• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
all the working design memers likely migrated to NIS America who does similar pop/internet culture heavy translations for some of their stuff
NISA eventually started to out grow that stuff and has been getting better at least.

WD probably could have continued to do the same as well if it weren't for Vic's poor business sense.

May 19, 2020
NISA eventually started to out grow that stuff and has been getting better at least.

WD probably could have continued to do the same as well if it weren't for Vic's poor business sense.
he also lost whatever pull in japan he used to have given the types of dollar store licenses he had to settle for at gaijinworks

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure the straw that broke NIS memeing was the backlash to their comically bad Ys VIII localization. That one was impossible to ignore.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the straw that broke NIS memeing was the backlash to their comically bad Ys VIII localization. That one was impossible to ignore.
Yeah, since that public embarrassment, it really has felt like they've stepped up their game (and it also helps that they picked up former XSeed talent)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
he also lost whatever pull in japan he used to have given the types of dollar store licenses he had to settle for at gaijinworks

The last 2 games Gaijinworks released were Summon Night games with Namco-Bandai. Summon Night's a great SRPG series and Namco-Bandai is a respectable partner. Take your hate elsewhere.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can dunk on Class of Heroes for being kind of a throw away franchise (though it's perfectly fine), but Summon Night is legit.

That said, I wouldn't put too much props into Vic being able to land that when it's not like Bandai Namco was probably seeing many other suitors for it (and clearly weren't interested in it themselves)

Really, the bigger headscratcher of WD/GW/Vic going after low key franchises is finding out that he spent years bonking his head trying to be able to localize the 360 Tengai Makyou 2 remake and failing due to technical reasons, and realizing that he probably could have gotten away with doing the GC remake of Tengai Makyou 1 if he hadn't killed GW trying to make Growlanser happen against the compilation thing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you can dunk on Class of Heroes for being kind of a throw away franchise (though it's perfectly fine), but Summon Night is legit.

That said, I wouldn't put too much props into Vic being able to land that when it's not like Bandai Namco was probably seeing many other suitors for it (and clearly weren't interested in it themselves)

My understanding from talking to people in the industry is that these days, there's not much you can get period as far more companies are just localizing their own games or are partnering with big companies.

I felt like XSeed Games was the successor to Working Designs, but since creation, they got bought out and started losing their licenses and now they're basically just the NA branch of Marvelous.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding from talking to people in the industry is that these days, there's not much you can get period as far more companies are just localizing their own games or are partnering with big companies.
Right. Which is why something that nobody else was picking up (including the big major publisher that already owned it) is maybe not that dramatic of a get.

It actually occurs to me that a slightly healthier GW probably could/would have been able to successfully swing themselves into becoming the American arm of Gung Ho if they had lasted longer.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Right. Which is why something that nobody else was picking up (including the big major publisher that already owned it) is maybe not that dramatic of a get.

Eh, I'd been wanting an official localization of any non-spinoff Summon Night game for years so I was thrilled when they announced it. I had Summon Night 3 as an import and it's one of my favorite SRPGs of all-time. Unfortunately, by all accounts, Summon Night 6 bombed and around that time, Vic Ireland had some health problems and that was the end of that.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'd been wanting an official localization of any non-spinoff Summon Night game for years so I was thrilled when they announced it. I had Summon Night 3 as an import and it's one of my favorite SRPGs of all-time. Unfortunately, by all accounts, Summon Night 6 bombed and around that time, Vic Ireland had some health problems and that was the end of that.
I'd been waiting for the series proper to get localized for years too (the GBA games were nice but not the same thing). I'm just saying I'm not particularly impressed he was able to get it given nobody else wanted it.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've played Ace Attorney in japanese. The translations are a big improvement. WD on the other hand, well I don't hate them. So perhaps my opinion is worthless.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
ZEF50gY.jpg

6Jvb3bn.jpg

YOUNmuO.jpg

XGgtGeF.png

Fl3rRis.png

I remember people being upset Xseed wasn't going to use their "translation" in the PSP version lol

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I would love for someone to redo the WD translation, though!
I feel like the reason why I mixed the patches up is because when I was doing fan translation patch work on a different project someone was talking about picking up a project to retranslate these games; don't wait for it, I'm not sure if it was ever announced officially, but I have a memory of seeing a retranslation patch somewhere. My apologies about the mixup.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
For one, they're comprehendible so objectively way way above average for the 90s even in those screenshots
That's a gross exaggeration. Yes, the '90s had hit-and-miss localizations if not straight awful, but inserting dumb, nonsensical pop culture references regardless of appropriate context doesn't make it good just because it's grammatically correct.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
How can anyone take a look at these and think, "yeah, great localizations!"?
The "not in kansas anymore" one seems somewhat excusable. It's at least a reference that's stood the test of time, it's very brief and inoffensive, and the sentiment might actually fit the context of the scene... even if it doesn't make sense to reference Kansas/Wizard of Oz within the context of the setting.

The others are pretty bad though.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
That's a gross exaggeration. Yes, the '90s had hit-and-miss localizations if not straight awful, but inserting dumb, nonsensical pop culture references regardless of appropriate context doesn't make it good just because it's grammatically correct.
Not to mention it's flat out wrong to pretend even a majority of 90s localizations were so bad they were incomprehensible

May 19, 2020
The last 2 games Gaijinworks released were Summon Night games with Namco-Bandai. Summon Night's a great SRPG series and Namco-Bandai is a respectable partner. Take your hate elsewhere.
why drink royal crown summon night when you have pepsi sakura wars lol

there are just better SRPG/dating sims period, why waste your limited game time on summon night

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
why drink royal crown summon night when you have pepsi sakura wars lol

there are just better SRPG/dating sims period, why waste your limited game time on summon night
I actually preferred RC Cola to Pepsi when I drank soda, lol

Though, in retrospect, Sakura Wars sure was a series WD never touched but probably could have if they didnt decide to be petty.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The "not in kansas anymore" one seems somewhat excusable. It's at least a reference that's stood the test of time, it's very brief and inoffensive, and the sentiment might actually fit the context of the scene... even if it doesn't make sense to reference Kansas/Wizard of Oz within the context of the setting.

The others are pretty bad though.
Yeah as someone who is not American and played this version of Lunar some years ago those jokes may as well have been left in Japanese given they are completely meaningless to someone who is not American or familiar with the culture around there around those years.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the worst 90s translations I remember would just be occasional spelling and grammar mistakes, and stuff like inconsistent item/place/character names. Far from incomprehensible and honestly that stuff never bothered me.

May 19, 2020
I actually preferred RC Cola to Pepsi when I drank soda, lol

Though, in retrospect, Sakura Wars sure was a series WD never touched but probably could have if they didnt decide to be petty.
my point is that sakura wars feels like the real mccoy of the genre while summon night is certainly ok but the economy of time is the ultimate factor. my more personal view is that i don't know how anyone could seriously recommend summon night to anyone outside of the WD fandom umbrella

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the worst 90s translations I remember would just be occasional spelling and grammar mistakes, and stuff like inconsistent item/place/character names. Far from incomprehensible and honestly that stuff never bothered me.
Even the poster child for bad SNES localizations, Breath of Fire 2, is actually pretty easy enough to follow 99% of the time.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
That's not remotely true. What's incomprehensible about Final Fantasy? Shining Force? Lufia? Landstalker? Saying 90s RPGs on the average were poorly translated is a gross exaggeration.

You don't think FF7 is hard to understand a lot of time because of bad translation?

Oh it had personality, alright...
00eTEa6.jpg
VMKjBYU.jpg

q4yuyHb.jpg

This is the first time I'm seeing these I think since I know the PS1 version and not the Sega CD version but these did just make me laugh.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I could see the Kansas quote turning into a permanent idiom over time. Isn't it strongly implied that the games take place in an alternate post-apocalyptic future where the Earth has been rendered inhabitable and a goddess saved humanity by making the moon habitable and moving humanity there?

Of course, most of the references in the games are much more dated.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
You don't think FF7 is hard to understand a lot of time because of bad translation?

This is the first time I'm seeing these I think since I know the PS1 version and not the Sega CD version but these did just make me laugh.
I was referring to the original Final Fantasy on NES, which came out in 1990 and has a perfectly understandable localization. It's interesting you bring up FF7, because that game has translation issues for sure. I was trying to think of other games of the era that have slurs, and Tifa using the R-slur in FF7 is the only example that springs to mind. Look at the top joke you quoted, that shit is sexist. Many WD games of the time have problematic content, and that wasn't a common thing of localizations of the era. I just want people to critically think about their understanding of Working Designs, and not just fall back on mistaken beliefs about what the 90s were like.

Last edited:

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'd have a stronger point with something like the original translation for FFT, but even that really is kind of an anomaly.

The worst thing you could say about most translations back then is that they were kind of wooden. WD definitely punches that up, but the flip side is that in a lot of these shots, everyone still has kind of the same "voice," and it's not a voice I personally particularly like. They also say some pretty weird stuff. "Where's Dirty Harry when you need him" is just kind of odd, to say nothing of the fact that Dirty Harry is kind of a weird pull for an audience of teens in the 90s.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the working designs style of inserting their own overbearing nerd personalities and love of pop culture references has been pushed out of the industry and rightfully so. there is a reason victor ireland is now basically unknown and translates garbage JP games where the license probably costs less than a bag of dog food.

yall can buy summon night 6 or whatever it is now, i'm sure gaijinworks desperately needs the money lol
Speaking of overbearing have you read your posts back to yourself in this thread

I grew up playing working designs games they brought over and loved lunar in particular but could stand to lose some things especially.the problematic aspects.

There has to be a happy medium between their translations and the total shit show that is silver star harmony. I'd drown in pop culture references before suffering the literal translation of harmony again.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Not excusing racially problematic aspects, but Lunar isn't the only game that has major issues regarding race.
What are your examples? My response before was pithy but I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm genuinely curious. I've been thinking about this and I can't think of many examples of the era. FF7 is definitely one, and the whitewashing in Persona, but I would love to know more.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
User Banned (2 Months): Whataboutism and Dismissing Concerns of Racism over Multiple Posts; Prior Ban for Whataboutism