• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
WAIT...

The voice actor for Spider-Man on PS4 shares the same first name as Yuri Watanabe, partner of Spider-Cop?!

My head just 'sploded.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
There's a moment just after finishing the gameplay part of the final boss where one of his lines gave me a shiver because the delivery was so on point, yeah he's phenomenal.

The whole game is a serious triumph and having a perfect VA for Spiderman just tops it off.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I know not many people will agree with me, but I really liked Christopher Daniel Barnes voice in the 1994 cartoon.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go Josh Keaton and then Yuri I think.

Voice acting was the weak link of Into the Spiderverse. At least the main characters
None of the leads could emote even close to a regular voice actor. Every line felt out of the booth.
Surprised it's being praised so much.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As do I. If this thread is any indication this seems to be an upopular opinion these days?
No? It's just not really in the heads of a lot of people now, several haven't even seen it.

For me it's just a bit too specific and gruff. He sounds like what I expect MC2 Pete from the Spider-Girl comics to sound like.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
As do I. If this thread is any indication this seems to be an upopular opinion these days?
It really shouldn't be. If people are griping about comic book accuracy or animation quality it only goes downhill from there.

I haven't watched Spectacular but the last couple series were real baaaaaaad.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Yuri's great. He hits emotional beats with his voice acting extremely well. He hammed up Peter's Spider-Cop lines hilariously and though you hear him a lot in video games in general he was a perfect fit for the role.

My favorite role of his will always be of Luke/Asch from Tales of the Abyss though.
He nailed Luke's nervous breakdown in Akzeriuth so well. His voice broke and trembled, and past the stiff PS2 animation and graphics you could tell Luke was sobbing from just his voice.

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Lowenthal > Holland > Keaton in my book. He really nailed the balance between the more serious and comedic aspects of the character.

I guess one of the reasons I love the concept of Spider-Verse is that I can really imagine the different incarnations of the character interacting with each other. Largely they're the same, but in character, I could see Lowenthal, Holland, and Johnson, for example, interact in hilarious ways because there are subtle nuances to their individual performances and characterizations. Spider-Verse spoiler:
A special shout-out goes to Chris Pine's Spidey, which I would've loved to see more of.

I never cared much for Tobey Maguire and Drake Bell in the role though.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Best Spiderman? Debatable. Best Yosuke Hanamura? Oh you better believe it.

P.S. stop hating on Tobey Macguire. Tom Holland is great but Sam Raimi's movies were near perfect and I don't think he'd fit in them - a shame his own Spiderman movie was terrible. At least we can all agree Andrew Garfield is the worst Spiderman in the worst movies.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I've found him pretty boring to be honest. I would take Peter or Miles from Spider-verse over him anyday.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree with this at all.

Tobey's Spidey doesn't really have the quips or wit that Spidey is supposed to have, Holland's Spidey has that stuff on lockdown right down to near perfect comedic timing with them. And Tobey's Peter is more like a Hollywood stereotype of a nerd that you'd see on The Big Bang Theory, Holland has the more socially awkward but believable geek vibe to him which makes his Peter way more believable for me.

Garfield's Spidey and Peter, through no fault of his own because it's a writing problem, is a creep and kind of an asshole. He's at the bottom of the list by far.

So like the original comics then... Tobey's Spidey-quips were spot on with the early (aka best) run's corny stuff. And Holland is the Big Bang Theory nerd, I just watched Infinity War where he referenced Alien. Peter isnt the 2018 "nerd" kid who gets Geek Crate and listens to nerdcore and plays Skyrim more than he posts on Facebook and is shy around girls and references popular movies. The further you get from the stereotypical nerd archetype, the further you get from the core of the character and the dilemma his transformation presents to the character. Be honest, do you really truly buy that the character we are presented with in Homecoming could build webshooters? Peter should be completely absorbed in science and math, that is his personality 100% to a fault and anything less than that just creates a completely unreasonable scenario where the quiet awkward guy in math class who gets good grades is actually a super-scientist. They didn't even bother with Holland's origin, and I think its partially because Sony tried a similar style of Peter with Garfield and it clashed completely with the origin tale. Tobey's was perfect, Raimi didn't try to reinvent the wheel because that wheel already drove the bus to the top of the mountain.

And tbh I dont believe Stan when he said Holland was his favorite. He was a pitchman who was probably put on the spot during a press tour for a movie he was EP for, what is he supposed to say. Not saying he liked Tobey's better but still

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't do his origin in Homecoming because literally nobody wants to watch Uncle Ben die again.

Raimi fans are the fucking worst when trying to discuss anything Spidey.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
It's more of a pantheon.

Yuri makes it but Josh Keaton is the best one imo and maybe the only one that can step to Kevin Conroy as Bats. Jake Johnson is definitely up there as are many of his counterparts even in Spiderverse. And can't forget about CDB. If Spectacular didn't exist he'd be tops.

I like Holland most for live action.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peter should be completely absorbed in science and math, that is his personality 100% to a fault and anything less than that just creates a completely unreasonable scenario where the quiet awkward guy in math class who gets good grades is actually a super-scientist.
I can't even fucking begin to parse how wrong and weird this is and how specific you're being in not applying any of this to the Raimi version.

This whole paragraph is such a very specific bit of nonsense that feels like it comes from a weirdly personal place. Your criticism is unironically "he's a fake nerd".

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peter should be completely absorbed in science and math, that is his personality 100% to a fault and anything less than that just creates a completely unreasonable scenario where the quiet awkward guy in math class who gets good grades is actually a super-scientist.
That's not a personality. What the fuck is this post, man.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't do his origin in Homecoming because literally nobody wants to watch Uncle Ben die again.

Lol that's why I said partially. Also holy shit I'm so sorry for preferring Raimi's take over Feige's, apparently opinions are not allowed...

Oh and by the way Homecoming was really good and I think Holland is pretty good *mindblown*

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
It was good, but there are just some parts where he screams and just sounds a little forced.

I did like Jake Johnson, but that's Peter after being Spidey for over 20 years. The man is just kind of going through the motions at that point.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine but jesus christ your reasoning is so weird compared to everyone else's.

Alright... well I guess there was probably a reason that he was originally created with the traits he was. Im not saying no one is allowed to change Spiderman or he cant be something else, but as a hero's journey the original take works better and Raimi's is way closer to that, realistic or not (in a thread about Spiderman)

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

Raimi Spider-Man is so trash. I had to re-watch Spider-Man 2 recently to make sure I wasn't trippin. The only good parts of the movie is when he snuck some Evil Dead moments into the flick for no damn reason.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The further you get from the stereotypical nerd archetype, the further you get from the core of the character and the dilemma his transformation presents to the character. Be honest, do you really truly buy that the character we are presented with in Homecoming could build webshooters?
It's the same universe where the billionaire playboy philanthropist could create a compact energy source that could power a jet propulsion system in a cave. So yes? I honestly doubt many people actually think "he's not socially-awkward enough to be that smart!"

Nevertheless, I have difficulties in understanding your argument here. You said that as a hero's journey the original take works better, but in what way? You said that the new take gets further from the core of the character and the dilemma his transformation presents to the character. What's the concrete manifestation of these dilemma in both takes, and how does the level of his "nerdiness" affect those?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree.

Holland
Johnson
Keaton

All better IMO. Nobody gets a cookie for being better than Garfield.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Christopher Daniel Barnes and Josh Keaton are my favourites (along with Tobey in the movies), but Yuri was great too (though I tend to like him in just about everything, from Code Geass to Prince of Persia to Tales of the Abyss, etc).

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's understandable for why he had a few seconds of doubt...how often is the choice between tons of people and that one character?

a few seconds of doubt is wholly different from huffing and puffing and getting the antidote as close to her IV as possible without actually doing it

that one scene is the lone whiff of the game though it just happened at a really unfortunate moment

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't think that there is a definitive Spider-Man in the same way that Kevin Conroy is the definitive Batman.

A lot of actors have played Spider-Man and I think a lot of them have done an excellent job, including Yuri. I don't think that Yuri's performance at the end of Spider-Man should be overlooked but at the same time... those were some wonderfully written scenes. A lot of actors playing Spider-Man don't get the chance to act out scenes like those.

Regardless, Yuri is definitely high on my list. I still have a soft spot for Christopher Daniel Barnes' performance. I think he's an excellent "older" Spider-Man and his internal monologues are top tier.

a few seconds of doubt is wholly different from huffing and puffing and getting the antidote as close to her IV as possible without actually doing it

that one scene is the lone whiff of the game though it just happened at a really unfortunate moment

It wasn't a random stranger vs. thousands of people. His reaction was completely understandable. Peter isn't some perfect moral machine that never makes mistakes and never has any conflicts in his mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Josh Keaton is the best but Yuri is a close second.
tenor.gif

But yeah It goes Josh Keaton
Chris Pine/Jake Johnson
Yuri Lowenthal
and then everyone else

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
I may be extremely biased here but I have to say while Yuri does a pretty good job for the game, he nowhere comes close to the highs that Josh Keaton does voicing Peter/Spidey... barely anyone has IMO

I mean look at this madness Josh did after the Avengers Assemble episode shaft happened because he just loves the character that much:

You can't tell me this man isn't Spidey!

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yuri is incredible in the role but it's too subjective to crown any one Actor as the absolute best just due to the different variables in all the iterations of Spider Man. There's Peter/Spidey in his Teens, 20's, and 30's and all of them are at such different points in their lives due to experiences that the nuances in the characters make the portrayal. And that's before considering the context of each of these time periods of Peter's life being contemporary to the time they were made. I.E. Tobey's "teen" Peter and Holland's "teen" Peter were always going to be very different due to the way the world was at the time the movies were made.

But if I had to pick, I'd say Holland is the best Teenage Peter/Spidey, Yuri the best 20's, and Jake Johnson the best 30's. All of their portrayals are great and ring true to the character in the context of time period.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a random stranger vs. thousands of people. His reaction was completely understandable. Peter isn't some perfect moral machine that never makes mistakes and never has any conflicts in his mind.

it was just an out of character whiff, that's all

Peter made a deal with the literal devil for selfish reasons.

yeah but there were some key differences. he was sacrificing his marriage to save a life. it's not like MJ or a bunch of other people were going to die because of that. he wasn't sacrificing thousands of lives to save one.

also, and most importantly in the context of this discussion, that story fucking sucks!

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was just an out of character whiff, that's all

yeah but there were some key differences. he was sacrificing his marriage to save a life. it's not like MJ or a bunch of other people were going to die because of that. he wasn't sacrificing thousands of lives to save one.

also, and most importantly in the context of this discussion, that story fucking sucks!

I thought it was one of the most Spider-Man moments in the game.

OF COURSE Peter is tempted to use the antidote on his aunt. But he doesn't. Because with great power comes great responsibility. It's a moment that distills what it means to be Peter Parker and Spider-Man. It shows what he has to sacrifice to embody the greater good his power, being Spider-Man, represents to him.

In the end he chose to let May die. But it would have been even more strange to me if he hadn't been tempted, or if he'd been resolute to do the "right thing" with no quibble about it at all.

OP
OP
Memento

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

OF COURSE Peter is tempted to use the antidote on his aunt. But he doesn't. Because with great power comes great responsibility. It's a moment that distills what it means to be Peter Parker and Spider-Man. It shows what he has to sacrifice to embody the greater good his power, being Spider-Man, represents to him.

In the end he chose to let May die. But it would have been even more strange to me if he hadn't been tempted, or if he'd been resolute to do the "right thing" with no quibble about it at all.

Agreed.

This game had some excelent writing btw. I didnt expect that based on the story trailer. It is really, really good.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's not about his mantra, it's not about the sacrifice, it's not about being conflicted. trust me I get all that, I've been reading the character for 20+ years at this point. hell may even spells it out for him when he says he doesn't know what to do and she's like of course you do you fucking dumb dumb! she probably would have hit him over the head if she weren't dying for even considering what he was considering. and yet there he goes anyway, after their talk, after she makes it plain as day what he needed to do, he goes over to her IV and gets as close as possible to giving her the antidote while huffing and puffing for dramatic effect. my problem was they were clearly playing up the drama in that moment without consideration for anything else and it failed in 2 aspects, the first being that the "I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna do it! ahhhhhhhhh I can't do it!" cliche is so fucking trite and also that it betrays who peter parker is as a character. a better way to do that scene would be to have it play out almost the same but when he says I don't know what to do and she says of course you do he should have given her a look that expressed his acceptance of the situation. because deep down he should have known exactly what he had to do he just didn't want to accept it. that was what the conflict should have been, accepting her death not literally stopping himself from wasting the antidote on her. huge huge difference. then he should have taken her hand and sat down next to her to accompany her in her final moments. not go "no fuck all that I'm doing it anyway! look how close I am to doing it!"

also are we spoiler tagging stuff? I figured this thread assumes completion of the game but I'll spoiler my stuff just in case

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I agree with all this, that scene is one of the best in the game and embodies the struggle of super hero and man.

Also I agree he's the best when it comes to voice acting. I enjoy Keaton a fair bit too.