• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
If you're going to say "if you don't like it, move out you baby," I don't want to hear it.

I'm thankful I have a roof to sleep under but honestly that's about it.

Before my dad died tbh she was a vile bitch. Like when I was in elementary I still remember this one time where she picked me up and I left my jacket at school and she's like "where's your jacket? You forgot it you MOTHER FUCKER???" And when I was a kid I was kinda fat and I remember when I'd wear shirts that were a little tight on me and she'd make a comment saying stuff like "ewwww your boobs..."

And for a few years afterwards she was still a vile bitch and was solely focused on herself and her needs

I still remember this one time where I was taking 16 units at school and I had 2 jobs (working around 35-40 hours a week), all with no car. I was about to leave the house to get a haircut, and she says "seriously?? You're supposed to be using that money to help ME!"

I was like "wtf?"

And when I started taking pills for ADHD (after being diagnosed by 2 therapists and a psychologist and a psychiatrist and having the highest possible Inattentive ADHD score) we literally got into hundreds of arguments because she wouldn't listen. She'd acknowledge that I've become a very different person (aka much more competent) but in the same breath claim that I don't need pills because her "friend" says the pills are bad and that she "read something" about ADHD pills.

Any time we have an argument, I feel like if I hurt her ego by what I'm telling her, she IMMEDIATELY resorts to "okay, then move out and see if you'll survive :) that's what I thought" or petty insults that don't make sense. I remember one time I guess she couldn't think of anything so she looked at my leg and saw a weird looking zit and said "what is that? How come I never get stuff like that??? what is wrong with you why are you like this???" Lol

The past couple of months I've barely been working (the hours at my job have been cut considerably bc of less business) but I'm starting school in 2 weeks.

Typically, even if I'm home all day I can still be productive. I'll clean my room, clean the house, take care of my dog, work on some project, study something, exercise, etc.

But since early December I haven't been that way. I think it's a combo of me not having much money plus probably just being holed up due to COVID. I've been a little down in the dumps DESPERATELY trying to snap out of it.

In addition, though, I have a very sensitive stomach. My mom tends to make and buy things that my stomach doesn't like. I have told my mom literally thousands of times to stop buying or making food for me but she'll still do it; I think it's because that's the only way she knows how to communicate.

Not through actual convos and expressing emotions in a vulnerable fashion but with food. It's a personal self control problem but when it's there when I'm feeling less mindful/depressed, I eat it, I start feeling like total ass, and then of course feeling like total ass means you can't be as productive as you'd like to be. That's not something she'll understand, bc she still tries to give my dog random crap if she thinks I'm not paying attention (she knows I get mad, but doesn't take it seriously even though she knows she's made our dog puke many times bc of what she's irresponsibly given her) and she'll leave food out overnight and wonder why she has a stomach ache.

So anyways, I haven't been feeling great mentally and physically. And of course my mom goes with calling me "lazy" even though a VAST majority of the time I'm busy and throughout most of last year I was working around 55 hours a week and coming home and still cleaning and cooking for myself and etc... She doesn't even try to see if there's anything wrong with me emotionally, shes just angry that I'm not being as productive as I usually am.

In fact I have never in my life used her as emotional support.

She constantly tells me to "grow up" (to a comical extent: one time I said something to her and she replied with "can you use words I understand? God, GROW UP!!!") but in the same breath always asks me for help on things. And if she senses that I'm in a good/patient/helpful mood, she will call my name and ask for help seemingly like every 10 minutes. Take off her shoes, take her laundry to her room, help her with this post, research this for her, get the keys from her car and get the mail for her, etc.

She gets mad if I don't do things she requests RIGHT AWAY.

She'll ask me to help her with her social media stuff and she'll get mad if I don't remember; she'll say that I'M supposed to remind HER??

If I've been acting a certain way recently she'll act as if I've been acting that way forever.

in fact she doesn't even let me have one day of feeling off. For example if I have a day where I run out of my medication I'll feel horrible and she'll be like "oh so without medication you can't function like an adult? Come on grow up"

She's asked for one-on-one hangouts literally hundreds of times and I haven't said yes to a single one. And yet she doesn't point the finger at herself. She doesn't ask herself "am I doing something that makes my son not want to spend any time with me?" She doesn't acknowledge that she's an insensitive bitch

She'll be a Noise Nazi and complain about any sound coming from my room but she'll also complain that my door is closed or locked. She doesn't even have a set sleeping schedule and a lot of times she'll wake up again around 3 AM watching videos on max volume but I still can't make a sound at night otherwise she'll blame me if she doesn't get proper sleep.

Another example of her being a Noise Nazi: a lot of times I like to exercise, and in my own room. If the noise is annoying, understandable. The problem is my mom doesn't have a set schedule. She will sometimes pop in at 12 PM, 1 PM, 3 PM, 4 PM, 7 PM. So when the fuck can I exercise? She'll text me while I'm exercising at 3 and she'll be like "seriously??? I come home and you're fking jumping??? Stop"

I've told her that I've basically had to raise myself and she's literally acknowledged it and agreed. She's given me the shelter and that's about it. She's been neglectful. Which is whatever I mean at least she EVENTUALLY acknowledges things even if that takes a lot of time and many petty insults hurled at me beforehand.

it's not entirely her fault; she's this way because that's what she learned from her mom. But it's annoying that she doesn't want to take the time to become more self-aware. She HAS improved a lot, to my surprise, but it's still not enough for me to enjoy her company. In fact last week she made me laugh and she's like "wow that's the first time I've made you laugh" if that's any indication of how much I enjoy being around her...

She doesn't point the finger at herself.

I've also told her that if I tell her I don't want to talk to her, it's for a good reason, and it's to avoid a shouting match. But EVERY time I do that, she takes it as a strike to her ego and she starts making loud passive aggressive remarks as I walk away.

She also always exaggerates. If I did something for 1 month, I've been doing it for 4 months. If I'm 20 I'm 22 (this one is odd to me; why does she always say I'm older than I am lol).

And it also bugs me that she basically always has this air of "hurry up and start making $$$" In fact every argument we have that basically comes up. I know she fucking HATES the fact that I've changed my major twice. She complains that my brother (who is now married and lives on his own) is still in the early stages of his business. It's like she's needy at heart but is trying to control it and it comes out when she's angry. But something tells me that if she didn't have this "hurry up and make money" attitude I'd probably actually be at that stage much sooner!

I'm just so frustrated with her. She doesn't take the time to understand me and she doesn't point the finger at herself.

I'm probably gonna lock this thread lol but I just wanted to air this out and not to my IRL friends

I think I'm just gonna have to accept that I need to just act how she wants me to act for a couple more years. She has the ability to self reflect and change but it's not enough for me like I just cannot stand her if I'm being totally honest with myself.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I think I'm just gonna have to accept that I need to just act how she wants me to act for a couple more years.
Don't

That sort of behavior sets you up for a life of disfunction. My wife's still working through moving beyond the way her mom treated her and still treats her after she moved out. The problem is that it's also manifested as similar behavior in her...she blames everyone else for everything. Just be cognizant of that and don't perpetuate the cycle.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Yikes. That must be very irritating, op. Hang in there and try to be patient and forgiving like jesus...and spend as much time away from her as you can to recharge your emotional batteries!

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
OP's story should be one of the biggest reminders to everyone that not all parents give a shit about their kids. There are bad mothers out there just like there are bad fathers.

You should also post your story on the subreddit called r/raisedbynarcissists if you happen to have a reddit account. There are stories on there that are very similar to yours.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
You need to accelerate your departure if possible, you can't fix narcissists it will never get better, you're doing what you need to do in your life, now get the hell out as fast as possible.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you feel better after that rant OP. You are in a shitty situation. I'm not gonna tell you to do or not do anything. Just hope getting it all out helped you feel better.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
OP's story should be one of the biggest reminders to everyone that not all parents give a shit about their kids. There are bad mothers out there just like there are bad fathers.

You should also post your story on the subreddit called r/raisedbynarcissists if you happen to have a reddit account. There are stories on there that are very similar to yours.
Whats the solution though if your mom is a tool?

The only thing I can think of is to find some great people in your life OP. Not everyone is a dumb asshole. There are good people in the world. I hope you get to have some in your life soon.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
All you can really do at this point is move out.

I'm sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear. I have been in your exact situation before (or one very similar) and I know moving out is hard or sometimes even impossible. But at the end of the day, it's the only real solution.

I'm really sorry you have to deal with this and hope you can find the means to move out ASAP. Try to spend as much time as possible around people who actually care about you in the meantime.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Some people shouldn't have kids. They simply aren't equipped (empathy and kindness for a start).

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ, do everything to get away from her. That's the only solution that will help. You're not going to change her.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry you're going through that. I know you don't want to hear that you should move out and for sure not now because of your work situation, but it seems like it would benefit you tremendously if you did.

it sounds like she needs real help from professionals to learn why her behavior is harmful to others. Whether she wants or gets that help idk, but once you can move out, doing so will start you both on the path to recovery.

good luck

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
While my mom was alive, I often wondered if I would be happier after she died.
Now that it has happened, I sadly have to say that my life and the life of others in my family are better without her.
She was a plain negative.

Some people are just like that.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Hey man we cannot choose our parents. My parents came to America before I was born and instilled in me a very asian culture of honoring and respecting your parents. But they absolutely deserve every ounce of it. So of course I carried that as I grew and had that expectations until I met friends and even my wife who in essence grew up in very toxic and broken homes. I learned that some people are just shitty people and do not deserve any of our time.

I can completely sympathize how terrible your situation is. And some of my friends and my wife have deep seeded issues that stems from thier upbringing that pop up from time to time. Like other said best is to do what you can to move.

Some people are not worth our time even if they are our parents. Some hope if you will, people can change. My father in law according to my wife was a terrible father. But the made amends, and watching them rebuild thier relationship have been awesome. He knows he fucked up and is doing everything he can make up for it. He is an awesome grandfather to our kids, and you can tell us trying really hard to genuinely build his relationship with his kids.

Her mom on the other hand has not changed and til this day have no relationship with my wife or grandkids. She only reach out when she needs money. My wife refuse to give her the time of day and I totally support her in that.

Oct 30, 2017
she is absolutely toxic, you need to get out of there asap. no need to cut ties, she is your mom after all, but seriously save up your money and move the hell out. you mentioned that your hours are cut plus you're a student, moving out is easier said than done, but let's talk small term goals and long term goals.

Small term:
finish school
save money (new or 2nd job if the first one has cut hours?)

Long term:
move out
become self sufficient
distance your relationship

consider roommates to split rent, best case would be friends. your first place doesn't have to be spectacular, just something you can use to get ahead in life 1 step at a time. it's a lot but make progress little by little and you'll find yourself there

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
OP, maybe get into therapy if you have insurance that will cover it?

If moving out now isn't possible, it could help you develop coping skills in the meantime and it sounds like something that will be beneficial in the long term anyhow.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a painful read. Hope you can move out someday not too far and fuck off because that sounds so unhealthy to be around all the time.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017

She's high on the narcissism scale for sure but I really don't think she's an actual narcissist.

I still remember this one time I texted her about what she was doing and she said "thank you for reminding me to not be like my mom" unfortunately that kind of behavior is not the norm for her

She's acknowledged that she was a bad parent, too. To my surprise. Although she acknowledges it and then frames it in a pity party sort of way

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
A parent calling their kid a mother fucker like that... dude you're not gonna find any apologists for that kind of behavior here. Do my kids infuriate me at times? Sure, but I would never call them mother fuckers. Especially not for something like forgetting a jacket. That's not even an active form of malicious behavior from the child. Children forget shit. Insane.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Family or not toxic people need to be removed from your life like a cancer. Period.

OP, do what needs to be done in order to achieve that.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
A parent calling their kid a mother fucker like that... dude you're not gonna find any apologists for that kind of behavior here. Do my kids infuriate me at times? Sure, but I would never call them mother fuckers. Especially not for something like forgetting a jacket. That's not even an active form of malicious behavior from the child. Children forget shit. Insane.
I forgot about this one time when I was like 5 years old and I remember being annoying and whining about wanting a specific food one day and her response was to scream and knock over every chair and table in the living room and kitchen.

She also used to destroy my room and tell me to clean it up lol

Thankfully she's greatly improved

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
She makes you take off her shoes?
The funny thing was this morning she claimed that I "live like I'm in a hotel" just because I hadn't taken my dog for a walk yet. Yet not once have I asked her to take off my shoes for me lol. And I clean my room every day and do my laundry and clean what I can so I'm not entirely sure where this "live like you're in a hotel" comes from

She doesn't ask me every day but yeah I take off her shoes for her when she's tired and laying on the couch

Mar 3, 2019
It will suck at first, but moving out is what you need to do. Prioritize finding a job/any job or use student loan money to help cover it and find a place cheap or someone to room with. The emotional relief will far outweigh the comforts/temporary financial hit

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Don't

That sort of behavior sets you up for a life of disfunction. My wife's still working through moving beyond the way her mom treated her and still treats her after she moved out. The problem is that it's also manifested as similar behavior in her...she blames everyone else for everything. Just be cognizant of that and don't perpetuate the cycle.
I've already started realizing that I've adopted a "robotic" emotional state most of the time. Which is VERY odd if you knew me personally. A lot of times I can't really tell if I'm happy or sad or angry or whatever. I think I'm like this because any time I'm not jolly and chipper my mom will make me regret it in one way or another. Like in a "you're depressed? HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME" sort of way

I'm mostly a "I'm never gonna be anything like my parents" type of person so if anything I usually try to give myself as much control over situations aka I try pointing the finger to myself as much as humanly possible if that makes sense lol. I've picked up some of her habits but I'll recognize them, get annoyed with myself, and work on stopping it

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a narcissist. I really suggest you
She's high on the narcissism scale for sure but I really don't think she's an actual narcissist.

I still remember this one time I texted her about what she was doing and she said "thank you for reminding me to not be like my mom" unfortunately that kind of behavior is not the norm for her

She's acknowledged that she was a bad parent, too. To my surprise. Although she acknowledges it and then frames it in a pity party sort of way
Yeah still sounds like she's a narcissist. She sees everything wrong that other people do and never realizes she's guilt of the same shit. I have narcissist relatives and the one thing I'll say is that everything you feel is valid and when you inevitably try to distance yourself from her, dont let guilt stop you from leaving.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like a narcissist. I really suggest you

Yeah still sounds like she's a narcissist. She sees everything wrong that other people do and never realizes she's guilt of the same shit. I have narcissist relatives and the one thing I'll say is that everything you feel is valid and when you inevitably try to distance yourself from her, dont let guilt stop you from leaving.
:(

but how can she be a full-blown narcissist if she can acknowledge stuff from time to time

OP, maybe get into therapy if you have insurance that will cover it?

If moving out now isn't possible, it could help you develop coping skills in the meantime and it sounds like something that will be beneficial in the long term anyhow.

Unfortunately my insurance is gutter trash and a therapy session is $60 if my insurance isn't being annoying (and it has a deductible of $5000...)

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
:(

but how can she be a full-blown narcissist if she can acknowledge stuff from time to time

Unfortunately my insurance is gutter trash and a therapy session is $60 if my insurance isn't being annoying (and it has a deductible of $5000...)
You said yourself that she frames it in a pity sort of way. She's seems to be using those nuggets of revelation as a way to separate herself from the bad behaviors she's guilty of. Like a flat earther making fun of qanon

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
You said yourself that she frames it in a pity sort of way. She's seems to be using those nuggets of revelation as a way to separate herself from the bad behaviors she's guilty of. Like a flat earther making fun of qanon
Well when u put it that way ur probably right

Again, she HAS improved but sometimes I wonder if that's just because her personal situation has improved.

I mean either way I know she has numerous narcissistic traits for sure so even if she's not a full blown narcissist she has a lot of "qualities" of one!

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
sorry but I didn't get through that super long post.

You can choose your family, don't think that since she's blood that means anything.

Choosing your mental well being and happiness (as long as it doesn't prevent someone else from getting theirs) is totally ok. Cutting her off as soon as you can is totally ok.

Hugs from me and all of us here :)

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
It is okay to acknowledge that you have been emotionally abused, OP. Please get some help sooner rather than later. Even if you're stuck in a bad situation, having a therapist or friend to rant to will help. Do not normalize your mother's horrid narcissism.

edit - let me add that avoiding interaction with her as much as possible will be the right way to go. Don't engage, don't get up in arms, just ignore and avoid as much as possible.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I feel you OP, I'm currently keeping my contact to my mom as a minimum just because every time you say anything to her, she always tries to turn the conversation about herself. I feel so sorry for my brother who's still living with her (he's desperately trying to move out though). She's generally just a toxic person to be around that gets livid about the stupidest shit. It also doesn't help that she has fallen down the worst pits of far right ideology thanks in part to the influences of Fox News and conservative talk radio. It's also impossible to talk about covid and whatnot around her as she continues to deny science and not apply critical thought towards statistics (this came to a front when I refused to come down for Christmas and she got pissed despite the fact I've told her time and time again it was to avoid endangering her and dad). Too bad she's now part of this obnoxious gun club who obviously does not respect guidelines, so she'll probably catch something from them at some point.

I remember she didn't always use to he like this. She was much more sound minded when I was a kid. I feel like it was around when we moved when I was 11 right as the housing crisis was going on, that that was when she began to lose her marbles. She used to have a decent sized friend circle but they have all since abandoned her as years went on, so as a result there were fewer and fewer people to counter her and keep her in check. Unfortunately my dad's very much a depressive pushover, so he never had the will to challenge her shitty ideas, and she very much wears the pants in the household despite him making more money. Granted, he also shares many of her shitty right wing values, but at least I can sense he still has a modicum of reason left as he'll at least listen to what you have to say whereas she will just fucking talk over you the whole time. She used to talk shit about her previous husband all the time about how he was abusive and whatnot and I used to be 100 percent on her side. Now I'm not sure since she also has a habit of fabricating stories. At this point my dad is basically just letting his life waste away with very little freedom thanks in part to this woman. I think he would be much happier in the long run if they never met (but then again neither I nor my brother would exist so idk).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The cruel reality of the world is that sociopaths have children, too. My relationship with my own parents is awful; or to be more precise, their relationship with literally every other single human being is awful and usually short-lived (they barely stayed together long enough to conceive me; I have no memory of them together), which unfortunately that means they latch on to those people that can't simply walk away from them. I know too well what kind of living hell living with such a person can be; I moved out at 27, and it still felt like fucking forever.

The only advice I can give you is to try to move out ASAP, perhaps throw out some feelers around to see if someone, ideally a friend, has a spare room they can rent for cheap. I guarantee it will make your life so much better overnight; although, word of warning, be ready for a lifetime of your mom guilt-tripping you for all she's done for you, and how you're not repaying it enough regardless of what you do.

That's something I know my mom would never do, so I guess mine is higher in the narcissistm scale. Like, she has never, ever, acknowledged being wrong in my lifetime, for anything, to anyone, ever. The most she's ever done when she's not confortable with the situation when someone is upset with her is the classical "I'm sorry you took it that way, it wasn't my intention" non-apology, in that hurt tone of voice that implies you're the awful person for thinking there may be any hurtful intent in her clearly hurtful words (and even that is rare; more often she just says she never actually said that, even when it's been barely days and there's multiple witnesses).

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
If it's any consolation, if you were to one day have any children of your own you can say she at least taught you what not to do.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would move far away & never speak to her or go near her again. Nobody needs to have someone so toxic & negative in their lives.

Yeah, enjoy the lifetime stigma, "they can't be THAT bad", "but they're your PARENTS" and suspicion that you're the broken / selfish one when you tell people you're not on speaking terms with your parents. Most people simply can't empathize and will think you're exaggerating.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
The cruel reality of the world is that sociopaths have children, too. My relationship with my own parents is awful; or to be more precise, their relationship with literally every other single human being is awful and usually short-lived (they barely stayed together long enough to conceive me; I have no memory of them together), which unfortunately that means they latch on to those people that can't simply walk away from them. I know too well what kind of living hell living with such a person can be; I moved out at 27, and it still felt like fucking forever.

The only advice I can give you is to try to move out ASAP, perhaps throw out some feelers around to see if someone, ideally a friend, has a spare room they can rent for cheap. I guarantee it will make your life so much better overnight; although, word of warning, be ready for a lifetime of your mom guilt-tripping you for all she's done for you, and how you're not repaying it enough regardless of what you do.

That's something I know my mom would never do, so I guess mine is higher in the narcissistm scale. Like, she has never, ever, acknowledged being wrong in my lifetime, for anything, to anyone, ever. The most she's ever done when she's not confortable with the situation when someone is upset with her is the classical "I'm sorry you took it that way, it wasn't my intention" non-apology, in that hurt tone of voice that implies you're the awful person for thinking there may be any hurtful intent in her clearly hurtful words (and even that is rare; more often she just says she never actually said that, even when it's been barely days and there's multiple witnesses).
I already know the guilt would eat me alive

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah, enjoy the lifetime stigma, "they can't be THAT bad", "but they're your PARENTS" and suspicion that you're the broken / selfish one when you tell people you're not on speaking terms with your parents. Most people simply can't empathize and will think you're exaggerating.

Well, if they can't understand what someone had went through with their parent(s) & want to automatically judge him or her for it without hearing the entire story, then they aren't worth talking to.

Last edited:

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
My mother was emotionally, physically, and spiritually abusive - reading your post legit reminded me of her so much that I could feel the tension growing in my chest.

I'm not going to tell you to just move out but I want you to know that when you do you're allowed to 100% remove her from your life. My mother is now only a "charming" little anecdote I share with others about how parents should not behave. I made my own family - she's not a part of it. And I'm 10000x better as a person than she could have ever hoped to be. I'm proud of myself for that and one day you'll be proud you escaped and made your own life for yourself as well.

And anyone who says mothers can't be abusive or "don't trust someone who doesn't love their mom" can fuck alllllllll the way off. You don't need that energy in your life.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
My mother was emotionally, physically, and spiritually abusive - reading your post legit reminded me of her so much that I could feel the tension growing in my chest.

I'm not going to tell you to just move out but I want you to know that when you do you're allowed to 100% remove her from your life. My mother is now only a "charming" little anecdote I share with others about how parents should not behave. I made my own family - she's not a part of it. And I'm 10000x better as a person than she could have ever hoped to be. I'm proud of myself for that and one day you'll be proud you escaped and made your own life for yourself as well.

And anyone who says mothers can't be abusive or "don't trust someone who doesn't love their mom" can fuck alllllllll the way off. You don't need that energy in your life.
I see shit like that on social media all the time and I immediately pin those kinds of people as total morons

Like, great, I'm happy for you that you have a mom that you love but realize that not everyone has a great mom

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well, if they can't understand what someone had went through with their parent(s), then they aren't worth talking to.

I wish it were that simple, but the problem is how hard it is to get across how sociopathic that person may be unless they experience it first-hand. Because everyone, to some or another extent, has conflicts with their parents, they will always look at yours through that same lens; that you have your own version of your interactions with them, your parent has another, and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Any outlandish episode is easily dismissed as exaggeration; a lithany of less dramatic but constant abuse reflect worse on your for holding so many grudges after all these years. It's very hard to get across that if anything, you're actually minimizing it all because, really, nobody wants to be that one guy with mommy issues.

If I had stopped talking to everyone that thought I was exaggerating at first, I would be literally alone in this world, including both of my SOs (both of which eventually profusely apologized for thinking I was exaggerating... once my mom went full mask off on them).

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
That's what I hate most to see, especially in others. My SO's sister is unfortunately another unrepentant, abusive, parasitical, downright evil sociopath turning both her parents and her life into hell, yet none can bring themselves to cut ties with her. :(
You know what's funny

My mom used to be incredibly helpless

One day I hammered into her that she's helpless and that it's pathetic. I told her that times have changed, that just because you're 60 doesn't mean your life is over. People are 80 years old running marathons, there's people who become actresses at the age of 80, etc.

The week after, I hear her listening to some podcast or whatever LITERALLY repeating what I just said "nowadays we have people running marathons at 80"

So you're welcome mom for being a positive influence đź’…

I just don't understand it. She asks me for help on stuff and asks me for ADVICE, too (such as how to lose weight, how to edit posts for social media, what she should do about this certain business thing or whatever), and then the next day it's like she forgets all of that and acts like I'm some helpless child?

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
.....I mean...

It really sounds like you should move out..
As much as you don't want to hear it, that's the best thing you can do for yourself here. It'll be the best for your mental health.
However, if you try to do so, expect your mom to try to pull every string in the book to stop you from doing so. Don't fall for it.
If you have any relative that's actually better than her or a friend that can give you a temporary roof, do it.
It's not healty for you to stay with her even through these "helpless" phases she's going through.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
As much as you don't want to hear it, that's the best thing you can do for yourself here. It'll be the best for your mental health.
However, if you try to do so, expect your mom to try to pull every string in the book to stop you from doing so. Don't fall for it.
If you have any relative that's actually better than her or a friend that can give you a temporary roof, do it.
It's not healty for you to stay with her even through these "helpless" phases she's going through.
I mean, when I wrote that in my OP, I meant like don't tell me to move out like I'm some ungrateful spoiled child

But yeah

Unfortunately I don't see myself moving out unless I take out loans which I won't do unless I see myself making good money in the near future. I've worked barely-above-minimum-wage jobs since I was 17 and I'm honestly fucking tired of that at this point