• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have an SNES until 1997. That didn't stop me from playing the heck out of Mega Man X, though:

EXClfERXQAIQ6Vi

I've seen some weirdos over the years imply that this is a bad port, but it couldn't be further from the truth. When this was released, this was a fantastic port, one of the best on PC at the time. And being that I played this way more than the SNES version over the years, I much prefer the soundtrack to the PC version.

This, sounds normal to me:

Along the same lines, despite playing the PSX version first, I also prefer the Windows soundtrack for Final Fantasy 7, especially with the special audio drivers installed. The Prologue and FFVII battle themes on PC sounds so great IMO:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some weirdos over the years imply that this is a bad port, but it couldn't be further from the truth. When this was released, this was a fantastic port, one of the best on PC at the time. And being that I played this way more than the SNES version over the years, I much prefer the soundtrack to the PC version.

I had this port as well, and yeah, it was pretty fantastic.

That being said, I still prefer the SNES OST. The PC music just felt butchered once I had a chance to rent (and later own) the SNES version.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I broadly prefer the XG version of FF VII's soundtrack, though being played by a MIDI synth has its limitations. Back in the day I chose a keyboard to buy based on it supporting XG as the softsynth hurt the game's performance on my PC. The keyboard's retired now, but I have a couple of XG modules.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had this port as well, and yeah, it was pretty fantastic.

That being said, I still prefer the SNES OST.

The main big fault I have with the PC version of MMX was the lack of ridable mechs. I actually didn't even know those were in MMX1 until I got the SNES version years later. I thought they were introduced in MMX2.

Also, I'm about 99% sure the hadouken isn't in the PC port, because I tried for days to unlock it and never could. I'm absolutely certain I satisfied the conditions, because I maxed out everything in the game.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Cant' say I agree with MMX. I just finished sampling some of them. They lose a lot of oomph. They're not awful mind you, but I miss those SNES drums.

FFVII PC is pretty good!

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Sorry, I just can't get behind this opinion. I love the SNES/PSX versions too much.

The PC version of MMX sounds somewhat close to using a Genesis soundchip. Maybe that's why you like it better?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'd have to disagree, but that is purely because I really love the SNES sound chips rendition of these things. A lot of this is both just the wider range and preferable instrumentation, as well as nostalgia. So I definitely prefer when the PC versions utilise a similar approach.

Always disliked the twangy treble heavy Sega sounds also for similar reasons.

On PC, I still love so much of the old SB sounds you can get from old DOS games, that consoles never captured.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I broadly prefer the XG version of FF VII's soundtrack, though being played by a MIDI synth has its limitations. Back in the day I chose a keyboard to buy based on it supporting XG as the softsynth hurt the game's performance on my PC. The keyboard's retired now, but I have a couple of XG modules.

not XG, but I have this:

EXCtLeqWkAEmIvp

This is a soundblaster pro, shaped like a keyboard. inside is a real, pure, yamaha OPL3 chip, the very same as a soundblaster. Those sliders on the upper right portion, actually are all the controls programmers have exposed via the soundblaster card, in dial form. Such a cool thing to dink with.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I can't imagine Mega Man X without those crunchy bass samples on the SNES.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The main big fault I have with the PC version of MMX was the lack of ridable mechs. I actually didn't even know those were in MMX1 until I got the SNES version years later. I thought they were introduced in MMX2.

Also, I'm about 99% sure the hadouken isn't in the PC port, because I tried for days to unlock it and never could. I'm absolutely certain I satisfied the conditions, because I maxed out everything in the game.

It's in there. I never unlocked it the traditional way, the conditions are different and harder. But I KNOW I preformed it via the "xstuff" cheat code

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I just can't get behind this opinion. I love the SNES/PSX versions too much.

The PC version of MMX sounds somewhat close to using a Genesis soundchip. Maybe that's why you like it better?

I don't think it sounds anything like a genesis, actually. My absolute favorite version of the MMX soundtrack is Lazy Gecko's sega remixes, though:

This in particular might be my favorite thing he's ever created:

And is very easily one of the best things to ever grace the YM2612.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Enh, I'm not much of a musical expert but there's something really hollow sounding about that Mega Man X soundfont. It just doesn't have the "zing". It sounds like the kind of entry-level cheap "remixes" you can find on YouTube.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's in there. I never unlocked it the traditional way, but I know I preformed it via the "xstuff" cheat code

maaaan, I spent days grinding in Armor'd Armadillo's stage, just filling everything up, getting to the cliff, having the capsule not show up, then trying again and again. Eventually beat the game without it, though.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Can't you run MMX through a Roland SoundCanvas or something to get a nicer sound? Or at least an MT32?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get the PSX music running on the Steam version of FF7, hate messing with midi emulators.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Come on, PC sounds much better. PSX version has a huge problem of repeating synths over multiple tracks.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
FF7 OST is different, MMX OST is just bad. The port of the actual gameplay/visuals was pretty good for the time, though!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Maverick Hunter X on PSP had some really nice remixes of the original X tunes. SNES is still king tho.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people dislike that One Winged Angel in FFVII PC lacks the vocals, but aside from that, I feel the instrumentation is way better:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Come on, PC sounds much better. PSX version has a huge problem of repeating synths over multiple tracks.

I think its a mix between better and worse on a track by track basis. Like I think the battle theme is better on PSX because of the trumpets. You can barely hear them on the PC version. Yeah their a little crusty but damn if they don't make an impression.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the steam version already had the PSX version music?

The PC version of FFVII came with a special driver on the disk for windows 95 that changed the sound font for your soundcard. The game actually sounds very different depending on which driver you are using. Most people only ever use their standard soundcard's driver, especially today, and it sounds very, very different than the Yamaha XG drivers on the disk.

what is really neat is using that driver with non-FFVII games, because it also makes them sound different.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I miss when PC versions and consoles in general all had different sound signatures between each other. Things are more boring in this front nowadays with streamable audio.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I bought extra RAM for my SoundBlaster AWE32 for FF7 so I could fit the larger 4MB? soundfont that came with the game, which did include the One-Winged Angel vocals. Sounded more or less identical to the PSX version, though I assume DSP effects would differ slightly.

I had some fun reusing that soundfont for my own MIDI compositions.

Last edited:

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
A lot of people dislike that One Winged Angel in FFVII PC lacks the vocals, but aside from that, I feel the instrumentation is way better:

I think overall the PC FF7 soundtrack is solid but I'm really not a fan of this. The opening notes/instruments just sound too harsh and clash with the rest of the backing.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
I might have to agree with you on the PC version of FF VII except for One Winged Angel. No voices kill the song entirely. No chance with Mega Man X though. SNES version is really superior in every way.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Ooof. No I'm sorry, that's so much worse. Tracks and instruments are straight up missing in the Megaman X one. I mean I understand getting attached to something if it's what you are used to, but there is just so much information and timbre missing from those.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it sounds anything like a genesis, actually. My absolute favorite version of the MMX soundtrack is Lazy Gecko's sega remixes, though:

This in particular might be my favorite thing he's ever created:

And is very easily one of the best things to ever grace the YM2612.

How do you make a genesis cover and make the bass worse??

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version of the MMX soundtrack was just converted over by the lead programmer, which makes total sense when you listen to it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah I haven't really given the FF7 PC tracks a listen to before and there are some definite winners. It really shines with the less bombastic tracks for sure. The strings, percussion, and woodwinds sound way more pleasant. That being said the crunchyness of the guitars and brass on the PSX version make all the difference to me. The battle themes for example are just way better on PS because of that to me.

Now Mega Man X PC? Thats shit sounds tragic Im sorry. No oomph at all. Bought to put me to sleep.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Jenova sounds positively otherworldly in the XG version. I love those synths.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Jesus op,that megaman x pc ost sounds awful. Not just different, awful.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The PC version of FFVII came with a special driver on the disk for windows 95 that changed the sound font for your soundcard. The game actually sounds very different depending on which driver you are using. Most people only ever use their standard soundcard's driver, especially today, and it sounds very, very different than the Yamaha XG drivers on the disk.

what is really neat is using that driver with non-FFVII games, because it also makes them sound different.
Because I went digging for it...

That is the version I heard thanks to having a SoundBlaster AWE32 with onboard RAM. When the game booted, it would load in its own soundfont and thus...

One Winged Angel can sing again. Amusingly, I played FF7 on PC twice, once before getting this card, and thus using the kind of poor General midi version, and once after using the soundfont version. I had no idea One Winged Angel had lyrics at the time, so when they started up, in a battle theme I thought I already knew quite well... Well, it was a fun surprise.

It amuses me a little how it works, though. There's one instrument that just has all the vocal samples. So you play a certain note and you get a line of the song.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It all reminds me of MIDI music when they try to simulate a human voice with MIDI instruments. Sounds like a mess.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I with you OP, I actually pefer the vanilla SFII OST on the SNES to the arcade version. I like the higher notes and rhythm more.