• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
There are only a handful of titles worth even considering a remake for so no, I'd rather get new experiences.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's start with the Demon's Souls Remake as a launch title for PS5.

Jan 21, 2019
I had no interest in original FF7, game looks terrible. I'm playing the remake and loving it.
Same with Resident Evil, I hated the tank controls so I never got far into them. The RE2 and RE3 remakes on the other hand were amazing.

Bring on the remakes.

So why do you care about those old games anyway. Wouldn't you enjoy a new Third Person Resi and a New Final Fantasy the same way without them beim remakes of older games.

If you have no interest in the old games other than being intrigued by the love old people have for them, why would you want a remake other than it is a "new" shiney AAA game.

This also makes no sense considering that remakes rarely do the stuff that made the originals master pieces. So for you it's just a new game, for old folk it's not the old game. So what is it? It's a colossal waste of recources that could've gone into something new and creative. But it's just a safe bet for investors and a perfect way for old people who only care about their childhood favorites to have those meals again.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are underestimating the costs and budget needed to remake these kind of games for PS5/XSX level hardware.
We didnt even get a new mainline GTA this generation and you think they are gonna provide a GTA 3 Remake while they have to release and keep updating a new GTA 6 ?

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Yep, I'm fine with it too. Lots of amazing stories are stuck on dead platforms, behind antiquated gameplay and graphics. I think they deserve a retelling with modern graphics, gameplay and voice acting.

Last edited:

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I think you are underestimating the costs and budget needed to remake these kind of games for PS5/XSX level hardware.
We didnt even get a new mainline GTA this generation and you think they are gonna provide a GTA 3 Remake while they have to release and keep updating a new GTA 6 ?

This. A remake of GTA 3 to next-gen standards would cost more than the vast majority of current-gen AAA games. People underestimate the efforts of this because they think the game already exist, when the creation of 3d assets alone is extremely expensive.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I disagree and want devs to go all out with new games that I haven't played before.

Don't need a PS5 to play Silent Hill.

This

I feel like people don't even want new games anymore considering the amount of thirst people have for the same games they have already played

New games and spiritual successors, along with remasters of classic games, will forever be better than playing the same games again, but prettier

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
So why do you care about those old games anyway. Wouldn't you enjoy a new Third Person Resi and a New Final Fantasy the same way without them beim remakes of older games.

If you have no interest in the old games other than being intrigued by the love old people have for them, why would you want a remake other than it is a "new" shiney AAA game.

This also makes no sense considering that remakes rarely do the stuff that made the originals master pieces. So for you it's just a new game, for old folk it's not the old game. So what is it? It's a colossal waste of recources that could've gone into something new and creative. But it's just a safe bet for investors and a perfect way for old people who only care about their childhood favorites to have those meals again.
I mean, it's pretty simple:
I'd take one good remake over 10 mediocre new games.
I already know old games are good. Remakes just make them better. A new game can be just as much of a waste of resources if it turns out bad and everyone hates it.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

10/10 post

Remakes can be good, but they will always be the safe and boring choice

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
People want remakes because it's tangible, they know what they want. I'd kill for the Jak series to be remade on PS5, but I wouldn't be opposed to a completely new IP in that same genre.

It's up to publishers/devs to actually give us what we didn't know that we wanted

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Should they use the new Technology (someone on resetera made a thread about it) for easy remasters and remarks, I sadly forgot the name but it was amazing..

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I disagree...I don't want remakes (nor remasters)...make new games or sequels/prequels to older games.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Or maybe they could use their little creative brains and make something new instead of endless sequels and remakes?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People want remakes because it's tangible, they know what they want. I'd kill for the Jak series to be remade on PS5, but I wouldn't be opposed to a completely new IP in that same genre.

It's up to publishers/devs to actually give us what we didn't know that we wanted

You could always hope for a new Jak game, that seems to be the most logical thing to want, more so than a remake or a spiritual successor

Jan 21, 2019
I mean, it's pretty simple:

I already know old games are good. Remakes just make them better. A new game can be just as much of a waste of resources if it turns out bad and everyone hates it.
That argument is so hollow it's incredible.

Good stuff is better than bad stuff. So I take good stuff.

What? A remake is not guaranteed to be great. As I said these remakes have nothing in common with their originals except some common plot points. They are good games because good teams were given enough money and time to create them. It has nothing to do with the original being good as only 10% of the original is still there. There original game is a safety net for investors and nothing more. Those teams could've made a great original IP. Or have we lost the ability to make good new games? I take 1 Horizon over 10 Resident Evil remakes.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I prefer the devs to give us new ips... and a Parasite Eve remake.

That's all i need, kind of a middle ground.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
You could always hope for a new Jak game, that seems to be the most logical thing to want, more so than a remake or a spiritual successor
True.

I still think that Jak is possible in the same way that Crash/Spyro were remade. They follow the same format of a trilogy + a racing game.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
That argument is so hollow it's incredible.

Good stuff is better than bad stuff. So I take good stuff.

What? A remake is not guaranteed to be great. As I said these remakes have nothing in common with their originals except some common plot points. They are good games because good teams were given enough money and time to create them. It has nothing to do with the original being good as only 10% of the original is still there. There original game is a safety net for investors and nothing more. Those teams could've made a great original IP. Or have we lost the ability to make good new games? I take 1 Horizon over 10 Resident Evil remakes.
I'm not arguing with you, I'm just telling you why I want to play them. You can believe what you want, but that's not going to stop me from wanting to play an updated version of old games.
You're the hollow one here :)
52245.jpg

Jan 21, 2019
I'm not arguing with you, I'm just telling you why I want to play them. You can believe what you want, but that's not going to stop me from wanting to play an updated version of old games.
You're the hollow one here :)
52245.jpg

Yeah I'm the Hollow one, I'm the old fuck that hates it's own generation. That's why I want young people to take the lead instead of being forced to recreate what old people once enjoyed. Both Square and Capcom said that they put YOUNG devs at the held of these remakes. What a colossal tragedy. Young people brimming with energy and talent and creativity being forced by old folks to remake games when they could be creating the Resident Evils, the Final Fantasys, Silent Hills of their generation like our fucking generation did when we were in their position. But I get it. Gaming is too big now, the hierarchies have formed and are pressuring for safe investments and good ROI. It's a sad reality that I have to deal with myself.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Personally, I'm all about fresh ideas and new things. I'm always more excited about exploring something new without any preconceptions, rather than experiencing a new take on something familiar - at least that way I'm meeting something on it's own terms, rather than on mine.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Funny, I want literally the exact opposite.

8th and 9th gen games already take long enough to make, you want developers to space out their new offerings with retreading ground of games you can already play??

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
True.

I still think that Jak is possible in the same way that Crash/Spyro were remade. They follow the same format of a trilogy + a racing game.

That might be good, but it just seems pointless to me, The Jak games are still fun games.

They're not even like the old Resi or FF games where a remake could change the gameplay up.

Jak being the same game, but with 2020 graphics, just seems like a massive waste of time, money and resources to me

I'd much rather they just make a new Jak game rather than painstakingly rebuilding the same levels but with better models and textures. Or I'd rather we get a new IP that follows the Jak formula

Look at Resi 3 and R&C 2016, both were good but had to cut content. A new game, new entry, or new IP, will always be more exciting than a remake. It's why everyone being so into having all their fave games remade seems wild to me.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
That might be good, but it just seems pointless to me, The Jak games are still fun games.

They're not even like the old Resi or FF games where a remake could change the gameplay up.

Jak being the same game, but with 2020 graphics, just seems like a massive waste of time, money and resources to me

I'd much rather they just make a new Jak game rather than painstakingly rebuilding the same levels but with better models and textures. Or I'd rather we get a new IP that follows the Jak formula

Look at Resi 3 and R&C 2016, both were good but had to cut content. A new game, new entry, or new IP, will always be more exciting than a remake. It's why everyone being so into having all their fave games remade seems wild to me.
I do agree to be fair.

It's just frustrating how the best way to play Jak is still on PS2 and for the most part, PS3.

The vita ports are horrendous and the PS4 emulation just feels really bad with input lag/frame rate drops - I say this as someone who's played each game 10+ times lol

I think that's why I still want something done with those games.

Jan 21, 2019
What I want is every game to be easily accessible. And I think Microsoft is doing a wonderful job with their enhanced BC program of making old games available and slightly upgraded without hogging the capacities of developers.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Please no, I have zero interest in remakes. I would't even buy remakes of my favourite games. Let's hope the game industry isn't becoming the next Hollywood.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I do agree to be fair.

It's just frustrating how the best way to play Jak is still on PS2 and for the most part, PS3.

The vita ports are horrendous and the PS4 emulation just feels really bad with input lag/frame rate drops - I say this as someone who's played each game 10+ times lol

I think that's why I still want something done with those games.

Yeah and that's completely understandable

Ideally Jak 4 should come out and have a "Jak 1-3 4k remastered edition" come out with the season pass

Oct 28, 2017
No thanks, we already had enough remakes/remasters this gen. I don't mind the odd one here and there, but new technology should focus on new experiences, those old games still exist if you really want to play them.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Depends on the studio. Square has completely lost any idea in how to progress Final Fantasy as a franchise, so they may as well keep rehash the games they made when they were actually competent.
The Zelda team at Nintendo needs to focus on making new games, because they proved they still got it with BotW.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
What I want is every game to be easily accessible. And I think Microsoft is doing a wonderful job with their enhanced BC program of making old games available and slightly upgraded without hogging the capacities of developers.

This! Sadly they have stopped doing that, while leaving out many of their own classics (like the MechAssault), which is a real shame :( Having a scenario where you could put any Xbox disc from the last three generations into your Series X and play them with improved frame rate would be a dream <3

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Not every developer should be in the remake business. Some games of the past don't need to be remade, not everybody has catalogs that have nostalgia and quality like Square & Capcom.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This

I feel like people don't even want new games anymore considering the amount of thirst people have for the same games they have already played

New games and spiritual successors, along with remasters of classic games, will forever be better than playing the same games again, but prettier
Where's my spiritual successor to Legacy of Kain?

All right, then give me Blood Omen HD for PC, dammit.

Honestly, I've got mixed feelings on this. I like that I'm able to play games on PC that I never got to play when they originally came out on consoles, like the Resi REmakes, Crash + Spyro, as well as Halo MCC.

But if the game's readily available on modern platforms (like FF7, the Tomb Raider games, or Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver and onwards), it feels.. redundant.

If the originals can be easily obtained and played, remakes feel like a lavish and expensive undertaking that doesn't really move the medium forward

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want remakes of the remakes. With director cuts and never before seen plot points.