Chains:

Some awesome alt-rock ladies out there too like PJ Harvey:

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The obvious choice is Nirvana because Pixies were a big influence on Kurt Cobain and then Dave Grohl formed the Foo Fighters after he died. From there, I would check out the rest of the big grunge bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, etc. Pixies were more of an 80's band though, they got grouped together with some other alternative bands as "college rock".

Can't talk about any of this part of 90s music without Seattle grunge. Look into all of the bands listed.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
One option: get the soundtrack from the early '90s movie Singles. I was a pre-teen when that came out, and it was an all-in-one grunge primer CD. Made me want to get pretty much every band on it, including Smashing Pumpkins, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, and two bands I'll pull out as YT embeds. First is Screaming Trees, whose lead singer Mark Lanegan still makes a ton of music, but you'll wanna go with their song from Singles:

Mother Love Bone was the progenitor for a ton of the Seattle Sound, and this 8-minute blend of two songs is... it's so damned good:

(The movie isn't really that good. But I live in Seattle and love connecting this film to places they filmed here.)

Oct 27, 2017
Post-hardcore had its golden period in the 90s.
Drive Like Jehu
Polvo
Unwound
Shellac
Don Cabellero
Jawbox
Rodan
Slint
At The Drive In

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I can't think of a more '90s song than Dishwalla's "Counting Blue Cars."

Better Than Ezra's "In the Blood" is also a favorite of mine (and far better than their big hit "Good" imo):

Last edited:

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
people plugging pavement and slanted and enchanted is one of the greatest albums of all time. I agree.

but this is one of my favorite breakup songs of all time:

edit: I guess no one said slanted and enchanted but I just assumed
edit again:
Smashing pumpkins. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.
if I could wear out a cd I would've worn out siamese dream

Last edited:

Mr.Arrow

Dec 6, 2018
Pavement
Dinosaur Jr
Sonic Youth
Sebadoh
Smashing Pumpkins
Ween
Mr.Bungle

all of these bands are great

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
The massively underrated The Afghan Whigs.

Gentlemen album first, then the rest from that era.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Posies
Mercury Rev
Yo La Tengo
Pinback
Les Savy Fav
Mew
Sun City Girls
Kasabian

For a few lesser known or indie rock, indie alt, etc

Last edited:

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Post-hardcore had its golden period in the 90s.
Drive Like Jehu
Polvo
Unwound
Shellac
Don Cabellero
Jawbox
Rodan
Slint
At The Drive In

This poster gets it, add in Swirlies, Duster, Codeine, Hoover etc. You could literally trawl and plumb the depths of the 90s underground forever. And then theres the emo side of the things. I will forever love Polvo

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Seconding the classics - Pixies, Sebadoh, Pavement, Sonic youth

one hit wonder : Drop nineteens - Delaware

Also the early albums by Mercury Rev are weird and cool - crazy mix of saturated guitars, trumpets and pan flute...

Oct 27, 2017
Best band from the 90s was/is Alice In Chains. Listen to their albums "Dirt" and "Jar of Flies"

some other good stuff:

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
White Zombie's La Sexorcisto and Astro Creep 2000 are pretty essential, as is Nine inch Nails entire 90's output.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You never listened to Everlong? That's impossible.

Anyway you should listen to Ok Computer i think. It's my personal favourite from Radiohead and it's my de facto 90's feel.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Oh do you mean you were too young in the 90s?
I was barely lucid in the 90s, but not because I was too young.
You should check out the melvins. Their album stoner witch is amazing.

You put up some pixies I love them. You might like albums from members of the pixies.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
How about some modern songs that have a 90's vibe?

As I've grown older I've also grown to love this sound more and more. It's so raw and nostalgic.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
You missed Siamese Dream, the greatest album in my opinion. That guitar tone is out of this world.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Please at least throw in some Primus, but only Seas of Cheese or Frizzle Fry. And sprinkle in some Too Much Joy, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, and Wonderstuff.

Id go easy on the grunge... mebbe Faith No More's Angel Dust if youre feeling adventurous.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
I consider the 90s to be the start of the alt rock genre but what do you call bands of the 80s like The Smiths, REM? I guess they're still alt-rock but I don't remember that term being used in the 80s. Maybe Indie rock?