• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It just popped into my head that I used to have a ton of ten digit phone numbers of friends and family memorized. A few still stay with me to this day. I can't even tell you the area code of a single person whose number I've gotten since like 2010.

It's funny to think that outside of maybe their home phone number kids today probably haven't had to memorize anyone's number.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm always embarrassed when I'm asked for my wife's phone number and I have to look it up. Yet I still remember the number of the house I grew up in 25 year's ago.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I have no idea what anyone's phone number is and often forget my own.

I lost my phone for a bit last year and was crippled by it because yeah, I didn't even know my own girlfriend's number.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally only remember my own and my mothers but only because they've been the same for the last twenty years. I don't know my wife's which is embarrassing.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things I force myself to try and do because I know if I rely on technology for everything if I lose my phone I'm completely screwed.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Kids? I am 27 and know my immediate family's phone numbers by memory, as well as a girlfriend's if I am dating someone. No one else my age knows them!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I remember my childhood phone number, my grandmother's number, three different childhood friends who I don't even speak to anymore, and - very weirdly - my original debit card number in its entirety.

I know my partner's phone number for emergencies but not with 100% confidence. I forget the order of the first three digits a lot. Can't seem to get it down after... 7 years. That is the only phone number I know and I barely even know it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Kids? I'm 37 and literally the only phone number i recognize is my own. I mean, i have to look up my own mobile phone number.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
When I was a kid I knew my home number and at least 3 friends, but they all shared the same area code. It was only five digits then too!
These days I don't think I could reel off anyone but my own and my wife's without looking it up. Fortunately my parents still use the same landline more than they do mobiles.

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always embarrassed when I'm asked for my wife's phone number and I have to look it up. Yet I still remember the number of the house I grew up in 25 year's ago.
My mom joked about getting rid of the landline number a few months ago. I haven't used it in over a decade because my parents use cell phones. It's been the same number my whole life though and I still have it memorized.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Even back in the day I sucked at memorizing phone numbers. I used to keep a little address book. I got a Sharp Wizard Organizer when they came out and upgraded to a Palm Pilot, which was ok. Remembering to input the numbers was always a pain.

I still remember my brothers number and my old number from the house growing up, but that's about it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has to ask people for their phone numbers as part of my job, easily 50% don't even know their own phone number or even where to look for it on their own phone.

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Kids? I'm 37 and literally the only phone number i recognize is my own. I mean, i have to look up my own mobile phone number.
But surely at some point in your life you had several numbers memorized because you couldn't just save them to your phone and you actually dialed it enough times that it stuck. I don't think "kids" today will have that same experience.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Addresses too, even directions. I still don't know how to get places I've been over 10 times due to relying on GPS.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
But surely at some point in your life you had several numbers memorized because you couldn't just save them to your phone and you actually dialed it enough times that it stuck. I don't think "kids" today will have that same experience.

Nah, i had a lot of paper shit with phone numbers on them.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I used to know a few. These days I only remember the numbers of my immediate loved ones.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
It was a easier too because you only needed to know one number per family. Now everyone has a phone, it's a lot to remember.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when you only had to dial 7 numbers, area code wasn't necessary (unless you were calling outside of yours)

Now I barely remember mine

Oct 25, 2017
I used to know like...4 phone numbers. One of them was a bank with an automated time and temperature service.

Now I only know my own number.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I still remember the phone number to my dad's home phone, despite that phone line having been disconnected for years at this point and my dad having passed away a few years ago. Although I suppose it helps that his home number was nigh identical to my home number, just the last four digits were different.

Think now the only numbers I remember (that I actually use) are my home number, my cell number, and my grandpa's cell number (probably because we've had those numbers my entire life).

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the border generation that remembers pre and post internet and cell phones by virtue of being born in 1985. It really is fascinating the things I experienced as a kid that I saw phased out of existence. This is one of the greatest transitional periods in terms of change the planet has ever experienced. I remember having to memorize phone numbers and check newspapers for movie times as well as the transition to digital life. I am the last generation that will have lived a ton of analog realities.

That being said I work IT, one of my pet peeves is how many younger workes refuse to pick up a phone and call clients to resolve issues. It's infinitely better then a fire and forget email.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember some major phone numbers I call frequently, but I've slowly put it together that I've been a crotchety boomer since I was 13 in 2006.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've got all the important ones remembered, immediate family and my partner. Any one else I talk to through things like Hangouts or Discord, so I don't really need a number.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I still remember my best friend phone number form the house he grew up in 35y later, and I use the first 4 digits as my goto pin number

It was funny when 3y ago he told me his pin number for one of his cards and it was the phone number of my parents house lol

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't they know numbers? I know mine, my wifes, my best friends and a few family members mobile numbers off the top of my head just seeing them when they call etc. I'd assume they know their most used mobile numbers too

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
I know my own number, my father's landline (because I used to live there) and my sister's mobile (purely because It's the number I used to always put down as my emergency contact when I was filling forms and the like before I met my wife).

Beyond that, I'd be fucked without my contacts list.

May 10, 2018
Definitely, I still remember the number of the house I grew up in and my grandad's number from almost 20 years ago.

Currently I know my number and couldn't tell you anyone else's that's in my contacts.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I literally only know my number, my mom's home and cell, and my grandpa's home and cell

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
OP this only applied to those who were generally poor. Speed dial existed.
I don't think thats true. Speed dial for your numbers wouldn't be on every phone you use everywhere you go or even within the same household with multiple siblings. That's even if a child were allowed the benefit. My parents set the speed dial numbers.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think thats true. Speed dial for your numbers wouldn't be on every phone you use everywhere you go or even within the same household with multiple siblings. That's even if a child were allowed the benefit. My parents set the speed dial numbers.
My home phone has some speed numbers. My friends had a lot of them. My home phone was like 12 on the list. It was nice.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i never had more than my home phone / eventually family cell phone numbers memorized. always had to go looking in the school directory for friend's phone numbers.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
We used to compete and see who knew the most numbers. They were 7 digits back then because we didn't need an area code.