• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been my biggest complaint with the company. I really like Phil's stances, but I don't care for some of the folks they legitimize and engage with given the direction he supposedly wants gaming to go. Good idea though, OP.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there should be any hesitation or uncertainty in calling out Microsoft for their tacit approval of bigots on social media. That's about all we as the general public can directly do regarding them or any other corporation.

And I'm sure everyone knows this but it's always worth repeating that it's important to indirectly impact these behaviors by voting for and supporting politicians who are willing to take these companies to task, because in the long run that is a much stronger means of changing corporate culture.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
It's always been my biggest complaint with the company. I really like Phil's stances, but I don't care for some of the folks they legitimize and engage with given the direction he supposedly wants gaming to go. Good idea though, OP.
Thanks!

If we all say something, even just an email or tweet to Phil or others at Microsoft/Xbox I think we can really change some things.

Or at least, maybe make them see the optics of the situation.

20/20 Hindsight is a mother...

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I think a lot of these problems come from the local divisions of Xbox and Playstation. But yoi had some good examples from Aaron for example.
Indeed, that PSP ad from Sony Norway is possibly the worst piece of advertising I've ever seen conceived (alongside some other extremely poor taste/misogynistic ones from Sony during the PSVita and PS3 era). This image remains eerie to this day.

sony-724850.jpg

And then you think about Nintendo's history w/ circling around the triforce/animal crossing > allowing inclusive and diverse options.

And it's the same things w/MS and Xbox, this really shouldn't be ongoign and directly hurts/goes against their recent efforts in marketing/social media and games/content as of recent. Same w/ Sony with the threadmarked post here, they should be called out and critiqued similarly.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of this kind of shit in general and try to bring up whatever bullshit whatever company is responsible for whenever the company is brought up.
I don't visit a whole lot of places beyond this one, but I spread it around wherever I may roam.

I'm gonna keep occasionally tagging @XboxP3 and @satyanadella about updates regarding Xbox Brazil's having cultivated a rotten culture and Microsoft benefiting from human rights violations until it's no longer necessary.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

If we all say something, even just an email or tweet to Phil or others at Microsoft/Xbox I think we can really change some things.

Or at least, maybe make them see the optics of the situation.

20/20 Hindsight is a mother...
No doubt, takes just as much time as fussing about it here, so I'm down. My old company was very feedback focused. It was to the point where we'd kind of suggest customers submit feedback they provided us themselves because it actually got things done versus us just speaking out internally.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
Thanks to all the great feedback everyone.

I'm happy to see such support for something this passionate for me.

We can give great feedback that can make Xbox better.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
With regards to the dealer situation, isn't it a Twitter post from 5 years ago? He used "gay" as an insult, or a derogatory term but not directing that insult towards anyone actually gay. I am in no way saying that is ok, or even saying this guy is a good person because he very well could be a bad person. But at some point, if someone recognizes their mistake and then openly apologizes it, while also showing change, then I think as a society we should begin the process of forgiving them, or the very minimum learning to accept. Just my opinion, I don't want to argue or debate about it.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really respect this. I'm cynical as hell about companies changing if their pocketbooks are not affected, but I'll always respect people trying to make a difference here, and agree that the grievances need to be at least signal boosted across the community.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
Really respect this. I'm cynical as hell about companies changing if their pocketbooks are not affected, but I'll always respect people trying to make a difference here, and agree that the grievances need to be at least signal boosted across the community.
Thanks for the support everyone.

I'm glad this topic is really inspiring people to reach out and better the gaming community.

No company is perfect, nobody is perfect, but we can work together to make things better.

This is a great opportunity for everyone.

Thanks for all the support.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is one of the few companies that has made any kind of response to the ASPI report listing Microsoft as one of the companies benefiting from the human rights violations being committed against Uighurs by the CCP, but that was over seven months ago, and I have no idea what has actually happened since.

So I would opt to include that in my communication with Microsoft.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
thanks for this thread dude. i really don't like to engage with Gamers or gaming culture due to their tendency to slip into console wars nonsense and therefore full on handwave racism and gross stuff with all manner of excuses. it's gotta stop, regardless of platform.

i'm a former Microsoft employee and i know they value the hell out of feedback. i know it seems as if you tell them a million times and they don't care but if there is a large, coordinated push you will make them care.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
Microsoft is one of the few companies that has made any kind of response to the ASPI report listing Microsoft as one of the companies benefiting from the human rights violations being committed against Uighurs by the CCP, but that was over seven months ago, and I have no idea what has actually happened since.

So I would opt to include that in my communication with Microsoft.
I appreciate this.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
thanks for this thread dude. i really don't like to engage with Gamers or gaming culture due to their tendency to slip into console wars nonsense and therefore full on handwave racism and gross stuff with all manner of excuses. it's gotta stop, regardless of platform.

i'm a former Microsoft employee and i know they value the hell out of feedback. i know it seems as if you tell them a million times and they don't care but if there is a large, coordinated push you will make them care.
Wow! Thanks! It's great to hear from someone who used to be on the inside.

Knowing that even just the tiniest amount of feedback can lead to real change is a big help!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Greenberg has been going on toxic fanboy's shows for a long time now, Ybarra did too when he was at Xbox. Phil does a good job of staying away from that crowd but as a whole they need to be more diligent about who in their community they decide to uplift. I get wanting to interact with and support their biggest fans that have a platform but there have to be better choices.

yeah I agree. It's weird to see those repeat interactions with the fans who place themselves , fully Armed at the front of the console wars.

I do think they have dialled it back more recently, I suspect they've made a concerted effort to do so.

I have heard back from Microsoft
OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
Hey everyone.

I've heard back from Xbox in a very private conversation that addresses many on my concerns.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Having your voice heard is important, and many times your concerns will be heard.

Always be the change you want to be.

However, as some have brought up to me, there is more that could be done.

I will not be closing the thread, but will instead ask the mods to change certain aspects about the thread and have this become a general thread that we as a gaming community can use to help curb and stop toxicity from spreading throughout the community.

I know me saying "Well, they talked to me. Case closed" is quite the change. I never expected to hear back from anybody.

To me, the address my concerns with both of the aformented situations in a way that I found satisfactory.

But be the change you want to be. Have your voice be heard.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone.

I'm closing this thread for a very good reason.

I've heard back from Xbox in a very private conversation that addresses many on my concerns.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Having your voice heard is important, and many times your concerns will be heard.

Always be the change you want to be.
Sorry, but that isn't good enough.

The point of all this is for this to be addressed publicly, not make promises in a private conversation.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
Sorry, but that isn't good enough.

The point of all this is for this to be addressed publicly, not make promises in a private conversation.
I understand. Then perhaps I will keep this thread open for other people who aren't as satisfied as I was after a private conversation for them to vent their frustrations and allow them to take the steps they want to take.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
PlayStation Russia has long supported Itpedia he is a blogger who incites hatred towards other people, but for some reason no one talks about it. He compares women who stream on Twitch to prostitutes. He calls the Xbox console for morons and calls all released Xbox consoles shit. He calls Xbox owners green scum. But PlayStation Russia interviews him and posts it on Twitter. Itpedia tweets a photo of Sony putting a verified user check mark on his PSN profile and boasts that not many people have it. He's been releasing hate videos for years, but the PlayStation supports him. I only have one question: why? Below and I provide links to tweets and a video on Russian language.
I can't create forum topics here yet, so if someone wants to cover this issue, you can create a topic.
PS: Sorry for my English I'm from Russia and I don't speak English very well.

And he has a lot of such hate-mongering videos.

I had no idea, thanks for bringing this issue

What he does is the exact same thing milgrau do

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
PlayStation Russia has long supported Itpedia he is a blogger who incites hatred towards other people, but for some reason no one talks about it. He compares women who stream on Twitch to prostitutes. He calls the Xbox console for morons and calls all released Xbox consoles shit. He calls Xbox owners green scum. But PlayStation Russia interviews him and posts it on Twitter. Itpedia tweets a photo of Sony putting a verified user check mark on his PSN profile and boasts that not many people have it. He's been releasing hate videos for years, but the PlayStation supports him. I only have one question: why? Below and I provide links to tweets and a video on Russian language.
I can't create forum topics here yet, so if someone wants to cover this issue, you can create a topic.
PS: Sorry for my English I'm from Russia and I don't speak English very well.

And he has a lot of such hate-mongering videos.

Sounds like something that deserves its own thread.

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
I had no idea, thanks for bringing this issue

What he does is the exact same thing milgrau do
Sounds like something that deserves its own thread.
This is why I have asked the mods to keep the thread open but retitle it when they get the chance. This extends past Xbox at this point and we as a community can help clamp down on toxicity in gaming in general by having our voices heard.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
tc, i'm glad you got some satisfaction, but it's strange to come tell us that if you can't explain

i mean, are you satisfied because xbox isn't doing as badly as you thought it was? the problem is solved?

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks OP, you are doing great work. Please don't close the thread, let others discuss it, especially MS has only promised so far, we haven't seen anything yet. This is also a great sign public pressure like this work.

I really think the Playstation Russia thing should be its own thread. There will never be a better time than this to push both these companies to be better socially than when they are about to launch their new consoles and they probably don't want bad publicity.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
PlayStation Russia has long supported Itpedia he is a blogger who incites hatred towards other people, but for some reason no one talks about it.
You answered yourself, this is a US-Centric forum and this is a situation happening on Russia, if Russian PS players don't bring this to atention then it is very unlikely for us to know, but thank you for doing it.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
This is taking a weird turn OP
As far as we know nothing has changed at MS, will they stop endorsing toxic fanboys? Will they make any changes at Xbox BR?

OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
This is taking a weird turn OP
As far as we know nothing has changed at MS, will they stop endorsing toxic fanboys? Will they make any changes at Xbox BR?
I have updated the threadmark. They have addressed both of these issues to me in a way that answered both of these questions in a satisfactory method.

However for many, that's not good enough. I hear them. Still have your voice be heard on social media. Email Sony. Email Microsoft. Email Facebook.

Be the change you want to be.

It can make things better. I know this now.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I have updated the threadmark. They have addressed both of these issues to me in a way that answered both of these questions in a satisfactory method.

However for many, that's not good enough. I hear them. Still have your voice be heard on social media. Email Sony. Email Microsoft. Email Facebook.

What changed?

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017

Maybe you should show a Mod the conversation just for clarification

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
Uhm... this turn seems super weird and like almost made up? you made this thread a day ago, you can't even say anything basic about what your conversation was about?
How are we supposed to trust MS or you for that matter right now? without any public statement from them as a company with actual real changes

Explanation and request for privacy.
OP
OP
UnderTheKillingSun
Jul 10, 2020
Umm did they threaten you or something? Lol

Blink twice if you're in trouble
What a strange thread
Uhm... this turn seems super weird and like almost made up? you made this thread a day ago, you can't even say anything basic about what your conversation was about?
How are we supposed to trust MS or you for that matter right now? without any public statement from them as a company with actual real changes
No I wasn't threatened.

This is what it boils down to:

One of the two emails I posted responded to me. We had a very nice conversation about my concerns.
It alleviated those concerns. To me, I had all the answers I needed.

Now for some that's not enough. Some will say I'm lying, some will say I've been threatened, some will accuse me of all sorts of bullshit.
I don't really care. I got the answers I wanted. I respect the privacy of myself and others not to post the conversation or further details.

I ask that you respect that privacy.

I think we can still use this thread to shine lights on issues of toxicity across gaming, and using some of the similar tools I posted we can make our voices heard.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You think it's difficult to believe that a company the size of Microsoft had a pRiVaTe cOnVeRsAtIoN with a total stranger in less than 24 hours (as long as he pinky promised to keep personal details safe) after he made a 2 page Resetera thread?
Some people are just too cynical, man.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So Xbox are going to stop supporting these racist/facist/misogynist assholes? Even though they've been doing it for years. Good to know they addressed these concerns in a private way. We don't need to know. I believe in Phil Spencer. /s

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
No I wasn't threatened.

This is what it boils down to:

One of the two emails I posted responded to me. We had a very nice conversation about my concerns.
It alleviated those concerns. To me, I had all the answers I needed.

Now for some that's not enough. Some will say I'm lying, some will say I've been threatened, some will accuse me of all sorts of bullshit.
I don't really care. I got the answers I wanted. I respect the privacy of myself and others not to post the conversation or further details.

I ask that you respect that privacy.

I think we can still use this thread to shine lights on issues of toxicity across gaming, and using some of the similar tools I posted we can make our voices heard.
Seems a bit unfair to make a well-detailed thread that is essentially a call-to-action for the entire forum (including posting twitter handles and emails of major Microsoft employees), but then, after having received a private update on the situation, refusing the share the outcomes of that discussion, and to instead have the thread pivot to identifying toxicity in all aspects of gaming culture (something this forum has a thread for each incident already generally).

I don't doubt that you're satisfied, but you called upon your fellow posters to help, and they may not get the same response. Couldn't you at the very least ask the person who responded to you if you could share the information, or if they have a plan of publicising it?

If they don't, then as far as the world's concerned, the controversy still exists and is not resolved, even if it may be for you.

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
Your explanation was not an explanation.
Did you make this thread just so you could A DAY later go "it's all good, no need to talk about these issues any more?"

How can saying what they told you about these issues be a matter of privacy?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I for one am glad OP got all of his questions answered and the problem of Xbox associations with the toxic part of their fanbase is solved.

Wrap it up folks!

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
As a POC I always saw playstation as a POC console. Twitter sure as hell made it even more clear recently.
I'm most likely wrong but thats just how I see things since the 00s.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a strange turn for this thread. I'm sorry OP but personally I much prefer individuals threads that shine a light in the various situations than this idea of a massive thread where things will be posted probably and quickly lost and forgotten. Also excuse for being EXTREMELY suspicious of this private conversation that you can't even talk even a tiny bit about.

Status
Not open for further replies.