• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
i don't think my house has a crazy mold infestation or anything but I've noticed some sneaky signs of mold in my bathroom for instance

and for example I have one external ventilator that I've had for 3 months and I am honestly terrified of checking it to see if there's a shitload of mold in there

and now I'm paranoid like
"What if there's a slight mold smell and I don't even notice?"
"What if it's just within my walls and I can't tell that my house is a breeding ground for mold?"

And now I also feel stupid for only buying a humidifier and not coupling it with a dehumidifier (correcting that mistake tho, it's on its way)

Does anyone have mold busting methods they'd like to share

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fresh air, open your windows. Dehumidifier if your building needs it.

Bleach.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a damn can of mold killing/resistant paint or whatever to paint my bathroom ceiling but I haven't gotten around to it but it needs a good cleaning first. Recommendations? Skip the bleach/cleaner in my eyes and just paint over it or...?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a damn can of mold killing/resistant paint or whatever to paint my bathroom ceiling but I haven't gotten around to it but it needs a good cleaning first. Recommendations? Skip the bleach/cleaner in my eyes and just paint over it or...?

I used to live in a place where the ceiling above the shower was getting mold. First time I used some anti-mold paint it didn't work. Used another brand later and never had another problem.

That being said I'd say you have to have proper ventilation and heating. Let that fan running for a bit after turning off the shower.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure your bathroom fan moves enough air to properly vent your bathroom. There's some sort of CFM rating (cubic feet per minute) calculation that tells you what kind of fan is enough for your bathroom size.

Make sure the bathroom duct work is good too, and properly vents out of your house.

Oct 27, 2017
I just know last time I cleaned it, my eyes were burning and I was wearing safety glasses (not goggles). I probably screwed up there but I've been wondering if I could just paint over it or if that would be ineffective at "getting rid" of the problem. Keep meaning to research.

Edit: meant to quote Ether_Snake

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Pretty much all houses have some mold. Try to keep things as dry as possible and use vinegar. Bleach doesn't work.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just know last time I cleaned it, my eyes were burning and I was wearing safety glasses (not goggles). I probably screwed up there but I've been wondering if I could just paint over it or if that would be ineffective at "getting rid" of the problem. Keep meaning to research.

Edit: meant to quote Ether_Snake

Oh I used vinegar to wash the ceiling with some paper towels (didn't manage to get it 100% out, was still a bit faded), waited for it to dry, then just painted over it.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I used vinegar to wash the ceiling with some paper towels (didn't manage to get it 100% out, was still a bit faded), waited for it to dry, then just painted over it.
Ah, I'll see about trying that, thanks.

If only it was easier to have the wife take the kids out of here while I got this stuff done during a pandemic winter haha.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Fortunately, there's not a lot of evidence that mold can cause health problems. We do indoor air quality investigations at my job and go around the country doing mold inspections and we identify mold in every job we do. There is a constant (pretty high) level of mold in the air at all times. Most of the health problems we get called for (congestion, respiratory issues) are solved with a dehumidifier, not any significant mold remediation. General air quality parameters (CO2, humidity, temp) are the major issues that we can help fix. We do mold remediation where we tear out everything that has any mold on it (this is usually just because a leak or other water damage more than just mold) and we'll get a call back in a few months with the person complaining about the same stuff.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, I'll see about trying that, thanks.

If only it was easier to have the wife take the kids out of here while I got this stuff done during a pandemic winter haha.

Just tell them to use hand towels for a few days, it's worth it for their health.

dust fucks up my lungs and give me bronchitis every year, took me until this year to figure it out

I'm getting a Romba or some such, having vaccum every time I'm not home so I don't have to hear it.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have mold busting methods they'd like to share
Vent your apartment daily for at least 10-15 minutes. If there is still mold on certain walls, it's likely an underlying structural issue with the apartment walls. In that case, contact your landlord. He has to make the necessary repairs, even if costly.

More advice: when I was a kid I had some mold problems in my room at my parents' house. Needless to say, we couldn't just rip out the walls and all that. I fixed those mold problems by rearranging the furniture of my room: don't place big wardrobes etc. alongside cold/damp walls that are prone to condense air humidity. I also repainted those walls with some special anti-mold paint (after scraping off and chemically cleaning the walls obviously). Wallpaper is a really bad idea for such walls, too.

Do you really need an air humidifier? In my innocent European eyes that stuff is useless and I don't know anyone who has one. I think that's a bad idea.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
hire a cleaner to clean your bathroom and kitchen once a month if you can afford it. It'll change your life.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
There was a cold spot on the corner of my room and mold would always grow there. I rearranged my furniture and put my desk close by and had my pc vent towards it. Haven't seen it grow back since.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
As slapping myself goes, i save it for other kinds of embarrassing things, like that one time... well... yeah i better not.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
What does bathroom mold look like? And how would you go about fixing it? I've been thinking about it lately. I could google it obviously but nicer to ask here since we're in here anyway.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
What does bathroom mold look like? And how would you go about fixing it? I've been thinking about it lately. I could google it obviously but nicer to ask here since we're in here anyway.
Basically if the color of the tile separators/borders are dark instead of white then that's a sign of mold

that's just one example

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I knew a family in Louisiana that had a mold problem. Said it came from an abandoned tanker. Long story short they all went crazy.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
I just repainted my bathroom ceiling two weeks ago. Ypu have to clean the ceiling twice with bleach before applying the paint, so there's no mold left under the paint.

Edit: I used Alabastine all-in-one anti-fungal bathroom paint. Don't know if that's an international bran
Also, clean out your fan every now and then

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
This was me for the longest time.
By the time I really felt that it was a problem, I had developed bad respiratory allergies.

Put on a mask and take care of that shit, OP!

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I noticed it in my airconditioner after moving into a different place 5 or so months later. I got cleaner right away. Crazy though how I went from a more humid overall enviorment to a slightly cooler / less humid one but the mold has been more visible here. I spray the AC, bathroom area etc every few months when it starts to be visible again. Just ordered some more stuff for fabrics because I'm paranoid now, gonna give the curtains and mattress a quick dusting once it arrives and the weather is good to open a window!

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
OHh95Hh.png