• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
edit- I had not realized this series had not ended so obviously that changed my perspective a little.

I'm fairly new to graphic novels. I've read a few in the past but I've usually dropped them or can barely recall what I ever read (other than Transmetropolitan, which is my #1 as of now; I couldn't put it down). I'm not into superhero comics. I've read some of the "must reads" and they usually have zero impact on me.

A few months ago, I realized my college library has a vast, diverse assortment of graphic novels and I've been checking out new reads every couple of weeks.

I picked up the first book of Saga based on the cover and illustrations alone. I was instantly hooked. I adore the characters, the setting, the themes, the illustration, the plot - simply everything about it. I knocked out the first book within two days and I'll be done with the second by today.

Last night, I googled around to see if there was something in film/television that was in the works but the most I could find was that Brian K. Vaughn had made an 8-figure deal with Legendary to bring some of his works to life but in another article he and Fiona Staples the technology isn't there to bring this world to life quite yet.

Now I recognize that there would be a hefty cost in bringing this project to film/television but it's hard for me to believe the tech isn't there yet. I also recognize there's potentially not mainstream recognition for the series that would bring enough people in to recoup cost unless they put there all in to it with marketing and word of mouth.

However, even with those downsides, there is so much story and lore that I truly believe would appeal to casual audiences who have not heard of or read the story. There are so many twists and turns to keep people engaged, relatable characters and themes, an interesting overarching plot, such as the war and its affects on the inhabitants throughout the galaxy, an interesting setting with different locales to keep from being stale.

All that to say, I really want Saga to get the TV show treatment. No watered down version either, give it to HBO or any other platform that will see it through and keep the character of the novel itself.

What do y'all think?? I know there's gotta be some fans here as well.

Also, is Saga an outlier of Brian K. Vaughan's works? If not, what should I check out next??

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I want them to finish the series first before any adaptation is made. If the series had to end on the same cliffhanger before the hiatus the comic did, that would be infuriating.

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I agree, but I want them to finish the series first before any adaptation is made. If the series had to end on the same cliffhanger before the hiatus the comic did, that would be infuriating.

Oh fuckkkk, I had no idea this was the case; I assumed it had long been finished.

Sure but it would be one expensive show.

This is probably the biggest thing holding it back from my perspective. Maybe his "the tech ain't there" is more about the high price of the tech that is there, where he'd want to be able to have access to that and more when it's eventually cheaper. The biggest conundrum is taking the risk on a show that doesn't have an inherent mainstream following like superhero movies, where they're guaranteed to make kaboodles of money back even in the worst releases.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it would be a good choice for a network looking for their own Game of Thrones / prestige high concept genre series... better than Dune, certainly. Fingers crossed that this happens eventually.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
If Game of Thrones taught us anything, I'd rather they wait until Saga is actually complete before they try to adapt it.

I like all of BKV's stuff, but they are definitely each from the time they were made. Runaways and Y: The Last Man both have casual usage of homophobic slurs in them, but capture the exact tone of how teenagers spoke the early 2000s. Ex Machina similarly is completely colored by the post 9/11 cultural landscape that it was made in. Each of them is great though, and well worth reading, it's just jarring now to read Runaways and have a casual joke about the word "retarded" in the first 3 pages. Saga and his other recent series Paper Girls are also both great, and Paper Girls especially I thought had some fantastic characters.

I'd recommend reading all of his comics, just be aware going in that parts of the older ones aged pretty poorly. It's definitely something he improved on in his later comics.

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
We have Brian K. Vaughn on record last year saying there are another 54 issues coming.

yesssssssssssssss. Hopefully that means I started reading around the perfect time then.

If it went on hiatus in 2018, that would have been around the time he signed the deal with Legendary so maybe that had some impact. I hope they're not shit out just to finish.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Yeah, it's definitely going to end but who knows when at this point? I also think this is the one series (well, maybe Sandman) that doesn't need to be filmed because there's no way it'll live up to what we already have.

I would love to see some reactions to people watching certain parts of the series though. I thought GoT reactions were hilarious and this would provide so many more crazy overreactions.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's a very successful comic that has won a lot of awards. Hopefully that would help secure some funding. It would be a great show.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Nah no thanks. Enjoying the comic but theres so much shit in there that would not fly or just be removed for live action

Some things are just suited to the comic medium and thats ok.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the comic immensely when it first started but lost interest somewhere in one of gaps they would take.

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It's ok to say comic books.

I just wasn't sure of the nomenclature tbh. I mostly see everything referred to as graphic novels outside of superhero comics. Like I said, I'm fairly new to these.

Also, this is an aside but I started The Sandman volumes as well and also can't stop reading them. The first volume was honestly not that great (and this is even admitted by Gaiman in Volume 1) and I almost didn't pick up the next one but I'm so glad I did. The Doll's House saga was fucking amazing and I can't wait to dive into this series.

Sandman is a series I genuinely believe should never leave its current format, as well as Transmetropolitan.

Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure I remember Vaughan saying that he liked that the comic is unadaptable.

I've seen people say this as well, more along the lines of "not everything has to be brought to film" and hating that "comics are looked at as a lower format that can only be saved by film". I do think they have a solid point but as far as being in adaptable, it's hard for me to point out things in Saga that wouldn't translate well.

The point that tech may not be there for it is honestly a valid point the more I think about it.

Last edited:

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Also, this is an aside but I started The Sandman volumes as well and also can't stop reading them. The first volume was honestly not that great (and this is even admitted by Gaiman in Volume 1) and I almost didn't pick up the next one but I'm so glad I did. The Doll's House saga was fucking amazing and I can't wait to dive into this series.

Sandman is a series I genuinely believe should never leave its current format, as well as Transmetropolitan.
you're in for a real treat with Sandman vol.3: Season of Mists. My favorite Sandman book and one of the straight up best books ever.

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
you're in for a real treat with Sandman vol.3: Season of Mists. My favorite Sandman book and one of the straight up best books ever.

Volume 3 is actually Dream Country but it's four shorter stories with no real overarching plot.

Calliope, A Dream of a Thousand Cats, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Façade. It was weaker than The Doll's House but I thoroughly enjoyed everything but A Midsummer's Night Dream, as I have never read that play so I have no reference to go off of (meaning I was pretty lost). I did like that it referenced back to the deal he made with Shakespeare in the story where he meets Hob Gadling every 100 years. That was one of my favorite stories.

Very excited for Seasons of the Mist though, I'm actually picking that one up tomorrow!

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just finally want an ending. That's if my heart can take it.
We're only half way through, baby. It's been quite the hiatus so far but boy I can't wait for the story to continue. Never been one much for comics myself - do enjoy a fair amount of one-shot graphic novels - but Saga really is something special.

Oct 30, 2017
HBO or bust, this show would absolutely need a gigantic budget. I'd rather a show than movies, fuck that. Brian K Vaughan has gone on record of saying that he purposefully made the comic hard to adapt, in a pseudo attempt at keeping it a comic book. I sort of agree but well, imagine a show with the proper budget, acting, visuals, and scale... like a faithful adaptation in live action form. it would be glorious

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
We have Brian K. Vaughn on record last year saying there are another 54 issues coming. But when they start actually releasing the comic again is anyone's guess, especially during COVID.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong and no idea if it would even conflict with Saga but isn't Brian K. Vaughn also doing the script work for the Gundam Live Action movie?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
You'd have to do an animated show. A live action series would be outrageously expensive, if you wanted to do the comic justice at all.

That being said, it would be a great property to adapt. Has HBO done anything animated lately?

Also, this.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Volume 3 is actually Dream Country but it's four shorter stories with no real overarching plot.

Calliope, A Dream of a Thousand Cats, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Façade. It was weaker than The Doll's House but I thoroughly enjoyed everything but A Midsummer's Night Dream, as I have never read that play so I have no reference to go off of (meaning I was pretty lost). I did like that it referenced back to the deal he made with Shakespeare in the story where he meets Hob Gadling every 100 years. That was one of my favorite stories.

Very excited for Seasons of the Mist though, I'm actually picking that one up tomorrow!
My bad, meant 4. Yeah, 3 was just okay but because it's still Sandman thats pretty damn good.

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
HBO or bust, this show would absolutely need a gigantic budget. I'd rather a show than movies, fuck that. Brian K Vaughan has gone on record of saying that he purposefully made the comic hard to adapt, in a pseudo attempt at keeping it a comic book. I sort of agree but well, imagine a show with the proper budget, acting, visuals, and scale... like a faithful adaptation in live action form. it would be glorious

Yeah, HBO is exactly who I would want to have a hand in it. I can't imagine any other network or streaming service handling it or treating it the way it would deserve.

and yeah, I would not want this to be a movie. There's too much there to explore in the span of 90m to 3hrs.

Out of curiosity, what elements do y'all think we would be too expensive to recreate with the use of modern CGI (not that that's not costly within itself)?

Also, glad to hear that the hiatus is most likely due to other factors but he's still working. That makes me feel a lot more hopeful about the series picking back up. My only other experience with a series going dead was 'Calexit' which I really enjoyed and I'm 90% sure it's never going to be revisited.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
You are only 2 volumes in... It gets much better and you'll understand soon why its unfilmable and should stay that way.

What a lovely beautiful heartbreaking uplifting comic. You'll get attached to the characters and your heart will be smashed and others will pick up the pieces. It's one of the best comics ever and I hope to see it back early 2021. They are currently working on building up a backlog of issues to avoid delays.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

But I'd prefer it to be animated.
It would make more sense budget wise as well.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure I remember Vaughan saying that he liked that the comic is unadaptable.
Nah no thanks. Enjoying the comic but theres so much shit in there that would not fly or just be removed for live action

Some things are just suited to the comic medium and thats ok.
It's totally adaptable as long as you don't try to cram it in to a movie format. Especially with today's tech. The real question is if it's financially feasible because holy shit would it be expensive in live action. Animated would be completely do-able on the right network though (Amazon/HBO/etc).

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, HBO is exactly who I would want to have a hand in it. I can't imagine any other network or streaming service handling it or treating it the way it would deserve.

and yeah, I would not want this to be a movie. There's too much there to explore in the span of 90m to 3hrs.

Out of curiosity, what elements do y'all think we would be too expensive to recreate with the use of modern CGI (not that that's not costly within itself)?

Also, glad to hear that the hiatus is most likely due to other factors but he's still working. That makes me feel a lot more hopeful about the series picking back up. My only other experience with a series going dead was 'Calexit' which I really enjoyed and I'm 90% sure it's never going to be revisited.

They stopped because they needed a break and didn't want to force out bad issues. They wanted to in their own words get more life experience as this is a very personal story to them. It will be finished and is at the halfway point.

They go to so many places that cgi would be so expensive.

While you wait read Y the Last Man. It's also by BKV and is amazing. Plus it's finished.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer for invincible tells me there could be an incredible animated Saga series that does it justice and uses Fionas art style which imo is essential.
Yeah I thought of Invincible while I was typing.
Do what they are doing for that with Saga.
But it will be better, cuz its Saga.

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Also careful googling Saga because massive spoilers will pop up

OP
OP
Jerm

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Is the Saga Compendium 1 any different from the hardcovers? My library doesn't stock book 3. They do have individual volumes but I'd rather finish it all in one go cause I'd have to check them out one by one since I have a 5 book limit and I'm still trying to get through Sandman, Blankets, and Paper Girls.

I've just read the quality is kind of shoddy in some reviews but as long as the art is the same and the pages aren't so thin they bleed into the next I'm gonna check it out.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
Count me in the "animated or CG please" section. The compromises for live action wouldn't be worth it.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me I need to send in my issue #1 First Printing to get graded.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for someone to attempt the Worm web serial myself. That would probably be as challenging as adapting Saga considering the crazy places that story eventually goes.