• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
WhtR88t

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
lol I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a $40 game… I legit thought it was going to be $60-70 until I saw it last night.

Also, sounds like everyone in this thread thinks it's going to be short and has their expectations in check on gameplay so please ignore I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Price is no reason to check hype. It's a got a lower budget yes but plenty of budget games are great. Ratchet 2016 was $40, SotC remake was $40. I mean Hades is different but GOtY and it's what $25?

it looks fun and I'm down day 1

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think best case scenario is we get like a 6-8 hour adventure that has decent gameplay and beautiful graphics and it's success sets the studio up in the future for something much larger for Kena.

the devs have already said it's the kind of game you can beat in a weekend. 6-8 hours is highly likely, but length alone doesn't determine the value of a game.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the highest expectations I have for it is to be something on the level of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

A 6-8 hour game with a very focused singular vision that has a scope that's perfectly paired with the budget and team size contraints that the development process required.

No reason this game can't be a 9+/10 game in the same way that Hellblade and others were.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
it seems you alone need to check your hype OP, we aight.

fully expecting a nice yet short game I can complete in about 2-4 sessions.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Looked great, but I wasn't wowed by the combat to say the least. Nice effects, but seemed more flashy than substantive which gives me Hellblade flashbacks *shudder*

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I have 0 expectations, the gameplay looks ok at best and graphics are not going to sell me that easily.

Pricing means jackshit and it was never a good measure to value games.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
"6-8 hour adventure that has decent gameplay and beautiful graphics"

I love every single word of that sentence.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I looks like the kind of game that is best if it lasts 8 hours instead of 25.

I hope the low price will allow them to avoid adding unnecessary filling. A nice weekend adventure is all it needs to be to be perfect. It reminds me a lot of Kameo, Beyond Good and Evil and Starfox Adventures and that's very good, I love those and there aren't many similar games nowadays.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
lmao I can't understand why this game inspires so many threads like this.

Kena looks fantastic visually, and it being 6 or so hours long would not be a bad thing.

And even if it does underwhelm...so what? It's not a big deal. People won't be crushed. Disappointing games happen regularly.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I don't think anyone reasonably well-informed expects this game to be a "new Zelda". The game simply managed to capture people's imagination with its magical world and charming visuals, that's all, sometimes people just want an AA game that can entertain them for 6-8 hours, they just want to live an unpretentious adventure without all the bullshit that we see on blockbusters. Kena seems to be that kind of game.

Oct 25, 2017
I never even thought about the length as an issue. I'm definitely more concerned with the gameplay, which frankly I don't expect to be anywhere near as good as the visuals.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, I've seen this thread twice before. Why the concern? Why does it matter if it is $40? If it was on GP or Plus I bet OP wouldn't be concerned. I struggle to understand what the heck there is to be concerned about.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no! Kena is ONLY $40?! What will we do?

There's no way a $40 game could be great!

I've played plenty sub-$60 games that are absolute masterpieces. I'm not saying this game will be, but this game looks great and there's no reason to be less excited for it because it isn't $60, lol.

This sounds like an OP problem.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you say "we" when this thread seems more geared towards your hype and assumptions around Kena?

It's going to be a beautiful looking indie game with an interesting narrative.

nando3d

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
People are impressed by graphics, Kena is like a Pixar movie, so the expectations is high. I will buy this game somewhere in the future for PC.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe thread title needs to be

I think I need to check my expectations on Kena…
Everybody reading the thread title like

tenor.gif

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just want a short, beautiful game with a cute and somewhat good story.
If they deliver on that, I'm perfectly fine.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I've always had my expectations in check I think as they were pretty clear from the start that it was going to be a smaller, shorter and cheaper title. It just has very nice graphics for the price, but I've always figured it would be pretty simple gameplay wise and something I finished in a sitting or two.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
So... now we have the flip side where $40 game is not good...If only they charged us $70 so we know it's gotta be worth it 😅

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Wasn't Ori WOTW also like $40? I wouldn't worry about that.

Frankly, I welcome more higher-quality, lower-scope games.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Is this an open-world game?
Nope! You'll encounter a village fairly early on in the game, and that serves as a hub. From there, you can travel to several connected regions. Think of it as being wide linear. There are secrets to find and things to discover off the main path, but it's not an open-world game

How long is it?
It's tough to put an exact number on this, because of the number of side activities, but Josh says they set out to make something players could comfortably finish over a weekend.

How much does it cost?
Kena: Bridge of Spirits isn't going to be priced at $60. We don't know the exact price yet, but it won't cost as much as a traditional full-priced retail game. If you buy it on PS4, you can upgrade the game to PS5 at no additional cost, too.

www.gameinformer.com

20 Questions (And Answers) About Kena: Bridge Of Spirits

We’re sure you have a lot of questions about Ember Lab’s adventure game. And we’ve got answers!

Expectations were set a good while ago.

Though I can understand that if people missed this info they could be expecting a bigger game.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are rough on the OP. lol
I can somewhat understand if one didn't see the 20 questions thing answered by the devs a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.