• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
RedAhmed

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, so I would almost recommend every DLC for the 3 games. The only ones that could be ignore due to their lesser quality is Arrival for Mass Effect 2 & Omega for Mass Effect 3, but they're still kinda worth it if you fall in love with the games.

I don't know if you're missing any DLC characters from 2 & 3, but it would be a good idea to have them too.

As someone else has said, there is no official controller suppport on PC, although some fans made something I think. The games play well enough with keyboard and mouse(easier to aim + more shortcuts for skills) that I never bothered looking into that.
I'll just get the entire DLC bundle then, since multiple people share your opinion here. Thank you!
Edity: Just checked for you, The Mass Effect 2 and 3 DLC bundles on Origin are currently 60% off so good time to buy.
Awesome, thank you! They still seem pretty expensive, especially considering they're really old games. But better to get them now than at full price though.
Yeah, EA themselves said they will be launching "fan favorite" remasters soon:
In that case, I hope EA upgrades the standard versions to the remaster for free. Though I doubt it.
Yep. Even Pinnacle Station, for its price, is worth it if you like ME1.

But yeah OP, just buy every story related DLC if you can, and don't listen to people telling you to skip an episode (wtf, seriously). Some of the DLCs for ME2 and 3 are among the best expansions of last gen.
I won't skip anything, that's for sure. I want to experience the entire series! (Not Andromeda though, that doesn't exist)
Major Mass Effect player here. Got dozens of playthroughs under my belt on multiple systems. Let me give you MY exhaustive recommendations for optimal experience (my preferences, of course).

DLC:
Get ALL the story content.
Yes, all of it.
Some of it is naturally better than others, but almost all of it will enrich your experience and the story and the characters in the long run. The ONLY story DLC I would remotely say is 100% inconsequential is "Pinnacle Station", which mostly just serves as ME1's challenge trials (though there is very minor story in it, and you can win a nice little apartment in the middle of nowhere with a great view).

But the rest? ALL worth it. Bring Down the Sky is worth it in ME1 as one of the best missions of the game, and an introduction to a major alien race. ME2's Kasumi and Zaeed are ESSENTIAL as adding two party members. Overlord is imaginative, Arrival ties directly into ME3, and Lair of the Shadow Broker is considered ME2's best expansion. All the Cerberus Network stuff is free now, too. ME3's Javik is a major party member worth getting, Leviathan greatly explains the motivations of the major antagonists and their origins, and Citadel is the best damn DLC of anything ever. Omega is arguably the least important, but it's a great one-off. Just... get them all and you'll be happy you did, even if those DLC prices still hurt.

And, of course, grab the Extended Cut ending DLC.

Mods:
Get the controller mod. The games can be played on KB&M, but it was clearly optimized for controllers and it feels organic that way. I also recommend things like the MEUITM for improved textures, and there's some big QoL mods out there that do everything from speeding up elevators to adding back in cut content, but those are optional.

Playthrough:
The games are amazing, but I also recommend you experience them multiple times. The first time through... stick with your choices and consequences. It makes every decision have massive weight. You can always replay the games and "fix" choices that get people killed or cost you resources, but that's part of the fun. I always do a Paragon & Renegade run, and I encourage you to stick with one or the other (the game pushes this too) to open up as many story options as possible late-game. And all classes play quite differently as well, and there are countless permutations for romances, alliances, backstabs, and more - many of which won't be apparent until the THIRD game.

For ME1, explore everything and take your time. It's the most leisurely game in the series. For ME2, you have more hard choices of where to invest your time and resources, and if something seems like it's important and you shouldn't put it off, DON'T. There are consequences for waiting. ME3 is likewise time-intensive for some missions.

Also, because of how good BOTH VAs are, do one playthrough as MaleShep and one as FemShep. They are both great but different in many nuanced ways.

Last bit of advice... get the space hamster. And make sure you check up on him from time to time. And don't forget to feed your fish!

I would recommend these DLCs as mandatory:
Mass Effect 2:
  • "Lair of the Shadow Broker"
  • "Arrival"
  • Cerberus Network Pass Content: (I think it's free)
    • "Normandy Crash Site"
Mass Effect 3:
  • "Extended Cut" (Adds details to the endgame that were originally rushed, to provide more closure. It's free.)
  • "From Ashes" (Squadmate w/ story scenes, that was meant to be part of the main story before getting cut. Significant additional story detail and foreshadowings)
  • "Citadel DLC" (play after the main game has ended - it feels thematically like the true ending, despite taking place prior to the canon endgame)
And I would recommend these as optional but they are worth investing in:
Mass Effect 1:
  • "Bring Down The Sky"
Mass Effect 2:
  • "Overlord" (Side story)
  • "Kasumi: Stolen Memory" (Extra squadmate w/ story missions)
  • "Zaeed: The Price of Revenge" (Extra squadmate w/ story missions)
Mass Effect 3:
  • "Leviathan" (Addresses details that were vague in the ending along with a new Detective-style side-plot)
  • "Omega" (Resolves a plot-point that got sidelined in the main game, and was originally supposed to be a real side-quest in the main campaign. It's very long and feels like a long side-story in the middle of a focused main arc.)

For Mass Effect 1 pc is easily the best version. You get short elevator rides (background loading) which takes FOREVER on PS3 and 360, and it has a reworked UI that is better, minigames that were completely redesigned for pc which are more intuitive as well and the game can run at 1080p and it feels good.

If you want to use a controller, you need a mod, which has been released. This means you have to decide before playing. If you want a cinematic couch gaming experience on a TV, go for the controller mods.

ME1: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/60
ME2: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect2/mods/62
ME3: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/407

Controller mods aside, you need to know that on pc, each game sequentially becomes more like "made for consoles" in its game design.

ME2 removes RPG mechanics such as inventory to put focus more on action and strategy only and lacks QoL pc features like "right click to cancel" instead requiring weird things like pressing the Esc key to back out of menus, or move the cursor to a GUI that says "Cancel". The scroller doesn't scroll in text strings, you have to drag the panel manually by left-clicking, and other things. Otherwise the shooting and dialogue interface feels good with Mouse & Keyboard.

ME3 the shooting and action is also tight with Mouse & Keyboard, and you can move the camera while sprinting, and you also get 8 hotkeys for abilities, which eliminates the need for pausing and selecting. It's a more fast-paced way to play than on consoles and it's also very optimized and easy to run at 60fps on even mid-end systems. However, they significantly reduce player input of choosing dialogues and such in the cutscenes, meaning you will be sitting hunched over at a M&Kb for minutes just looking at cutscenes sometimes, and there are also pre-rendered 30fps sequences that don't blend in organically with the higher-res, 60fps in-game stuff which makes the experience more artificial on pc. I would actually recommend that most people play ME3 on Xbox 360 or PS3 because it's intended more as a "MOVIE" experience designed with the same appeal as Uncharted and the like than a true RPG.

But don't change platforms midgame. If you play ME1 on pc you also play the two others on the same system, because you import your character and their choices through a save, which can't be transported across platforms.

Other than that, I would actually recommend a few mods for the pc version of Mass Effect 3 to iron out bugs BioWare never were able to fix, which the game truly suffers from. "ME3Recalibrated" fixes cutscene bugs and dialogue inconsistencies, and makes it a smoother experience. If you dare, "ALOT" (a high-res texture pack) I would recommend because they over-optimized the game with low-res textures for 720p systems at the time, and ME3 has some very blurry textures.

TL;DR: If all my rambling in the bottom is too much, just look at my list of Mandatory and optional DLCs and stick by that, and remember to play all 3 games on the same platform so you get the full save-import trilogy experience. And bring handkerchiefs because you will start crying at some point.
No rambling at all! This is all valuable to me, thank you very much for the write-up!
I'll get all DLC and get the mods, though I'll try the games both with kb+m and controller to see how that goes.

I've never cried because of a game before, so I'm very curious if this can being me to tears lol. And I don't really like cinematic stuff, I like my games to be extremely "gamey", though I have no doubt I'll enjoy some good story telling and presentation.
Thanks again!

Jan 4, 2018
Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival are essential for Mass Effect 2

Citadel and From Ashes are essential for Mass Effect 3

They're all worth getting though. I particularly loved Overlord for Mass Effect 2 but wouldn't necessarily consider it crucial to the overarching narrative.

Also give Andromeda a try if you're itching for more after the trilogy, it's usually dirt cheap. Your mileage may vary since a lot of people hate on it, but I think it's overstated. (Plus, I desperately dream of it picking up enough late in life traction to justify a return to that narrative.)

OP
OP
RedAhmed

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Just remember you have to uninstall mods any time you want to go back to KB&M. The Controller mod doesn't allow both inputs, it replaces all keyboard functionality in the game with controller.
Got it, I'll just make sure to keep some back-up files for the original controls to be safe.

Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival are essential for Mass Effect 2

Citadel and From Ashes are essential for Mass Effect 3

They're all worth getting though. I particularly loved Overlord for Mass Effect 2 but wouldn't necessarily consider it crucial to the overarching narrative.

Also give Andromeda a try if you're itching for more after the trilogy, it's usually dirt cheap. Your mileage may vary since a lot of people hate on it, but I think it's overstated. (Plus, I desperately dream of it picking up enough late in life traction to justify a return to that narrative.)
I honestly have zero interest in Andromeda though, especially since I have lots of other games waiting to be played. And my backlog won't allow me to go buy too many games.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'd hold off for the time being, I fully suspect it will be sooner rather than later where we see a Mass Effect 1-3 Collection with all DLC.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
No fuck that get all of the dlcs for 2 and 3 or the experience is sorely lacking.
U can get bundles for 2 and 3 that have all dlcs included for 25$ each

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid there's no definitive version. On pc you can't properly use gamepad but you get 60 fps and texture mods if you wanna tamper. Gamepad can be forced with input mappers but it's not the same. ME2 has half baked support in some way but it's unfinished. Just play with mouse.

Dlc for 2 is needed imo, at the very least Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival. The rest doesn't hurt either, as thebatarians dlc for 1. 3 needs Citadel, Leviathan and the optional companion dlc if possible. Buying all the dlc is the complicated part.

just play 1,2, and 3.

get the citadel dlc for 2.

everything else is optional. 1 is optional as well

Wrongest post in history. ME1 is essential for the story, Citadel is a dlc for 3, not for 2, and doesn't really add to the story (but is arguably one of the best ever dlc anywhere). And the only non optional dlc imo are the ones I mentioned in 2 (to avoid leaving as many untied things although Arrival is kinda ignored later) and maybe Leviathan for 3.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
As others said, DLC for 2 and 3 are pretty good overall and offer some relevant info.

My advise for ME1 is to be really really patient. Is by far the best game in the series but it starts really slow if you're not used to games that lock you in a city area during some hours with little combat before letting you explore more freely.

It took 3 attemps for me to finish the game (and then I completed it 3 or 4 more times during the following years). ME2 is weaker but it has a more exciting start, while ME3 feels the weakest one overall.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Definitely play through Mass Effect 1, but you can skip all the DLC for that one. Mass Effect 2 most of the DLC is absolutely worth it, so I would recommend all of it. Mass Effect 3 is in my unpopular opinion the best game in the series, and the Citadel DLC for it is the best DLC for the series as well.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
IMO if you like the games the DLC for game 2 and game 3 are a must. game 2 has 2 new chars with their own missions. Game 3 DLC ahs 1 very important unique char and DLC that enhance the relationships between the crew.
I don't want to be much more specific out of fear of doing spoilers.
IMO if you play the game 1 and the story doesn't grab you i don't think the other 2 will.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the DLCs in ME2 and ME3 which give you another character are great. The characters have full interactions with the entire game. I can't believe that Javik in ME3 was paywalled behind the From Ashes DLC. There were so many places where I'd be wandering through some old ruins and he'd be like, "oh, we Protheans used this for-" and I was like, word?

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I played one and need to go back. I think remastered is a real possibility but there is no way EA is giving us 3 games for 60 US

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Throw me in the boat that all DLC is important, as it ranges from good to great to essential.
If I had to skip one game's DLC, it'd be ME1's. Definitely do not skip ME2's and ME3's DLCs, though.
ME1 has my favorite lore and story. The story arcs for the main playable character and his/her main antagonist are so fucking good!

ME2 and and ME3's gameplay shit all over ME1's.
I REALLY wish we could get ME1 remade to implement ME2's and ME3's gameplay.
ME3 is the most controversial because the endings are all garbage and they squandered a lot of the build-up and decision-making from the first two games.
It feels great to play, but it's damn clear that they had no idea what to do with their third act, and really shat the bed with it.

I still absolutely love the trilogy, and easily recommend it (as a whole experience) to anyone.
And yeah, I even liked Andromeda to a certain extent. Much more cautious about recommending that one.
After all the patches, of course. I didn't touch that one until they were done with the bug fixes.

Platinumed all four games, and I regret little of it. (Mostly the missed opportunities).

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Start at the beginning, don't listen to anybody telling you 1 is optional. ME1 is the introduction to the world and characters, with the best music and story, as well as the most role-playing in this RPG series (which was dumbed down with each entry). The gameplay is a bit dated feeling, but you'll get into it. Even then, if the gunplay doesn't click with you, remember all the games are only about 20 hours each if you just the main story and some of the side content.
None of the DLC for ME1 are really required, though they're ok.

Get all the DLC for ME2 if possible, in particular Overlord. It's a great throwback to the ME1-style missions.

I didn't finish the DLC for ME3, the game is unfortunately pretty bad. The shooting was fun last I remember though.

Anyway, enjoy the series. You'll get the most out of it if you create your character from ME1 and import them to each sequel.

Edit: also, being an asshole to people is really funny a lot of the time, especially in ME2, I created a second character just to make all the bad choices and it was a lot of fun

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Of the scenario DLC, the only one I'd recommend skipping is ME3's Omega. The rest are either really solid or fill in some gaps in the story.

Also ME1's Pinnacle Station. You should already have that if you bought the game on Origin, but just don't play it unless you feel like wasting your time.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You WILL play Operation Overlord. You WILL enjoy the shitty Hammerhead tank. You WILL hear the greatest combat track in all of the series. You WILL see that ending.

Actually the best combat track is from Kasumi DLC, but still.

Actually the best combat track is from Shadow Broker, BUT STILL.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The DLC does have content that's pretty neat (Kasumi's mission in 2 is a delight and the spoiler squad member in 3 is good) but not needed. If anything play 1 to see where you're at and then decide on DLC after being invested in the game.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Get all the DLC except for Pinnacle Station for ME 1. It's very worth it. Also don't skip any of the 3 games.

I'm pretty sure you can get all the DLC for 2 and 3 in packs that drastically reduce the price, I recommend doing that.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Skipping the first one? Missing this intro, with the voiceover all customized to the choices you made in character creation?!

Blasphemy.

Not to mention the only RPG I've played through more than once, let alone FOUR times.

Oct 28, 2017
Screw waiting for any remaster. Who cares. Games are all fantastic as is. Played on either PC or console.

You really can't go wrong with Mass Effect OP

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo others and say wait if you can. There's a chance EA might not do it, but my gut is telling me we're going to get a Trilogy remaster sooner rather than later. Hopefully this year is the year. Of course, there's no trouble playing it now and enjoying one of my favorite series' ever.

Also at those thinking you can skip the first or that the first is optional:

source.gif

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the trilogy on Xbox in 2015 and didn't bother with the dlc.

I'm sure some of it is good but I hear a lot of it is bad. I don't feel I missed out on anything.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Got it, I'll just make sure to keep some back-up files for the original controls to be safe.
I highly recommend that as soon as your Origin app says the game is ready to go and all DLC has been installed, find the game folder and 7zip it. The more mods you end up using the more files are non-vanilla and it can be a pain in the ass to keep redownloading if you make mistakes

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbroker, Arrival and From Ashes are probably the most important. Especially the latter, since the extra companion explains a huge amount of backstory (take him to the blue aliens' home planet in me3).
The citadel DLC is supposed to be very good too.
The others are generally good but not especially great.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
Ive been wanting to get in for a decade now. But I'm just holding out for a remaster/remake.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
RedAhmed
Welcome to the Mass Effect universe! I just started replaying the series for the first time since ME3 dropped, and I'm also on PC. Going to give you my suggestions and tips, based on what I've encountered through 1, 2, and some of 3 at this point.

The DLC basically never goes on sale, but they dropped prices for the first time on PC not too long ago. You can choose to wait, but I wouldn't get my hopes up...

Mass Effect 1
- Pinnacle Station DLC is a shooting gallery. Not important
- Bring Down the Sky DLC is eh, but it introduces a new alien race. Also free!
- Do yourself a favor and play with controller support mod. Keyboard is okay, but I vastly prefer controller for the game.
- Texture Overhaul Pack I used. It won't fundamentally change the game, but it sure looked sharper at higher resolutions. It can be a little daunting looking at first to implement, but they're really not too bad. Even I was able to pull it off, and I'm not the most mod savvy.
IMPORTANT: I believe all of the texture packs I list state that they need to be installed last of any mods or any DLC you want to use. Something about the install process will break if you do textures first and then circle back around to adding more mods/dlc.
ALSO IMPORTANT: If you get requests from Origin to update your game, DO NOT DO IT. Updating the game after installing the mods will break everything. This goes for 1, 2, and 3.

Mass Effect 2
- All story related DLC for ME2 is strongly recommended. Zaeed, Kasumi, Overlord, Arrival, Shadow, and Normandy are some great additions to the experience. Save Arrival for after completing the main story in 2.
- Controller Support Mod highly suggested again.
- Shorter load screens mod saved so much time. The game loads much quicker on my PC, but you're stuck watching a loading animation, regardless. This speeds through the animation so you're not watching minute-long load screens over and over.
- Texture Overhaul mod. Again, not critical, but the extra work goes a long way into making things look nice. Install this last, as mentioned in the ME1 section.
- Scanning planets becomes a part of the gameplay in 2. You do not need to scan every planet. You will not have enough money to pay for probes, and it will cost you a TON of time clearing every planet. Only focusing on planets with a Good or higher rating will get you everything you need.
- There is a bug that will lock up your game every time in a hallway on a planet called Illium. The only way to prevent this is by disabling dynamic shadows, light shadows, and playing in windowed mode. For whatever reason, that hallway locked up every time unless I did this. No other area caused this, so you can switch the settings back after you leave.
- There is another bug where a minor character from ME1 will behave as though you chose renegade (red/aggressive) options in 1. You can still have their storyline in 2 result in a paragon or renegade conclusion. It's just a little strange at first.

Mass Effect 3
- I only ever played "From Ashes" DLC when 3 initially released, but it is critical to have. So far, I have played the Omega DLC, and it was very good. On its quality alone, I recommend getting it and the Citadel and Leviathan. The extended cut ending DLC seems important as I recall them addressing a few criticisms and making certain conditions more achievable.
- I am using this Controller Support Mod, but it disables multiplayer. I didn't care about multiplayer, so your mileage may vary.
- Texture Overhaul mod. Again, if you install this do it at the very end as it could disrupt your files by installing other mods/dlc afterwards.
- Can't recall running into any serious bugs in this one, but there have been a few instances of character model goofiness in a conversation or two.
- You might do a google search to see when to do the DLC. There was one of the DLC I saw suggested to play later in the game that pops up VERY early.

I hope this wall of text doesn't scare you off. It's really just trying to share my experience with the PC version and hopefully let you have a smoother time with it.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
You need EVERY DLC.

The only ones that are really even negotiable are Pinnacle Station (ME1) and the Firewalker missions (ME2).

Every DLC adds something cool to the game and most of them add really cool story bits.

I played through my "remastered" trilogy last year on PC with visual mods and it was the defining ME experience for me

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, so I would almost recommend every DLC for the 3 games. The only ones that could be ignore due to their lesser quality is Arrival for Mass Effect 2 & Omega for Mass Effect 3, but they're still kinda worth it if you fall in love with the games.

I don't know if you're missing any DLC characters from 2 & 3, but it would be a good idea to have them too.

As someone else has said, there is no official controller suppport on PC, although some fans made something I think. The games play well enough with keyboard and mouse(easier to aim + more shortcuts for skills) that I never bothered looking into that.
Omega is only worth it after finishing the game, otherwise it simply don't fit within the plot.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Play 1, 2, 3
Get all the DLC for 2.
You're set.

I would say wait a couple months before you commit to this since it appears as though there may be a chance EA announces a remastered trilogy or something by then (they committed to announcing more remasters by the end of the FY, and this would be a frontrunner there).

I don't see EA using Unreal Engine in potential remasters, so it would take lot of time and money to move three different games to Frostbite. Also they don't have enough manpower to do that and cannot use external devs.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Or try something surely no one did; play them in the order of: 3, 1, Andromeda, 2 and then call it something dumb like "The Garus Order"