• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dante&Vergil

Oct 25, 2017
I was a pack a day smoker during my college years and I always knew I had to let it go. I did. I gave it up as a resolution January 1st 2017. It has been little under 3 years and kept track of my progress. I haven't smoked 17,000 cigarettes since then. This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

As a substitute, I started vaping. I never believed that it was healthy but I was willing to bet that it would beat smoking cigarettes.

Now, I'm in a great place. I feel good, I've been able to turn a lot of things around bad habits and all. I'm looking at this now and see it as another obstacle towards the betterment of self.

I'm turning to you because I feel that some of you may be feel the same way.

let's talk about it.
Is there an alternative to using e-cigs?
What's your story?
Do you have any advice?

all the best,

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I think as with most addictions: you're in a good place by wanting to quit. You should think of that as extremely encouraging.

as far as nicotine goes you have a plethora of options to turn to from vaping.. but at some point you're gonna have to have that day where you don't use.

and then what you do the next day is what's important

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I was a pack a day smoker during my college years and I always knew I had to let it go. I did. I gave it up as a resolution January 1st 2017. It has been little under 3 years and kept track of my progress. I haven't smoked 17,000 cigarettes since then. This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

As a substitute, I started vaping. I never believed that it was healthy but I was willing to bet that it would beat smoking cigarettes.

Now, I'm in a great place. I feel good, I've been able to turn a lot of things around bad habits and all. I'm looking at this now and see it as another obstacle towards the betterment of self.

I'm turning to you because I feel that some of you may be feel the same way.

let's talk about it.
Is there an alternative to using e-cigs?
What's your story?
Do you have any advice?

all the best,
Play more games? Lol. For real though I quite smoking years ago with the patches. I'm not ready to quite vaping, but when I do it will most likely also be with patches.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Did something happen to the website? I have already found 2 threads put in the wrong subforum

May 21, 2019
I quit nicotine/smoking/vaping cold turkey. I know this isn't the best for everyone, but I promise once you get past 2 weeks it just gets easier and easier.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Hey you're me! Started smoking cigs in college, got to near a pack a day. Come from a family of doctors and knew I was killing myself. Eventually transitioned to vape. Started with mods and 18mg stuff, it was tough but got myself off of tobacco.

Then I was addicted to vape. Loved all the flavors. Knew it was "healthier" but still killing me so I only picked brands I researched online. Went from 18mg to 12 to 6 to 3 now to 1.5 (mix or 0 and 3), plan to be done by Jan 1 all together.

It's a slow process. Quitting a nicotine addiction cold turkey is horrible. Just set short and long sleeve term goals, you'll get there, buddy. The hardest time will come when you're drunk with friends and someone starts smoking, saying no to that is brutal.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
My mom who was a smoker for 40 years just stopped cold turkey about 5 years ago because she knew it was taking too much of our money and we couldn't financially support ourselves if she kept smoking.

Cold Turkey isn't easy, but she's said once she got past a few weeks it wasn't so bad.

Edit: I'd also suggest what the poster above me has done. I did this same thing with Soda and I don't even drink it anymore after drinking WAYYYY too much for over half my life. I know its not as bad as Nicotine, but it does work.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You just need to decide to do it and go through with it, no ifs and buts. Throw/give away everything related to it, try to put yourself as little into situations where you generally vape as you possibly can, no cheat days (so, no like "I'm out having a good time on a Friday, I can allow myself a smoke or two" type stuff), try to keep your mind occupied (socialize, play video games, watch tv shows, cook, read a book, exercise) and perhaps try to stay away from people who smoke/vape until you are over the worst of the initial withdrawal and temptation of wanting to have a smoke when your friends/co-workers etc are having a smoke/vape break.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've never used patches? How effective are they?
It's how my older brother quit after smoking a pack a day for almost 20 years. It was a 3-step thing with reduced nicotine as it went on. He also stopped going to places where he'd smoke (his friend's house, pool hall, etc) for like 6 months so he wouldn't be tempted until he knew he wouldn't smoke if he went to those places. It's been more than 10 years since he quit.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
I just recently quit vaping myself... Think I'm at a month now maybe? What level of Nicotine are you vaping at?

OP
OP
Dante&Vergil

Dante&Vergil

Oct 25, 2017
Hey you're me! Started smoking cigs in college, got to near a pack a day. Come from a family of doctors and knew I was killing myself. Eventually transitioned to vape. Started with mods and 18mg stuff, it was tough but got myself off of tobacco.

Then I was addicted to vape. Loved all the flavors. Knew it was "healthier" but still killing me so I only picked brands I researched online. Went from 18mg to 12 to 6 to 3 now to 1.5 (mix or 0 and 3), plan to be done by Jan 1 all together.

It's a slow process. Quitting a nicotine addiction cold turkey is horrible. Just set short and long sleeve term goals, you'll get there, buddy. The hardest time will come when you're drunk with friends and someone starts smoking, saying no to that is brutal.

18mg? Jesus. Great work. I Started with 12mg and slowly worked my way down to 3. Then I picked up the JUUL. Well, you know how that works haha.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost 3 weeks into quitting vaping. It's going pretty well. For the past 6 months I'd been dropping my nicotine dosage from 3 mg juice down to ~ .5 mg before finally going to 0 mg. I went the first 10 days hitting 0 mg juice before my ecig died on me. Aside from restless hands and a general lack of energy, I feel pretty good. I had tried quitting cigarettes years back when I was a pack-a-day smoker, and this has been much, much easier so far.

Oct 27, 2017
I lowered my nic down to 0/0.5mg in a stepwise fashion where I'd take 0.5 off every 2 to 3 months, I started at 6mg and am now at 0 but I keep some 0.5mg juice around for when I play rocketleague lmao. I can't say I've 100% quit vaping but I'm at the point where there's days where I just won't vape at all and it's no longer a thing I need to do but it's a thing I choose to do occasionally because I still find the whole blowing clouds experience enjoyable.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. While it's focused on cigarettes, nicotine is nicotine, and it's concentration is that.

Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615482155/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fubMDbP9DNC8A

I had been smoking for over 10 years. Pack and a half for about 3 of those last few years, and a pack a day for most of the rest. I'd tried many things. I was able to quit for a few months sometimes at the most, but I'd always come back.

I read this book from cover to end on a Saturday November 3rd last year, and I have been smoke free since that day. In a way that makes so much sense, and was honestly really easy.

You can vape through the book. It actually specifically says to not change your smoking habits at all, and that's a very important part of it. If you go into it with an open mind and that want to quit, something potentially amazing may happen. Just try it. What's the worst that can happen? You could either waste 12 bucks, or change your entire life. I'd say the gamble is worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Quitting cold turkey + lifting weights / cardio exercise.

Sweat it out at the gym when you get urges to consume nicotine.

That's probably your best bet. You could also lower the amount of nicotine in your juice to 3mg and try weaning yourself off, but that doesn't really work for most people. Substituting your nicotine addiction for another addiction, like drinking a ton of coffee, also doesn't really work. People who smoke/vape LOVE the act of smoking/vaping, so even the sensation of vaping 0mg nicotine juice is therapeutic. The act itself is a factor to addiction.

If you want to quit, you just have to quit while doing good things, like exercising regularly. Simple as that.

May 21, 2019
I'm a few days in. Everything pisses me off right now even playing games. I switch between sleeping and watching TV and eating crap food.
Just keep going man. I can't explain how much better I feel now, I can breathe, I can smell and I don't spend a shit ton of money. Although, vaping really wasn't that expensive and obviously it didn't really effect my sense of smell, but I still feel better off without it.

Oct 27, 2017
Just keep going man. I can't explain how much better I feel now, I can breathe, I can smell and I don't spend a shit ton of money. Although, vaping really wasn't that expensive and obviously it didn't really effect my sense of smell, but I still feel better off without it.

Oh yeah I'm going to push through. I've been through quitting like a dozen times in my life now. I usually last a few months to a year before relapsing. Hopefully this will be the time I stick with it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm attempting the same thing. My recommendation is to start blending 3mg and 0mg juice for a bit, and then start on the nicotine lozenges. They alleviate the oral fixation more than the patches do. Eventually you'll be on full 0mg juice and then just the lozenges.

May 21, 2019
Oh yeah I'm going to push through. I've been through quitting like a dozen times in my life now. I usually last a few months to a year before relapsing. Hopefully this will be the time I stick with it.
I have faith in you. I have quit smoking multiple times at this point, but right now I feel like ill never go back to it.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I quit nicotine/smoking/vaping cold turkey. I know this isn't the best for everyone, but I promise once you get past 2 weeks it just gets easier and easier.
Same here. I tried for years to quit smoking, but there were so many triggers for me. Drinking with my buddies was a big one. Also driving and smoking went together too. I tried patches three or four times to no avail. Finally, my wife and I decided to quit cold turkey one cold ass January afternoon. That was 20 years ago. And yeah, the first few days and week or two is the only real challenge.

May 21, 2019
Same here. I tried for years to quit smoking, but there were so many triggers for me. Drinking with my buddies was a big one. Also driving and smoking went together too. I tried patches three or four times to no avail. Finally, my wife and I decided to quit cold turkey one cold ass January afternoon. That was 20 years ago. And yeah, the first few days and week or two is the only real challenge.
This really resonates with me as I also loved to smoke while driving and when drinking with friends. Congrats on 20 years without it, that's a major milestone.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's soon to be certain about it but I think I finally quit smoking for good this time. It's exactly two months since I had my last puff except for a couple of weed I had with a friend (not a weed smoker though, so that's easy for me).
I was a chainsmoker last year, basically two packs a day of Philip Morris blue, which are heavy here in Italy, kinda like Camel.
Turned to iQos June of last year because I felt I was killing myself and couldn't stop (two attempts, both of one month, which were hard as fuck), and felt great with iQos. No coughing, less smoking in general (one pack and a half kinda), it was just better.
You don't have it in USA for some strange reason but it's great for people who can't stop smoking and want something similar but less hard on the body.
Then I stopped because of one reason: money. If I had continued, I would've spent around 500 bucks in these two months.
I wanted to do it as a principle for a while, and I think it was way easier than the last time because I honestly didn't "need it". Healthwise, I wasn't accusing any problem whatsoever. Money is not an issue even if 250 bucks not spent a month are great. I just was like "Why am I still smoking?".
I read Allen Carr's book which was gifted to me by a friend. Now, honestly, I think it's so simple and barren it's kinda stupid. But that's probably why it works. Fundamentally, it has ONE, and ONLY ONE great advice for smokers: when you quit and want a cigarette, don't try to fight it. If you have to resist the urge, might as well have a cigarette, you will eventually. No, when you want a cigarette, what you need to do is stop and think how lucky you are that you were capable of stopping and many others aren't.
At least, that's what got me and my interpretation of his technique. Again, stopping from iQos is way simpler than normal cigarettes I think, but it works with every addiction.
I was surprised how better it was this time around. When I stopped from normal cigarettes, I was constantly angry and on the verge of having a breakdown for a while. This time around, I put out my last iQos stick after finishing the book and just sighed on relief. I've been drunk around friends who offered me a smoke and refused even. After sex, after a good meal, I don't even think about it.
There are very few times I would like to smoke. Mostly in the morning, because those were the good smokes. But when I want one I'm like "Wow, last time I wanted one was like a week ago. This is easy.".
Don't know what changed but I hope sharing my experience might give you some good advice. Just be positive about taking this decision and please, PLEASE, don't take it as a challenge. It's not a challenge.
I think this time I was able to do it because I didn't quit out of fear for my health or anything (the times I quit and bounced back were because I woke up coughing blood or shit like that), but because I simply decided to do it. I know it seems obvious but it's not.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
5% Pods, I'm not sure what Level that is
Hmm I'm not familiar with pods... I know that in terms of MGs I started really high and eventually got down to 3 MG Nicotine juice, which made it much easier to quit as the craving for nicotine wasn't there, vaping just became more of a habit. I eventually just decided to quit and when I did, I quit cold turkey with no cravings. I did have a bit of an issue getting used to not vaping initially just because I had become accustomed to it, but eventually that went away as well.

I'd suggest trying to find a way to see if you can get lower level nicotine pods if possible and slowly wean off all together as you become more used to the lower amounts of nicotine. Of course if you just want to quit out right, there might be other options, but this is what helped me quit without any issues.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5% Pods, I'm not sure what Level that is
How many pods a day? You're likely taking in way more nicotine now than you were when you were smoking, so quitting will be extra hard.

I used the patch. When I would get a really bad craving (above the standard "always" craving) I would rub the patch into my shoulder/chest and make the skin burn. That helped. I went through the entire 3-step process and used every patch. After your final day of step 3 it's like quitting cold turkey, but with a way less severe nicotine withdrawal. Plus you'll have already moved past the physical habits of vaping.

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017
I quit a 14 year cigarette habit with a 6 month nasty General Swedish snus. Never had a smoke after the first snus.
Its been about 10 years now and I wouldn't grab a pack of smokes if the world was ending. When you quit and walk next to a smoker after quitting its pretty crazy. That stench stains everyone around them.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I've never used patches? How effective are they?
Extremely, even now as a chain vapor, I can use a patch and easily go all day with only one or two cravings a day. I had a wisdom tooth out a couple of months ago so I could not vape for a couple of weeks. There time release so they feed you nic all day. I just advise not to keep one on while sleeping! Crazy vivid dreams lol.

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
Play more games? Lol. For real though I quite smoking years ago with the patches. I'm not ready to quite vaping, but when I do it will most likely also be with patches.

When I was trying to get off fags I also had to abstain from fighting games a bit; the stress of them was driving me back to smoking fags lol. So this might not be the best advice!

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I quit smoking cigarettes in mid 2017, and bought an e-cig.
I forced my mind to use the e-cig only when I had cigarette cravings, so around 3 months later I totally quit that too.

My method of quitting was to really want to quit, and commit to quitting.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I used vaping as a smoking cessation aid. I started with the mid level vape juice (nicotine percentage) and slowly weaned myself down a level, then finally quit. I was not a heavy smoker though, so the strength of the vape juice one starts with on their journey to quitting will vary.

There were some days when the cravings were strong, but they decrease in intensity and frequency. It also helped to avoid anything that brought on the nicotine cravings like coffee or alcohol. It's really doable. Many physicians even recognize this is an effective path to quitting all manner of smoking.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
18mg? Jesus. Great work. I Started with 12mg and slowly worked my way down to 3. Then I picked up the JUUL. Well, you know how that works haha.
Just do that again, but take it to 0mg.

Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. While it's focused on cigarettes, nicotine is nicotine, and it's concentration is that.

Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615482155/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fubMDbP9DNC8A

I had been smoking for over 10 years. Pack and a half for about 3 of those last few years, and a pack a day for most of the rest. I'd tried many things. I was able to quit for a few months sometimes at the most, but I'd always come back.

I read this book from cover to end on a Saturday November 3rd last year, and I have been smoke free since that day. In a way that makes so much sense, and was honestly really easy.

You can vape through the book. It actually specifically says to not change your smoking habits at all, and that's a very important part of it. If you go into it with an open mind and that want to quit, something potentially amazing may happen. Just try it. What's the worst that can happen? You could either waste 12 bucks, or change your entire life. I'd say the gamble is worth it.
Read the book by Alan Carr. You can even smoke while you read it.
Forgive me for this, but is this some kind of cult? Whenever anyone mentions Allan Carr, you all sound the same. Talk about how transformative the book is, but never really go into details, post excerpts, reveal methods, etc. I don't think I've ever seen the book in a store, nor had an IRL person mention him to me (though to be fair I haven't really been around a smoker since my mother's smoking-related cancer death 35 years ago). It sounds like it really works, whatever it says, but the way it's talked about is just odd to me.

OP
OP
Dante&Vergil

Dante&Vergil

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely, even now as a chain vapor, I can use a patch and easily go all day with only one or two cravings a day. I had a wisdom tooth out a couple of months ago so I could not vape for a couple of weeks. There time release so they feed you nic all day. I just advise not to keep one on while sleeping! Crazy vivid dreams lol.
Why does that last part sound so appealing lol