• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of us from the PS1 and PS2 generation are all grown up now with deep nostalgia from our childhood years. What better way to cater to that that remaking our favourite games with modern graphics. We've seen the popularity and sales success of Resident Evil/ Final Fantasy VII so clearly there's a market for it.
I say they should go all out; Metal Gear solid, Ape Escape, Silent Hill, San Andreas, GTA3, etc. Obviously I also want to see new IPs but there's no reason they can't do both.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
I disagree and want devs to go all out with new games that I haven't played before.

Don't need a PS5 to play Silent Hill.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Each remake means the main team won't be working on something new, not all studios can afford to do both at the same time. The remakes I'd really love to see will never happen so I'd rather just get new games and sequels.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind more good remakes but not... spoiler for very recent game
remakes that are more like "what if?" stories that are less interesting than the original stories. I rather they just do a proper sequel at that point.

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously I also want to see new IPs but there's no reason they can't do both.

There are plenty of reasons why they can't do both at the same time, resources are not infinite and not every studio has enough manpower to handle both developing a new IP and Remake several titles.

For example remaking GTA 3 from the ground-up can take up to 5 years or even more going by Rockstar standards and they can use that time, money and manpower to other projects.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather devs work on new things. I've already played the originals. I'm down with some remasters though.

OP
OP
Ivanovic

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind more good remakes but not, spoiler for very recent game
remakes that are more like "what if?" stories that are less interesting than the original stories. I rather they just do a proper sequel at that point.
I would like to see the FFVII approach where they take some liberty with the original storyline instead of a copy and paste with better graphics.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Soooo many abandoned Playstation IP that need to come back to us.

I'm all in here. Alongside some new IP to fill out the bunch.

Colony Wars, I've missed you. šŸ’•

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with remakes as long as they modernize the game (FF7/RE2) rather than have a game that just plays identical with updated graphics (crash).

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Been there, done that, it lives on in my memory.

I'd highly prefer to get new memorable experiences than relive ones I already have. But that's just my personal preference, I can see why others would prefer reliving them.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
You will get even less games from some publisher that will be updated for years and you will like it XD

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There's only a couple of old PS1 games I'd love to see remade since they either haven't aged that well in my opinion or they never got to reach their potential in the first place (Xenogears comes to mind), but other than that, I'll have to say I'm also in the "just give me completely new experiences thanks" camp.

Jan 21, 2019
I disagree and want devs to go all out with new games that I haven't played before.

Don't need a PS5 to play Silent Hill.

I'm really getting tired of people begging for remakes. When did they lose the will to experience new stuff. Always wanting to relive the old. It's like when people start to lose touch with modern music and only listen to the songs from their teens.

Fuck nostalgia, let the past slumber, those games are still there, still great. Make new games, with new premises, worlds, characters, subjects and themes. Try something new, dare something new.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really getting tired of people begging for remakes. When did they lose the will to experience new stuff. Always wanting to relive the old. It's like when people start to lose touch with modern music and only listen to the songs from their teens.

Fuck nostalgia, let the past slumber, those games are still there, still great. Make new games, with new premises, worlds, characters, subjects and themes. Try something new, dare something new.
I dunno, people haven't played them and don't have the patience to play PS1 and PS2 gen games? It's 2020 there are people that already legal age now when they were born/babies during the PS2/Xbox/GC era. There's a whole new generation of people that have only discovered RE2 recently through the remake.

We're not asking for every game to be remade. Only the ones that were the best of the bunch.

Jan 21, 2019
I dunno, people haven't played them and don't have the patience to play PS1 and PS2 gen games? It's 2020 there are people that already legal age now when they were born/babies during the PS2/Xbox/GC era. There's a whole new generation of people that have only discovered RE2 recently through the remake.

We're not asking for every game to be remade. Only the ones that were the best of the bunch.

But the best of the bunch are still playable and wonderful. I went back and played and enjoyed many classics and access today is much much much easier than it was just 10 years ago. If you can't take the controls or the graphics, are you really interested in the game? When you played Resi 2 Remake, you didn't play the original. These are completely different experiences. So if you wanted the Resi 2 ich scratched, did it really? It's nothing like Resi 2.

And I find the idea to remake the best of the bunch funny, we should be remaking those games that weren't the best, that were interesting but failed somehow to give them new life. Not those that were 10/10 when they released. Or remake obscure games that are great. Like Parasite Eve that deserve a larger audience, not something that millions are already familiar with and have access to easily.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
No thanks, make new games instead.
Who knows, that new game could end up being a new game you like even more than the old ones you want remade.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
But the best of the bunch are still playable and wonderful. I went back and played and enjoyed many classics and access today is much much much easier than it was just 10 years ago. If you can't take the controls or the graphics, are you really interested in the game?
It's great for me and you but there's little interest in those types of graphics when the latest generation of gamers have access to the more recent good looking games today.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Make new games and IP's instead, please.

There has been enough remakes and remasters already to nostalgia bait or just remastering year old games.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
But the best of the bunch are still playable and wonderful. I went back and played and enjoyed many classics and access today is much much much easier than it was just 10 years ago. If you can't take the controls or the graphics, are you really interested in the game?
I had no interest in original FF7, game looks terrible. I'm playing the remake and loving it.
Same with Resident Evil, I hated the tank controls so I never got far into them. The RE2 and RE3 remakes on the other hand were amazing.

Bring on the remakes.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Obviously I also want to see new IPs but there's no reason they can't do both.

Of course there are. A remake takes a full development team, and millions of dollars. Neither budgets nor resources exist in a vacuum, and any team developing a AAA remake like FFVIIR is a team that won't be developing a new game in the meantime. There is only a limited number of major projects a publisher can suport at any given time. Things are different with quick remasters or ports.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Capcom should remake RE3R yeah.
Seriously tho I'm not against this, but only if they tried to temake died franchises, I love what capcom did with RE2R and to a lesser extent to RE3R, square enix with FF7R, but I will rather have franchises no longer have a place in the industry, and give them another chance to shine.

Last edited:

Edify

Oct 28, 2017

What amazes me is many of these people are younger than me. I'm in my thirties, my first console was a Megadrive/Genesis and I'm super eager to play new games. In fact, I'm playing a last gen port right now (Yakuza 3) and it's struggling to hold my attention through slower sections.

I've just said something like this in another thread, but I'm not buying a PS5 to play Okami and RE4, I played them on the PS2.

Jan 21, 2019
It's great for me and you but there's little interest in those types of graphics when the latest generation of gamers have access to the more recent good looking games today.
So why bother with remakes. They have no interest. They want their own classics when they are our age. Why feed them something we grew up with.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Remasters and remakes did absolutely nothing for me this generation, and they will do absolutely nothing for me next generation. I hope we see more games rather than the old games we have seen before; new stories, new adventures....even if they are in an existing universe.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, also same with sequels. This gen was the worst we have ever had IMHO for these reasons.

Jan 21, 2019
This generation deserves their own Silent Hills, Metal Gear Solids and GTAs.
I think it's the conservative kind of thinking that them young folks don't know what actual video games, so let's remake them so they play real games like Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil 2.

Let the new generations have new experiences that speak to them and we older folk can join the ride enjoy what a new generation of developers creates with the medium instead of recreating fleeting old memories.

No, also same with sequels. This gen was the worst we have ever had IMHO for these reasons.

I had hoped so much that the success of Horizon would encourage more new IP with bigger budgets.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Old games being available on new consoles is great. Old games being available on new consoles with graphical improvements (widescreen, higher resolution, etc.) is even better. But full remakes, the sort that are basically a new game from a development-resources perspective? Those I could do without, outside of exceedingly rare circumstances. I'd rather see new games.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I think the occasional remake now and again is good, but I would be turned off if it was a main focus of devs. Not every game needs to be remade for the sake of nostalgia.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
So why bother with remakes. They have no interest. They want their own classics when they are our age. Why feed them something we grew up with.
First, not only do you interest the new people with better production values, the hype of people who have played them carries over to the new people. This is what interests companies.

Second, how many times have we said back then that remaking FF7 was Square Enix's panic button? I believe one of the reasons they finally pulled the trigger is because of the series of events that lead to the downfall of the FF name. Now you have rumors of Konami looking to remake Silent Hills to bring back interest to the franchise. Remaking is a way to reinvigorate the reputation of the series.

Third, remakes makes a ton of money for companies. Really that's the reason.

Jan 21, 2019
First, not only do you interest the new people with better production values, the hype of people who have played them carries over to the new people. This is what interests companies.

Second, how many times have we said back then that remaking FF7 was Square Enix's panic button? I believe one of the reasons they finally pulled the trigger is because of the series of events that lead to the downfall of the FF name. Now you have rumors of Konami looking to remake Silent Hills to bring back interest to the franchise. Remaking is a way to reinvigorate the reputation of the series.

Third, remakes makes a ton of money for companies. Really that's the reason.
I know the market value of this stuff. This is the same reason big Hollywood studios never create anything original. But I hate it. It's like our generation lived in the golden age of AAA budget and indie creativity. But the newer generation only get the successful stuff that stuck with us. That is boring and limits the artistic endeavors of the medium.