• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last night. Pharaoh Karaoke, K-town in Los Angeles.

You have to take a weird elevator to get down to the basement level. My three friends and I get in, a guy comes running up, I hold the door for him. We remark on how bizarre the whole set-up is as we descend, and we both get off the elevator. We walk up to the welcome desk, but it's chaotic in there, I eventually learn our reservation isn't till a bit later...and suddenly, my friends are gone. Where did they go?

Neither of us has our parties here yet, apparently, so he offers to come around with me to find them. Nice guy! Shakes my hand, says his name is Max, he lives close by. Just looking for a chill night. We talk for a few minutes about nothing in particular, cool LA stuff we'd done, as we go back upstairs, wander a bit, circle back down. I text my friends, but I don't really have a signal.

Finally, I see them. As I walk over, and start to say "Hey, this is--", one of the girls comes up and absolutely starts SCREAMING. That he wasn't welcome here, or anywhere, and that he was making everyone feel unsafe, how dare he...! I couldn't even fathom a scenario that made sense, here. This was a random dude who she couldn't possibly have known? Was it an ex? Why wouldn't she have said so earlier? Should I stop this? What's going--

And then one of my other friends comes up to me and whispers "That's Max Landis. Let her do her thing."

oh, Oh, OH---

We basically kind of stood behind her, backing her up, but she had it handled. He made some weak protests, but eventually she drove him right into an elevator and presumably out of the building. I felt awful, of course, but I just didn't recognize the dude. I think I saw a picture of him once, but he'd changed his hair and I didn't exactly study the guy.

Of all the possibly celebrities to just have a chill run-in with in Los Angeles, I get one of the absolute worst? Goddamn. But kudos to my friends for having my back, and especially to the fucking legend who drove him away. We then later sung Sam Smith and everyone had rounds of peach Soju so it was cool.

Whew.

Oct 25, 2017
We walk up to the welcome desk, but it's chaotic in there, I eventually learn our reservation isn't till a bit later...and suddenly, my friends are gone. Where did they go?

Neither of us has our parties here yet, apparently, so he offers to come around with me to find them. Nice guy! Shakes my hand, says his name is Max, he lives close by. Just looking for a chill night. We talk for a few minutes about nothing in particular, cool LA stuff we'd done, as we go back upstairs, wander a bit, circle back down. I text my friends, but I don't really have a signal.
This is like the beginning of some Saw-esque horror movie

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I feel bad as one of the people who wanted to defend Max Landis in the past, before there were actual allegations. Now I still feel dirty.

Also, Peach Soju is great.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I feel bad as one of the people who wanted to defend Max Landis in the past, before there were actual allegations. Now I still feel dirty.

Also, Peach Soju is great.

Don't feel bad, you're a good person for changing your perspective and actually have enough of a heart to feel bad for doing it. People who still support and defend him even after the allegations are the bad people.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
We were in a weird basement of a weird mall. It was definitely in and out down there.

Ah that makes sense yeah, concrete and all that.

Me and my friends always have a safety first rule when going out, even in our own city. Look after each other, always have someone with you when going home or going somewhere. You need a support for whatever happens , be it for creeps or when someone falls too ill to get home alone.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Every time I see him and his dad on Trailers From Hell I get a gross feeling in my stomach. I watch his dad's stuff, because Joe Dante let's John cover some of the best films out there, but I won't watch Max's shit. He's annoying anyway.

Maybe I'm part of the problem if I ignore a known child murderer but condemn an accused rapist, but I mean...

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Not a celebrity story, but I had a similar experience.

Worked with a guy at my last job, really good looking and friendly as hell. I got a vibe of "I need a friend' bad off him when he and I talked, so I ended up bonding. He was a super big comics geek so we talked Marvel a lot. One day he was gone. I pinged his friend because I had a stack of his comics I wanted to return. She said he was going to be back soon, but the union had to work with him. I started getting a bit suspicious, but I wanted to talk to my friend so I started a text conversation with him.

The day after Stan Lee died was the last time we talked via text message. That day I realized it had been a month since he had been to work and I'm on the toilet and decided to Google the guy.

Former school teacher. Violated parole. Was caught molesting an 8 year old girl across the country in Oregon. Was also convicted of assaulting his wife, who was pregnant at the time. Was on house arrest. Convicted child molester.

Yeah, he got put on ignore.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Not a celebrity story, but I had a similar experience.

Worked with a guy at my last job, really good looking and friendly as hell. I got a vibe of "I need a friend' bad off him when he and I talked, so I ended up bonding. He was a super big comics geek so we talked Marvel a lot. One day he was gone. I pinged his friend because I had a stack of his comics I wanted to return. She said he was going to be back soon, but the union had to work with him. I started getting a bit suspicious, but I wanted to talk to my friend so I started a text conversation with him.

The day after Stan Lee died was the last time we talked via text message. That day I realized it had been a month since he had been to work and I'm on the toilet and decided to Google the guy.

Former school teacher. Violated parole. Was caught molesting an 8 year old girl across the country in Oregon. Was also convicted of assaulting his wife, who was pregnant at the time. Was on house arrest. Convicted child molester.

Yeah, he got put on ignore.
That's like that one Curb Your Enthusiasm episode...

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You know what's sad? You google the ex-girlfriend of his that accused him of abuse and rape and almost every picture of her is either just Max himself or her with Max.

Imagine you google yourself and all you see is pics of your rapist or you AND your rapist.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I hate that I figured out where this story was going as soon as I saw the name "Max." Good on ya for being safe and responsible, OP. You have wonderful friends.