• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

61GQkJh5koL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

this is pretty good tho

Oct 27, 2017
It kinda bummed me out that they tried to connect the next gen trilogy to the NES trilogy in the most half assed way. Just the characterization of Irene alone says mouthfuls.

Even though they don't get enough credit, I like the Sega versions of NG too. Even Ninja Gaiden Shadow wasn't too shabby.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The only actual throwback that even truly feels like Ninja Gaiden is the final game from Retro Game Challenge.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Not a ninja game, but Vice Project Doom plays remarkably similar to Ninja Gaiden on the NES. It's also just a lot of fun.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Gaiden was one of the first "cinematic" games. Sure it was a 2D side scroller known for being fucking hard as they get but damn if those cutscenes didn't really elevate the whole thing combined with the absolutely stunning musical score.

Yacht Club Games is making Cyber Shadow so you're in luck!

The art style in this actually reminds me of the SNES game Hagane. It even starred a cybernetic ninja.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Ninja Gaiden was one of the first "cinematic" games. Sure it was a 2D side scroller known for being fucking hard as they get but damn if those cutscenes didn't really elevate the whole thing combined with the absolutely stunning musical score.

Yep. Was literally playing the game even way back then to get to the next cut scene. There weren't too many NES games I can think of that came even remotely close to what Tecmo did in NG1 let alone 2 or 3.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's either this series or Castlevania on the NES that are my most influential ever. Love these games with a passion. While I would have loved an NGIV back in the day I'd be scared of it now. Seeing things like Double Dragon IV that look the part but just aren't good give me great pause. They'd have to get the absolute right team on it. And no, not the folks who made The Messenger. My myriad issues with the game aside, it's not a modern analogue despite it being a 2D sidescroller and the main character looking aesthetically similar.

I really wish the NTSC version of III wasn't quite such a kick in the balls. But I'm a happy owner of the Famicom version so I can just pop that in whenever I feel like I want more after II.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong to say I want both? While I never played the original III, and I thought Razor's Edge was okay, I'm really curious what Team Ninja has learned over the years and what they would bring to a new 3D Ninja Gaiden.

But, as I said earlier, the original NES Ninja Gaiden is one of the most iconic NES games, and its sequels are pretty good as well.

(Ryu Hayabusa for Smash.)

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Love 1 and 2 on the NES, two of my all time favorites. Was never good enough to beat 1, lol.
The music and the sound fx are so good. Instant nostalgia.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I always imagined a sequel continuing from the sequel OVA, resolving the plot points left open there, maybe tying it back into the DOA games that technically happen after.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Shinobi 3 is the best Shinobi game.
I'd argue that The GG Shinobi II: The Silent Fury for Game Gear is the best Shinobi game. Between Revenge, 3 and Silent Fury, I think each game has its merits, but I love the depth that Silent Fury adds to the series. The final level in particular is pretty awesome for how it tests your skill with each of the five ninja at your disposal.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The more I learn about Itagaki the more of an asshole he becomes. NES Ninja Gaiden is still great and I really need to get around to The Messenger.

May 15, 2019
I was hoping Mega Man 9 would set off a trend of more retro styled sequels mostly so we could see another 8 bit Ninja Gaiden. Alas.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Ninja Gaiden Shadow is way better than it has any right to be, if you have a hankering for more Ninja Gaiden I'd recommend that, one of my top five original GameBoy games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao!!!
I haven't seen this dude in the limelight for quite awhile.

there's another one where some level designer was showing him a level he'd worked on, and he was like "Why is there a puzzle here, and hall way here, and a health power up here? Replace them all with more combat and action. Anytime you find a place where you're not in combat, go back and add more combat."

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
there's another one where some level designer was showing him a level he'd worked on, and he was like "Why is there a puzzle here, and hall way here, and a health power up here? Replace them all with more combat and action. Anytime you find a place where you're not in combat, go back and add more combat."

That definitely explains a lot about Ninja Gaiden II's design philosophy. 😝

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely want both.

The Messenger isn't really similar at all, of course, and jury's out on Cyber Shadow, but I do have high expectations for Steel Assault.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited with Fumihiko Yasuda said Team Ninja was interested in Ninja Gaiden. The series deserves the best. The fact that they were so open about it makes me hope we could hear something sooner rather than later.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The most Ninja Gaiden like throwback game is actually Oniken by the Odallus/Blazing Chrome devs:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_oem0zwOwYc1uer1sro1_400.gifv

Trivia: it's said that Team Ninja purposefully decided to end the series at 2 but the American division of Tecmo insisted they make another sequel. Not wanting to undo NG2's ending they decided to make NG3 an "inter-quel", taking place between NG1 and 2. A fact lost on almost everyone in the west because there was no clear indication that this was the case in-game, though the manual clearly stated that Ashtar was still "biding his time" when the new enemy emerged. I guess it kinda went over everyone's head back then?

Also real talk: NG2 has the best end credits music on NES. The best, Jerry. I beat the game the first time when I was a kid and immediately fell in love. And ever since, I would beat the game on replays just to hear it again.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Loved the NES games as a kid the gameplay was so fluid and the cinematic were cool. I even had the FX Nine book. It was probably the first novel I ever read.

How were the sega games? I never tried them.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The story in the first two games was SO epic at the time. I had the novelisation of the first game and loved it as an 8 year old. The first two games really were the full package.

I did enjoy the 3D games, but was disappointed they couldn't top (or even approach) the story of 15 year old NES games.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I want a new Ninja Gaiden. And I mean the Itagaki series.

If their next project is Ni-Oh 3, I'm going to fucking die.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want a new Ninja Gaiden. And I mean the Itagaki series.

If their next project is Ni-Oh 3, I'm going to fucking die.

I think Ni Oh is very boring but I also hated Ninja Gaiden games from current Tecmo. I have no faith in a new NG game. But Itagaki series, yeah, they're my thing. It will never happen but Black and OG NG2 should be redone.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
I thought that was The Messenger in those screens at first...... so I guess we already have one OP