• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know RHCP got so much hate, but I guess I'm not surprised. Every day it seems we have a "what's a popular thing you hate" thread, so I've come to accept that people just love to hate.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Still my all time favorites. Definitely the opposite of a band with just a few good singles. Many albums are amazing front to back, and almost everything Frusciante does is genius IMO, form simple to complex. Great mixing too minus Californiation , though the last album is the first that I pretty much don't like overall. :(

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I think of RHCP I think of I DON'T EVER WANNA FEEEEEEEL.... LIKE I DID THAT DAY!

Aeroplane (Beavis and Butthead soundtrack, right?) EDIT: WAIT IT WAS "LOVE ROLLERCOASTER"

and Flea playing naked with a sock on his ding dong.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
everything after BSSM is straight trash, but BSSM is a legit 90s rock classic.

i can't believe one hot minute was as bad as it was. should've been incredible! then californication was even worse.

mother's milk is prob my favourite.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know RHCP got so much hate, but I guess I'm not surprised. Every day it seems we have a "what's a popular thing you hate" thread, so I've come to accept that people just love to hate.
It's this, especially when it comes to music. The one poster who commented that they "skip all the singles and only listen to the rest" is the epitope of smelling your own farts.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I love Stadium Arcadium,both discs.
'I'm with you' was meh imo,i've stopped following them after that album.
But yeah,RHCP were iconic during my highschool days.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was aware of and respected them growing up but they didn't interest me until Blood Sugar which is an excellent record, possibly in my top ten. And never cared for another album ever, though again respect them and they are in the "would never pick it but if someone was playing it wouldn't ask to change it" category for me.

And obviously flea is an interesting guy.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but the backlash against RHCP in the past decade feels similar to the backlash against Friends. Maybe both of them were institutions for me growing up, but I loved them and am still fond of them despite recognizing how silly they are as cultural entities and not revisiting them with any regularity. One Hot Minute is straight gas.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
As others have said Californication is great. Stadium Arcadium is good but they should have cut the fat and made it one disc.

As a side note 'I could have lied' is my favorite RHCP track ever.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Sure we can all agree that Anthony has written some god awful lyrics though.

I know, I know for sure
Ding, dang, dong, dong, deng, deng, dong, dong, ding, dang
I know, I know it's you
Ding, dang, dong, dong, deng, deng, dong, dong, ding, dang

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is nuts. RHCP's style changed post BSSM but their quality did not suffer. Californication, By The Way AND Stadium Arcadium are phenomenal but not as bass/funk heavy. Frusciante's influence is definitely more apparent than Fleas on BTW & SA, so the sound is different but the quality is still very high.

I didn't love the last project but the first post-Frusciante project wasn't terrible. They went through a similar, albeit significantly less jarring shift in sound as Radiohead did.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
red-hot-chili-peppers-californication-frontal-album-376151705.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
People overlook By the Way and it's a shame. It is such a beautiful album that explores a lot of different sounds. It's only negative is Rick Rubin's production. Loudness war nonsense.