• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
539135-NESninjagaiden.jpg

This is the best action series on the NES hands down. The awesome gameplay, the incredible art style, the awesome cutscenes, and most importantly, that fucking music:

Itagaki once said he included the NES Ninja Gaiden games in the Xbox Ninja Gaiden so everyone could see how bad they were in comparison. He failed. The NES Ninja Gaiden games hold up magnificently. I love the Itagaki Ninja Gaiden, it's probably my favorite 3D action game of all time. But I like the NES Ninja Gaiden games way, way more. They've already tried -- and failed -- to reproduce the 3D Ninja Gaiden game twice. Abandon that model, and go back to the glorious Anime-inspired original.

maxresdefault.jpg

elmmhbdyngfpv82jye3j.jpg

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I also like the original NES games more, it's kind of baffling that such a popular series skipped the 16-bit consoles altogether.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the 3D games, but those NES games are just *chef's kiss.*

The original Ninja Gaiden is one of the defining games of the NES. And its sequels are pretty good too. (But taking away unlimited continues in the Western version of the 3rd game was bad, lol.)

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I approve of thread, but prefer Shinobi. I would love to see what a proper evolved take on the original Ninja Gaiden would look like though. Perhaps what a Ninja Gaiden IV would have looked like on the SNES or Neo Geo.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I like the nes games too but Itagaki's games are amazing and way better in my opinion. I wouldn't say no to a modern 2D entry though.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Love the originals. Always annoyed when I see people discussing the first Ninja Gaiden and it turns out they are talking about the 3d ones. Makes me feel old.

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
Wasn't Shadow Dancer on the Genesis or is that game completely different?

Loved Ninja Gaiden, Shadow Dancer and Shinobi series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Shadow Dancer on the Genesis or does that game completely different?

Loved Ninja Gaiden, Shadow Dancer and Shinobi series.

Shadow Dancer is the sequel to Shinobi.

Shinobi 3 is the best Shinobi game. Ironically I feel like Itagaki's Ninja Gaiden games felt more like a 3D shinobi than Ninja Gaiden, and similarly, I felt the 3D Shinobi games felt more like Ninja Gaiden than Shinobi.

I would kill for Itagaki to do a new Shinobi.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The real bullshit here is NES games that can be emulated on literally anything are not available for purchase on modern platforms. How is Ninja Gaiden 2 on Wii U but not Switch.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Upcoming Cyber Shadow seems to be close to Ninja Gaiden. that being said, yeah, a new NG game in the old style would be rad, i also like the old games more than the 3D ones and there is really no indie game emulating the "constantly running and striking with timing and precision" gameplay of those games.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I never played one of the older Ninja Gaiden games but I really want another game like Ninja Gaiden Black. One of the best games I played last gen.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
I know this isn't the point of the threat, but I would love to see the original NG trilogy on the NES remade in 3D. The story, music, characters, drama, it's already there. Even the cutscene directions! Facing off with Jacquio in next gen graphics. I can only dream.

Like another poster said above, at least we have The Messenger. It's turned out to be very different but I adored it for what it was.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played one of the older Ninja Gaiden games but I really want another game like Ninja Gaiden Black. One of the best games I played last gen.

The old Ninja Gaiden games separated the adults from the children. I remember I got drunk at a party once in college, and someone had a modded Xbox with Ninja Gaiden on the TV, and the reflexes kicked in and I made it all the way to Jaquio without dying, and drew a crowd to watch, lol.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Well, half of The Messenger is a great new Ninja Gaiden game. It just goes on for too long and turns into a pretty bad metroidvania halfway through.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Well, half of The Messenger is a great new Ninja Gaiden game. It just goes on for too long and turns into a pretty bad metroidvania halfway through.
It would be more interesting if the 16 bit section actually changed gameplay up a bit or something, imagine if it turned into a Shinobi-like game for example. Instead it's just prettier and more tiring.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
One of the first game series I can think of that spawned the whole " fucking birds!" Moments

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I love the NES games too, but damn I kinda hate them too because of the way the enemies respawn so... so much!

I'd have to say I prefer the 3D Ninja Gaiden games over the NES games.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Cyber Shadow looks so much better than that original Kickstarter game it spawned from, lol.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Bushiden is far less 8bit platformer-inspired than The Messenger or Cyber Shadow appears to be. However, it's almost impossible to make a 2d ninja game and not take some inspiration for the NES Ninja Gaiden games:

The game looks amazing, whatever the influences are. Can't wait to see more, and I hope your retweet of Summer Game Fest means we'll see more in the near future!

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The NES games are so good. i Never played them as a kid, but first time I played them a couple of years ago and I was instantly hooked. From the cut scenes to the music and of course the gameplay, just great all around. Would love another one

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking love Ninja Gaiden or Shadow Warriors as it was called here in Europe.
Played that game so much it has become muscle memory and I can still finish the game easily.