• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
So I've never been musically inclined, don't know anything about reading music or playing an instrument but I've always had a fascination with the piano.

So last night I randomly purchased a keyboard (cheapish Casio, 76 keys) because I actually want to do this. I understand this isn't something you pick up in a month, it will take years of practice to refine the skills in order to play. I'm in this for the long haul.

So where do I start, are there any good websites, or video tutorials to get me started? I want to learn it all, how to read sheet music and everything but not sure where to start. Not planning on getting a music teacher just yet (money) but probably will down the line once I have some understanding of what I'm doing.

Anyone every done the same (picked up an instrument with no prior experience) and how did you go, would love to hear stories of your journey.

Thanks all

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Instruction and feedback are easily the most important element when learning to play an instrument. However taking lessons is probably more of a time and money commitment then it sounds like your current level of interest is at.

They have apps for tablets/phone that you can line in or use the mic such as the one below. Getting immediate feedback that you are playing something wrong, particularly if you don't have the ear to recognize and make the necessary adjustments on the fly, will help a lot beyond just watching youtube videos. Some form of interactivity whether a person who knows what they are doing or software that can give some level of instruction is key, imo.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Honestly, you might want to shell out for a few lessons just to start. Of course there are tons of resources available online but there is a huge difference with someone watching, listening, and commenting on the things you're doing and habits you're forming. And they would be able to help make a realistic plan moving forward depending on what you want--do you want to read music or learn to play by ear? Do you want to play chords and sing along to popular music, or do you want to get to a higher level of complexity? Do you want to be able to improvise?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to hear people's experiences with learning an instrument. Is it more difficult as you get older etc?

It comes down to practice and application. I know people who played throughout their youth because their parents made them, but stopped around high school and haven't played since. They retain some of those skills but they sound rough. I also know people who started playing in their 30s, and after a few years of persistent application and practice, they can play better than most people did who started as a kid.

Consistent practice is key.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a professional pianist. I strongly recommend you at least invest for a few lessons to start. It's very easy to learn bad habits early on and a teacher can help mitigate those and give you direction.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, I'll check it out when I get home. Any experience yourself?

Would love to hear people's experiences with learning an instrument. Is it more difficult as you get older etc?

Yes. I know how to play a lot of the keyboard family instruments, such as piano, marimba, xylophone, vibraphone. I also know how to play guitar and am currently learning the basics of Violin.

Learning an instrument is really just how much time you can put in. Most people recommend at least a couple of hours a week of hard practice.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Just did my first piano lesson a week back myself. Surprising how much you learn in 60 minutes (ended up learning a few chords at the end). 2nd one's tomorrow.

I may or may not have dropped like $600 for 10 lessons though, so you have to factor that in if you don't want to self-teach.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Posting here so I can check later the links provided since I've having the itch to learn to play piano too. I also have zero practice but I have always loved good tunes with badass piano/keyboard/organ/synth segments.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Have been learning piano for 18 months (though I've always known the basics)

Can now play the entirety of the maple leaf rag. Which was the easiest of the three pieces I want to learn someday. Feels good.

For me it was easier to learn as an adult as I am doing it for myself. Not because my parents want me to.

100% get some lessons. You dont want to develop bad habits that will hold you back later on.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are something like these stickers helpful to learn as well?
Yeah, they help a lot in the beginning because you'll often spend time searching the right keys / notes.

I've randomly purchased a keyboard like 2 years ago and taught myself how to play some stuff. It helped in my case that I was already familar with music theory stuff because I also tought myself how to play Guitar since 5 years or something. But once you figured / googled some Major and Minor Chords: you should be good to play random stuff.

Otherwise there is the art of faking piano skills. Basically usefull stuff that will always sound nice even tho if you have no clue what you're doing:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Subbed so I can get laid.
2vcocv.jpg

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would compare learning an instrument to the old metaphor of a frog in a pot of water. The changes/improvements are so slow they feel basically imperceptible to you until you really look back.

This is what stops a lot of people from really getting into instruments, they don't realise just how much progress was being made, and so give up thinking they're terrible.

Another important thing is to fit at least a small amount of practice in as many days as you can. Playing an instrument isn't super physically demanding, and there isn't a need for rest days like going to the gym. The more time you can squeeze in, the faster you'll progress. I've seen some guitarists that can play on a professional level that started playing like 5 years ago for example.

My final tip is find songs that you love, and learn those first. Even if they're harder than what would normally be recommended, if you know a song well enough, it can be much easier to learn compared to learning a song you've only heard a few times!

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey so to piggyback on this, I also got a keyboard with 77 keys (perhaps the very same one the OP has).

I often read 'practice is key'... But practicing what? Scales? Chords? Taking a song you want to learn and slowly memorizing it?

Are there any tips or advice on *how* beginners should be practicing?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Start at the beginning by playing scales and learning the keys this will improve your finger strength/coordination, make you comfortable and make the basics second nature pretty quickly. Then go onto learning sheet music.

This is a great little resource for exercises when away from a piano. https://www.musictheory.net/exercises

If you are struggling with finger independence remind yourself that you do it all the time. Be it playing computer games or typing on a keyboard.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is perfect. Thank you.

Do cords as well and don't be too pedantic about knowing all the scales, scales in the beginning are really to give you a basic of what a scale is and how they differentiate so when somebody says "in the scale of g major" you understand what they are saying. Similarly with chords you don't need to know them all, focus on the most common ones but really for getting you playing and use to playing.

Just did a quick search for a decent video that will help a lot in getting comfortable:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Good lord, posting here because I literally bought an 88 key last night. I have some background in music theory and have been meaning to learn piano but only recently do I have the means. I had to buy a piano with a headphone port since I live in an apartment building and I don't want to piss off my neighbors.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has played various instruments my entire life, piano always seems to allude me. I can play guitar, bass, drums, etc. But something about getting the left hand different than the right is what kills me. Which is odd because I do it for every single other instrument I play, but when I sit in front of a piano, I cant do it.

I can doodle around and play some various chords on piano, but as soon as the left hand has to do something different than the right, its game over.