• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo VR?

• Yes

Votes: 117 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 181 60.7%

• Total voters

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Labo VR is nice with all of its limitations, so as an optional device, yeah I'd love a better VR set for Switch in the future...

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
You have my sword and my vote OP. I adore Labo VR and I hope it's a direction Nintendo continues to explore. I only play BotW with the headset now and wouldn't want it any other way

Fun fact: Labo VR is one year old today!

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You know OP, I imagined a full VR Captain Toad game and it was amazing. You have my vote, I can see Nintendo developing quite a lot of quirky VR experiences. They could be some of best VR games of all time.

As far as AAA stuff goes, I don't think they'll ever care and they shouldn't honestly.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's a matter of when. Probably in a few years when the technology has advanced to where Nintendo can make an affordable standalone headset with acceptable specs to actually make decent games. It would split up Nintendo's development efforts again but by then VR will have grown to be a major and viable market and Nintendo's developers will want to explore the gameplay possibilities of VR.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Labo VR is the closest thing to VR that Nintendo is willing to offer. It would cost them fortune to invest in VR right now and try to catch up to other companies.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The Labo VR mentions get me thinking. What, exactly, are the expensive parts of a VR headset?

I can't imagine that screens that small, and still that high resolution and that fast are cheap. But is that what makes VR headsets expensive or something else?

Because if it is, and Nintendo takes their usual approach of waiting for tech to get common and less expensive, I could see a tricky solution for VR from their part. I mentioned it before in this thread, but mostly as a throwaway comment.

Imagine a new Switch, some 2-3 years from now. It connects to the TV with a dock, it plays handheld in your hands with its built in screen... and it attaches to a VR headset that has no screens nor accelerometers of its own. That would make the headset really cheap, no? Because all the expensive guts are in the console itself and that slides into the headset and uses its own stuff, unlike PSVR that has to do all the tracking itself. It would even be completely wireless, like the Quest, because the console is part of the headset now.

If it has better tracking and can find its own controllers in 3D space no matter where they are around it, well... What more do you need? (Genuine question, I don't know VR tech all that much.)

Labo VR might very well be a proof of concept for something so very Nintendo-like coming next generation for them. Take the cost out of a VR add on by making it a dumb piece of plastic with a head strap and let the console you already have do everything.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Heavens, no.
There's no indication that they can make VR experiences any more satisfying than what we've already got, tbh.

Best case scenario for mainstream standalone VR would be for Apple to step in. Comfort would be guaranteed, and their A series ARM SoCs are easily the most powerful out there, significantly outstripping their Snapdragon rivals.
Apple doesn't have much innovation to create a good vr experience

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like for VR to be open on consoles like I dont understand why I need to buy a playstation vr when I iwn a rift s. Like why make the barrier of entry so expensive to play on multiple platforms.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Labo VR was great, but it was great precisely because they were not chasing someone else's ideas. A dedicated VR set sounds too derivative.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think they should tackle the Labo idea with the Switch 2. They'll have hardware on par or better than the PS4 which will easily handle VR and would probably have a better screen. They could upgrade the joycons to support full VR motion controls and able to track via cameras on the headset(like the Quest does). You'd just slide it in and it'd work similarly to Labo VR, just with a strap and no joycons attached, and able to communicate completely with the Switch like the Ring-con with the joycon.

I went with yes anyways :P

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
LaboVR had some pretty novel concepts with its minigames so on the gameplay front they'd certainly be able to develop some novel and inventive VR titles and with full 6dof tracked controllers the sky's the limit. I'm skeptical of their investment on the hardware part though, but could see them partnering with someone like Oculus or Valve to help them develop the headset and controllers.

Switch is doing so well though that I'd be surprised if we saw anything even midrange quality wise in terms of a headset from them for quite awhile.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Oh yeah, this is the dream device, op. Ignore the detractors.

My ideal situation is them deciding to take whatever chip they put in the "next Switch" and also releasing a standalone Quest-like device that comes with an HDMI out and plays flat Switch games. Full switch library either on your TV or portably in VR theater mode. Comes with regular joycons and also some sort of wands that they slot into for inside-out tracking.

It would be more to support software-wise, but I think they could get by with a thinner (exclusive) release schedule than what the DS devices got, seeing as how Switch VR also doubles as a whole ass Switch. Plus, I think a LOT of Nintendo's existing games would adapt well to VR modes/features which could help bolster the lineup.

Imagine your "Virtual Console" being an actual Virtual Console in your VR environment. People have already mentioned Mario Galaxy in VR. I think VR modes for 3D World and Land would be really cool too. The Pikmin series could be well-suited for a VR mode. We've already seen this with Captain Toad. Hell, I think even 2D platformers would be cool if they added immersive effects (similar to what you'd see from 3DS stuff but way more VR). I'd like to chill over my Animal Crossing island in VR god mode. I think a VR mode in Mario Maker where you edit and play levels like they're on a storyboard in front of you could be incredible. It would be cool to lord over the stage in Super Smash Bros. To get a bird's-eye view of the battlefield in a game like Fire Emblem or Mario & Rabbids. VR could take Ring Fit to another level. There's just so many games in their library that would be well-suited and not too technically unfeasible for immersive VR modes

Also, given that VR as a medium is different enough to upend a lot of design conventions, I think it would be an interesting opportunity to reimagine some of the classics from the ground up. What about a LttP remake/reimagining in VR? Try to match the original in scope and layout, but VR-ify the combat and item usage. Metroid's obviously a good candidate. This could be an opportunity to do something worthwhile with Star Fox. Switch VR could give new life to franchises like Pilotwings, Punch-Out, Nintendo Land, etc. It could also spawn a new series of platform-centric sports and party games ala the Wii series.

I really think a Switch VR that doubles as a docked switch would be an excellent Trojan horse device for VR as a medium. If they could sell something like that for like $399 (current price of the Quest), assuming that "next Switch" replaces the old one at $299, it could be too attractive for those who don't care much about handheld play to turn down. Matches the current best "VR console" solution in terms of pricing and convenience, but one-ups it by doubling as Nintendo's current console with access to not only Nintendo VR exclusives, but the entirety of their flat gaming catalog. It's a longshot to hope for, but I think it'd have potential to do pretty well.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I don't think you want that... Nintendo focuses on low cost gimmicky-type hardware. High end hardware is very important for VR and high resolutions.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I think if anyone could make the kinds of games that would make me interested in VR Nintendo could

I want more Astro-Bots and fewer first person shooters

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I don't think you want that... Nintendo focuses on low cost gimmicky-type hardware. High end hardware is very important for VR and high resolutions.
I thought we were past the time when we called Nintendo gimmicky?
And Quest proves you can get an adequate experience on low ended hardware.
VR only requires high power if you are pushing AAA graphically involved games.
It feels like some people act as tho AAA are the only games to exist.

DeniroSerafim

Apr 5, 2018
If it had enough support and was reasonably priced I'd definitely buy it. VR seems really cool, just waiting for it to become more affordable and have more games worth buying.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Apples innovation days are loooong behind them.
All they make now is marketable fluff.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but even I know this isn't true.

For years now, they've been assembling a stellar VR/AR team and there have been strong analyst rumors of an impending AR headset. Additionally, their mobile SoCs are the best in the world, both with respect to GPU and CPU performance.

Aside from a few missteps with keyboards and the like, they are a force to reckon with, hardware wise. And they have the marketing reach, brand power and developer influence to make new product lines mainstream.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm no Apple fanboy, but even I know this isn't true.

For years now, they've been assembling a stellar VR/AR team and there have been strong analyst rumors of an impending AR headset. Additionally, their mobile SoCs are the best in the world, both with respect to GPU and CPU performance.

Aside from a few missteps with keyboards and the like, they are a force to reckon with, hardware wise. And they have the marketing reach, brand power and developer influence to make new product lines mainstream.
giphy.gif

This just reads like Apple fanboyism.
Putting the hardware aside for the moment, and the RUMORS of a VR team
What makes you think they could secure any killer apps?
Lord knows they tried recently, on that apple TV gaming thing?
I don't even remember the name of it.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Sure, why not? An Oculus Quest and a Switch in one would be great. I could definitely see it, although I think 5-10 years out would be the time to do it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i would say "nah", but after the Quest I'd love to see more standalone vr headsets

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke comment? Because it's hilarious.
You think Apple can create something in house for a great vr experience? No they will buy up who ever and slap there sticker on it. They haven't had innovation since Steve Jobs passed away. I'm also talking on a software basis because that's what's matters atm.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I think Switch 2 is poised to be exactly this.

-Whatever the Switch 2 is will undoubtedly have more powerful internals than Oculus Quest, which already offers surprisingly high fidelity VR.

-It will have the advantage of also being a traditional gaming handheld and home console.

- The hardware features that would enable proper VR (higher resolution screen, cameras on the tablet and IR LEDs built into the joycons) are iterative to what the current Switch offers and also have non-VR applications.

The result being:
Nintendo is in the very unique position of being able to offer VR as an option for its next console without the purchase of an expensive peripheral. If the aforementioned features are built into the Switch 2 hardware itself, a hollow headset with lenses that the tablet could slot into is all that would be necessary. Given that the Gear VR was exactly this, and was given away for free for much of its life, I can imagine a scenario where Nintendo includes it in the box with the Switch 2 or offers it for a sub $100 price at launch.

The only hitch I can foresee is that the shape of the joycons would need to change dramatically from their current form to prevent occlusion issues.

71OeRDfzGFL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The oculus controller "ring" and Index hand strap are the two current solutions to this problem and I don't see controllers with those shapes connecting to the sides of a tablet or being suitably portable.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
giphy.gif

This just reads like Apple fanboyism.
Putting the hardware aside for the moment, and the RUMORS of a VR team
What makes you think they could secure any killer apps?
Lord knows they tried recently, on that apple TV gaming thing?
I don't even remember the name of it.

Surprised you're able to recognize 'fanboyism' since you're far more effusive about Nintendo than I am about Apple.

I'm not sure how stating facts plainly gets cited as 'fanboyism', but you do you. Certainly is much easier than Logically contesting any point I raised.

PS: Apple Arcade is much more than an 'Apple TV gaming thing'. It's targeted at every hardware member of the Apple ecosystem - IPhone, Mac, iPad and yes, Apple TV. You should try not to be so resistant to learning new things.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You think Apple can create something in house for a great vr experience? No they will buy up who ever and slap there sticker on it. They haven't had innovation since Steve Jobs passed away. I'm also talking on a software basis because that's what's matters atm.

Buying up and slapping stickers on it is pretty much how most companies operate, isn't it? Amazon bought Twitch, Google bought Youtube, Ms and Sony buying up studio

and Apple's well on that curve. They've been snapping up VR and AR talent for half a decade now.
If MS, Google, Oculus and HTC can figure out inside-out tracking, I'm not seeing why Apple can't.

I'm also talking on a software basis because that's what's matters atm.

They've pulled that off with the AppStore, with games being a major part of the store. I don't think you'd have a problem attracting developers to a powerful, mainstream VR headset. The success of Oculus Quest has shown that people aren't too fussed with buying a walled garden VR platform.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess: I think Switch 2 will support an official plastic (not cardboard) VR headset which will be optional if you want to use it. Since it will use the Switch 2's screen it won't need to cost a fortune.

Labo VR was the test run, usually when Nintendo does experiments like that it pops up later on in something else.

They'll make it fun and easy to use with no wires/cables and add Nintendo like touches like a little wind blower that simulates air passing you by in a game like Pilotwings.

Here's Mario Kart VR in some arcades, there's no doubt that Nintendo has looked at this:

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeh I don't. I know they would cheap out and make something with either low res screen, or some crazy oversight I can't think of right now.

Nintendo aaaalways want to maximize profit, and VR googles are still a very expensive thing when done "right", I don't think it's a great idea.