• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Well, it's a pop song. I don't listen to this kind of music, but I don't find it especially atrocious. Or at least, not worst that all the other pop songs that in my mind that I would consider forgettable.

Btw, what is dad rock? Are The Stooges dad rock?

I don't get what many people don't like about Eurodance. These melodies are so memoryable, have a great chill leadup (with atmospheric synth pads) and then go full energy delivering punchy basslines in the refrain. All of that while having melodies that get stuck in the head immediately

In my mind, they are just basic. No strength, no soul, no message. But I'm the kind of person that like to cry listen to Street Spirit by Radiohead. In my youth, I would have said that I hate those songs, now I just ignore them. And by "those songs", I mean the popular songs, like that Dance Monkey, or I'm Blue by Eiffel65.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I can see why some people like it. it's a weird song with weird vocals and a weird video. People like weird shit.

Two things that really stand out about it is that I thought for sure she was a non English speaking singer when I first heard it, but her speaking voice sounds so different from her singing voice it bothers me.

The second thing that stands out is that for a song called "dance monkey" it certainly doesn't make me want to dance.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Well, thanks :(

I don't get what many people don't like about Eurodance. These melodies are so memoryable, have a great chill leadup (with atmospheric synth pads) and then go full energy delivering punchy basslines in the refrain. All of that while having melodies that get stuck in the head immediately

Have you tried trance music?

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
I can see why some people like it. it's a weird song with weird vocals and a weird video. People like weird shit.

Two things that really stand out about it is that I thought for sure she was a non English speaking singer when I first heard it, but her speaking voice sounds so different from her singing voice it bothers me.

The second thing that stands out is that for a song called "dance monkey" it certainly doesn't make me want to dance.
is it really that weird though? I've heard that Indy voice everywhere on a lot of songs now

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's a pop song. I don't listen to this kind of music, but I don't find it especially atrocious. Or at least, not worst that all the other pop songs that in my mind that I would consider forgettable.

Btw, what is dad rock? Are The Stooges dad rock?

In my mind, they are just basic. No strength, no soul, no message. But I'm the kind of person that like to cry listen to Street Spirit by Radiohead. In my youth, I would have said that I hate those songs, now I just ignore them. And by "those songs", I mean the popular songs, like that Dance Monkey, or I'm Blue by Eiffel65.
I think what makes it so good is that it's basic. So many modern songs clustering the songs full with unnecessary effects or melodies that have so many notes in their chords that you don't even hear the main melody anymore. With eurodance, it's a nice simple yet memorable melody, a nice rhythmic bassline which accompanies the melody and memorable vocals. I also disagree that it lacks strength. I mean the punchy bassline of eurodance tracks deliver great energy. Also, Eurodance tracks have many great little details in their tracks.

I disagree that it has no soul. Let's take I'm Blue for example. I think that sound is pretty emotional, especially in the lead up. Listen to the synth pads that play in the beginning of the song and in the refrain:

https://clyp.it/vgr1hezs I think that's pretty emotional and beautiful.

Have you tried trance music?

Yeah. I used to like trance, but nowadays they lack the melody as well. I mean the melodies are not bad, but they are not great either imho.

Last edited:

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
"Vile" seems a bit much. I like the song but I can definitely get why some wouldn't, between the mediocre writing, the lack of any real melody, and the singer's very breathy voice, but I hear much worse on the radio regularly.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I think what makes it so good is that it's basic. So many modern songs clustering the songs full with unnecessary effects or melodies that have so many notes in their chords that you don't even hear the main melody anymore. With eurodance, it's a nice simple yet memorable melody, a nice rhythmic bassline which accompanies the melody and memorable vocals. I also disagree that it lacks strength. I mean the punchy bassline of eurodance tracks deliver great energy. Also, Eurodance tracks have many great little details in their tracks.

I also disagree that it has no soul. Let's take I'm Blue for example. I think that sound is pretty emotional, especially in the lead up. Listen to the synth pads that play in the beginning of the song and in the refrain:

https://clyp.it/vgr1hezs I think that's pretty emotional and beautiful.

You won't be able to change my mind on eurodance, or on popular songs and that's okay. Like I said, I just ignore these kind of songs nowadays. We all have different taste. When I was a teenager, just like you did, I would have tried to convert you to "real music", but now I don't care, listen to what you like.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You won't be able to change my mind on eurodance, or on popular songs and that's okay. Like I said, I just ignore these kind of songs nowadays. We all have different taste. When I was a teenager, just like you did, I would have tried to convert to "real music", but now I don't care, listen to what you like.
I was not trying to change your mind, it's okay when you have a different taste. I just gave you my perspective on Eurodance.

What's real music though? There is no such thing. It's really all subjective. I just like the eurodance music more than todays music. That's all there is to it...

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I was not trying to change your mind, it's okay when you have a different taste. I just gave you my perspective on Eurodance.

What's real music though? There is no such thing. It's really all subjective.

When I was a teenager, "real music" would have been "good music". Hey, but that was more than 15 years ago, so you don't have to take that "real music" thing seriously. I was an idiot back then.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a teenager, "real music" would have been "good music". Hey, but that was more than 15 years ago, so you don't have to take that "real music" thing seriously. I was an idiot back then.
Well, I overracted in my first post. I'm just sad that music does no longer target to my music taste. It's not like I think music today is bad simply because it's made today. I try to hear to a lot recent songs and I desperately want to find a great new track that I like, but it just doesn't happen. And that makes me really sad, because I was really into music.

The reason I overreacted is because OP literally bashes one of the very, very few recent tracks I like, one that allows me to escape from the 90s and early 2000s for a short time, so I took it a bit personal. Sorry.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Dance Monkey and I can be a hipster about it. I posted it on Pop-ERA back in May.

Edit: July 3rd, apparently.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I first heard the song on Triple J (Australia's youth-orientated radio station) before it really took off. I thought it sounded off (mostly because of the vocals) but I didn't mind it.

A month later, I hear it everywhere and I started to dislike it. I do like the latest song from the artist though.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Never heard of this until today...and it was pretty much a wee bit shitty. Nothing that awful, but definitely bland and mostly inoffensive, with the voice being the worst part. Even then, I've heard WAY worse.
It's riding that line of nondescript crap that I thought never leaves an impression on people, yet I'm seeing it described as "another powerhouse melody" on it's Wiki page by ABC, one that will "instantly lodge itself in your brain". Nah, I just don't see it, the video is more memorable than the music. My morning shit was more musically satisfying.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Calling it "vile" is a bit much considering it still manages to sound unique compared to 99% of other songs that are currently charting. For me, I'm kind of hung up on how corny the vocals sound due to their use of that "indie voice" style/fad.

It makes the singer sound like she's from Die Antwoord 😂😂😂

OP
OP
NekoNeko

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Die Antwoord is cool though. At best this sounds like a kids bop version of their songs.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
just listen to gordon lightfoot and michael murphey and dan fogelberg like me
EAXzQ42UIAAHLEI

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I'm glad I don't listen or know about the charts sometimes. Never heard of this. Let' me search this in private browsing.
EDIT : wow that was a super boring and generic song.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't really listen to popular music for the most part so I just played this for the first time and honestly it just seems really forgettable.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
I can't stand the stupid accent the singer puts on

All vocalists need to stop doing the stupid fuckin indie singer voice. It's so distracting

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
I just listened. Never heard it before. Holy shit it has 500 million views. It wasn't that bad.

Here's a interview where she explains the song

She'd busk and drunk people would yell at her to keep singing. So she wrote the song and put dance instead of sing so it wouldn't be as personal.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
They came up with a cool melody and then decided to be as annoying as hell with it instead of making something they're proud of. Zero energy by the musicians - like most radio pop now. Throw it in the trash with Maroon 5 post-SAJ.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Jeez, didn't know this song was so divisive. I loved it the first time I heard it. My wife thought it was a little weird but pretty soon she was listening to it all the time as well.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do your top 40 stations even play this song? I've only heard it on the alternative rock station or whatever the genre is called now(imagine dragons, 21 pilots, and 90's alt rock) It's like they're trying to make it stick but couldn't find a place for it. It seems really out of place whenever I hear it. It is also an awful song

Oct 26, 2017
Just listened for first time. It's pretty good and catchy, except ...that voice. Nails on a chalkboard.

Wait. Who does this song? Spotify played one by "Tones and I." Is Janet Hill the one I should listen to?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Had to google it.

Yep I recognize that song, but I don't listen to the "radio" much, so I've only heard it maybe twice.

Googled the Artist(s) behind it too, never heard of them.

Edit** Just listened to Janet Hill versions, so there's two different versions? The Janet Hill one isn't as "shrill".

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Dance Monkey doesn't differ much from the rest. Modern pop music is just hot garbage in general as far as I'm concernced.
Used to listen to the radio for the longest part of my life, but it's been completely ruined over the past decade. I'm constantly looking for pop music outside the mainstream that I might enjoy, but even then it's reeeeeeaaaaally difficult to find good stuff.
And then era makes a thread "post bangers" and people post nothing but shit! :'D

And this Maroon 5 song rn... it's absolute garbage right? People probably only listen to it bc of the lyrics. Melody or whatever, doesn't matter anymore.

My god this is so depressing lol

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep I find her voice and the way she says the words extremely annoying.

But the beat is fun enough.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, it's awful, with insipid lyrics and weird, unpleasant vocals. And the weird, unpleasant vocals are the only thing that make what is otherwise a really bland, uninteresting song stand out.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Just listened to it. It's a catchy little dance song. Not really understanding the hyperbole in the OP.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Calling it "vile" is a bit much considering it still manages to sound unique compared to 99% of other songs that are currently charting. For me, I'm kind of hung up on how corny the vocals sound due to their use of that "indie voice" style/fad.

It makes the singer sound like she's from Die Antwoord 😂😂😂

Yep. Honestly though, it's not bad and it's a bit refreshing compared to most other recent songs. It's just getting overplayed right now.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
She'd busk and drunk people would yell at her to keep singing. So she wrote the song and put dance instead of sing so it wouldn't be as personal.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon her busking in Byron Bay (only slightly drunk). She wasn't famous at the time but holy fuck she was awesome and there was a giant crowd around her going off. It was surreal.