• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo VR?

• Yes

Votes: 117 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 181 60.7%

• Total voters

Callum

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you OP, Nintendo VR games would be pretty cool and obviously the Switch hardware isn't going to cut it for that kind of thing so a standalone device makes the most sense. Maybe a Switch 2 would be able to power some better stuff in the vein of labo VR and get more people on board.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that the Switch can maintain the constantly needed frames per second for VR.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
I doubt it will happen this generation or even the next but surely Nintendo will do something with VR eventually. There is just so much growing potential there to ignore.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Once the tech gets cheap enough to run powerful enough devices the size and cost of a typical Nintendo handhelds, they should absolutely do it. It'll be a decent replacement for the two console specialization they used to have in terms of output, but this time across three different form factors, with the Switch's dual nature.

Everyone against this is a monster tho. Smh @ the poll results, and on a video game forum of all things

Is normal.

I have never seen people more opposed to tech evolution than in gaming communities. Makes no sense but thats just how it is.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't it?
The Oculus Quest can.
The Oculus Quest was designed to run always on 72fps, no matter what, which is already the bare minimum for VR. I don't know if there's a single Switch game that runs at 60+ fps. The Quest is somewhat more powerful than a Switch but it's still only the lowest end for (real) VR there is.

You can't half-ass a VR console with low end hardware if you're Nintendo. Well ... technically you can do that but then you should also name it Virtual Boy 2.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Nintendo would actually be on of the few companies I see making vr content so good you'd have to own one, if they made an oculus quest it'd be huge probably.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It would be great to see, but I don't think it would work well for Nintendo until they could nail something beyond Oculus Quest. I feel like they'd want to nail comfort down more, so I couldn't see something like this happen for at least 5 years if not longer.

Is normal.

I have never seen people more opposed to tech evolution than in gaming communities. Makes no sense but thats just how it is.
That's because the gaming community largely hates change. They just want things to be as they always have been.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
The Oculus Quest was designed to run always on 72fps, no matter what, which is already the bare minimum for VR. I don't know if there's a single Switch game that runs at 60+ fps. The Quest is somewhat more powerful than a Switch but it's still only the lowest end for (real) VR there is.

You can't half-ass a VR console with low end hardware if you're Nintendo. Well ... technically you can do that but then you should also name it Virtual Boy 2.
I wonder how they got 60 fps games to run on the GBA...
It's really weak you know...
🤔

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Is normal.

I wouldn't mind but in this case the passion against this is weird, especially when none of the arguments make much sense

I don't think the kids toy company is going to make a product that specifically can't be used by kids

they have already made a VR product, in their line that is targeted at kids

There are a bunch of games that run at 60 on switch, though I don't think that means much

this is about a hypothetical mobile device, and the quest and what's possible with phone VR show you can do VR with a mobile device

and indeed they already have with Labo - the games are simplistic but they don't cause sickness or anything

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
If multiple Nintendo EPD groups were focusing on VR, they could probably kick the thing into the mainstream.

Well, almost. I think the current costs are too big even for them. But we're not far. Unfortunately, I don't see Nintendo going back to two platforms or ditching the hybrid form factor for VR. I also don't see them making compromises on the Switch 2 price to make it VR-capable (though a 3 in 1 hybrid is certainly a neat concept) even if it's theoretically doable.

Alas.

They wouldn't need two systems. Make a hybrid Switch VR/TV console(with a slightly boosted chipset) instead of a hybrid handheld/TV console.

Cart slot to play normal Switch games on a giant virtual screen, VR headset can be docked to play Switch games on tv. Plus a few download only VR exclusives using current Switch games/engines as their base, a handful of VR modes added to current titles, VR enhanced retro games..and the rest VR ports from 3rd parties. Plenty of stuff Nintendo could do without breaking the bank.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
VR and gaming in general needs more games like Astro Bot, so my answer is a resounding "Yes!".

But knowing Nintendo they will only embrace VR if the tech is well-established and a secure source of profit. So... yeah, I won't hold my breath.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I don't.

I'm hopeful that the Virtual Boy still haunts them.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is the last company I'd want to buy a VR headset from. That shit would be cheap as fuck.

Maybe in 10-15 years.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Don't really want Nintendo putting its focus on VR. On top of that they've never really been on the forefront for raw power input, and I don't think VR is the kind of space where you want low specs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Give me Super Mario Galaxy in VR Nintendo! Shut up and take my money
Bruh, imagine standing in your living room and the planets are spread out all around you.
And lil mario slingshotting beween them.
D4m-vHIU0AAl26G.jpg

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
There is already an on-going discussion topic for unported arcade games that is active right now: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ar...side-japan-or-near-their-release-date.182451/
Bruh, imagine standing in your living room and the planets are spread out all around you.
And lil mario slingshotting beween them.
D4m-vHIU0AAl26G.jpg

Exactly. Pretty much every 3D Mario game would be epic in VR

Pikmin would look legit too. Tiny diorama world in your headset

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, stuff like Wii Sports in VR just seems to counter to what made that game great. I'd prefer games to be more social and less isolated.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if there's a single Switch game that runs at 60+ fps.

Switch games can't run above 60 fps because the screen itself can only refresh 60 times per second. But there are plenty that run at at 60 consistently. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers for instance (outside of extreme scenarios like multiplayer with lots of characters.)

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Nah, stuff like Wii Sports in VR just seems to counter to what made that game great. I'd prefer games to be more social and less isolated.
There are two sides to social gaming. One is local co-op which is what you describe, and the other is multiplayer.

VR is as social as it gets in multiplayer gaming. It can be very social with local co-op as well via party games like Beat Saber or with asymmetrical games. There's no reason Nintendo can't build up a decent library of such games.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
There are two sides to social gaming. One is local co-op which is what you describe, and the other is multiplayer.

VR is as social as it gets in multiplayer gaming. It can be very social with local co-op as well via party games like Beat Saber or with asymmetrical games. There's no reason Nintendo can't build up a decent library of such games.
When you say multiplayer do you mean...online? Wii Sports is 4 player multiplayer and that's what I was talking about.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
When you say multiplayer do you mean...online? Wii Sports is 4 player multiplayer and that's what I was talking about.
Yes, online. In VR everyone drives an avatar with their own body language, which means you're not looking at animated characters anymore, you're looking at real people, which is why VR shines so well online because it brings a social element that feels the closest to real life.

You can still do 4 player local co-op gameplay with VR though, where either everyone has a headset or only one person uses a headset and the others use the TV, which would make it an asymmetrical game.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, online. In VR everyone drives an avatar with their own body language, which means you're not looking at animated characters anymore, you're looking at real people, which is why VR shines so well online because it brings a social element that feels the closest to real life.
Well yeah that's cool I guess. I don't think it's really my type of thing but I should change my wording a bit. I suppose I still separate online gaming from being social and that's probably just my own dislike of it.

So with that said I'd still prefer Nintendo not waste resources on it, I'd really like them to go back to stuff like Wii Sports for offline social gaming. If they include an online VR mode, that's cool too.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most of Nintendo franchises are either plattaformers or third persons games, going vr would make no sense.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, their release schedule is already slim as it is, I'd rather not see them split resources again. Their hardware would also really struggle with VR.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
Sorry, have to post it.

youtu.be

Mario Kart VR 動手玩 | Engadget 中文版

小編也好想去東京的 VR Zone Shinjuku 玩 Mario Kart VR 啊!***Please contact us via our Facebook page for licensing enquiries.***現在就訂閱 Engadget 中文版吧!http://goo.gl/69kUk相關報...

How could you not want something like this?
Besides, Nintendo has lots of IPs that could potentially fit VR.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be the next Nintendo console. A stand alone wireless VR headset. Something like the Nintendo ON fanmade helmet from years ago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Sorry, have to post it.

youtu.be

Mario Kart VR 動手玩 | Engadget 中文版

小編也好想去東京的 VR Zone Shinjuku 玩 Mario Kart VR 啊!***Please contact us via our Facebook page for licensing enquiries.***現在就訂閱 Engadget 中文版吧!http://goo.gl/69kUk相關報...

How could you not want something like this?
Besides, Nintendo has lots of IPs that could potentially fit VR.
I wonder about the accessibility regarding motion sickness from a VR mario kart honestly.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with your desire isn't the potential it's where tech is right now and nintendo likes to make products under 350$. That's not happening cause nintendo won't spend the money on performance which you can't gimp in VR.